• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

TheChaos0

Replay

What do Dutch Dolls and me have in common right now? We're both broken. I never want to step foot in Alice's playground again.

Had the stage down much better by the end, so each run largely hinged on whether I screwed up my strategy for Alice's 2nd card. Which I did 80% of the time. It's a surprisingly fun way to tackle it though, but probably too risky to attempt outside of Practice or on a harder difficulty.

I bow to you, master!

upandaway

Replay

What do Dutch Dolls and me have in common right now? We're both broken. I never want to step foot in Alice's playground again.

Had the stage down much better by the end, so each run largely hinged on whether I screwed up my strategy for Alice's 2nd card. Which I did 80% of the time. It's a surprisingly fun way to tackle it though, but probably too risky to attempt outside of Practice or on a harder difficulty.
QiTqloS.jpg

Oh, this makes me so happy! I've always been a really big fan of Touhou and other doujin games. I own most of the games and a lot of merchandise.

And I was always a little bit sad that there seemed to not be a lot of awareness or people talking about Touhou on NeoGAF. I'm so happy to finally have a place to talk about it.

Touhou helped get me into STGs and I'm sure it's done that for many people. When I was a child I didn't have much money to spend on video games and so a lot of what I bought and played were Japanese RPGs. And I had limited experience with STGs, I remembered playing Phalanx on the SNES and enjoying that. As well as occassionally playing games at local arcades and thinking they were fun, especially as there were lots of bullets on the screen. But not much other than that, and they weren't a large part of my gaming.

But after discovering Touhou several years ago, and having a lot more money to spend on video games. Having enjoyed plenty of long RPGs, and having enjoyed a lot of stories. Not only did Touhou introduce me to other world I love and lots of interesting characters. It really made me appreciate and learn to become a really big fan of STGs.

I've started going back and playing a lot of STGs thanks to Touhou. DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou and the other DonPachi/DoDonPachi games outside of Touhou. As well as Cave and Toaplan games. Also, being a big fan of games like the Tales series made playing Sol-Deace for the SEGA Mega Drive a lot of fun, knowing that it was made by Wolf Team. There's also games like Magical Chase, Cotton, Keio Flying Squadron, and Twinkle Star Sprites, that are all dear to my heart, that I never would have discovered if it weren't for Touhou Project.

I sure hope that Touhou games come to Steam someday. I want to buy them all again.

It is a little surprising that there's not much discussion of Touhou, or doujin games in general on GAF. I know that it's a very niche side of gaming, but seeing as there's a fairly healthy amount of people that JRPG discussion here, you would think it would have a bit more of a home, at least for the more common ones that have been fantranslated.

Touhou on Steam would be an awesome thing. Things like Carpe Fulgur's efforts and La Mulana on the platform have shown that doujin style games have a chance out West, and Touhou has an established audience already. The big downside would likely be overcoming the decade of people outside of Japan mostly pirating the games. I hope Zun seriously considers doing this sometime in the future.

LeleSocho

Banned
Despite being the op of this thread today i've played for the first time a Touhou game, PCB to be precise.
I'm a novice into bullet hells but on easy it's pretty playable, i still have to get used to hitboxes that sometimes seems pretty generous but sometimes i get hit even when sure to be safe.

upandaway

Despite being the op of this thread today i've played for the first time a Touhou game, PCB to be precise.
I'm a novice into bullet hells but on easy it's pretty playable, i still have to get used to hitboxes that sometimes seems pretty generous but sometimes i get hit even when sure to be safe.
Nice~ how far did you get, did you beat it?

LeleSocho

Banned
Nice~ how far did you get, did you beat it?

Yesterday i've managed to arrive to the mastermind of all the fact but as soon as i lost my lives it didn't let me continue (probably second to last boss).
Today i just played the first 3-4 stages with the various characters to see how they feel and how different they are (strangely enough i did my best with Marisa power type, i thought Reimu homing type would've been easier to me). Tomorrow I'll probably play another little while with the characters then i'll try to finish it.

cuc

ZUN has tweeted that he is expecting a baby (in about 6 weeks). Congratulations! Please be a good full time husband.

He also revealed earlier that he will attend Comiket 86, meaning he has another release after Touhou 14.3. Probably a music CD?

Replay

I know I said I'd finished with Alice's playground, but I realised I'd overlooked something when re-watching that last run and wanted to see if I could improve it. It's basically my previous run except shinier, so you won't be missing much if you've seen that already.

ZUN has tweeted that he is expecting a baby (in about 6 weeks). Congratulations! Please be a good full time husband.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFsi0cFnUZI

Now I'm curious about what he's going to name him/her.

upandaway

Congrats to the ZUN-man.

I think I'm done trying to get higher than 59m, at this point I'm just messing around and doing things that get me killed. I can do pretty well up until I realize that I'm doing pretty well then I start to freak out and panic.
And it's silly because my highest score run had 2 borders for some reason, so I can theoretically do better easily, but oh well! I had fun trying.

I gave Touhou Mother a break for the challenge but it's time to get back to that.

LeleSocho

Banned
Ok i learned a ton today but there's something i'm still not sure of... When the Supernatural Border activates? When all the cherry points fill up? Or when cherry+ arrives at the same points of cherry?

Scher

Ok i learned a ton today but there's something i'm still not sure of... When the Supernatural Border activates? When all the cherry points fill up? Or when cherry+ arrives at the same points of cherry?

It activates when you get cherry+ to 50000.

cj_iwakura

Replay

Hard to top that, guess we have our winner!

Next challenge is yours, if you like.

Evilisk

That's awesome news, congrats to ZUN (also I ended up imaging a baby with a mini ZUN beret and beer bottle when I read that lol)

Evilisk

I've been playing Double Spoiler while waiting for the next challenge to go up. I'm currently technically up to the stage with Orin/Okuu but they're just too hard for me atm, so I've been working on fully completing the earlier stages. This stage (4-6) took me way too long to beat.

00jA4FW.png

Also screw lasers, I really hate lasers (and it's just my luck that the characters I dislike, like Keine and Yuugi, happen to have lots of lasers for the photo games). Conversely, most of my favourites (like Nazrin and Suika) have been pretty much a breeze so at least there's that.

Go into the options menu and it should be the first option for PCB.

Huh, I always thought that would increase the no. of lives you start with rather than increasing the continues

Scher

Huh, I always thought that would increase the no. of lives you start with rather than increasing the continues

Oh wait, sorry about that. That is for starting lives, I read that completely wrong. Sorry about that, I've been kind of out of it this weekend.

Hard to top that, guess we have our winner!

Next challenge is yours, if you like.
Thanks, but it's cool if you want to keep doing them. I don't have any particular ideas for the next one and I suspect I'll have to sit it out anyway.

I've been playing Double Spoiler while waiting for the next challenge to go up. I'm currently technically up to the stage with Orin/Okuu but they're just too hard for me atm, so I've been working on fully completing the earlier stages. This stage (4-6) took me way too long to beat.

http://i.imgur.com/00jA4FW.png

Also screw lasers, I really hate lasers (and it's just my luck that the characters I dislike, like Keine and Yuugi, happen to have lots of lasers for the photo games). Conversely, most of my favourites (like Nazrin and Suika) have been pretty much a breeze so at least there's that.
Oddly enough, I really got into Double Spoiler despite not enjoying Shoot the Bullet much. The thin, curving lasers (Iku, Shou etc) are probably my least favourite bullet type in the series.

upandaway

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I'VE DONE IT!

FINISHED PCB!
On Easy
With 5 continues

14 million points!
Feels so good to beat one of them for the first time, even if it was just barely, haha. Touhou's balance is amazing in that respect that to finish it, you just have to get better at intuitively dodging and bombing, just by playing it more, but to make the jump from 2cc or 3cc into 1cc, it's necessary to make the jump into memorization, even if it's just a small couple of sections that give you trouble.
Sure with enough skill/after a while it's possible to 1cc easy/normal without memorizing a pixel, but in the beginning that's how it worked for me.

Actually that reminds me I wanted to see Marisa's good endings and haven't even tried yet. I just instinctively stay away from Marisa because of Sakuya's dialogue her narrow range, even if I can normally stay in range, it just makes me nervous. Forget PCB, I haven't seen a single Marisa ending outside of PoDD.

Scher

His call, if he passes, I have one in mind. Probably harder.

If I was left to make the choice, I would probably choose something from SA because that's easily my favorite Touhou game, and I think everyone should be forced to suffer have fun!

Feels so good to beat one of them for the first time, even if it was just barely, haha. Touhou's balance is amazing in that respect that to finish it, you just have to get better at intuitively dodging and bombing, just by playing it more, but to make the jump from 2cc or 3cc into 1cc, it's necessary to make the jump into memorization, even if it's just a small couple of sections that give you trouble.
Sure with enough skill/after a while it's possible to 1cc easy/normal without memorizing a pixel, but in the beginning that's how it worked for me.

Outside of doing gimmicks/score stuff, there's really not much of a necessity to just memorize things. However, if you spend enough time playing the game, remembering the stage layouts and stuff like that pretty much happens on its own. I've always felt the biggest issue with a 1-cc run is being consistent and not dying to the things I don't normally die to.

I really like SA actually.

But in the interest of keeping the experiences fresh, I vote UFO, since I imagine score-styling EoSD would be pretty similar to survival style (since points lead to lives).

Every game will get it's time at some point if we keep this up anyways.

cj_iwakura

I really like SA actually.

But in the interest of keeping the experiences fresh, I vote UFO, since I imagine score-styling EoSD would be pretty similar to survival style (since points lead to lives).

Every game will get it's time at some point if we keep this up anyways.

How does stage select work in UFO? Do you start with maxpower, or from scratch?

Scher

Me, then. :p One question: UFO or EoSD?

It's probably for the best, because I've been listening to Lullaby of Deserted Hell lately and I would have totally chosen Orin's stage.

As for the question, my immediate reaction is to say "Oh god, not UFO!", but since we'll probably just be on normal, it shouldn't be all that bad. UFO would be really interesting to do considering how crazy stupid the game is with power ups and point items. Would definitely be a lot more unique of a run to do considering how the whole UFO system works. Not sure what others think, but I feel UFO would be a lot more fun to play around with for a score challenge than EoSD would be. It also will have a lot more of the newer game conveniences that EoSD lacks.

How does stage select work in UFO? Do you start with maxpower, or from scratch?

Start with half power on stage select, although it's not like it takes much time to get to max power in UFO.

At least during stages. In a boss fight, losing 12 or so power and getting 8 back in the older games is a kindness. Losing 100 power and getting 8 back in UFO and beyond makes me think ZUN is sitting somewhere laughing at me.

Scher

At least during stages. In a boss fight, losing 12 or so power and getting 8 back in the older games is a kindness. Losing 100 power and getting 8 back in UFO and beyond makes me think ZUN is sitting somewhere laughing at me.

UFO in general is just the embodiment of ZUN's hatred and mockery. I think UFO Lunatic is still the most horrid difficulty spike in the entire series.

Evilisk

I guess I'd be up for a UFO challenge (I don't really have EoSD at the moment so I couldn't participate in that).

Just wanted to get out there though that I don't like UFO that much. The shottypes are kind of boring in this, the UFO system is too overwhelming for someone like me and there are just too many damn lasers in this game. I swear everyone has lasers and if they don't have lasers, they got something else instead (like Kogasa's absurdly-hard-for-stage-2 last spellcard, or Murasa's survival spellcard).

I can't even play it for the music since it just isn't up to ZUN's usual calibre (some tracks sound experimental, others just aren't that great). While I have some favourites now, I found the tracks tough to listen to at first (the only one that I really liked at once was Murasa's theme and it seemed ZUN gave up and went back to ZUNpets for that anyway)

Also some tracks are just flat out boring like Ichirin's theme and most of the stage themes so it's all kind of meh for me (also I just realized this is the third character that ZUN's made that has lasers and a meh musical theme, after Keine and Yuugi)

The only thing I really like are the bombs (they feel so good to use) and Sanae's horizontal homing shot and even then it was put in a game too early. Seriously ZUN goofed here, that shot type would have been great to have in 10 Desires because of the system. Here it's way too easy to let a giant UFO get away because of the homing.

Eh I didn't mean to rant but yeah, I think you get the point. I don't really like this game a particular lot lol

Evilisk

I loooove the Interdimensional Ghostly Ship BGM, but ah well.

I didn't say I hated all of them, just most of them lol.

That track and At the End of Spring (and maybe the EX Stage theme) are up there in terms of stage themes (and not just for UFO's soundtrack either) The others are just meh though, I'd need to listen to the OST just to remember how the rest tbqh

Honestly, most of ZUN's more recent OSTs took awhile to grow on me. I that I felt TD's OST was meh, but after playing that until my first 1'cc, it really really grew on me. Unfortunately, DDC hasn't quite hit that point for me, although the Stage 5 boss and Extra Theme are pretty pumpin.

UFO's Provincial Makai City Estoria is possibly my favorite stage 5 theme, with only Cinderella Cage - Kagome Kagome from IN possibly beating it.

Evilisk

Honestly, most of ZUN's more recent OSTs took awhile to grow on me. I that I felt TD's OST was meh, but after playing that until my first 1'cc, it really really grew on me. Unfortunately, DDC hasn't quite hit that point for me, although the Stage 5 boss and Extra Theme are pretty pumpin.

UFO's Provincial Makai City Estoria is possibly my favorite stage 5 theme, with only Cinderella Cage - Kagome Kagome from IN possibly beating it.

I mostly agree, TD and UFO weren't that great. GFW was really good though and DDC, it clicked for me quickly and it's possibly the first Touhou since MoF that I haven't found any tracks I really dislike (sorry SA, though Green Eyed Jealousy and Satori ~ 3rd Eye are really great tracks regardless). For me with TD though, while I don't really like the OST, I find it's extremely easy to listen to when it's on. And there are still some decent tracks there (like Desire Dream, Futo's theme and any tracks related to Stage 3) and if anything, I do appreciate how different all of the tracks sound from one another.

Also my favourite Stage theme would have to be Capital City of Flowers in the Sky, I just love it.

Yeah, I've also been less enamoured with ZUN's more recent OSTs, particularly TD and DDC (though I could say the same about the games themselves). UFO at least had the exceptional Cosmic Mind (boss 6), as well as some standout stage themes like Provincial Makai City Esoteria (stage 5), Fires of Hokkai (stage 6), At the End of Spring (stage 1) and UFO Romance in the Night Sky (stage EX).

Also my favourite stage theme is Ghostly Eyes (IN stage 1) which gets virtually no love at all.

upandaway

UFO has the least amount of tracks that I love, I think, but the ones I like I really like. They also remix amazingly well in my opinion, better than most of the other OSTs. Lots of strong melodies.

Can't say much about TD/DDC yet because I like to reserve judgement for years later, but my immediate impression was that I liked them more than UFO, both the games and the OSTs.

Favorite stage music (a bit of a curveball, so I'm not revealing): link
Although I think it works a lot better in-game than standalone.

Scher

Favorite stage music (a bit of a curveball, so I'm not revealing): link
Although I think it works a lot better in-game than standalone.

Since you didn't want to directly reveal, I'll put this in spoiler tags, but I feel
Yumemi was the only redeeming factor of PoDD
. That theme was probably up there as one of my favorites for a while.

The only themes I ever really liked from UFO were Fires of Hokkai and Emotional Skyscraper. I always felt those themes really fit the stage and the boss really well, even though the stage itself was never all the fun to me. All of my favorite stuff is pretty much from SA, though. That's pretty much the one game I feel that all the music just fit so well with the stages and bosses. I think Satori's and Orin's stages are probably the most well designed stages with just the way they are laid out and how the stages fit with the music. I can pretty much remember what will happen in stage 4 based purely on the music alone. It's just so nice! Also, Okuu is easily the best boss, but I'm really really biased in that matter.

cj_iwakura

Touhou Score Attack Challenge: Week 2

Th12cover.jpg

Touhou 13: Undefined Fantastic Object

13689-122866-e00887427424639jpg-468x.jpg

Stage 4: Interdimensional Voyage of a Ghostly Passenger Ship

fEQ2LKe.jpg

That money-grubbing brat got lucky. I'll win this time!

t6nbCFk.jpg

I'll just steal all the blue UFOs~

dhHeivW.jpg

Uh, where the hell are they?...

Z2Ago96.jpg

I relocated them.

2sW6Xor.jpg

You want to play fair, right?

I8ZrDud.jpg

Umm, not really...

FTljdMY.jpg

Well, that's just too bad. They're mine now.

wD7kPGa.jpg

Hey, that's cheating!

Challenge ends at 12AM EST, Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Time to learn more about UFO mechanics besides "get Red and Green UFOs to not die". I'll likely start playing later tonight.

Evilisk

Is there a specific difficulty for this?

Also I just remembered that I've only got Stage 3+ unlocked with SanaeA and probably not anybody else...

cj_iwakura

Uhh...

We do not have official permission from ZUN, the creator of Touhou Project, for this Kickstarter. This is why this game will NOT be available at your local distributors, retailers, or online stores. We are trying our best to abide to his doujinshi (fan-creation) publishing policies. If we do not receive permission from ZUN before the end of this project on May 26, please be prepared that we may cancel this Kickstarter project.

microfolk

Holy shit I don't know how I've never seen this topic until today, great job you guys!
And just when I decided to get serious with this series, I've been playing Touhou for years but I never accomplished anything worth mentioning apart from some shitty 1cc easy clear... Now I'm trying to explore the post MoF games since I never played them seriously and I don't know if it's still too early to talk about which game is better than the other but I'm really liking TD for three reasons:
1) Desire Drive
2) Miko design is rad as hell
3) Youmu is such a funny character to use geez I love melee options in my STG

Maybe I'll try to partecipate in this week challenge, I'll suck royally but at least it'll be fun to try I guess.

TheChaos0

Haha, I just saw this kickstarter. I don't really know much about card games but... well, the art looks really neat. It's there a translated Japanese card game though?

I really like the art.

You would think you'd try to get the permission before putting it on kickstarter.

Saying that, I feel like backing this up, even if it falls through. A thought of having a Touhou TCG is just amazing.

upandaway

Hmm I haven't really played UFO going for more serious performance, so I never noticed, but I can't actually tell between red and green UFOs, even when they're next to each other at the bottom. There's no... colorblind patch or something, is there?

Well I doubt it'll matter in this challenge since it's about score but man this is a bit of a bummer. How much trouble will this cause for 1cc'ing?

Haha, I just saw this kickstarter. I don't really know much about card games but... well, the art looks really neat. It's there a translated Japanese card game though?
There's Rumbling Spell Orchestra, which from memory had a bunch of (unofficial) translations done and got a plugin for LackeyCCG. Can't say I ever looked into it myself.

I used to enjoy TCGs years ago and the art's rather impressive, so I'm kinda tempted by this. That said, cj_iwakura's quote above is lol, and it's not like I'd find anyone to play against IRL anyway. Hmm.

The Kickstarter said:
As requested by backers, here is a list of all the characters that will be included in the game.

Alice / Aya / Byakuren / Cirno / Flandre / Fujiwara / Hina / Hong / Iku / Kasen / Kogasa / Koishi / Komachi / Marisa / Nitori / Patchouli / Reimu / Reisen / Remilia / Sakuya / Sanae / Satori / Suika / Suwako / Tenshi / Utsuho / Youmu / Yukari / Yuuka / Yuyuko
Looks like the characters go up to UFO. No Kanako or Nue is fjdshfjkdsh

Hmm I haven't really played UFO going for more serious performance, so I never noticed, but I can't actually tell between red and green UFOs, even when they're next to each other at the bottom. There's no... colorblind patch or something, is there?

Well I doubt it'll matter in this challenge since it's about score but man this is a bit of a bummer. How much trouble will this cause for 1cc'ing?
Actually, there is!

http://www.gensokyo.org/archives/974

Top Bottom