• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Touhou Community Thread | Highly Responsive to Posts

Evilisk

I don't understand why they'd put up a KS without permission but regardless, no Taohous = no purchase (though at least they put Kasen in there)
Holy shit I don't know how I've never seen this topic until today, great job you guys!
And just when I decided to get serious with this series, I've been playing Touhou for years but I never accomplished anything worth mentioning apart from some shitty 1cc easy clear... Now I'm trying to explore the post MoF games since I never played them seriously and I don't know if it's still too early to talk about which game is better than the other but I'm really liking TD for three reasons:
1) Desire Drive
2) Miko design is rad as hell
3) Youmu is such a funny character to use geez I love melee options in my STG
That's pretty much why I like TD too (though I'd have to add Seiga as a fourth reason). Also Youmu always has fun shottypes, I know I had a blast using Youmu in IN and POFV (I loved being able to slice bullets in POFV)

microfolk

Wow UFO is HARD. Or maybe I'm just too weak. Or maybe (maybe) I should stop trying to collect that third ufo I need to summon one where it's lingering in the upper part of the screen amidst tons and tons of bullets. Maybe.

That's pretty much why I like TD too (though I'd have to add Seiga as a fourth reason). Also Youmu always has fun shottypes, I know I had a blast using Youmu in IN and POFV (I loved being able to slice bullets in POFV)

In fact I think I love every single character from TD. Even Futo. Futo is the raddest.
And yeah, Youmu is the best, I'd love if ZUN tried to experiment more with shot types, I don't want him to go crazy like Hellsinker or Radiant Silvergun (well I'm lying I'd love it) but I'm a sucker for non conventional characters in my danmakus.

cj_iwakura

Damn I'd forgotten how nasty that stage is.

Was this too hard a choice? I can pick another one if that's the case.

That said, terrible effort:

2M8ayMT.jpg

Just decided to get it over with.

Scher

Damn I'd forgotten how nasty that stage is.

Was this too hard a choice? I can pick another one if that's the case.

That said, terrible effort:

Just decided to get it over with.

I say we should just stick with it. I've already started learning the stage and working out a route and stuff. If anything, we can all fail together!

upandaway

I say we should just stick with it. I've already started learning the stage and working out a route and stuff. If anything, we can all fail together!
Some will fail more than others.

I haven't even beaten the stage to unlock it in practice, haha, I keep being distracted by GAZILLION dang gosh UFOs flying around everywhere and the unbalanced batches of item drops. At some point I had like 7 UFOs flying around with bullets everywhere and I knew that run was over.

UFO's item drops are so weird. There's a huge huge amount of them, too. I can't focus at all! I get that they're supposed to be absorbed by UFOs but it's not like I'm trying to get them anyway!!

I actually really like this stage, but scoring it was pretty tough. Doesn't help that I'm not used to working with UFOs for score at all. Spell capturing is tough too since you start at half power AND are aiming for blue ufos mostly, so keeping you have to be more aggressive while having less room for error.

Slightly better thanks to Sanae B-ombs being so awesome. If you want to go UFO hunting, Sanae's your gal.

cuc

They have an update that explained the matter. Basically ZUN wouldn't allow using Kickstarter for a Touhou fan work at the moment. You are supposed to fund a doujin work out of your own pocket, not by seeking external investment on KS. Apparently ZUN did tell them he'll consider licensing Touhou to overseas products in the future.

microfolk

Bluh.

I keep failing to capture most of Murasa spell cards though I know I am able to do it. Except for Sinker Ghost. Fuck Sinker Ghost I don't know how to capture it it's driving me crazy.

EDIT: Being very liberal with bombing during the final phase of the level paid off a little I guess.

I wonder if I could reach 50m mmmh

TheChaos0

Just from looking at this, it seems like the Kickstarter from last page has been canceled

Kinda disappointed but I have expected it really... At least I have made them change Demons to Youkai before it got cancelled. :)

They have an update that explained the matter. Basically ZUN wouldn't allow using Kickstarter for a Touhou fan work at the moment. You are supposed to fund a doujin work out of your own pocket, not by seeking external investment on KS. Apparently ZUN did tell them he'll consider licensing Touhou to overseas products in the future.

I believe ZUN already talked about oversea licenses prior to this kickstarter this year.

cj_iwakura

Bluh.

YYNHBXs.png

I keep failing to capture most of Murasa spell cards though I know I am able to do it. Except for Sinker Ghost. Fuck Sinker Ghost I don't know how to capture it it's driving me crazy.

I almost had a strategy. Line up with the opening in the pattern, wait for her to respawn nearby, then rush into the center of the old pattern.

Scher

So I'm having issues trying to screencap my score. For some reason, every time I take a screencap, it just takes a picture of my desktop and not of the game. Anyone have any idea what the issue is and how I can get around that?

upandaway

Welp, don't try to make kickstarters without permission first, I guess!

So I'm having issues trying to screencap my score. For some reason, every time I take a screencap, it just takes a picture of my desktop and not of the game. Anyone have any idea what the issue is and how I can get around that?
It does that for me too, but only in full-screen. Just take the screenshot in windowed mode.

Lebon14

I.. I don't know about that. I do understand where you're coming from, definitely, but... the endings aren't really that big of a deal. They're pretty much fun little side scenes. The settings and stories and all the stuff that go into the fanbase that you're talking about, they're all in the games themselves and remade into the various fan works like the EoSD/PCB For Busy People VNs and stuff.

Granted I haven't seen every ending so I might be wrong about it, but the ones I did see were all harmless rewards for people who cleared the games. They're completely trivial.

But in any case, I'm pretty sure Youtube has the grand majority of endings regardless.

They may be some fun little scenes except that they have caracther devlopment. And, believe it or not, there isn't much of the endings of Youtube... (or I didn't find them)

upandaway

They may be some fun little scenes except that they have caracther devlopment. And, believe it or not, there isn't much of the endings of Youtube... (or I didn't find them)
Hmm I did a quick look, I can find all possible endings for 1-12 + Fairy Wars, although I haven't entered the videos to confirm. Nothing for TD/DDC yet.

Like I said I can see where you're coming from and I think it's totally fine to youtube them, I just don't think it's too big of a deal either way. There's so much fan content out there that takes the same role (especially considering the absolute majority of fans and content creators haven't seen many endings themselves, mainly drawing off of the few that did and broke the material into fan works to begin with).

Scher

I can take full screen of some games but not of others. Go figure. Code of honor is fine by me if you have to post the score alone.

Well, after some playing around with it, I managed to get the game running in windowed mode on the lowest resolution! I wish UFO didn't cause me so many issues with just trying to run it. So, here's the score from my awful kind of first run:

Anyways, I've been playing so much Escha & Logy that suddenly it's Friday! Kind of lost track of the week for a bit. I've gotten a general idea of how I want to approach the stage, but the second half is kind of annoying to deal with. It can get off track really quickly. Also, I know I can capture all of Murasa's cards, but I kept slipping up during the boss. Can't stand all the animated bullets she has! Although, Sinker Ghost ended up being the one spell card I captured on this run.

I'll have to put some more time into it later tonight and tomorrow, because I know I can get a much better score than that.

cuc

Gotta get dat cash for the new baby.
While I can't be certain about it, judging from available info, it is possible that ZUN charges no license fee at all, and all his income comes from selling his official works ever since quitting his job at Taito. In turn, most corporate Touhou products are technically "works with permission for production", not officially licensed goods.

I've already linked to the "Touhou Endings wiki" in an earlier post. You can also watch some of the PC-98 game endings in LPArchive.org's Touhou Let's Play.

cuc

Blog update. He has made it clear this time that making this game is a form of resistance towards game industry trends (no joke, he has been saying things to that effect in recent months).

I am the Amanojaku!

Team Shanghai Alice will release a new game at Hakurei Shrine Reitaisai held on May 11, today.

It is this:
[Photo]

Touhou Project 14.3
"Danmaku Amanojaku ~ Impossible Spell Card."

In "Team Shanghai Alice" A18b, Hall East 1, I will do my best to sell it by my own hands.
The price is 1000 yen.
Please take care tomorrow.

This is a game where I have taken risks, or in other words, a society-school* game where all kinds of worlds are challenged (by me)!

The game is surprisingly fun, so people who can't resist spending money should buy it.
*Note: The most important styles of Japanese mystery fiction are the "orthodox school" which focuses on puzzle-solving, and the "society school" which uses detective fiction as a vehicle of social critique.

While I can't be certain about it, judging from available info, it is possible that ZUN charges no license fee at all, and all his income comes from selling his official works ever since quitting his job at Taito. In turn, most corporate Touhou products are technically "works with permission for production", not officially licensed goods.

I see. And I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

upandaway

Really really excited for ISC, but it'll probably take a long while before I get it. Doesn't look like this game is what he was referring to when he talked about overseas release, huh.
Seija is the best Seija. I need more 4-komas with her.

Probably not gonna get into the challenge this time because my hands have been kinda sore since Thursday, but oh well. I've been having a lot of problems staying focused with those UFOs and weird item drops.

Evilisk

Uh, not sure if I'm allowed to post a link but there's already some of the ISC soundtrack uploaded on YT (I've also seen some gameplay but not on YT). I'll probably wait until I get the game before I hear the entire soundtrack but so far the theme for the first few levels is pretty neat.

Scher

I'm not sure what happened with Nature Valley on twitter, but this is awfully amusing:

Edit: Can't get to sleep, so I decided to try to improve and the challenge run some more. UFO doesn't want to take screenshots again, though, so I just uploaded the replay if someone for whatever reason wanted to check my score. It's at 52 million points. [Replay]

I definitely want to try and get a better score, but this is kind of already after the time given for the challenge. With that being the case, I guess it doesn't really count, but I hope y'all don't mind me just posting stuff for the fun of it, anyways. Still not a run I'm very happy with, but it's better than my previous run. The second half of the stage is easily the most hectic, and I've decided it's best to take an intentional death during that point to restock bombs. This makes it easier to gather the UFOs I want, although in this run, I messed up before that point but got a third bomb out of it, so I didn't have to intentionally die. I messed up grabbing the correct UFOs, so I ended up with 20 million points by the time I got to Murasa, which is pretty low. I also messed up on her first non spell, but oh well. Just used the bombs to skip her other two non spells. Also messed up on anchors! Bright, flashing bullets tend to mess me up a lot.

cj_iwakura

Does anyone need more time, or should we call it?

Also, I think whoever runs NV's social media is a giant otaku. More power to them.

upandaway

It was meant to be a light refresh run of Lotus Land Story. Ended up going really well, didn't die up to Marisa. However it was my first time on the highest rank so of course I get overcome with terror and panic and lose everything! Somehow still managed to 1cc clear with no lives and no bombs left (lost it all a good ~2 minutes before the end). I think that shaved a bit off my lifespan.

cj_iwakura

Bluh.

YYNHBXs.png

Belatedly, this is winnar.

Would you like to pick the net one? Otherwise, EoSD time!

Evilisk

Well congrats to Skingheart on the win

I'll probably be passing if it's EoSD, I don't have that game and I don't really have the space on my computer for it atm either (also I forgot about this week's challenge because of ISC and other stuff lol)

microfolk

Sorry for being so late (and for not having posted anymore since my ridiculous attempts at scoring, I've been busy with stupid stuff) but actually Scher devastated my score by quite some margin!

cj_iwakura

I just figured you didn't like me enough to count my first score. If Skingheart wants to pick, that's fine. Otherwise, feel free to go with EoSD.

Of course not, just overlooked it by accident. I'll put up an EoSD one if Sking's not interested.

microfolk

Of course not, just overlooked it by accident. I'll put up an EoSD one if Sking's not interested.

I'm not really well versed wih EoSD but this might be my chance to play it more seriously than I ever did, so please give us the next challenge oh mighty challenge master :p

Scher

I'm not really well versed wih EoSD but this might be my chance to play it more seriously than I ever did, so please give us the next challenge oh mighty challenge master :p

The challenges, in general, are making me really want to spend a lot of time playing Touhou games again. I'm trying my best not to get absorbed in it too much, though, since I've got other games I'd like to play and research to do.

cj_iwakura

Touhou Score Attack Challenge: Week 3
Bsp30Eh.jpg

Touhou 6: Embodiment of Scarlet Devil
Nasfads.jpg

Stage 4: Mansion of Darkness ~ Save The Mind
oaw0gEX.jpg

FLIHKPh.jpg

Sweet, look at all these strategy guides!

x8lTUAG.jpg

I'll win for sure now.

zlVAqDY.jpg

You don't have a GameFAQs account.

E26qLXF.jpg

Hmm, says here you were banned for trolling the Ikaruga board.

WBdRQ0h.jpg

Oh yeah, those guys...

2iOJNCV.jpg

It's okay, you can borrow one guide.

pmBom6n.jpg

Well, that's really nice of you.

E26qLXF.jpg

Ooh, "Salamander For Dummies"...

Challenge ends at 12AM EST, Saturday night/Sunday morning. (5/24)

microfolk

Reimoo is so slow in EoSD it's killing me. And not being able to view the hitbox is really strange though I'm not having as much problems as I thought I would, so this is nice.
Regarding the scoring system in this game it boils down to "collect every single item above the poc line you motherfucker", am I right? It doesn't seem like there is a way to increase the valute of point items if I am not mistaken.

I didn't know that ZUN was a father.
Well, congratulations to him and his wife. That's wonderful.

He needs to dress his baby like one of the thouhous, I need this so much.
Just kidding, I'm really happy for him and his beloved, he deserves all the happiness in the world.

EDIT: First shitty attempt:

upandaway

Didn't know practice mode in EoSD is minimum lives. That's gonna make this tricky, haha.

After trying them all I think I'll go lasers.

microfolk

I'm starting to doing fairy well survival-wise, I'm not that far from a no miss run (on stage 4 alone of course) but I really don't know what to do to score efficiently, 40 millions seem pretty doable but after that I have no idea... One of these days I'll try to upload a replay on youtube if I get a nice run.

upandaway

Man that stage is hard! I really like it though. It's pretty fun.

I focused on the stage itself (resetting at Patchouli) and after some practice I can get to 20m with no deaths. Whenever I start to think about starting to think about going for graze or the get line then I just die instantly, though.

Top Bottom