• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes Ascend Beta Thread: Shazbot!

R2w3W.jpg

This is going to be really short because the Beta preview starts in like 2 minutes. SHAZBOT. DEFEND OUR FLAG.

Platform: PC
Release Date: 2012?
Genre: Jetpacking, fast paced, capture the flag FPS
Price: Free 2 Play

* Purchasing Tribes Gold or Boosters during the Closed Beta gives you lifetime VIP status. (Cheaper than buying the VIP starter pack, 10 day booster is only £5.95)
* The NDA has been lifted for the closed beta, so impressions/screenshots are OK.

The contents of the VIP starter pack are, for those interested:
3,000 Tribes Gold (Value: $30 USD) (In game currency that can be used for unlocks instead of tokens)
30-Day Booster (Value: $15 USD) (Increased XP & Tokens for matches, allowing quicker unlocking of skills/classes)
Lifetime VIP Status (Queue Priority, VIP only servers, Quicker XP / Token gain)
Admission to Beta

SHAZBOT: SHAZBOT

Screenshots:
NEWCTF2_Crossfire_01.jpg

NEWCTF1_Drydock_03.jpg

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevWde_F-yU

Register for beta here: www.tribesascend.com

Share names and stuff so we can play together. I believe the NDA is now lifted. I will be streaming some gameplay.

HOW DID I GET HERE I AM NOT GOOD WITH FUSOR

mkenyon has written a short guide on the roles and gameplay of Tribes that you should read to learn how to start contributing to your team.

taoofjord

Installing it now, can't wait.

Have to say, though, that Hi-Command has one of the most hideously designed interfaces I've seen in years. It's an embarrassment and I feel sorry for the Tribes team since they are stuck with it. They need to hire a graphic designer, any graphic designer, as soon as possible.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Just had my first match... Impressions?

OMG...ITS TRIBES...OMG...OMG...OMG...ITS TRIBES!...OMG :D

Even managed to maintain my puny 2:1 Kill death ratio (in Lights, could do 4:1 with Heavies), just need to unlock heavies and mortars for my household be be a noisy mess of childish screaming with glee :D

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Dizzy-4U said:
I didn't get anything. Someone please check if the FOV can be changed.

It can, from 70 degrees to 120 degrees, default is 90 degrees

Victrix

*beard*
OP has no links to where I download, install, and play this game.

This thread is therefore useless to me. I leave in dismay.

taoofjord

Massive sigh... it's not that great. I was really hoping they could pull this off but once again Tribes fans get shafted with a cheap and janky shell of their favorite game. Why can't someone just re-make Tribes 1 or 2 in HD?

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
Victrix said:
OP has no links to where I download, install, and play this game.

This thread is therefore useless to me. I leave in dismay.

it's invite only kinda stupid to have a closed beta for a F2P game imo but anyway i got my key and dling it now

Xater

Because this thread exists I guess people will be able to talk freely about it? I am very interested in hearing some impressions.

rac

Banned
Moody how'd you end up in all these betas? You're so lucky, I bet you even got in the just dance 2 beta.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rygar 8 Bit said:
it's invite only kinda stupid to have a closed beta for a F2P game imo but anyway i got my key and dling it now
Ever wonder why some establishments will make people wait in line outside of the door even when it's practically empty inside? An air of exclusivity is an easy way to generate interest.

ksimm said:
Downloading now, I didn't think it started until tomorrow. :O

Think the message I got yesterday said it's only for a few hours today to prepare for the big one tomorrow. Played a couple games, seems okay. Going back to Battlefield 3 now.

tuxor

Neo Member
Osiris said:
Even managed to maintain my puny 2:1 Kill death ratio (in Lights, could do 4:1 with Heavies), just need to unlock heavies and mortars for my household be be a noisy mess of childish screaming with glee :D
...unlock?

Not to derail but...classes? unlocks? in my tribes?
dontwanna.jpg

day one.

It's pretty fun from what I've played. I think they did a good job with it, but they really need to rework the main menu and the UI. It seems a bit amateurish.

Quote to see an extra beta key. I believe this one hasn't been used yet. Please post if you take it.

tuxor

Neo Member
crimsonheadGCN said:
It's pretty fun from what I've played. I think they did a good job with it, but they really need to rework the main menu and the UI. It seems a bit amateurish.

Quote to see an extra beta key. I believe this one hasn't been used yet. Please post if you take it.

Thanks man!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Stahsky is my name on it. Still trying to get the controls down and interface.

Yikes. I feel like I'm barely moving at times. I feel like I can barely get momentum.

First impression is that it is awesome. That feeling the first time you hit someone in the face with the discthrower.

U2COz.gif

Calling myself questionmark.

For those that are desperate, you can preorder the game and get into the beta here.

Tenck

LyarVonLyar said:
Is it too late for a beta key and is it IP locked? Really enjoyed Tribes, Tribes 2 was okay but a floaty mess.

You can still pay your way into the beta :p

Don't know about IP locked

Edit: I'll be going by the username Tenckaichi :/

Hope to meet some gaffers.

Edit2: Download is 1.48 GBs if anyone is interested.

LyarVonLyar

Neo Member
Pre-order being item shop gold, VIP status for LIFE, 30 day booster, and beta admission...

Timed item shop items are my greatest pet peeve with f2p games. HMMM!

Tenck

-Downloads 1.41GB file

"Okay just 10 minutes no problem

-Checks downloaded file

"Ugh, okay no problem"

-Installs

"*_*"

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
How do I unlock any loadouts/classes other than the two defaults? Do I really need to get 15,000 "tokens" (whatever those are)?

Also, where's the map I played at Quakecon? The only two maps I've seen in the beta so far are definitely not as visually appealing. Still - feels like Tribes and I'm having a blast.

And how do I get a vehicle?!

My name's MoodyShuffle.

"How do I unlock any loadouts/classes other than the two defaults? Do I really need to get 15,000 "tokens" (whatever those are)?

Also, where's the map I played at Quakecon? The only two maps I've seen in the beta so far are definitely not as visually appealing. Still - feels like Tribes and I'm having a blast.

And how do I get a vehicle?!"

Yes, you need to get 15000 tokens, which, depending on how hardcore you play and how good you are, will take anywhere from days to weeks.

You get a vehicle by getting enough credits and then going to the vehicle station and buying one.

Tesseract

Banned
DKo5 said:
How do I unlock any loadouts/classes other than the two defaults? Do I really need to get 15,000 "tokens" (whatever those are)?

And how do I get a vehicle?!

classes cost 15,000 tokens or 520 gold. tokens are earned by winning and being badass. gold is bought with cash money. i already have 2,000 tokens, so it's not too bad. everything can be unlocked by playing the game.

vehicles cost credits, which you obtain by icing fools and doing good things, like capturing the flag or repairing your base. walk up to any vehicle station to buy a vehicle.

*edit* doh, beaten.

Teknopathetic said:
My name's MoodyShuffle.

Oh cool, pretty sure I saw you in a game earlier.

Is anyone else having problems running the game? It's like my comp can hardly run it on low settings. =\

Top Bottom