• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender VA hired by Dead by Daylight to voice killer character "The unknown" demands reparations after seeing character model.

phaedrus

Bth3rHJ.png

Doesn't that describe the ultimate goal of transgenderism?

I don't get the VA's problem. 🤷‍♂️

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
This might be the best thing that has ever happened.

Even better than me retaining at Wrestlemania 2000.

My headcanon is that this dude is legit Triple H, sitting behind his laptop at some hotel before some live event that weekend, and he's just like "hahaha, transexuals," while Stephanie is in the next room trying to figure how to put out her dad's latest fires.

I don't see the "man in a dress" part.
It looks like a mangled monster, that was a woman beforehand. It's a killer as well, not one of the survivors (Not sure how DBD works, sorry).

Just because she voiced the character, doesn't mean that it was meant as a caricature of trans people... Maybe unintentionally, but I doubt it was malicious.

Anyway.
This will backfire... Now this will be used to mock trans people.
She could have handled it more gracefully.

clintar

"Dear Sirs, Madams, They, Them, et al, I am writing you today on behalf of our under-represented group. We are a group that is proud of our ways and we are not deserving of your ridicule or disdain. We are very disappointed in your representation of our people and find it shameful. As such, we are demanding reparations not only for the centuries of mistreatment given toward our kind, but also for your depiction of us in your game. It's the year 2024! One would hope the world would have moved beyond this kind of horrible treatment. We look forward to your acknowledgement of this wrongdoing.
Thank you for your consideration,
The under-represented society of non-gendered psychopathic horrific looking deformed-freak-in-a-skirt killers"

Oh fuck you poor little victim of everything.

mister rogers middle finger GIF

By the way the character is actually awesome and more a career booster for him/her/whatever.
I think you are on to something. Instead of adding on to LGB++++to infinity. Can we shorten it to LGBW...the W standing for "whatever" should cover all manner of "identity" from Trans to squirrels to lightpoles, etc

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So the devs hired a guy for a video game and the vfx team spent time making the game character look and sound better than him.

So what's the problem?

Gallard

Man, if you were a developer why would you ever hire voice actors?

- they'll insert their own BS lines when dubbing (anime with Monical Rial)
- complain about pay (Bayonetta Lady)
- get involved in some drama, requiring you to take a stand or redub their lines
- Or sue you (this) demand reparations

AI voices looking more and more appealing...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man, if you were a developer why would you ever hire voice actors?

- they'll insert their own BS lines when dubbing (anime with Monical Rial)
- complain about pay (Bayonetta Lady)
- get involved in some drama, requiring you to take a stand or redub their lines
- Or sue you (this) demand reparations

AI voices looking more and more appealing...
Yup.

Workers dont realize that the less you rock the boat at work, the easier it is to keep a job. The more costly, lazy or attitude-filled people are, the easier it is to get the green light to replace. Think of it like sports. Even super talented athletes get cut or traded because it gets to a point the guy is a pain in the ass in the locker room.

RickSanchez

I can understand that a VA wants to know beforehand what their voice will be used for. And if the Devs first told him/her that their character will be an amorphous blob and then it turns out that it is a hideous monster with arms, legs and a mangled face, then they straight up lied to him/her and he/she should make a case for that.

BUT, he/she could have done that without ever mentioning the trans thing, or bringing a trans angle into this at all. It was a simple case of Devs baiting & switching on a VA. He/She could have gone after them for that alone. Devs should have told him/her that they were going to use multiple types of his/her voice and make a character that looks like that. Then he/she would have gotten a chance to say no to that. So the Devs should be held accountable for this.

Now, because he/she emphasized on the trans angle, he/she is just giving internet trolls a chance to mock him/her and the trans community. Could have been a much smaller deal if it was handled just a bit more tactfully. Now it will have Streisand effect.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I might just actually go buy dead by daylight now if it shows devs that these racists and bigots can't keep whining and controlling videogames.

Last edited:

Robochobo

I might just actually go buy dead by daylight now if it shows devs that these racists and bigots can't keep whining and controlling videogames.
BHVR studio panders hard to progressive communities. They removed the ability for Leatherface to wear survivors faces due to "blackface" and "encouraging in game racism" (whatever that means) a while back but sure, go ahead and support them. You're better off having a laugh, moving on, and quickly forgetting this game exists.

Top Bottom