• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Emitan

Sometimes I look in the mirror and for a brief moment I think "I really look like a butch lesbian". And then it's gone and I look like a guy again :(

Platy

Nobody never know me .... I bet some people don't even understand what I write =/

...happens in my natural language too =P

Sometimes I look in the mirror and for a brief moment I think "I really look like a butch lesbian". And then it's gone and I look like a guy again :(

Would that be an old lesbian ?
And then you look like Justin Bieber ?

Sorry .. not meant to harm ... i just LOVE those blogs xD

Nudull

Banned

I kinda get a similar feeling as well, although people often joke of how feminine I looked. Doesn't help that my clothing gets colorful, too.

Emitan

Since when did this became the Billie fan club?! *pouts*

ivOAcvqPnVDxU.gif

Now that I finally have an account, just wanted to say that seeing posts around GAF really educated me on this. Awful portrayals in raunchy comedies, etc. are all I had to shape my perception, and I'm glad to be less ignorant now that I've had even this tangential experience with actual people.

mollipen

Celery is normally pretty disgusting, but it goes great with peanut (or, better yet, almond) butter.

Celery is awesome, either raw or in things like stir fry or soup. One of the weird parts about living in Japan for me was having such a hard time getting ahold of celery over there.

Koyuga

I've got a bunch of celery and carrots in that i've been needing to get rid of...so naturally..I'll have some sort of stir fry.

Those are like.. my favorite vegetables.

Okay. Gotta go shopping tomorrow. I love celery, but I don't get to buy it too often. ( girlfriend hates the stuff)

Emitan

So far my strategy is to just pretend I'm out on Twitter and see if people notice and talk to me about it.

The Shidoshi method

iirate

This post is a little long (hah, who am I kidding? WALL OF TEXT INC), but some issues have been on my mind a lot recently and any advice regarding them would be appreciated.

At this point I'm out to most of my best friends, and I'm not exactly hiding that I'm trans from my other friends anymore. I found out last month that more people may know than I realize, as a friend of mine told me he knew before I told him, and that "there were rumors going around", although he wouldn't provide any more details and I wasn't particularly interested in prodding him for them.

There isn't really much of a reason for me to hide, either. Everyone that I've come out to has been completely accepting and supportive. I'm not out at work yet, but I've been dropping subtle hints with friends there, and if someone asked me, I seriously doubt I'd deny anything at this point. I'm a little worried about my manager, as he's openly trans-phobic and has come off as sexist in the 6 months I've worked with him, but he's also professional and knows that I'm an asset to his store. In addition, another co-worker has already come out to him as trans right in front of me, and everything was okay. I'm mostly worried about what it would be like to transition at the workplace, but that will probably be a challenge no matter where I end up.

My mom's side of the family knows, too, with the exception of my older brother and his wife. This isn't much of an issue, either - I have a great deal of respect for both of them, mostly because they have always treated me with respect. Even when other family members would be condescending to me or underestimate me, my brother and his SO would trust me to know what's best for myself or would at least let me fail and learn on my own. At the same time, my brother has never been afraid to offer me help when I need it, and when I decided that I wanted to pursue a career in art, he remained a mentor and one of my harshest critics. His wife is pure awesome, and indirectly inspired me to become vegan (which is pretty much the best thing that ever happened to me). I feel bad for not telling them yet, but I just feel like there hasn't been a good opportunity.

My dad is the big issue here. I feel like I can't be out because if any of my dad's family finds out, he's going to know. I love my dad, but I'm not going to mince words here; he's extremely sexist, racist (bigoted in general), and thinks that liberal ideals are the #1 evil in the world. I don't know exactly how he'd react to the news that the son he thought he had identifies as a lesbian woman. If he were a healthier man, this dilemma wouldn't be quite as bad, but he's not - he's in terrible health and considered terminally ill. I'm worried that such news might send him to an even earlier grave. At the same time, is it worth letting him die believing a lie? I know he already worries about me - he wants to see me graduate college, but the semester that I finally came to terms with being trans was a really rough one for me emotionally, and my grades plummeted. As a result, I owe the school roughly 3 grand before I can even return to school.

I feel largely disconnected from my dad's side of the family, with one exception: my cousin. I don't get to see him often, and I don't keep in touch like I should, but if there's anyone on that side of my family that I feel I could talk to, it'd be him. He's my elder by 7 years, and I completely idolized him growing up. He's one of the kindest people I've met, we share many interests and hobbies, and our families often compared the two of us given how similar we were. I normally only get to see him once every couple of years, but I always look forward to the next time.

He seemed like a good person to get advice from regarding my dad, but ever since I came out to my mom and older sister, I've had doubts. They both told me that this very same cousin came out to some of his family as trans years ago. Like I mentioned earlier, we've always been compared to one another, but this was a parallel that I couldn't have possibly expected.
*(With this knowledge in hand, referring to this cousin using "he"s and "him"s is difficult, but he never personally came out to me, and until I know the whole story, I'll continue to refer to him as he always has had me do.)

Now I feel like confronting him about my own trans-troubles would also probably bring his out in the open (at least between us) and I don't know if that's something he wants. Apparently he came out to family years ago, and yet, I've never heard anything about him intending to transition. Furthermore, he has been happily married for years now and I don't know what his wife knows. Lastly, his own coming out confirmed some of my own suspicions - from what I've heard, his dad and his dad's brother (my father) were the only two people that made a huge deal out of his coming out. Unfortunately, I don't know any more details than that, but I don't want to trouble my cousin or dad if it isn't necessary. At the same time, I can't hide forever - hearing <boyname> or masculine pronouns directed at me has become increasingly triggering over the last several months, even when it's from people that I'm not out to.

I don't know if there is really any easy answers here, but thanks to all of you reading this and any thoughts at all would be appreciated.

Emitan

(has nothing of value to say to the above post :/)

Today I think I have the smoothest shave I've ever had before and I'm still not satisfied. I really need to start hair removal soon.

Top Bottom