• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender VA hired by Dead by Daylight to voice killer character "The unknown" demands reparations after seeing character model.

BlueLyria

I don't get it....
Unknown is one of the coolest designs from DBD alongside with the Dredge, it's a horror game, killers are way better when they're unnatural abominations (Yes, I'm not a huge fan of the pretty Korean boy even though his gameplay is cool). Why complain that the deformed abomination trying to look and sound slightly human IN THE HORROR GAME is exactly that? Also, not a huge fan of people using this as an excuse to attack trans identity

cormack12

Gold Member
I mean aside from all the drama and underlying seriousness people generated this is proper belly laugh funny. Why can't people see the funny side of stuff?

Tangerine

What a joke. Still, feels like they saw which way the wind was blowing and instead of doubling down they backtracked.

They're learning! Sort of!?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
not in the loop, misunderstanding... blabla
Instead of communicating with the involved parties directly, they are making a public statement for everyone to misinterpret. Genzees, Millenials, woke, alfabet whatever it is, people are just weird while they, mostly younger ones, should actually be much more adapted to the traps and rules of the internet. Craving some support from their bubbles but hating any form of criticism, instead of actually talking creating pointless drama.

I mean the issue is "for everyone to misinterpret" look at the original statement, they claim the natural next step is reparations for a "clearly TRANSPHOBIC character skin." They are literally gaslighting by pretending what they said prior was different, it wasn't. They wanted to demand more money for being tricked.

midnightAI

And now noone will employ you due to potential backlash if you don't like the end product

martin GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I can 100% guarantee nobody is going to look at her resume and say "We aren't hiring you because you voiced a monster in a dress"
I agree.

But like every wacky emotional person on social media, they think the world revolves around them. Me! Me! Me! Everyone focus on ME!

As if the other 8 billion people on earth really think about their miserable life and politics 24/7.

Kar

Yeah, that is pretty hateful, to be honest. If you're having that kind of visceral reaction just to the way a person looks, then it'd do you some good to maybe try to understand them a little better.

While I roll my eyes at the petty stupidity, narcissism and misogyny exhibited by some of the trans lobby - like the person this thread is about, I have also met and known some genuinely lovely trans people, who just want to be able to live free of the kind of bigotry that I'm afraid your displaying. As ever, knowing a person will break down barriers, misconceptions and intolerance faster than anything.

There is nothing wrong with being trans. It only becomes a problem when you try to insist that what you are is something you are not.
Wait am I the only one with a gag reflex when seeing a trans person?
I guess it's a me problem then. the gag reflex is so strong for me that I was sure it was common.

By the way, when I say trans person I mean someone who visibly had sex change surgery.
Weirdly enough, If I just see a male dressed as women and didn't perform the surgery I don't gag.

I think I just figured something out lol. The gag reflex is not from seeing any trans person, it's only if I know / can tell they did the surgery. :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Wait am I the only one with a gag reflex when seeing a trans person?
I guess it's a me problem then. the gag reflex is so strong for me that I was sure it was common.

By the way, when I say trans person I mean someone who visibly had sex change surgery.
Weirdly enough, If I just see a male dressed as women and didn't perform the surgery I don't gag.

I think I just figured something out lol. The gag reflex is not from seeing any trans person, it's only if I know / can tell they did the surgery. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
Dont worry that's normal.

Anyone walking down the street and seeing someone looking not the norm is bound to get looks. No different than everyone seeing those articles about "The people at Walmart" and you see a bunch of giant fat slobs showing their ass crack or people doing late night shopping in their pajamas. When you see weird shit, it's normal to stare and wonder WTF the going on? It doesnt mean you hate them and want to hit them with a baseball bat. But it's just totally not the norm.

If I see a midget, I'm staring. I dont care what anyone thinks. I see more midgets on TV than I do in real life. So if I see a 3ft tall person standing or walking among people who are 6ft, I'm staring.

Last edited:

Madonis

People should at least be given a reasonable expectation of what kind of character they're supposed to be voicing. That part of the complaint is fair.

The rest...not so much. Then again, reading both the backlash and the backlash-to-the-backlash makes me dizzy.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, just a glace can sometimes evoke a gag reflex for me, I don't know how to fix that.
Exposure therapy. Not joking. All of your experience with trans people has likely been activists on twitter and you tube videos, and it creates a negative association. But that's not fair or accurate to the reality that people who are trans are not a monolith. They have a wide range of values, beliefs, opinions, and worldviews.

That’s just one skin for the killer, which doesn’t even have a gender. What a stupid thing to be upset about.

Also it seems a bit weird to provide a voice for something you haven’t seen and know nothing about.

clarky

Gold Member
Came into the thread thinking the Unknown was that chick from the Willy Wonka experience, but its so so much more. Brilliant.

Mobilemofo

'it has ruined my reputation, has put me physically at risk for being attacked in public if anybody recognizes my face or voice...'

'attacked in public'? attacked by who? & why? the only people offended by this will be the same people who promote gender ideology, meaning this person's afraid that these people will attack them? what? why in the hell would anyone else not offended even bother?...
Attacked by it's own stupidity. Fuckin idiot.

People should at least be given a reasonable expectation of what kind of character they're supposed to be voicing. That part of the complaint is fair.

The rest...not so much. Then again, reading both the backlash and the backlash-to-the-backlash makes me dizzy.
They could always have asked what the character was going to be like. I would have thought that was fairly standard if you were the type who would be upset at playing a freak.

I swear I'm gonna backlash all over your backlash.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I mean the issue is "for everyone to misinterpret" look at the original statement, they claim the natural next step is reparations for a "clearly TRANSPHOBIC character skin." They are literally gaslighting by pretending what they said prior was different, it wasn't. They wanted to demand more money for being tricked.
I agree, it's 100% classic gaslighting.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I struggle to underrstand the timeline, one tweet is her saying that she is fine with that and people are making that into stupid ""discourse""?

Humdinger

I can't believe how emotionally fragile some people are. I'm a fairly sensitive person myself, but my god, these people have no capacity to tolerate reality, differences of opinion, or something not going according to their expectations. How do they even function in life? Do they have designated safe spaces mapped out, so that whenever something upsets them, they can retreat there and hug their teddy bears?

And what gets me the most is that they seem proud of their reactions and their behavior. They are proud of their hurt feelings. They proudly draw attention to how "unsafe" they feel around people whose opinions differ from their own, how "threatened" they feel by it. They proudly announce what a victim they are -- when talking about this trivia. I would be ashamed of all of that. Yet they seem proud of it, like it's a mark of enlightenment and higher morality. It is hard for me to understand the mental gymnastics that lie behind turning utter wimpyness into something you feel proud of.

Top Bottom