• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Cetra

Also, I fail to see how linking to a picture that my friend had uploaded onto his public Photobucket album and linked to on a public forum is an invasion of privacy.

Your friend can't post the picture here themselves so I'd leve it alone. That type of thought process has wreaked some havoc around these parts before. None of us want to see that happen again.

Ains

Has anyone else ever dealt with someone who goes "you're not what-ever-gender-you-identify-as no matter how much you wish to be one"?

I have one of those right now.

I never bother having intellectual arguments with people about gender any more. People are too invested in their ideas about it.

With regards to self-medding - I'm so ambivalent on that issue these days. Once I was SO set against it... thinking therapy was totally necessary before doing ANYTHING to your body because you REALLY want to be sure you are doing the right thing before you sterilise yourself and grow breasts you can never get rid of, and that the risks of potassium poisoning, clots and liver failure were really significant.

Now though... I think if you are young, don't smoke, are not overweight, and have no history of liver issues in your family, then your risk of significantly hurting yourself on starting doses of HRT are really really low in the first three months, and additionally, if you do it under supervision, then they don't actually do anything for three months after you start HRT anyway. All they do is some blood tests before you start on HRT to see what your testosterone levels are for comparison later, and to check your liver function. You can go get those tests done without asking for HRT, before you start. You can then go to a doctor after 3 months and say you already take HRT and need tests to check your levels, and then get a proper prescription (I think they are required to give you a script as a duty of care thing if you have already been taking meds for a while).

I also question the need for therapy for those who are really, really sure they are trans already, and who have support in their lives already. (If you have no support from family and friends, therapy is a good way to figure out how to set up support structures and deal with rejection).

Having said all that, I think self-medding should only be undertaken after being rejected by a doctor as a last resort - some will do the "informed consent" thing now where you just have to sign a thing to say you are aware of the effects of the meds.

And if you can't afford to see a doctor, then you need to take a serious look at how you are going to get through transition before you start. You're going to need to buy those meds, get blood tests, have facial hair removed, and you'll need to have some form of castration within 5 years of starting blockers or the risk of cancer goes up exponentially. Just starting to take HRT without any idea of how to move on from there can result in getting stuck mid-transition, and a lot of people have committed suicide from being in that position for too long, it's really stressful.

Okay, double post, but my friend gave me advice on how to come out to my mom. He told me just to bring up the subject first and she how she reacts in order to gauge an appropriate way to tell her.

Emitan

Okay, double post, but my friend gave me advice on how to come out to my mom. He told me just to bring up the subject first and she how she reacts in order to gauge an appropriate way to tell her.

Sounds like good advice! I've sort of done that with mine (talked about the Miss Canada incident) and she seems pretty fine with it, so I shouldnt have much to worry about.

Still terrified though.

Maiar_m

You take the risk that making a first step that's going to take away your chance at a second one. If she reacts badly to the general subject, you may not find it in you to bring out the personnal one. I'm not saying "don't do it", mind you, I'm saying "be prepared for that".

When I called Viktor, I didn't bother to disguise my voice. Mostly because I was nervous as Hell talking to him for the first time after dating since January and secondly because I know he loves me.

Emitan

I keep getting the urge to see if I could pull off (at this point) doing one of my podcasts presenting as female.
Do itttt!

Mainly cause whenever people talk about your podcasts and they say you're a guy I double take and forget not everyone knows.

I haven't listened to your stuff yet, I'm sorry D:

The more I think about it, the more I'm surprised I didn't realize sooner I am a girl in a male body.

I mean, as a kid, I wished my pee-pee would fall off, I wished I could show up to school wearing a dress with breasts, I'm feminine in the way I act and speak, and in 9th grade, I didn't have any reaction when my friend started to jokingly call me a "she". In fact, when he stopped, I kind of wanted to ask him to start doing it again.

mollipen

TBH that's what I was expecting from the new one.

I had actually considered it (for both the newest one, and Miranda's), and had I not had it going up under morning radio under my usual name I probably would have.

My apologies for the minor tangent, but what podcasts do you host?

I'm on WARNING! A Huge Podcast, Smart Video Game Fan, The Nichiest Podcast Ever, EGM Radio, Miranda's Sweets Shop, and a few others that I make guest appearances on. *laughs* Anything coming from my personal production efforts is up on radio.morningproject.com.

Emitan

Did WAHP stop for months or is my podcast app not working? Never listened to it before so I downloaded what it said is the lastest episode and you were talking about your Poison arcade stick and I was like "wait, I know about this! THIS IS FROM MARCH!"

mollipen

Did WAHP stop for months or is my podcast app not working? Never listened to it before so I downloaded what it said is the lastest episode and you were talking about your Poison arcade stick and I was like "wait, I know about this! THIS IS FROM MARCH!"

One of our hosts had something going on that stopped him from being able to be on the show for a while; that will be changing in the very near future, however.

Sigh.

I may have missed a great chance to come out to my mom.

On the other hand, said chance was about 6 am this morning and we were both going back to sleep.

Well, it certainly ain't the end - there will always be chances. You're detemined to do so (from my understanding), so I hope you end up finding the appropriate time :)

On the other hand, I really, really, really want to move in with her because I found that for spring break next year, they're going to Colorado. And my boyfriend said he'd drive to meet me if I was there.

Hey, I think I may have a better way on gauging my mom's approval. See, my sister has a baby, Victoria. (She's 1 and adorable, by the way)

Okay, so I'm thinking I ask if my mom would care if Victoria decided that she wanted to be man, among other hypothetical questions. Just to see.

On the other hand, part of me wants to think she remembers from when I had told her on Facebook I was transgender, but isn't bringing it up because she thinks I'd be uncomfortable with it.

mollipen

Shidoshi, I did not see you at AX :(

I survived one day, and that was it. *laughs* Nothing against AX nor the people who attend it, I just find more and more that anime cons aren't really my thing unless I'm tagging along with friends. Unlike things like PAX or whatnot, I just don't know what to do when I'm there.

Well, beyond stalking everybody wearing Gothic Lolita dresses and cursing them for looking so cute while doing so. *heh*

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I survived one day, and that was it. *laughs* Nothing against AX nor the people who attend it, I just find more and more that anime cons aren't really my thing unless I'm tagging along with friends. Unlike things like PAX or whatnot, I just don't know what to do when I'm there.

Well, beyond stalking everybody wearing Gothic Lolita dresses and cursing them for looking so cute while doing so. *heh*
Yeah I'm not too interested in that industry at all and didn't see any panels I cared about.
I'm glad I went, it was about what I thought it would be, but less to do in exhibition hall.

Top Bottom