• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

killatopak

Gold Member
Okay so you're not getting it. Later.

...I find it pretty fucking annoying that some people are compelled to come into an OT and comment, yet have no intention of getting the game in the first place.

Chill out dude. He was interested enough on the game to buy a Vita for it. At least he's not port begging.
Anyone,
What's your weapon of choice?
Spear.

Gonna be countering and pole vaulting like dragoons!

Chain and sickle is boss. To be honest I like all the weapons aside from the terrible fist things. No real dodge = I will never use that

No idea why they didn't add a hammer though. What were they thinking?

sensui-tomo

Anyone,
daggers it seems, would like to be more proficient in that kunai with chain but it doesnt work well with me, also i like the magic system. Bows on the other hand.. seem like a pure support, so i wouldnt be able to try it unless i played with more people.

Shengar

My main weapon will be bow, and spear if I want some change. Dual dagger looks interesting too, I might tried that intensively someday later.
Regarding that tweet, are there actually romanceable chicks and dudes in this game?

if so i'll take the dame with the jugs that enter the room 3 seconds before the rest of her does
No romance (I think) but there is friendship point which if you managed to maxed them, you can obtain their weapon for crafting.
Blocking is for the weak. I play Dark Souls with a 2 hander all the time :)

:O
I might have to try this one in DaS II
With Claymore of course

Heh, just saying the dodge is replaced by a block for the gauntlets. I think they were one of the more popular weapon choices for Japanese players from what I've seen.

They seem like they'd be good for that mitama with the taunt so they could tank. Personally I'd prefer a real dodge to a block but I'm sure they're still a great weapon depending on playstyle.

:O
I might have to try this one in DaS II
With Claymore of course

crossing my fingers for a Demon Great Machete in DS2. The ultimate 2 hander!

Hattori

Banned
This game feels unapologetically Monster Hunter-like, and I absolutely love it! I feel so at home with the controls and the mechanics. I even found myself trying and succeeding in cutting the intro Oni's tail x) This game will definitely help tide me over while I wait for the real MH.

Shengar

Have you guys seen the trophy list of Toukiden?

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2397-Toukiden-The-Age-of-Demons

Collecting all mitamas and every weapon of every weapon type seems to be the hardest among them all.

No online trophy already make it better than Soul Sacrifice.
Well, as long as there is no ridiculous rare loot drop that is.

Also
42Lab9324.png

Yamato can kill me, I will take her home.

crinale

baekshi

Banned
No online trophy already make it better than Soul Sacrifice.
Well, as long as there is no ridiculous rare loot drop that is.
if you didnt know , you don't even have to go online to get 'online' trophies

just go in ad hoc and play the pacts

Shengar

if you didnt know , you don't even have to go online to get 'multiplayer' trophies

just go in ad hoc and play the pacts

I know, but 100 pacts is still tedious.
And there is change to Golde Awe trophy that requires you to finish all forgotten pact
Also Gemini Illecibra, goddamnit I still mad that I can't properly connect every time I host a game.

I hope Toukiden have better netcode. It would suck if I receive connection error everytime I try to join in a gaf hunting party,

ramyeon

I hope Toukiden have better netcode. It would suck if I receive connection error everytime I try to join in a gaf hunting party,
I had heaps of issues the first day or two with the demo. Couldn't get into a load of rooms and kept getting booted. It seems to have sorted itself out now though, I've been jumping into random rooms a lot these last few days and haven't had any major issues. Sometimes it takes a minute or so to load the mission though, and I find people think it's stopped working and force quit the game when that happens.

saturnine

Anyone,

them gauntlets. nothing compares yet to the feel of a fully charged strong attack blowing up a maneater's leg/the special attack rush. paired with the magic sniper mitama to deal good damages to the hard-to-reach parts.
the lack of dodging was not too bad against the man eater.

Okay, so I just beat Maneater in the demo. I was on the fence at this point, but I think that battle sold me on this game. Definitely evokes the same sort of frantic, intense feelings like Monster Hunter did, and I've been playing MH since MHF on PSP. Sure, it would be easy to complain about this or that (mainly, the overall lack of content when held up side-by-side against MH) but I suppose every series has to start somewhere. This was an up-ported PSP game, correct? I'd love to see a Toukiden 2 in a few years on the Vita so I'd better support the game now.

crinale

Okay, so I just beat Maneater in the demo. I was on the fence at this point, but I think that battle sold me on this game. Definitely evokes the same sort of frantic, intense feelings like Monster Hunter did, and I've been playing MH since MHF on PSP. Sure, it would be easy to complain about this or that (mainly, the overall lack of content when held up side-by-side against MH) but I suppose every series has to start somewhere. This was an up-ported PSP game, correct? I'd love to see a Toukiden 2 in a few years on the Vita so I'd better support the game now.

While it started as up-port of PSP game, IIRC KT said they did optimization for Vita bit further then down-ported to PSP version.
From what I see them talking about Toukiden I'm assuming Toukiden 2 (or G, super-, turbo or whatever) is coming some day.

I'm late to the OT, but nice OT and I hope to play with some of you. I love this game and all I'm doing in the demo now is stacking on material and making weapons that I use.

Collecting all mitamas and every weapon of every weapon type seems to be the hardest among them all.

Weapons won't be that hard if you wait till end game. I say this because if you wait till then, you would have enough materials(High/Low Level) and Haku to play around with. I did it this way for MonHun.

Ridley327

Abylim

I cant get over how good this is.
The only thing I'd change is levelling, but that isnt a staple in MH clones.

Loving it a lot more than RO, and I played the shit out of that.

Any news on AU release date? Same as EU?

ramyeon

I cant get over how good this is.
The only thing I'd change is levelling, but that isnt a staple in MH clones.

Loving it a lot more than RO, and I played the shit out of that.

Any news on AU release date? Same as EU?
Levelling in my hunting game? No thanks. Gear and mitama are basically a levelling system anyway, I prefer it that way.

I asked on the Tecmo Koei Facebook awhile back and they said the Australian release is still the 14th. Pretty sure it's going to be a JB HiFi exclusive at retail, but I'll be going digital for this. Hope we get the digital pre-order option and bonuses that Europe is getting.

Abylim

Levelling in my hunting game? No thanks. Gear and mitama are basically a levelling system anyway, I prefer it that way.

I asked on the Tecmo Koei Facebook awhile back and they said the Australian release is still the 14th. Pretty sure it's going to be a JB HiFi exclusive at retail, but I'll be going digital for this. Hope we get the digital pre-order option and bonuses that Europe is getting.

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, thats why I said its not a MH clone staple, just what I enjoy though.

I have tried Longsword, Bow and Spear, and I am surprised at how awesome the spear is. It seems to have everything covered, and is quick and powerful.

Questions; what do the shrines do? The green glowy one seems to heal me, but what about the white one?

ramyeon

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, thats why I said its not a MH clone staple, just what I enjoy though.

I have tried Longsword, Bow and Spear, and I am surprised at how awesome the spear is. It seems to have everything covered, and is quick and powerful.

Questions; what do the shrines do? The green glowy one seems to heal me, but what about the white one?
White ones restore your mitama skills to their max limit.

Abylim

White ones restore your mitama skills to their max limit.

Oh! Thats another thing, levelling Mitama, do they get more if we use them a lot?

Sorry if this stuff has been answered, didnt see it in the op, but I am not the most thorough at finding things =\

ramyeon

Oh! Thats another thing, levelling Mitama, do they get more if we use them a lot?

Sorry if this stuff has been answered, didnt see it in the op, but I am not the most thorough at finding things =\
They get more passive skills so you can adjust those but as far as active skills you can use on field nope, I don't think so. There are supposedly over 100 mitama in the game though so I'm sure the late game ones will be a lot better than the ones we've seen in the demo.

Have you guys seen the trophy list of Toukiden?

http://psnprofiles.com/trophies/2397-Toukiden-The-Age-of-Demons

I've seen thos kind of trophy list , so omega force-like , at first glance you see nothing that seems hard , yet some of them seems clearly to be giant time sinks.

Will still get the game but unless the game is even better than i anticipated i won't have that one platinium.

maouvin

They get more passive skills so you can adjust those but as far as active skills you can use on field nope, I don't think so. There are supposedly over 100 mitama in the game though so I'm sure the late game ones will be a lot better than the ones we've seen in the demo.

This site translated all (I think) of the Mitamas and their skills, as well as where to get then: http://www.mhkita.com/toukiden/
"Tamafuri" are the button skills (R+Square, R+Circle and so on).

Aye, there's a ton.

killatopak

Gold Member
To be fair, the trophy is just for collecting every weapon in a category, so you'd get this if you got all the bows in the game. Still lengthy, but not quite as insane as getting every single weapon in the game.

Oh yeah, I read that wrong. Still, collecting all mitamas would be hard and time consuming.

Abylim

Well Jb doesnt have it listed, so I may just go digital for this one.

I'm grabbing this and Ys this month, I wanted to buy at least one of those physical, so I'll grab the cart for Ys.

I must say the more I play the demo of this, the more I want it now!

Scary trophy list but it seems bit less extreme than typical Dynasty Warriors stuff which take bilion of hours.

This one might be finishable in less than 200 :D

ramyeon

What's this? All I see for the game on the UK store is the demo.
Tecmo Koei tweeted out that digital pre-orders are starting either today or tomorrow (Sorry not sure about timezones there since I'm in Australia) for Europe. If you pre-order on PSN you get some cat ears headgear and a bonus mitama (Available in-game anyway, but only much later on).
Well Jb doesnt have it listed, so I may just go digital for this one.

I'm grabbing this and Ys this month, I wanted to buy at least one of those physical, so I'll grab the cart for Ys.

I must say the more I play the demo of this, the more I want it now!
Yeah they haven't put it up yet, they're definitely down to stock it though.

EB Games on the other hand have confirmed they won't be stocking it at all and have claimed it's a JB exclusive.

killatopak

Gold Member
Quick question. Do all mitama have the same rate of leveling up or are later end game mitamas much harder to level up?

Number45

Tecmo Koei tweeted out that digital pre-orders are starting either today or tomorrow (Sorry not sure about timezones there since I'm in Australia) for Europe. If you pre-order on PSN you get some cat ears headgear and a bonus mitama (Available in-game anyway, but only much later on).
Thanks, I'll be interested to see what the pricing is.

Are there any bonuses to having a save from the demo, other than being able to continue progress? If not I'll probably hold off playing any more until I decide to pick it up.

dreamfall

Just played through Chapter 1 of the demo- what a blast! Manhunter fight was pretty hectic and totally awesome. I think I'm going to spend a bit more time with the demo before release to get familiar with more of the combat mechanics.

Oh, and I love my slow heavy gauntlets! Gah! Monster Hunter variation it may be, but this is awesome!

crinale

I'm late to the OT, but nice OT and I hope to play with some of you. I love this game and all I'm doing in the demo now is stacking on material and making weapons that I use.

Weapons won't be that hard if you wait till end game. I say this because if you wait till then, you would have enough materials (High/Low Level) and Haku to play around with. I did it this way for MonHun.

Well we'll see about that :D

So there are variants of each demon, right? Just trying to gauge content amount. I'm not expecting MH3U levels, as that would be stupid, but from what I gathered this is still pretty content rich.

Shengar

So there are variants of each demon, right? Just trying to gauge content amount. I'm not expecting MH3U levels, as that would be stupid, but from what I gathered this is still pretty content rich.

12 monster, and 12 subspecies of them. 24 in total.
It's a first generation game, I hope they make a sequel soon enough. There are TONS of youkai and oni for them that can be included in the game.

Top Bottom