• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender VA hired by Dead by Daylight to voice killer character "The unknown" demands reparations after seeing character model.

lifa-cobex

Come On Eyeroll GIF

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I think she just deleted the previous post and asked to stop harassing the devs and there was a misunderstanding on how she worded it…

Anyway conceptually the character she voiced sounds pretty cool for an horror game. She should be proud 😅

This is both hilarious and sad at the same time.

We went from:

"We just want more diversity and inclusion in videogames!"

To:

"Any non-cis-white-male portrayal in a videogame where the character isn't a lecturing, snarky, all-knowing, perfect hero is racism, sexism, misogyny, homophobia, transphobia and cultural appropriation. Fuck you for including us, now cancel the studio and give us MONEY!

Fuck you if you do.

Fuck you if you don't.

skyfall

The top narcissists, perpetually offended, and miserable people of the progressive mob are the ones who take up the trans role.

I’m not sure why you would work with them, you’re just asking for trouble

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member

They are now gaslighting and saying they never intended for a boycott, unsure how them saying they where going to demand reprimations and that there was no diversity officer to consult turned into "just a lack of communication I never meant that"

No you fucking did, we have the comment saved, jesus.

BHVR studio panders hard to progressive communities. They removed the ability for Leatherface to wear survivors faces due to "blackface" and "encouraging in game racism" (whatever that means) a while back but sure, go ahead and support them. You're better off having a laugh, moving on, and quickly forgetting this game exists.
LOL what? Blackface?! I'm dying here.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

They are now gaslighting and saying they never intended for a boycott, unsure how them saying they where going to demand reprimations and that there was no diversity officer to consult turned into "just a lack of communication I never meant that"

She probably killed her VA career on a whim and realized it too late now. Feel pity for her but people should learn that interacting with society also means putting you as an individual behind it most of the times.

Edit.
What I meant is that she has all the reasons to be unsatisfied of something regarding her work but she should’ve taken it privately with the company instead of going public where different rules are at play. It’s all very dumb. There are laws at play that already can act beneficial to you though other channels why going public and lose everything -_-‘ what are you some sort of self proclaimed paladin? The immaturity sometimes of people and this fucking social networks/internet giving the illusions that we are the most important being in the world…

Fuck internet again 😂

Last edited:

HoodWinked

BHVR studio panders hard to progressive communities. They removed the ability for Leatherface to wear survivors faces due to "blackface" and "encouraging in game racism" (whatever that means) a while back but sure, go ahead and support them. You're better off having a laugh, moving on, and quickly forgetting this game exists.

That's something I totally forgot about, they changed their studio name because "A2M".

1k1bxjR.png

Lmao, the boycott thing stood out to me. Remember when the same fucking people "boycotted" hogwarts?

Pejo

I kinda feel for this trans person. She picked one of the worst times to decide to scream into the void about a big misunderstanding that should have just been an email to the developers, but still it should be a lesson that social media is not your friend and public sentiment can change in an instant.

Anyways, I had my laugh, but she clearly isn't doing well with all of the attention and stuff, so I'm gonna wash my hands of this and hope that it's run its course in a short time and that we can all go on not knowing or caring about something so inconsequential. That said, she should probably stop fucking posting on social media, for the betterment of all parties involved.

SCB3

Also, as an ACTUAL progressive and not whatever terminally online leftists are trying to pass off as progressive these days: it kind of sucks that the message this sends to developers is "don't hire transpeople; they're difficult to work with and will smear you for imagined slights."

I think sometimes about the Queer Eye show, where the overall message is "gay people are super friendly and they'll help you get in shape/learn to cook/upgrade your house/etc. etc." The trans activist community has basically done the exact opposite. I have nothing against transpeople and on the whole, I wish them well, but the activist contingent is fucking them over royally.
Most of them are fine and mainly want to be treated as normal people, cool no issue there for at all

Again its the vocal minority thinking they speak for all and think they're giving a "voice" to the voiceless without realising they're doing more harm than good

Kar

How did you know how I view transgenders? this is spot on holy shit.
I seriously can't even glance at trans people.. If I see a creature on a youtube thumbnail, I automatically click on "don't recommend channel" and bye!
It's sound hateful but It's really not about that.. Unfortunately, just a glace can sometimes evoke a gag reflex for me, I don't know how to fix that.

I kinda feel for this trans person. She picked one of the worst times to decide to scream into the void about a big misunderstanding that should have just been an email to the developers, but still it should be a lesson that social media is not your friend and public sentiment can change in an instant.

Anyways, I had my laugh, but she clearly isn't doing well with all of the attention and stuff, so I'm gonna wash my hands of this and hope that it's run its course in a short time and that we can all go on not knowing or caring about something so inconsequential. That said, she should probably stop fucking posting on social media, for the betterment of all parties involved.
I get it. The issue is the crying all over twitter really. Like have people not learned by now they're going to be torn apart? This should have just been handled between the individual and the company. I don't understand how they think doing this will help their cause in anyway.

FunkMiller

I seriously can't even glance at trans people.. If I see a creature on a youtube thumbnail, I automatically click on "don't recommend channel" and bye!
It's sound hateful but It's really not about that.. Unfortunately, just a glace can sometimes evoke a gag reflex for me, I don't know how to fix that.

Yeah, that is pretty hateful, to be honest. If you're having that kind of visceral reaction just to the way a person looks, then it'd do you some good to maybe try to understand them a little better.

While I roll my eyes at the petty stupidity, narcissism and misogyny exhibited by some of the trans lobby - like the person this thread is about, I have also met and known some genuinely lovely trans people, who just want to be able to live free of the kind of bigotry that I'm afraid your displaying. As ever, knowing a person will break down barriers, misconceptions and intolerance faster than anything.

There is nothing wrong with being trans. It only becomes a problem when you try to insist that what you are is something you are not.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
In physical danger if anyone sees their face in public? Do they look like the killer?

Apart from David Hayter, Laura Bailey, Ashley Johnson, Nolan North, Troy Baker and Guy Cihi, I couldn't name one fucking gaming voice actor who isn't an accomplished actor prior and I wouldn't be sure if it's them if they were in a lookalikes competition.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Bummer for Trans people who are just trying to get on with their lives.

I don't know what kind of pushback the studio got as a result of the voice artist's tweets, but it's a bit of a foolish move to go to Twitter to address the problem, and not the people that they actually need to talk to about this.

As for the design itself being some sort of "man in a dress" I think the VA has a bit of a point that they may or may not want to be connected to that character and that the studio should have kept them in the loop on how the character being voiced would appear. I think it's totally reasonable that they might feel aggrieved there.

This feels a bit like how racism was spoken about a few years ago, that black people would be picked up for any minor infraction and that be blown out of proportion or used as a smear on all black people.

Edit: the stuff about being put at risk due to being recognized though? That seems a bit of a reach to me, at first glance.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

The monster does not have a gender

That's just one of the possible skins for it. There are others with it wearing male clothes.
Then clearly these bigots should have hired genderfluid or an enby!

At least mocap seems to be on point. As for being recognized, if someone can recognize you from this, they'll run from you, not at you! Nothing to worry about, frankly.

That is absolutely amazing. Pathetic this VA sniffs and payout and goes for it. I'm sick of suing culture. There is zero chance this person gets attacked for voice acting a character in a videogame like this lol.

nkarafo

Still waiting for the internet did good to humanity thing…
Ignorance is spreading worse than before
Hate fueled like crazy
Nations losing fully any kind of identity
Big corps eating all
Ect

Total ww internet Black out needed asap 🙏
Internet was fine when computers were harder to use and there weren't any "user friendly" smartphones and the speed was slower.

It was a tool that needed some basic knowledge to be used, some patience and at least a reasonable amount of intelligence. That worked like a global filter which kept away all the ignorant masses.

With the filter gone, the internet became mainstream. That's the equivalent of being completely destroyed basically so it might as well just black out completely for all i care.

00_Zer0

Let me get this straight. You are a voice actor for a well known horror franchise, you took the job, got paid for it, now STFU. According to IGN there can't be any black zombies, and now this trans actor says their being put into danger because of this amorphous monster who kills. So there can't be trans monsters either? Clown World 2024.

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

I have no idea how voice acting works but I find it kind of weird how a professional could do this work without knowing the character that’s being portrayed.

how is this an issue? you got paid and will be credited. That monster actually looks cool imo. The sensitivity here is out of charts
Exactly. It's voice acting for a monster. You have no say in what the character should look like. The character isn't you. The character isn't real. Why is this a big deal lol. Honestly seems like such a nothing problem, I really don't understand it. Why ALWAYS pull the victim card.

not in the loop, misunderstanding... blabla
Instead of communicating with the involved parties directly, they are making a public statement for everyone to misinterpret. Genzees, Millenials, woke, alfabet whatever it is, people are just weird while they, mostly younger ones, should actually be much more adapted to the traps and rules of the internet. Craving some support from their bubbles but hating any form of criticism, instead of actually talking creating pointless drama.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Well its a trans person.. maybe he/she thought the moster would be a trans human ??.. a monster leaving inside a normal human ? Who knows!

Thanks, Ill let myself out!

Top Bottom