• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

iirate

(has nothing of value to say to the above post :/)

Today I think I have the smoothest shave I've ever had before and I'm still not satisfied. I really need to start hair removal soon.

I'm there with ya. I've finally gotten used to shaving smooth with my ultra-sensitive skin, but I really need LHR. I began back in January, but I walk 4 miles round trip in Texas sun for work 5 days a week, and that is far too much sun to make LHR viable. I'm definitely too broke for Electrolysis ATM, so it's back to plucking for me.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Texas, Australia and North Korea.

iirate

TAN? Well, that's new. (Don't mind me, OT)

I've only started tanning as I've grown older. As a kid, I'd just burn terribly. Even then, tanned me looks pale by most standards, you can only really tell that I'm really tanned if you caught a glimpse of my pasty-white legs for comparison (which never happens. Jeans all day, every day).

I've only started tanning as I've grown older. As a kid, I'd just burn terribly. Even then, tanned me looks pale by most standards, you can only really tell that I'm really tanned if you caught a glimpse of my pasty-white legs for comparison (which never happens. Jeans all day, every day).
I don't really notice people who are tanned in the everyday, I guess it's only an issue if you're looking for the *perfect beach body*. I guess you could always hop on down to a park/beach, and slowly roll around all day topless (can't forget those lines), but I'd imagine that'd be pretty dull.

thanks, lol
The Internet is a great way to forget you live in Texas.
I promise I''ll only think of cowgirls and steak in the future :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
@iirate
Someone wanted me to pass this on to you~!
Someone said:
Let me try to touch on each of your points a bit.

It's always hard to say how transition on the job will go. As I'm sure you're well aware, in the worst cases it can result in harassment and/or getting fired, although if you say a coworker came out to him and things have been fine then it's a good sign. Honestly, if you are otherwise ready, you probably go for it at work, assuming that you could get by should things turn south. If it's not going to work out, better to find out sooner rather than later so you can find a job where it won't be a problem. Transitioning at work is scary, but there are certainly jobs where you can do it. My transition went about as smoothly as could be asked for and while that may be too much to ask for in most cases, it does show it's possible.

That being said, if you're not ready for transitioning at work, you may want to hold off with saying anything there for now. You don't want to come to them on a Friday and say "Hey, I'm going to be coming in wearing a dress on Monday, k?", but you also don't really need to tell them that you're going to transition in 6 months or a year, either. Don't give them too much time to get anxious about what that might entail.

Now, for the tougher part. The situation with your dad sounds really tough and I won't pretend to know what the right choice is. You say he's considered terminally ill and you worry about what your coming out to him might do to his already bad health. I suppose there are a couple things to factor in here. One, do you think telling him about your situation would make whatever time he has left more stressful or do you think it would allow him to see that you know what you want in at least part of your life and are working to make yourself happy? I think how you answer that really might influence your choice. And while this is kind of grim to talk about, when he finally does pass do you think you'll be OK going through the grieving process seen by others as a son? Will that feel like yet another lie to stick with you the rest of your life? Or will you feel it's the best/only option to give him a last bit of respect? There's not an easy answer there.

As for your cousin, well, I feel that's a bit easier. They will have to find out eventually, won't they? You can't hide it forever. Is it the best thing to bring to them? Maybe not, but that probably won't change if you wait either. It's great that you're showing concern for them, but you need to consider both yourself and what the best way for them to hear about your situation is. Better from you than from someone else, right?

Overall, just hang in there. I know you'll get through this.

Got sir'd for the first time in a long time yesterday. Has really made feel like I don't pass as well as I thought I did :/

While I don't know the circumstances, honestly, if it happens once in a blue moon I don't think it means anything. Cis women get sir'd occasionally, too: most people's "default human" is a guy, and if they're flustered, tired, not paying attention, not wearing their glasses, having a cold so they can't hear that well, full of hayfever, or out of sorts for any reason so they just don't see you right, they go with their default.

It used to really bother me, those occasional sirs (maybe a couple of times a year, if that) until a cis girlfriend told me yeah, it happens to her, too. I discovered that no cis woman I know hasn't been called sir at some point or another.

Yeah but at the same time, I've never seen him make any comments towards gays, lesbians, bisexuals, or anyone different.

In his own words, "I'm not a Republican, I'm just conservative. I don't like change."

So should I be worried or not?

For that matter, I'm still chickening on asking if I can move in here.

mollipen

.In his own words, "I'm not a Republican, I'm just conservative. I don't like change."

So should I be worried or not?

My brother is kind of the same way, and he ended up being totally supportive.

But really, there's absolutely no way anybody here could know how he'll react, as none of us know him on any level personally.

Platy

My brother is kind of the same way, and he ended up being totally supportive.

But really, there's absolutely no way anybody here could know how he'll react, as none of us know him on any level personally.

Exactly ... reminds me of one of those "what would you do if the person you fall in love tells you she is trans" threads where one dude was impressed by how calm his ultra conservative father answered that question with something like "I feel in love with a soul, not a body" kind of answer

Okay, I just found out something from one of my friends on Facebook who's also a MTF transgender that really pisses me off.

She runs a group on Facebook of her transgender friends and she added me, of course, but what pisses me off is that while most of the group is MTF but one member is a FTM and said FTM was raped before transitioning and he might be pregnant now.

My parents are conservative, rural, the whole deal. Dad was going to train as a priest after leaving high school but then met mum.

I gave them the book True Selves and they latched on to the part early in the book that explained the theory that it's caused by a brain development issue from a wash of hormones in the womb weeks after a wash of hormones that sets your body sex.

Then they were fine.

Platy

Read that as boobs ... sounded more ....interesting.
...still fits, i guess

....can't you just rent it at the nearest library ?

Top Bottom