• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trance Music |OT| #trancefamily

So I'm curious of people's opinions of rolling while at EDM shows. Do you enjoy the music/etc with/without it? It's usually the first thing people ask if I'm going to do if I mention I'm going to see a DJ.

If you guys haven't seen the Partysaurus Rex Toy Story short yet I recommend checking it out:

http://video.disney.com/watch/partysaurus-rex-4cb5aeaed8df6adddc0f952d

:)

So I'm curious of people's opinions of rolling while at EDM shows. Do you enjoy the music/etc with/without it?

At Electric Zoo this year I rolled on MDMA for the first time during Ferry, Mat Zo, and Above & Beyond, then MDA for the first time during Above & Beyond and Markus Schulz. I enjoyed both experiences immensely, and (assuming I can get tickets tomorrow) I intend to take MDMA again during Eric Prydz in November at Roseland Ballroom. Before that weekend I typically only listened to EDM (house, techno, electro, some trance) while running or while driving, but since then I find myself listening to it (including a lot more trance) almost every day. I'm jealous of those that can fully enjoy EDM shows while completely sober but I still haven't tried it, and after experiencing the euphoria that was rolling in the Group Therapy tent on Friday night at EZoo I can't wait to relive the experience.

Ashhong

So I'm curious of people's opinions of rolling while at EDM shows. Do you enjoy the music/etc with/without it? It's usually the first thing people ask if I'm going to do if I mention I'm going to see a DJ.

I was at a show for the first time sober earlier this year. It was Above and Beyond's show, and I still really enjoyed it. But that might have been because the crowd was extra epic. I enjoy the music, I just get really tired, that's the biggest thing for me.

Rolling though...is an entirely other experience that cannot be measured in words.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If you guys haven't seen the Partysaurus Rex Toy Story short yet I recommend checking it out:

http://video.disney.com/watch/partysaurus-rex-4cb5aeaed8df6adddc0f952d

:)

At Electric Zoo this year I rolled on MDMA for the first time during Ferry, Mat Zo, and Above & Beyond, then MDA for the first time during Above & Beyond and Markus Schulz. I enjoyed both experiences immensely, and (assuming I can get tickets tomorrow) I intend to take MDMA again during Eric Prydz in November at Roseland Ballroom. Before that weekend I typically only listened to EDM (house, techno, electro, some trance) while running or while driving, but since then I find myself listening to it (including a lot more trance) almost every day. I'm jealous of those that can fully enjoy EDM shows while completely sober but I still haven't tried it, and after experiencing the euphoria that was rolling in the Group Therapy tent on Friday night at EZoo I can't wait to relive the experience.

I'm gonna try and get tickets to Prydz, really hope they don't sell out. I was at all those EZ sets too!

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Can't believe I missed this thread. Super subscribed.

tumblr_mbpl7g1pUz1rx5k2mo1_500.gif

Stridone

Banned
Yes. Listen to old sets and old tracks. And move on to other genres within EDM that sound more 'trancey' than the newest so called 'trance' from today.

Believe me. Trance music was my world. It still is. I have just moved on to other music now that still gives me that feeling I had with the old Trance music. I used to stay at home for A State of Trance back in the day, went to parties where Armin would spin solo, before the big crowd even knew who he was. I breathe Trance music. Still think about it all day, everyday, when I wake up. I make music myself, Trance is still important to me. Me and a friend would go the vinyl shop every week, and hunt down the new tunes that were not ID'ed yet, or just the new tracks that were pure bliss. Music is still important to me. It has given me so much. So much. But not today's music what is being called 'Trance', while it really has nothing to do with Trance in any way. I'm sorry. So yes, for me the new Armin does suck.

I hate the new "trance" too, and have personally moved on to harder electronic styles such as hardstyle and hardcore. I wonder if there's some interest for that on GAF.

Examples of good hardstyle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb87rclGB0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87NaysIYMw

neos

Can't believe I missed this thread. Super subscribed.
Welcome!Enjoy our trip:D
Yeah, holy shit, how did I miss this thread?
Aaaand also welcome to you sir:)
Some good tunes in here. I'm still going through those great sets that Game Analyst listed.

cdKAs.gif
This gif is mesmerizing. Saved for future use:D

Today is saturday, i've just eaten my lunch and now i'm gonna relax in the best way i can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjx_T6OUV-k&hd=1

neos

I hate the new "trance" too, and have personally moved on to harder electronic styles such as hardstyle and hardcore. I wonder if there's some interest for that on GAF.

Examples of good hardstyle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb87rclGB0c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v87NaysIYMw
I've searched for some more frontliner on youtube, good stuff.
Well sometimes i also like to variate a little, but i'm more on hardtrance (something like scot project)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnMk2-WvL4&hd=1

There's still room for some hardstyle, in the last moths i've put a lot the defqon 2012 anthem in my playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCbbKskNzN8&hd=1

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
GameAnalyst you convinced me to pick up the new Deadmau5 album. I had been putting it off for a bit but There Might Be Coffee locked it in. Great stuff.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Analyst, I'm curious what your avatar is about. Are you very religious or... I dunno, can't figure it out beyond that.
If you've spectated some of the past religion threads and debates we've had on the board he's fairly outspoken. I don't really care either way, he has good taste in music.

Chaplain

GameAnalyst you convinced me to pick up the new Deadmau5 album. I had been putting it off for a bit but There Might Be Coffee locked it in. Great stuff.

Glad you liked that track, because I really liked it. You might enjoy the following track from Deadmau also:

deadmau5 - aural psynapse

Analyst, I'm curious what your avatar is about. Are you very religious or... I dunno, can't figure it out beyond that.

I love Jesus. He has changed me and my entire life. So, I am so grateful to Him for what He has done for me and my wife.

But that doesn't change that I love music. Electronic music (all styles), which I have been listening to since 1992 (maybe even 1991), is something that I really enjoy and love sharing with others. I hope some of the music that I have shared brightens the lives of others.

Not properly trance, but surely this is a blast:)

Ya. When Arty played it in his first show, Together We Are: Episode 001, I couldn't stop listening to it. I had my wife listen to it, and she also really liked it.

Side note... As long as the music sounds good, I personally do not care what style it is.

Here are some new sets for those that are interested:

(As always, right click/save as)

Jaytech - Progressive House

Jaytech Music Podcast 058

DJ Eco - Progressive Trance & Trance

The Sound of You(th) No. 011

Richard Durand - Progressive Trance & Trance

Richard Durand DJ Mix Oktober 2012

Max Graham - Progressive House/Trance

Max Graham @CyclesRadio 080

M.I.K.E. / Push - Various Styles (takes the download off of his soundcloud after about one week)

Club Elite Sessions 272

Alex O'Rion - Trance

Alex O'Rion - Live in South Korea (May 5, 2012)

Jon O'Bir - Progressive Trance

#023 Infinity Podcast with Jon O'Bir

Not a download, but some amazing tracks (Progressive House/Trance, House, and Trance) are played in this set:

Anjunabeats Worldwide Episode 300

James Grant, Oliver Smith, Norin & Rad and Mat Zo - Anjunabeats Worldwide 300 - 14.10.2012

Gav

Warehouse Project this Saturday night.

kWkm2.jpg

Its been a couple of years since ive seen both AvB and PvD, so im more than a little bit excited!

Ashhong

I listened to A&B so many times and yet somehow missed this. Thank you so much, my friend. Feel free to post anything else you come across that you think I may like!

I assume you listened to their TATW episodes then?

Yup I guess so. Never thought to check soundcloud. He has a few tracks on Universal Religion 6 as well.

Andrew Rayel feat. Jano - How Do I Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKNVTGwy04

Andrew Rayel - Aeon of Revenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACFwKYEC5rw

The guy is like some classically trained pianist, which shines in Aeon of Revenge. Love that piano

Chaplain

I listened to A&B so many times and yet somehow missed this. Thank you so much, my friend. Feel free to post anything else you come across that you think I may like!

Your welcome. Do you like Progressive House mixed with trance?

Find their Essential Mix from 06-06-2004 :)

For me, from 2009 to 2011 Above and Beyond's Anjunabeats label blew up.

The 2004 essential mix doesn't have the same quality as their tracks from 2009 to 2011. I think this mainly has to do with the fact that many of the producers (Oliver Smith, Mat Zo, Boom Jinx, Solarity, Arty, 7 Skies, Andrew Bayer, etc.) that made tracks between 2009 to 2011, were not with the their label prior to 2009. I think having those producers at Anjunabeats influenced Above and Beyond in a positive way, and their production skills also improved greatly.

What do you think?

stn

Your welcome. Do you like Progressive House mixed with trance?
Hmm, I would say yes. Here are a bunch of my favorite house/trance/whatever tracks so you can see what I like. And also, so everyone can hopefully enjoy!

Kiwamu - Birth
Blake Jarrell - Maldives
Mocean Worker - Intothinair
D-Mad - She Gave Happiness (Arty Remix)
Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go (Korean Style)
Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go
Answer42 - Pink Houses
Nick Stoynoff - Tokyo Nights
Daniel Kandi - Promised (Emotional Mix)
Bag Raiders - Sunlight
Martin Roth - Deep Style (Original Mix)

One of the tracks there is thanks to the sets you posted for me last time. :D Anyway, hope you guys enjoy a "few" of my favorites. I'm gonna post more if people request it. If you guys want something truly amazing, check out Tokyo Bliss. Its a group of Japanese trance artists - they make the best stuff, in my opinion.

I assume you listened to their TATW episodes then?

Yup I guess so. Never thought to check soundcloud. He has a few tracks on Universal Religion 6 as well.

Andrew Rayel feat. Jano - How Do I Know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKNVTGwy04

Andrew Rayel - Aeon of Revenge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACFwKYEC5rw

The guy is like some classically trained pianist, which shines in Aeon of Revenge. Love that piano

I have listened to Aeon of Revenge countless times. My boyfriend rolls his eyes every time it comes on now.

But that doesn't change that I love music. Electronic music (all styles), which I have been listening to since 1992 (maybe even 1991), is something that I really enjoy and love sharing with others. I hope some of the music that I have shared brightens the lives of others.

Yes, you've posted some great sets. Many are in a playlist I'll be playing all night tomorrow night when we are partying.

Ashhong

I have listened to Aeon of Revenge countless times. My boyfriend rolls his eyes every time it comes on now.

Yes, you've posted some great sets. Many are in a playlist I'll be playing all night tomorrow night when we are partying.

Nothing wrong with playing a great trance song over and over. Slap him next time he does that!

No love for my mixes? :( My next one should be a bangerrrrr

Also, so sad. 6 locations announced for ASOT 600, none in CA. Guess I'm going to Mexico City or New York.

Nothing wrong with playing a great trance song over and over. Slap him next time he does that!

No love for my mixes? :( My next one should be a bangerrrrr

Also, so sad. 6 locations announced for ASOT 600, none in CA. Guess I'm going to Mexico City or New York.

Are you going to see Aly & Fila and John O'Callaghan Dec 28th downtown at the Exchange? I already bought tickets. Can't wait to roll with them.

Tr4nce

For me, from 2009 to 2011 Above and Beyond's Anjunabeats label blew up.

The 2004 essential mix doesn't have the same quality as their tracks from 2009 to 2011. I think this mainly has to do with the fact that many of the producers (Oliver Smith, Mat Zo, Boom Jinx, Solarity, Arty, 7 Skies, Andrew Bayer, etc.) that made tracks between 2009 to 2011, were not with the their label prior to 2009. I think having those producers at Anjunabeats influenced Above and Beyond in a positive way, and their production skills also improved greatly.

What do you think?

I disagree. The best records came out in the early days of Anjunabeats. Early stuff from (Oliver) Smith & Pledger, their own tracks, Menno de Jong, Super8, etc etc.

Smith, Mat Zo, 7 Skies and Andrew Bayer and Boom Jinx are excellent producers. That is a fact. But back then, Trance didn't sound so overly clean, and clinical. Not everything was EQ'ed and compressed to death. But if you have been following this thread a little you know that I'm a sucker for the good old Trance days. When Trance was just, well, Trance! It has changed too much. Almost has nothing to do with Trance anymore.

Armin van Buuren proudly presents A State of Trance 600 – The Expedition world tour!

Mexico City – February 16th 2013
Sao Paulo – March 1st 2013
Beirut – March 9th 2013
Kuala Lumpur – March 15th 2013
New York – March 30th 2013
Den Bosch – April 6th 2013

Hieberrr

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but where do you buy new house songs? I
m talking about up-to-date club bangers.

Ashhong

Are you going to see Aly & Fila and John O'Callaghan Dec 28th downtown at the Exchange? I already bought tickets. Can't wait to roll with them.

Nah..I can't stand club shows. Way too crowded and the music is always more housey than I prefer. Only if it was someone super special, but I just saw those 2 at Beyond Wonderland.

Also, the bolded...pun or literal? haha

This is probably the wrong place to ask, but where do you buy new house songs? I
m talking about up-to-date club bangers.

Beatport

itsgreen

Boom! Armin van Buuren #1 again according to DJ Mag :)

Armin#1, Tiesto#2, Avicii#3, Guetta#4, Deadmau5#5, Hardwell#6, Above&Beyond#7, Dash Berlin#8, Afrojack#9, Skrillex#10

Ashhong

Boom! Armin van Buuren #1 again according to DJ Mag :)

Armin#1, Tiesto#2, Avicii#3, Guetta#4, Deadmau5#5, Hardwell#6, Above&Beyond#7, Dash Berlin#8, Afrojack#9, Skrillex#10

AWWW YEA. The balance has been restored. Armin does so much work, he really does deserve it more than anybody.

Chaplain

Hmm, I would say yes. Here are a bunch of my favorite house/trance/whatever tracks so you can see what I like. And also, so everyone can hopefully enjoy!

Kiwamu - Birth
Blake Jarrell - Maldives
Mocean Worker - Intothinair
D-Mad - She Gave Happiness (Arty Remix)
Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go (Korean Style)
Paul Oakenfold - Ready Steady Go
Answer42 - Pink Houses
Nick Stoynoff - Tokyo Nights
Daniel Kandi - Promised (Emotional Mix)
Bag Raiders - Sunlight
Martin Roth - Deep Style (Original Mix)

One of the tracks there is thanks to the sets you posted for me last time. :D Anyway, hope you guys enjoy a "few" of my favorites. I'm gonna post more if people request it. If you guys want something truly amazing, check out Tokyo Bliss. Its a group of Japanese trance artists - they make the best stuff, in my opinion.

Excellent music bro. You have the same taste in music that I do. So, I know exactly what you are looking for now. =]

This site will meet your musical tastes. All sets a free, are updated weekly on Friday, and they have a huge backlog of sets:

Silk Royal Showcase

I tend to like the guest mixes more than the resident dj mixes. So, knowing your taste, I assume you will probably feel the same.

I would also encourage you to go through some of the tracks I just posted in my last post. I think you will enjoy many of those tracks.

Glad you enjoyed them.

Gav

So, last night was The Warehouse Project night i posted about above.

Just thought id write down a few bits.

Venue is absolutely massive. The main room is insane. Temperature got pretty damn high, and the concrete floor got filthy and ruined my shoes, but it was awesome.

Caught some W&W in the main room, who were throwing out some ace tunes. First time ive heard Emery - The Saga live, and it sounded much better than at home.

Spent a lot of time in Room 3. Very small room, lesser know DJ's. Absolutely incredible sound system in here though. Everything sounded fantastic.
Missed the start of AvB's set on purpose as wanted to catch a Facebook Friend/Promoter playing his first WHP - Steve Arnold. Best set of the night for me, without a doubt. Some really driving, moody trance with the odd classic. Stunning. Only an hour long, but enjoyed every second.

Caught a bit more in here before seeing the end of AvB and then PvD. Was quite nice to hear Armin come on the mic at the end of the set and mention the DJ Mag results. He seemed really humbled by it all.
AvB played some awesome tunes, and then about a third of the room left when PvD came on! PvD was definitely on form - shame the sound system in this main room wasnt up to the job for the space, needed more volume and much more low end. The pyrotechnics were about 10x as loud as the music.

Either way, insane night. Been asleep most of the day... going back to bed now.

I took some photos, but theyre nowhere near as good as the ones WHP are putting up themselves.

Top Bottom