• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

lexi

Banned
Tgboards.com, but to be honest, they didn't seem rude but more as one person was making judgement about me based off of two posts made by my friend.

For your own benefit please, PLEASE ignore the politics and policing of TS forums. They're great for an outlet of certain thoughts and feelings you wouldn't mention anywhere else, but they are often bitchy as hell with enough radfems, HBSer's and perverts to fill a convention hall.

For your own benefit please, PLEASE ignore the politics and policing of TS forums. They're great for an outlet of certain thoughts and feelings you wouldn't mention anywhere else, but they are often bitchy as hell with enough radfems, HBSer's and perverts to fill a convention hall.

Fucking this. In twelve years I've not stuck with a single TS forum. They all drove me nuts in the end. Now I just rant on twitter.

User jokingly started calling me stupid, due to my depression and thinking I am stupid, I began to scream "SHUT UP!" at him, this whole argument ensued. (Along with my, admittedly out of tone, yelling about the fact that the Fetishes thread had to be renamed The Nunnery because the site got in trouble with Google due to sexual content). Posts were thumped, one of the users apologized (and presumably didn't get in any real trouble) I ended up perma-banned from the forums (I can still read and edit the wiki part of TVT) and the other guy ended up banned as well. (Although his was apparently temporary).

On the other hand, literally every one of my friends there are in agreement that while my banning was fair, the fact that it was permanent was unfair, as the argument was not my fault. A testament I have to agree to. And they all want me to be unbanned, too. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to prove to the mods that I can control my anger.

In other words, don't call me stupid, I will flip my shit.

Dai101

Banned
*pretends she meant thongs as in sandals*

No Billie, that wasn't what she meant

GkMXN.jpg

Platy

I always found extremaly wrong to use other people clothes ... but then again ...

Ugh, my friend said he was gonna get some info regarding HRT therapy for me, but he hasn't responded yet.

Double post, but I got the answers...

The forum's responses seemed rude to me...

By the love of any deity you believe or don't believe ... NEVER search for medication on a forum.

A doctor is the only place for this.... hrt can fuck up your body insanely if done wrong and without supervision

Platy

A doctor isn't an option for everyone. A lot of people responsibly self medicate.

I never understood this ...

Why is not an option ?

Besides the fact that most countries have it for free, if you are going to save money for a surgery that requires doctor letter, why not get a doctor to give you meds too ?

If you don't have money for this than you will have problem later, because some of those stuff aren't exactly cheap in the long run.

Disclamer : I live in a "third world country" that has a crap public health, the biggest death percent of trans people in the world by far and other insane problems

angelfly

I never understood this ...

Why is not an option ?

Besides the fact that most countries have it for free, if you are going to save money for a surgery that requires doctor letter, why not get a doctor to give you meds too ?

If you don't have money for this than you will have problem later, because some of those stuff aren't exactly cheap in the long run.

Disclamer : I live in a "third world country" that has a crap public health, the biggest death percent of trans people in the world by far and other insane problems

Here in the US insurance is a big reason why it's not an option for a lot of people. Without it simply ordeing them out of the country is significantly cheaper than paying out of pocket for doctor visits, therapy, and the hormones themselves. The reason is different for different people so there isn't really any one answer. There's lots of information out there on self medicating written by qualified doctors (Anne Lawrence being the one I always reference). I agree that doctor is most definitely the safest route but self medicating is a valid option as well.

Platy

Here in the US insurance is a big reason why it's not an option for a lot of people. Without it simply ordeing them out of the country is significantly cheaper than paying out of pocket for doctor visits, therapy, and the hormones themselves. The reason is different for different people so there isn't really any one answer. There's lots of information out there on self medicating written by qualified doctors (Anne Lawrence being the one I always reference). I agree that doctor is most definitely the safest route but self medicating is a valid option as well.

It is NOT a valid option

Each person is diferent and each person works diferent.
It can be a text written by the best doctor on hrt in the WORLD, it is NOT safe to follow the text yourself without medical help.
Also, you need to make regular blood tests and know how to interpret those results into changes of your medication.
Dr Google is ALWAYS risky

Cheaper of course it is, but you will need therapy papers for the surgery and you are exchanging 1 or 2 doctor visits a YEAR for lots of safety problems.... and you CAN order then out of your country if you visit a doctor.

Blood clots, cancer, osteoporosis, heart problems ... there are LOTS of problems that can happen to those who self medicate that it is NOT worth just because you want to save money not going to a doctor.

It always looks that people who self medicate don't look at the far side of those things, not thinking that it is always nice to have an extra money (and I mean SERIOUS extra money ... like "I can be fired for discrimination at any time" extra money) and stuffs like that... thinking about how awesome would be to have the body you always needed, but at the same time you have to take of your leg because of a severe blood clot or you don't have time to enjoy your body because you can have a heart atack or a cancer.

Sorry for the tone, but i saw people having problem because of that and it was NOT fun

yeoz

I posted in the LGBT thread on TV Tropes before it happened.

If you still consider yourself a troper, try having a look at the #gender IRC channel on irc.esper.net which is full of other tropers (mostly because esper is the home of the #tvtropes IRC channel as well.)

angelfly

It is NOT a valid option

It can be a text written by the best doctor on hrt in the WORLD, it is NOT safe to follow the text yourself without medical help.
Also, you need to make regular blood tests and know how to interpret those results into changes of your medication.

Cheaper of course it is, but you will need therapy papers for the surgery and you are exchanging 1 or 2 doctor visits a YEAR for lots of safety problems.... and you CAN order then out of your country if you visit a doctor.

Blood clots, cancer, osteoporosis, heart problems ... there are LOTS of problems that can happen to those who self medicate that it is NOT worth just because you want to save money not going to a doctor.

It always looks that people who self medicate don't look at the far side of those things, not thinking that it is always nice to have an extra money (and I mean SERIOUS extra money ... like "I can be fired for discrimination at any time" extra money) and stuffs like that... thinking about how awesome would be to have the body you always needed, but at the same time you have to take of your leg because of a severe blood clot or you don't have time to enjoy your body because you can have a heart atack or a cancer.

Sorry for the tone, but i saw people having problem because of that and it was NOT fun
I'm aware of the risks and the different factors that contribute to them. I understand the point you're making and it's a valid one. However my view on self medication remains the same so I think it's best that we just agree to disagree since we both very different opinions on the subject.

thatbox

Banned
It is NOT a valid option

The risks are the same regardless of where you're getting the medication from, as long as you're getting blood tests and aware of the things you need to be aware of.

Platy

The risks are the same regardless of where you're getting the medication from, as long as you're getting blood tests and aware of the things you need to be aware of.

So you either die an idiot or live long enoght to become a villain, get a doctor or study enoght to do some post graduation on endocrinology ?

And no, a one or two page pdf does NOT make you an endocrinologist.

Sexual Hormones affects WAY more than just secondary sexual characteristics and those things can even affect how your body reacts to said hormones.
And not even counting how external factors can affect how your body responds to each hormone ...

And not even talking about prolactin ... dear pink unicorn that thing is evil =/

thatbox

Banned
So you either die an idiot or live long enoght to become a villain, get a doctor or study enoght to do some post graduation on endocrinology ?

And no, a one or two page pdf does NOT make you an endocrinologist.

Sexual Hormones affects WAY more than just secondary sexual characteristics and those things can even affect how your body reacts to said hormones.
And not even counting how external factors can affect how your body responds to each hormone ...

And not even talking about prolactin ... dear pink unicorn that thing is evil =/

I don't want to scare you, but a lot of doctors overseeing HRT know less about HRT than a lot of people self-medding.

By the love of any deity you believe or don't believe ... NEVER search for medication on a forum.

A doctor is the only place for this.... hrt can fuck up your body insanely if done wrong and without supervision
Not trying to sound rude, but that is NOT what my friend was asking about.

I don't want to scare you, but a lot of doctors overseeing HRT know less about HRT than a lot of people self-medding.

Truth. I live in the UK, transitioned over a decade ago at 21, and it wasn't until last year that I even saw an endocrinologist. For doses I was relying on fitting closely enough to the generic trans woman in doctors' textbooks that the amounts would be appropriate; arguing with doctors about it usually got me referred to Charing Cross, the gender clinic I saw for SRS and who also changed my meds without reference to an endocrinologist. When my recent attempts to get progesterone prescribed just resulted in more offers to refer me to CX, I gave up and ordered online.

The only thing that separates me from self-medders is I had a prescription. My doctors may as well have been working from PDFs they downloaded from the internet.

However, I did have twice-yearly blood tests. If you do self-med, find a way to get your bloods done.

I'm trying to get a picture of my friend to show you guys. He's not a transgender, but the picture I wanna show you has him crossdressing. It's just, I want to be able to look like him before I start HRT. I mean, obviously, not everyone looks female at first.

Truth. I live in the UK, transitioned over a decade ago at 21, and it wasn't until last year that I even saw an endocrinologist. For doses I was relying on fitting closely enough to the generic trans woman in doctors' textbooks that the amounts would be appropriate; arguing with doctors about it usually got me referred to Charing Cross, the gender clinic I saw for SRS and who also changed my meds without reference to an endocrinologist. When my recent attempts to get progesterone prescribed just resulted in more offers to refer me to CX, I gave up and ordered online.

The only thing that separates me from self-medders is I had a prescription. My doctors may as well have been working from PDFs they downloaded from the internet.

However, I did have twice-yearly blood tests. If you do self-med, find a way to get your bloods done.

Agreed, most doctors in the UK are inadequately equipped to deal with anything but the most common illnesses and conditions.

Well if you have to be a member to view things in that forum, there is some sort of understanding that any image you post to it will be only seen by a limited audience, so it wouldn't be right to take that image and repost it elsewhere.

Also, I fail to see how linking to a picture that my friend had uploaded onto his public Photobucket album and linked to on a public forum is an invasion of privacy.

Top Bottom