• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender VA hired by Dead by Daylight to voice killer character "The unknown" demands reparations after seeing character model.

ManaByte

Drink Reaction GIF by Laff

what bothers me a lot is that paragraph with the "Please know that you are loved, that you are valid" (because a similar thing was said by SBI CEO), because:
  • They try to make it look as if they are some kind of victims of society when in reality most people wouldn't even care about their personal life at work place unless they brought it up and even then no one would care.
  • Being "loved" or "valid" or "talented" just because of your sexual preference doesn't make any sense, no one will be provided any of that by default. Most people have to work to be talented, or validated or loved, is not a default attribute of yourself.

Doom85

What in the seven hells did this VA expect when agreeing to voice a character in a class of freakish monsters in a horror game? A cute anime girl?

205587822_1023jason001_t800.jpg

Technically, The Spirit (a ghost lady) does have an alternate outfit wearing a school uniform, but that’s the exception in the game and not the rule.

FunkMiller

Ricky Berwick’s tweet is particularly good because it creates a valuable comparison.

Here is a person who has genuine disabilities and problems, who refuses to play the victim, and instead shows how people can confront their issues with self deprecation, humour and positivity.

Compare that to the whiny little fucking twat with only self inflicted problems, who endlessly plays the victim.

Last edited:

SaintALia

...In b4 the lock?

indiana-jones-door-close.gif

But anyway...

Why reparations?

Why not ask to be removed from the game when you see that you are being mis-represented? If it's about standing up for ideals and not wanting to be a stereotype, seems asking for VA removal and maybe forgoing pay seems like the better choice than, keeping the VA, keeping the money, and then asking for more money.

Also, I may be completely out of the loop in regards to voice actors, but this person is suggesting they will be attacked if someone recognises them and I, I don't want to be insensitive here...but...
And having a trans VA bring in "LOTS OF MONEY and PEOPLE" back to the game......brah.....

But again, maybe I'm too out of the loop here and this person is super famous, and trans VAs, or even notable VAs themselves, just bring in oodles of money. I've never seen it...but times change I guess. I vaguely remember what Troy Baker looks like, and I think I remember Nolan North's face. Jennifer Hale I kinda remember. I don't recall them significantly bumping up a game's sales, but maybe they have.

Last edited by a moderator:
So they mad a big stink about this, saw it was backfiring and pivoted to supporting the devs? This is all so confusing.
My guess is that they had a knee jerk reaction that was also made worse by people trolling. Now that they had some time to speak to the developer and realize what happened, they're trying to deescalate things. It's good to see, really. It also looks like she deleted the twitter post that's in the OP, so that's good too.

Last edited:

Filben

Why would you assume they consider your MEDICAL and, if anything, your personal background for their character design? You're the voice and that's it. Just because some ingame models in video games look like their respective voice actors doesn't mean it's standard.

Also, isn't this a horror game where almost every creature looks like from nightmares?

Kdad

If you think the character will reflect on your reputation and cause you mental duress if you don't align with the characters look....why the fuck don't you do your due diligence and review this before taking the job?

ssringo

The lesson here seems to be to not hire these people in the first place.

...ok I'm being a bit facetious with that. But seriously, making a big knee jerk stink with your "assumptions" and having to walk it back saying everyone is "misunderstanding" your problem when you catch flak is some serious dumbassery.

Last edited:
Top Bottom