• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden: The Age of Demons |OT| "very f*ckable." -@tecmokoeieurope

jtan

I'm stuck on what to get... I love physical copies, but then I also have $20 psn credit so I'll only pay 20 for the digital version...

crinale

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, thats why I said its not a MH clone staple, just what I enjoy though.

I have tried Longsword, Bow and Spear, and I am surprised at how awesome the spear is. It seems to have everything covered, and is quick and powerful.

Questions; what do the shrines do? The green glowy one seems to heal me, but what about the white one?

Some shrines are invisible so that you must use mind's eye to see them.

killatopak

Gold Member
12 monster, and 12 subspecies of them. 24 in total.
It's a first generation game, I hope they make a sequel soon enough. There are TONS of youkai and oni for them that can be included in the game.

Wasn't it 25? 12 monsters + 12 subspecies + 1 final boss?

wiggleb0t

Banned
Well Jb doesnt have it listed, so I may just go digital for this one.

I'm grabbing this and Ys this month, I wanted to buy at least one of those physical, so I'll grab the cart for Ys.

I must say the more I play the demo of this, the more I want it now!

Hell yeah, keen to try this, loved the visuals so was instant buy, passed on demo as wanna be able to sink in and keep playing. Pre-order from blockbuster. Bought Tearaway from them last month and delivery was roughly 7 business days as it's shipping from Hong Kong.
Toukiden at $30.36 plus $2 shipping = win.

Also ffx & ffx-2 vita edition is $27.36! Spend over $60 = free shipping.
With mgs 2 hour revelation I'm cancelling and going to buy Danganronpa instead for $35.96. BB & videoezy have unusually well priced games lately.

Number45

not sure if serious
What's not to get? I'm not 100% sold on the game, but I might have sprung at launch if the pre-order goodies were worthwhile (or the price was lower).

I'm not likely to play online, so there's no reason for me to pick it up at launch.

Hell yeah, keen to try this, loved the visuals so was instant buy, passed on demo as wanna be able to sink in and keep playing. Pre-order from blockbuster. Bought Tearaway from them last month and delivery was roughly 7 business days as it's shipping from Hong Kong.
Toukiden at $30.36 plus $2 shipping = win.

Also ffx & ffx-2 vita edition is $27.36! Spend over $60 = free shipping.
With mgs 2 hour revelation I'm cancelling and going to buy Danganronpa instead for $35.96. BB & videoezy have unusually well priced games lately.

Blockbuster...really? In what country?

What's not to get? I'm not 100% sold on the game, but I might have sprung at launch if the pre-order goodies were worthwhile (or the price was lower).

I'm not likely to play online, so there's no reason for me to pick it up at launch.

I've just never seen anyone base a purchase off pre-order bonuses. More power to you if that's what convinces you to purchase games lol

Shengar

I think Toukiden has the most potential to become a nice mh competitor. At least it fits my taste better than soul sacrifice or god eater.
One where you hunt dinosaurs, and other where you hunt demons.
Aw yiss, I hope the latter get sequel real quick.
I've just never seen anyone base a purchase off pre-order bonuses. More power to you if that's what convinces you to purchase games lol

Well, he stated that he planned to play it offline, and I can get the sentiment of waiting a sale for a digital copy. I might have taken the same route, buying the digital copy from a sale, but I don't missed out gaf hunting party again.

Number45

I'm not sure if you're intentionally misinterpreting what I'm saying. If pre-order bonuses are good enough on a game (soundtrack, good extra content) then I'll definitely consider buying at launch rather than waiting even if it means paying a little more.

If I was 100% sold on the game (like for Tearaway for example) then the bonuses are just that, and immaterial to my buying decision.

wiggleb0t

Banned
Blockbuster...really? In what country?
Australia. iirc I paid $48 for SoulSacrifice at eb. Kinda normal vita game price so to see it at $30, $10 cheaper than the US and FFX ffx-2 $27 was a no brainer... Only buy retail for vita so was wrapped to be getting good prices lately...$27 for Tearaway vs $50 plus for importing Ys. Ys is worth grands though but a bargain isn't to be sneezed at.

Doombear

I think Toukiden has the most potential to become a nice mh competitor. At least it fits my taste better than soul sacrifice or god eater.

I feel the same exact way, and I can't put my finger on it exactly. I wanted to love SS but couldn't. I have been playing Burst off and on since it went up as a PS+ freebie. I think I like it a bit more than SS but, well, it is a PSP game on my Vita. Toukiden has me pretty excited though, and I have high hopes for the series.

I feel the same exact way, and I can't put my finger on it exactly. I wanted to love SS but couldn't. I have been playing Burst off and on since it went up as a PS+ freebie. I think I like it a bit more than SS but, well, it is a PSP game on my Vita. Toukiden has me pretty excited though, and I have high hopes for the series.

Well for one, even though I loved SS, I'll easily admit it has a very off putting art style/atmosphere

Ryuukan

Bad graphics, hideous art, unbalanced core mechanics and 95% of the spells being junk comparatively. It's ok to be honest.

Doombear

I definitely had no issues there. I really, truly, am a little confused as to why it just hasn't clicked (yet? I do have it free from PS+ as well now, I Gamefly'd it initially for a few weeks) with me.

On one hand, I think it could be how stupid it makes me feel? What should I be keeping, upgrading, fusing, DOING?! I see the same criticism lobbed at MH all the time and I get it. I just feel lost so far. On the other it could be the actual fields of battle feeling so small. Again... MH has SMALLER areas, but they are linked to create an illusion of larger areas. So yeah, like I said, I see all these things as things that I came to absolutely love in MH as it became my absolute favorite series out there, yet I cannot seem to hit that point where SS clicks with me. I kinda hate it.

Toukiden clicked pretty quick! While the smaller boss number saddens me a bit, as does the lower armor set count, I have to remember that this is their first in this series. Someone earlier mentioned that it took the Manhunter fight for the game to click and I see that easily.

That is the first time you get that urgency, that sense of true danger in the game, and you have to figure out how to break all those spider ass legs!

I think it looks amazing visually, but I do agree about the overkill with the spells

Most would strongly disagree

ixsey8G6ANmnb.jpg

Toukiden makes SS look like a PSP game, which is ironic because Toukiden is the one that was made with the PSP in mind. Really goes to show you what the Vita is capable of when the developers actually give a shit. Soul Sac and Ys Celceta are hideous while Virtua Tennis and Toukiden are absolutely stunning.

ramyeon

I didn't find the visuals in SS offensively bad until I played Toukiden, now it's really obvious just how bad they are. Shame that so few developers are really taking advantage of the system.

Just got my preorder confirmation and it says I can download from the 13th at 9pm! Good news. A day earlier than I was expecting based on past experience with PSN updates.

Ken

Didn't enjoy the demo as much as other people here, and recently went back to MH4, but this game definitely has it in the waifu category. Not sure if I should get on that alone. D:

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

ixsey8G6ANmnb.jpg

Toukiden makes SS look like a PSP game, which is ironic because Toukiden is the one that was made with the PSP in mind. Really goes to show you what the Vita is capable of when the developers actually give a shit. Soul Sac and Ys Celceta are hideous while Virtua Tennis and Toukiden are absolutely stunning.

to be fair many PSP games have better textures than Soul Sacrifice.

ZeroAKA

http://i.minus.com/ixsey8G6ANmnb.jpg

Toukiden definitely has better graphics than Soul Sacrifice, but the areas in the Toukiden demo all seemed bland and flat compared to SS. Is there more variety in the full game?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Toukiden definitely has better graphics than Soul Sacrifice, but the areas in the Toukiden demo all seemed bland and flat compared to SS. Is there more variety in the full game?

it's not like Soul Sacrifice has some super amazing looking arenas. they are as bland as it gets especially the early ones.

Doombear

6 areas I believe.

Dunno, maybe people don't want the zones spoiled? So...
Yore - Desert plains visually based on Ancient Japan, it is the last area to be unlocked.
Grace - Nara and Heian period inspired area with gloomy sunset lighting. It is also the first stage available to players.
Honor - Spiritual mountain landscape with design motifs from the Kamakura and Muramachi periods.
War - Volcanic area to symbolize the Warring States period.
Peace - Edo period style castle area set at night.
Chaos -Wintry landscape visually inspired by the end of the Tokugawa shogunate.

ramyeon

Flat as in... Geographically? Cause I don't remember any areas in SS that weren't like that. You make it sound like the areas in SS were something to write home about, when they were really, really average imo.

ZeroAKA

Flat as in... Geographically? Cause I don't remember any areas in SS that weren't like that. You make it sound like the areas in SS were something to write home about, when they were really, really average imo.
I agree that SS's areas are average, but I remember the Toukiden demo areas were all just brown/purple and geometrically flat. SS did eventually have icy/volcano areas with random (non-flat) structures scattered throughout.

Nice to hear that the full game has more variety though. Be sure to post screenshots when the full game is out, people. :)

Edit: Never mind, just tried the demo again. I have terrible memory.

Shiina

Vita doesn't get digital preorders in US, ever. It's beyond stupid.

That said we do usually (always?) get the preoder bonuses if we buy it withing a certain amount of days or weeks. At least it was like this for Soul Sacrifice and both Atelier games had that kind of promotion as well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Man I can't wait for this game. I hope I can finish Bravely Default in a week because once I get this game, it's all I'm gonna play.

ramyeon

Any word on who's stocking this? Heard it's exclusive to JB but haven't seen anything on their site yet...
Yeah all I've heard is that it's a JB exclusive but they don't seem to be doing anything to promote it. This is a great game but it's going to bomb here in retail thanks to that exclusivity deal.

It's up for digital preorder if you're okay with digital, otherwise you might just have to hope JB stock it from day 1 by the looks of things.

ramyeon

Just over one week until I can play the full version! Jealous of all you guys in the US that get it a couple of days early.

Looks like this game won't be getting a physical release in Australia, which is a bit weird. I usually import everything anyway, but I thought for sure we'd at least get this. =p Oh well, I'll put in a UK order soon.

The demo is fantastic. I switched to knives early on and haven't looked back.

ramyeon

Looks like this game won't be getting a physical release in Australia, which is a bit weird. I usually import everything anyway, but I thought for sure we'd at least get this. =p Oh well, I'll put in a UK order soon.

The demo is fantastic. I switched to knives early on and haven't looked back.
It's not? That's weird since all I've heard so far is that it will be except only at JB Hi-Fi stores. Doesn't bother me either since I'm going digital but it's a shame that it's being treated like this just because it's a Vita game.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

ixsey8G6ANmnb.jpg

Probably because the former group features more fast-paced, hectic gameplay while the latter offers more deliberate, slower mechanic?

But eh, yeah, I am playing Ys Celcetta right now and I can recognize how... PSP-ish, it is, although personally I have no trouble with it.

Anyways, this game will come out on Valentine's Day, eh?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Why should that mean they have to look so bad?

Dunno, maybe by pursuing a more hectic gameplay they are chasing after more stable framerate performance and thus they must sacrifice other areas to achieve it such as graphical showcase?

Though perhaps I am talking out of my ass here, hahaha.

Shiina

Dunno, maybe by pursuing a more hectic gameplay they are chasing after more stable framerate performance and thus they must sacrifice other areas to achieve it such as graphical showcase?

Though perhaps I am talking out of my ass here, hahaha.

Ironically, Toukiden seems to have less fps issues than Soul Sacrifice.

Top Bottom