• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgaf: 'cause boys will be girls (and vice versa)

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
ninj4junpei said:
I figured they were bad... but I didn't think they were that cruel. I hope you and lexi don't spare those ignorant fools any more mind than they deserve.

It might help to not give them the attention they crave, but I doubt it will stop them if they are in an environment, as well as a state of mind, that allows them to say and do such things.

Well, it's like Stormfront. It exists, but it's such a small part of the internet, who really cares? There will always be idiots, but rolling your eyes and moving on always keeps them at your back.

I've been a lurker for a while, just kinda got lazy and forgot to post in here :lol , but just wanted to give my support and say hey to everybody

Read the past couple pages and that's pretty fucked up what happened to Lexi and Jamie, sorry to hear that, but of course there are douches on the Internet, just ignore them and shrug it off.
Hope that won't stop you two in posting pics , cause you both are beautiful ladies :D

Poor Rich

Neo Member
Hey to all the pretty ladies in here (current and future.) Don't let anyone cast doubt on you being who you rightfully are. There will always be people out there that make fun or don't understand but for each of them there are also people who support you and will love you for who you are.

AkuMifune

Banned
Hugs to those that need them, beatdowns to those that mock.

Maybe you don't approve or appreciate violence, and yeah, maybe it doesn't solve anything, but it makes me feel better and I'm a very selfish guy. :) Moving on, I'm so addicted to the GiantBomb quest system it's actually taking time away from work and gaming. How sad is that?

AkuMifune said:
Hugs to those that need them, beatdowns to those that mock.

Maybe you don't approve or appreciate violence, and yeah, maybe it doesn't solve anything, but it makes me feel better and I'm a very selfish guy. :) Moving on, I'm so addicted to the GiantBomb quest system it's actually taking time away from work and gaming. How sad is that?
I'm not on GiantBomb, what exactly is the quest system. I take it that it's some grand new form of achievement whoring.

Aigis said:
Bought two more shirts today.

Why do I love color vomit so much?
That's a pretty cool site. I've heard of them before, but I always forget about their existence. I really like how they have pictures of their models from different perspectives, though it's too bad they don't have a picture of the shirt design by itself like Threadless. The shirts you picked are nice looking, though the second one is a bit much but awesome nonetheless. :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
ninj4junpei said:
That's a pretty cool site. I've heard of them before, but I always forget about their existence. I really like how they have pictures of their models from different perspectives, though it's too bad they don't have a picture of the shirt design by itself like Threadless. The shirts you picked are nice looking, though the second one is a bit much but awesome nonetheless. :D
Yeah, they really need to add pictures of the designs by themselves on that site considering how they're just photoshopping shirts onto old model pics now, which makes the shirt look worse than it would had they took an actual picture of it.

http://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/detail/6666?category=1 (you can even see where they just went over the old design on another shirt with a brush tool :lol) vs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kakolak/4517679949/sizes/o/

I really like the designs on that site though. Threadless has way too many meme shirts/obscure reference shirts/shirts you have to read nowadays. :(

AkuMifune

Banned
NewGamePlus said:
I'm not on GiantBomb, what exactly is the quest system. I take it that it's some grand new form of achievement whoring.

Exactly. In this case just providing them additional page views by answering easy game trivia questions, but it's very addicting. Like, what are the five essential elements of the half life franchise? Then visiting each page entry will net you XP for your profile. It's silly, but yet, I can't resist.

Alfarif

AkuMifune said:
Exactly. In this case just providing them additional page views by answering easy game trivia questions, but it's very addicting. Like, what are the five essential elements of the half life franchise? Then visiting each page entry will net you XP for your profile. It's silly, but yet, I can't resist.

That is... brilliant. Holy shit.

AkuMifune said:
I better stay away from that or I will be even more unproductive. -_- That's definitely an ingenious way to increase their AD revenue.
Aigis said:
Yeah, they really need to add pictures of the designs by themselves on that site considering how they're just photoshopping shirts onto old model pics now, which makes the shirt look worse than it would had they took an actual picture of it.

http://www.designbyhumans.com/shop/detail/6666?category=1 (you can even see where they just went over the old design on another shirt with a brush tool :lol) vs. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kakolak/4517679949/sizes/o/

I really like the designs on that site though. Threadless has way too many meme shirts/obscure reference shirts/shirts you have to read nowadays. :(
Ooh, I rather like the design. It's not too surprising that they reuse pictures of models.

I'm actually quite fond of Threadless, since it pretty much makes up my wardrobe at the moment. :3 They can be rather hit-or-miss though.

MiriamV

Neo Member
I keep lurking here as well, and just wanted to send some support to Lexi and Jamie. (and the others as well ofcourse)

I've wanted to post more often, especially when you girls are feeling a bit down, since so much of what you post about how you feel about yourself sounds familiar me.
But I never feel quite sure if you want a female born in a woman's body joining in.

Anyway, big hug to all of you. You are wonderful, sweet and brave women, and for every idiot that posts on the other forum there probably is someone reading here who supports you.

cadburycremeegg.jpg

Have a Cream Egg on me, it might cheer you up a bit :D

lexi

Banned
Thank you for the lovely post MiriamV. :)

By all means feel free to join in on any discussions, it's usually just banter between Alfarif and someone else.

Alfarif

lexi said:
Thank you for the lovely post MiriamV. :)

By all means feel free to join in on any discussions, it's usually just banter between Alfarif and someone else.

What the heck? Someone who is lurking trade your status with me please. :lol :lol

To those who posted about the incident at the other forum, thanks for the moral support, and for the eggs ;) (and of COURSE you're welcome to post Miriam!)

I'm probably going to ease off on the highly personal stuff now though, knowing that other forums like opa ages and ******** take things from here and put them elsewhere to discuss.

I lost my original avatar. Any suggestions for a new one?

Ummm.... not really my style. Australian animals are pretty much rodents and birds, and WTH is that a kiwibird in that group of pics? LOL

I think I;d like something more cartoony.

Jamie xxoo said:
Ummm.... not really my style. Australian animals are pretty much rodents and birds, and WTH is that a kiwibird in that group of pics? LOL

I think I;d like something more cartoony.

use a pic of Michelle Pfeiffer.

Oh wow I love ALL of these. Which one?

Edit: Picked! Thank you BiasedGamer! And thanks too to lowrider and shanadeous for offering options too. =)

Shanadeus

Banned
Jamie xxoo said:
Oh wow I love ALL of these. Which one?

Edit: Picked! Thank you BiasedGamer! And thanks too to lowrider and shanadeous for offering options too. =)
I didn't quite see it before, but you do look a bit like Pfeiffer.
New avatar is great anyway.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Tsk tsk Jamie. I thought you were no longer going to post pictures of yourself?

mollipen

Jamie xxoo said:
I'm probably going to ease off on the highly personal stuff now though, knowing that other forums like opa ages and ******** take things from here and put them elsewhere to discuss.

I wasn't really going to get into all of this until this comment, which I can't just leave be.

Before I say anything, let me be clear: I have all of the respect in the world for you (Jamie) and lexi, and I don't mean any offense by anything I say. Both of you are entitled to your own opinions and feelings obviously, and I'm not trying to come across as saying that you're wrong in your reactions, because at the end of the day the only person who should tell you how to deal with things that concern you is yourself.

THAT SAID...

Who cares? Really? Some people you don't know on a message forum you're not a regular on made some jokes about you. Does it suck? Sure. But in the grand scheme of life, their opinions mean nothing to you. They're random names that exist on the internet, which is just what you are to them. The moment you step onto the internet and do anything, you open yourself up to having somebody do that to you. Every day, it happens countless times to countless people for countless reasons. Hell, screw the internet: the moment you walk outside, you're putting yourself out into society where no doubt somebody at some point will find some reason to bring you up as a topic of conversation later.

"Oh man, that guy I met today was FAT! He's like Jabba the Hutt or something!"

"Oh, did you see that black guy dating that white girl - what's up with that?"

"A grown man wearing a video game t-shirt, I mean COME ON!"

"Remember that girl we saw with the butch haircut and baggy jeans on - I bet she is a TOTAL lesbo!"

On and on and on. That's how people work; it's how they've been since there were enough strangers in the world to talk about, and that's how they'll be until the day the human race dies out. When somebody doesn't know you personally, it's easy for them to talk to you as some sort of thing, instead of a human being. Yes, it's terrible, but it's reality. It's happened to you before, countless times, you just weren't around to hear the discussions, just like it's happened countless times to every other person reading this thread, on NeoGAF period, or in existence.

So you're now going to let a few faceless internet users you've never met, and probably never will, control your life so much that you're going to change how you act here? Really? You're going to let people who mean nothing to you have that much of an effect on how you live your daily life? Why would you give people who have absolutely no connection to you that much power over who you are?

Some people on another message forum know you're transgender; well, you are! Do you know why you're now at the point in your life that you now are? Because you did what you need to do for yourself, no matter what others were going to think about you. You had the strength and courage to not give a damn about anybody who might think you were wrong, and take steps toward being the person you wanted in your heart to be. BE PROUD OF THAT! There are an endless amount of people in this world who never have the courage to walk their own road, to be their own person, to defy what others tell them they should or shouldn't do in order to do what they know and feel is right.

No matter what you think about the words those people on the other forum said about you, they're just words. That's it. It's sad that they found fun in ridiculing you and lexi, but there are far, far worse things that could happen to you. Like it or not, we're still far from living in a society that can accept people for whatever they are. Hell, we still have people who hate the fact that America has a black president, or that people of different races can get married, or that women want the same rights and privileges as men! Wars are still being fought over which God you think is the right one! Even before getting to questions of sexuality and gender, there is still a long list of reasons some people aren't going to like other people in this world.

Just... don't care. It really is that simple. Don't care what some random stranger somewhere is saying about you. Especially on a forum where they tend to be equal opportunity offenders (and thus this isn't an issue of specific anti-TG sentiment). Let them. It doesn't change who you are, it doesn't change the life you're living. You've got far too many things to deal with in your life to let something so insignificant in the overall scheme of thing bother you. If they say "Haha you're a tranny!" then say "yeah, so?". If they make fun of your photo, be proud to now be in the club of 1.3 million other people who have posted photos of themselves on the internet and had the same thing happen. Don't give a shit about what goes on at places you don't frequent, because if you do, it's going to eat you up inside. Don't let some random internet comments control your life so much that you actually change how you act on the places that you do frequent.

NeoGAF isn't some super secret club - anybody on the internet can read what goes on here. If there are things that are so personal that you don't want the rest of the internet to read them, then you shouldn't want anybody on GAF reading those things as well. Otherwise - FUCK 'EM! Be honest about who you are, and don't give a damn about what anybody else thinks.

And for anybody ready to say "it's easy for you to say that" to me because I wasn't directly involved in all of this, no, I wasn't; but I've had this happen to me before, countless times, for a variety of other reasons. I've been well known in various circles off and on the internet since I was a teenager, and I've had things said about me that would make this particular event look like kid's stuff. Hell, there's a decent chunk of people here on GAF over in the gaming side that think I'm a total asshat! *laughs* That's how life works, and if I let those things seriously bother me, I'd have slit my wrists years and years ago. But, you know, whatever. If I can't allow myself to be made fun of or mocked, and even have a little fun myself with it sometimes, then I'll kill myself from stress and worry.

Let it go. Let them say whatever they want to say, and don't give it a second though. Worry about things that are actually worth worrying about, and don't compromise yourself because somebody else might not like you. It's far too late for that, and especially for a person in the position of being transgender, you're going to be seriously fucked if you can't learn to not let the small stuff bother you.

The one other thing I'll say is that the one person I have a serious problem with in all of this is DJ_tet (or whatever his name is), because he showed a stupendous level of douchebaggery. Taking a thread about a serious topic on one message forum and using it to try to gain cool points on another is pretty damn pathetic.

mollipen

seal_club said:
sure.. i just got the impression that the mtf's in this thread were straight.

Well, but here's the problem with that statement... what is "straight" in that case? Born a male, feel female, take the steps to become female. Is "straight" being attracted to women (since you were physically born male), or is straight being attracted to men (since you are emotionally and mentally female)?

aoi tsuki

shidoshi said:
Well, but here's the problem with that statement... what is "straight" in that case? Born a male, feel female, take the steps to become female. Is "straight" being attracted to women (since you were physically born male), or is straight being attracted to men (since you are emotionally and mentally female)?
i assumed your orientation would be based on your target sex.

Whoa, people what's going on, everyone has it right. A straight mtf is attracted to males and a gay mtf is attracted to girls. It doesn't seem like anyone is talking about the same thing.

Anyways, to answer the question, yes. I'm attracted to all sorts of people.

aoi tsuki

Himuro said:
Orientation and gender are not related. You could be trans and be attracted to men, women, both, or nothing at all.

That said, when undergoing hormones your orientation can definitely change, but that's not always the case.
My comment wasn't as precise as it needed to be. Target sex + attraction = orientation. When speaking to trans people that's always how they've based their orientation.

Or, what NewGamePlus said.

mollipen

aoi tsuki said:
i assumed your orientation would be based on your target sex.

Problem is, you can't assume that. I think I know just as many MTFs that are interested in women as I do that are interested in men. Since who you are attracted to isn't at all connected to who you feel that you are (which is the question here), there's no connection.

But also, as has been mentioned before, some people do find their sexual preferences changing once they start transitioning. It could be something to do with the different hormones going through their body, or it could be that their actual sexual preference is different than what they've convinced themselves of, and allowing yourself to be truer to who you are (which is part of what transitioning is) allows you to be honest with yourself in that regard.

No matter what, there's no real assumption that can be made.

Edit: ERRRRRR... I see what you were saying now. Thankfully I wasn't the only one to make a mistake in that regard. *laughs* Yeah, I agree: basing your orientation off of your target sex, not your physical birth sex, makes the most sense to me.

I already typed the above though, dammit, so I'm leaving it!

I've been watching icecoldbath's vlog series (the one linked in the OP). She is so silly, but oh so adorable. :) Some of her videos have been really touching to me.

Top Bottom