• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes Ascend Beta Thread: Shazbot!

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Ugh, reminds me of why I generally dislike most F2P models, where if you're hardcore and play 6 hours a day you can get everything without paying. Those of us who, unfortunately, don't have that kind of time are shafted unless we open up the wallet. Oh well, such is life. Its Freeee!

I played for a couple hours, won a few matches, have a >1.5 k:d, capped the flag, etc. and I've only got a few hundred tokens. Not sure if it can keep me playing with that kind of reward loop :\

StickSoldier said:
Oh cool, pretty sure I saw you in a game earlier.

Is anyone else having problems running the game? It's like my comp can hardly run it on low settings. =\

Runs great on my work PC - but then again its a pretty fast workstation. For those that care, I'm running 1920x1200 with everything maxed out, FOV at 100, and without scientific benchmarks I can say I'm at 60fps with some bearable drops when stuff goes crazy.

Specs:
Xeon E5620 (2.4GHz quad i7-based CPU)
12GB RAM
Geforce GTX 470

Fireye

DKo5 said:
I played for a couple hours, won a few matches, have a >1.5 k:d, capped the flag, etc. and I've only got a few hundred tokens. Not sure if it can keep me playing with that kind of reward loop :\

Pretty sure if you paid $30 for the "vip" buy-in, you get 3000 tokens or something, which should unlock all the classes pretty quickly. Either way, THIS IS FUCKING FUN! It's not quite like I remember Tribes1 (FOV seems narrow, Auto-Ski), but it's SO FUN.

Best moment of the night so far for me has been, being spinfused to death, and then having my grenade I pulled slightly prior to my death killing the guy who killed me.

Oh, and my handle is Fireye.

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Fireye said:
Pretty sure if you paid $30 for the "vip" buy-in, you get 3000 tokens or something, which should unlock all the classes pretty quickly. Either way, THIS IS FUCKING FUN! It's not quite like I remember Tribes1 (FOV seems narrow, Auto-Ski), but it's SO FUN.

Best moment of the night so far for me has been, being spinfused to death, and then having my grenade I pulled slightly prior to my death killing the guy who killed me.

Oh, and my handle is Fireye.

Oh, its definitely fun. I've missed Tribes so much.

My favorite is managing a 190mph (or kph? whatever.) flag grab with two midair disc hits on the way back to base defending myself without any backup. Such a rush!

Mechazawa

Key moment of the night: Dicking around near the enemy base only to see the enemy that's currently holding our flag and about 4 of my own teammates in pursuit fly off a hill towards me as I one shot the flag holder. Feelsgoodman.

Fireye said:

So a dedicated ski button wasn't in the previous Tribes games? How was "skiing" handled then?

"So a dedicated ski button wasn't in the previous Tribes games? How was "skiing" handled then?"

Technically? Timing jumps to reduce friction.

Realistically? Installing a script that automatically jumped for you so long as you held down the jump button.

Tribes: Vengeance did have a dedicated ski button but a lot of Tribes fans won't acknowledge that game.

Fireye

Littlegator said:
What's the VIP status entail?

VIP status gets you access to their VIP servers, which only VIP users can get in to. I think there's a token or xp bonus on those servers. Beyond that... not sure.

Terrific fun. I'm hopeless, but it's a stunning change of pace from the usual fare the genre offers. Got a single kill, a single assist, but just coming to terms with the classic Tribes style and mechanics again is bliss. Good stuff.

Damnit, server down. Been playing around on the empty maps, just learning how to ski and shit.

Edit: Ah, so that was the preview. The servers won't be back up before 1600GMT. 13 1/2 hours :|

PasteyMF

I'm really on the fence about this one. I'd love to pick it up, but I'm wondering if $30 is worth it. What does the VIP status get me exactly? What are boosters good for? I guess the info for me is a little low. Personally, I loved Tribes 1 and 2 and played both of them for about 6 months straight when they came out.

Zeal

Banned
Just preordered the game. So....I get in the beta on the 4th...?

EDIT. Wait, I'm confused. Is the Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter package for $30 NOT the actual game? I mean, are you buying the game in advance or are you just buying a slot in the beta? If so, that is some BS, cause I grabbed it kinda blindly.

Zeal said:

Yes, you should be able to download the Launcher and pre-load. I did the same.

So since the servers are down, the game isn't playable right? I launch the game, type in my login details (though mouse cursor is missing which is weird) and it gives me "error code d%"

Guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow to check it out. I'm pumped though!

Zeal said:

EDIT. Wait, I'm confused. Is the Tribes: Ascend VIP Starter package for $30 NOT the actual game? I mean, are you buying the game in advance or are you just buying a slot in the beta? If so, that is some BS, cause I grabbed it kinda blindly.

I see what you mean now...

I'm curious what I just bought :p

Zeal said:

The actual game is free.

taoofjord said:
Installing it now, can't wait.

Have to say, though, that Hi-Command has one of the most hideously designed interfaces I've seen in years. It's an embarrassment and I feel sorry for the Tribes team since they are stuck with it. They need to hire a graphic designer, any graphic designer, as soon as possible.

yeah, kinda wish they did not crap it up with their own launcher, i don't need 23487237 million launchers installed each with 1 game..

in as Wals - likely always base raping heavy

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Couple of points that should be added the the OP:

* Purchasing Tribes Gold or Boosters during the Closed Beta gives you lifetime VIP status. (Cheaper than buying the VIP starter pack, 10 day booster is only £5.95)
* The NDA has been lifted for the closed beta, so impressions/screenshots are OK.

The contents of the VIP starter pack are, for those interested:

• 3,000 Tribes Gold (Value: $30 USD) (In game currency that can be used for unlocks instead of tokens)
  • 30-Day Booster (Value: $15 USD) (Increased XP & Tokens for matches, allowing quicker unlocking of skills/classes)
  • Lifetime VIP Status (Queue Priority, VIP only servers, Quicker XP / Token gain)
  • Admission to Beta

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Servers are up!

Clear the mines from our flag!

Liberty4all

Banned
Got my beta key. sadly at work. Will download tonight and post impressions. I played Tribes 1 exclusively for 3 years straight. Hoping for the best with this one.

ksimm

I managed to put in a couple of games last night and from what I played was pretty damn good. Not sure on all this unlocking classes / vehicles business but if it's free then no one can really complain. :)

dLMN8R

Woohoo, got my key! Can't wait to start playing this. It was my favorite game at PAX by far.

I read a note on the beta forums that Jump was re-introduced to the game after lots of feedback, cool :)

I also asked one of the developers at PAX if the weapon sizes would be reduced from feedback. It didn't bother me once I actually started playing the game, but the dev did confirm that they'd heard the feedback and would be responding accordingly :)

Never played Tribes back in the day, but I am starting to get the basic movement down. I can usually get across the map pretty fast now and only fuck up my skiing sometimes. Having a lot of fun with it though, weapons are the next thing I have to work on using. I wish classes didn't have such a high unlock cost though.

BTW if anyone wants to add me to their friend list, my name on there is monkyofdoom.

Anilusion

I'm considering buying the $30 pack and I haven't even played Tribes before. This is an oldschool, movement based multiplayer focused FPS, right? If yes, then fuck yes.

If anybody has a spare beta key, I wouldn't mind. <3

AzumiChan

Banned
The character movement is down, feels very Tribes 2. Which in my personal opinion, is a very good thing. Controlling the Shriek however is something entirely different.
Stiff as hell and no reverse. And the point buy system is stupid.

As it is now, you never see anyone use any vehicles. Sadly.

Anilusion

Regarding the $30 pack, does the 30 day booster activate when you purchase it, or can you chose when you want to use it?

Osiris

Anilusion said:
Regarding the $30 pack, does the 30 day booster activate when you purchase it, or can you chose when you want to use it?

You can choose when to activate it.

Played one game, felt good skiing again. Fuck yea. I don't regret purchasing that stuff, since it seems VIP status will be really handy for someone like me who isn't the best at competitive FPS online. Plus, having everything carry over from the beta into the release will be great.

My name is "indigoo" - add me!

Anilusion

* Purchasing Tribes Gold or Boosters during the Closed Beta gives you lifetime VIP status. (Cheaper than buying the VIP starter pack, 10 day booster is only £5.95)

Will this still be true once open beta starts? I'd really like to have lifetime VIP but it would suck to not get into the closed beta.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
joy, the game causes me to blue screen, I haven't seen one of those since Vista.

yay, waste of $30.

Teknopathetic said:
"So a dedicated ski button wasn't in the previous Tribes games? How was "skiing" handled then?"

Technically? Timing jumps to reduce friction.

Realistically? Installing a script that automatically jumped for you so long as you held down the jump button.

Tribes: Vengeance did have a dedicated ski button but a lot of Tribes fans won't acknowledge that game.

I'm 90% sure that Tribes 2 had the auto-ski option as well.

Zeal

Banned
This would be great if they'd actually fix the 360 controller support. I have to switch back to keyboard and mouse just to choose which faction I want to play as, and I will randomly lose the ability to zoom my sniper for an entire game.

Other than the control issues, it's classic Tribes fun.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
It's Tribes. And that's a good thing. The bad thing is the F2P model looking like an enormous timesink for people who don't put down any real money, but spending real money makes it pretty reasonable compared to something like LoL, at least at the moment, so it looks like you'll be wanting at least to get VIP status, which is just via spending any amount during the closed beta it seems.

All of the class unlocks total up to I think the $50 gold purchase or thereabouts, so realistically if you spent $50, unlocked all the classes you wanted, saved the rest of your gold and all the tokens you'll get by playing as normal, you'll still have plenty around when they add more classes down the road. So if the timesinks are frustrating, just treat it like a regular full priced game.

Cuz it's Tribes and it's clearly worth paying for. It's mid-air spinfusoring a little blip when you're both rocketing 200mph in different directions, not blinding someone in broad daylight with a fucking flashlight.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Perhaps it was due to me trying to get my feet back into Tribes, but I felt like I was going incredibly slow with the default loadout/class. Anyone have any impressions on how it felt with better perks or a lighter armor?

If it's just around 50-60 bucks to get all the current gear unlocked as you say it is Evil, I may just dip. Battlefield 3 just isn't grabbing my attention like BF2 or BC2 was, and I gotta get my quality FPS fix from somewhere.

I have nothing but fond memories of Tribes, so I really hope this holds up later down the road like the older ones did.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yeah, I unlocked the Pathfinder (light armor flag runner class) and got the first tier energy regeneration unlock for it, and it's quite fast and you spend a whole lot of time off the ground. Mobility on something like the Soldier is good too, considering it's medium armor, and you can get up to similar sorts of speeds skiing under normal circumstances, but it's mainly separated by the significantly faster energy regen on the Pathfinder.

You go squish of course in light armor and have weaker weapons, so medium feels like a good flexible middle ground, but after putting some time into Pathfinder I've been enjoying zipping around.

I think it takes two hits to kill a medium armor using a light spinfusor OR a medium spinfusor, so having a light one is not much of a disadvantage. Faster reload too.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Yeah, I only gave the game a good hourish anyway, so I'll give it some more time once I get these 15 pages on this research paper finished.

I saved a good deal on some November game purchases thanks to GAF, so I may just bite and unlock some dudes in this. Thanks for the impressions Evilore.

Top Bottom