• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes Ascend Beta Thread: Shazbot!

Mechazawa

The base game is incredibly fun, but the grind is ri-fucking-diculous. League of Legends strikes that perfect balance where, even if I put down the occasional 10 or 20 dollars, it feels fine because I get so much god damn IP to spend on characters and runes. That's with matches being longer too.

15000 for single loadouts is WHAT THE FUCK levels of insanity. I'm not ready to put down any money yet if future updates are going to be this expensive and make it so that the only feasible way of accessing them will be with laying down more money.

Also, balance is a big of a concern if they're going to keep putting out new loadouts.

"The base game is incredibly fun, but the grind is ri-fucking-diculous. League of Legends strikes that perfect balance where, even if I put down the occasional 10 or 20 dollars, it feels fine because I get so much god damn IP to spend on characters and runes. That's with matches being longer too."

To be fair, and Evilore brought this up, getting the "whole" game in T:A is significantly easier than in pretty much other F2P game. 50$ will unlock pretty much every class. 50$ will unlock maybe half of the heroes in League of Legends, and all of the recent champions are ~9$ a piece and they're not a part of any bundle. You're looking at dropping 200+ dollars to get "everything."

The play time to unlock everything is probably the same, but Tribes feels worse because it's going to take so long to unlock anything.

Emitan

I just watched TotalBiscuit's "WTF is" for this game, and as someone who's never played a Tribes game before, I desperately need to play this. Don't want to drop $30 to get in though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I used my pass and name to log into the Hi-rez site and launcher on the Tribes game itself, but it's saying that it's incorrect(it doesn't even act like it's running it through the system to check)

any idea what might be wrong?

Mechazawa

Teknopathetic said:
To be fair, and Evilore brought this up, getting the "whole" game in T:A is significantly easier than in pretty much other F2P game. 50$ will unlock pretty much every class. 50$ will unlock maybe half of the heroes in League of Legends, and all of the recent champions are ~9$ a piece and they're not a part of any bundle. You're looking at dropping 200+ dollars to get "everything."

The play time to unlock everything is probably the same, but Tribes feels worse because it's going to take so long to unlock anything.

I'm more concerned with what they do in the future. If content comes at the same frequency as something like LoL and they match parity in terms of significant gameplay options that you can "purchase", I'll have to be running that treadmill for a really long time for a really small piece of the game.

They'll have to scale down token points for older loadouts as newer loadouts/maps come out, right?...RIGHT?!?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Mechazawa said:
I'm more concerned with what they do in the future. If content comes at the same frequency as something like LoL and they match parity in terms of significant gameplay options that you can "purchase", I'll have to be running that treadmill for a really long time for a really small piece of the game.

They'll have to scale down token points for older loadouts as newer loadouts/maps come out, right?...RIGHT?!?

For sure it's a concern, yeah. If they keep churning out classes and some are much more desirable than others, and hell, they've made no commitments about pricing structure so they could hypothetically have new really powerful classes be $10 a pop or 30k tokens instead of keeping with the current model, and that would drive people away and cause balance issues for the remainder.

Or they could release a few new classes every couple months along with 1-2 new maps, and you could drop five bucks on the class you want (and maybe afford one of them via tokens too) and treat it like DLC with a grind-out option.

I don't know if they've made any statements about the specifics of their plans going forward, but yeah, we'll see.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I don't even see that listed on the class menu.

edit: Nevermind, I see it. This token system is kind of jacked.

Fireye

Teknopathetic said:
The repair tool is only on the Technician class.

Actually, you can pick up a repair tool from inside your base, usually near an inventory station. The Technician comes with an "improved" repair tool, which repairs faster. The downside to picking up the repair tool in-base is that you have to effectively drop one of your weapons to use it.

"Actually, you can pick up a repair tool from inside your base, usually near an inventory station. The Technician comes with an "improved" repair tool, which repairs faster. The downside to picking up the repair tool in-base is that you have to effectively drop one of your weapons to use it."

Oh, the more you know. Shows how often I actually go inside my own base.

Tesseract

Banned
Fireye said:
Actually, you can pick up a repair tool from inside your base, usually near an inventory station. The Technician comes with an "improved" repair tool, which repairs faster. The downside to picking up the repair tool in-base is that you have to effectively drop one of your weapons to use it.

holy crap, really? the more you know, indeed.

Fireye

Here's a handy screenshot of what the box that contains the repair tool looks like. I usually pick up the repair tool as the Soldier Class when playing defense, in place of the crappy pistol.

TribesAscend%202011-11-05%2022-34-37-87.jpg

rexor0717

I'm really on the fence about just doing the VIP thing right now. I want this game all sorts of badly right now. So to clear it up, as a VIP I get the beta right now, and I earn the tokens quicker?

Yo Gotti

Banned
Wow, I just watched that TotalBiscuit video, and I'm so upset that I don't have a gaming PC right now.

Tribes is my favorite multiplayer shooter ever, it looks like they got the formula just right this time after so many failures, after watching a few vids it looks like the dedicated classes will add more variety than the loadouts did, they didn't have as much unique equipment as these classes seem to. For this game to be F2P is just amazing, I'd gladly pay $60 for this.

How many maps are in the beta?

I'm tempted to buy the VIP Starter just so that I know that I have lifetime access to the VIP stuff once I do get around to building a gaming PC.

EviLore said:
Yeah, I unlocked the Pathfinder (light armor flag runner class) and got the first tier energy regeneration unlock for it, and it's quite fast and you spend a whole lot of time off the ground. Mobility on something like the Soldier is good too, considering it's medium armor, and you can get up to similar sorts of speeds skiing under normal circumstances, but it's mainly separated by the significantly faster energy regen on the Pathfinder.

You go squish of course in light armor and have weaker weapons, so medium feels like a good flexible middle ground, but after putting some time into Pathfinder I've been enjoying zipping around.

I think it takes two hits to kill a medium armor using a light spinfusor OR a medium spinfusor, so having a light one is not much of a disadvantage. Faster reload too.

Yup, skiing is the most fun mechanic ever. Having a firefight whilst skiing at high speeds and over hilltops can't be beat

Emitan

That feeling when you're skiing at max speed, shoot a disk a quarter of the way across the map killing the enemy flag carrier, and then returning the flag? Amazing. I'm not very good yet, but when I pull off something cool, it's so rewarding because it wasn't any autoaiming, casual QTE bullshit. I did it. Through skill.

Also, WTF does shazbot mean?

Also, also, add Billychu to your friends list. I hear he's a pretty cool dude.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Yep. Mid-air discing someone is always a beautiful thing. And rushing past someone at 200 mph, hitting them with a disc when they're right in front of you, then snap 180-degree turning and shooting again 500 feet in front of them, turning back around and several seconds later seeing the kill confirmation message...you just can't get that sort of experience in many other places these days.

Fireye

Billychu said:
That feeling when you're skiing at max speed, shoot a disk a quarter of the way across the map killing the enemy flag carrier, and then returning the flag? Amazing. I'm not very good yet, but when I pull off something cool, it's so rewarding because it wasn't any autoaiming, casual QTE bullshit. I did it. Through skill.

Also, WTF does shazbot mean?

Also, also, add Billychu to your friends list. I hear he's a pretty cool dude.

Shazbot is a term that originated with Mork and Mindy (Robin Williams) in the late 70's and early 80's. It's a TV safe version of "FUCK" or "SHIT". Tribes1 came out, and VGS made you exclaim, "SHAZBOT!".

One of my most rewarding experiences in the new Tribes beta has been, someone grabbing the flag on the ice world CTF map, skiing away at high speed. I gave chase, but couldn't quite catch up (I really need to unlock a light class), so I sent one last desperate spinfuzor off, while I could barely see the guy. I must've done some amazing aiming, because about 5s later, the disc hit the flag carrier mid-ski and killed 'em. SO SATISFYING.

Tesseract

Banned
rexor0717 said:
I'm really on the fence about just doing the VIP thing right now. I want this game all sorts of badly right now. So to clear it up, as a VIP I get the beta right now, and I earn the tokens quicker?

beta now, 30 days of faster tokens and xp, and 3000 gold. it's a great deal. dive in.

also, gg tek on whatever the fuck that ice map is called.

rexor0717

So I just decided to make the jump on the VIP. I put in my information, and made the purchase. It takes me to a screen with my account information. So good so far. I download Hi-Command. According to the info on the VIP pack, I should be able to just download the game. Well, it still tells me to enter the key. So I check my email to see if the order went through.No email. A bit worried, I check my bank account to see I've been charged. Of course, Chase is down for maintenance. So now I have no clue if the VIP purchase went through. To make it worse, the site gives me this error now when I try to redo the purchase "We are unable to take orders at this time. " What a terrible purchasing experience. Guess I'll have to wait til tomorrow to play this game.

Emitan

I've added everyone who's posted their name (except you, Tenck. I can't find anyone named Tenckaichi). Add Billychu!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Billychu said:
I've added everyone who's posted their name (except you, Tenck. I can't find anyone named Tenckaichi). Add Billychu!

Added. I said earlier that my name was Stahsky on this, but I actually used my other handle. Didn't even realize I used that one, hah.

Name is: Minlow

Edit: Fuck it, bought the 50 dollar VIP thing. Lets do this.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Oh god how do I play this game?

(I can't seem to log in to their store to preorder the thing)

I'm "Haly".

Liberty4all

Banned
My nick in game is bamelin.

The game definitely feels like tribes, closer to tribes 1 than 2 in terms of the maps so far. The ships facing off map has a distinct broadside feel and the ice map is a ringer for snow-blind.

Love the skiing and they got the feel of the weapons and dueling gameplay mechanics perfffect.

What I dont like:

Mortars need to be more powerful (slightly bigger area of effect would be perfect)

Sniping isn't strong enough (my opinion) ...

The heavy shotgun is pathetic

Hate the lack of being able to customize my loadouts .... Honestly that was a big part of tribes original appeal for me ... Sadly I can't see mods being allowed as the devs only make money if we buy their preset classes. I get why they had to go this route but mods are what made tribes so replayable for years. One can hope map mods will still be allowed.

Would prefer vehicles be free to purchase

Would like to see destructible inventory stations and unlocked loadouts only accessible through inventory stations (make people spawn with a vanilla loadout just like the original tribes)

Overall I'm quibbling abit. I bought the vip pack and dropped another 20 to unlock all the classes. The grind though even with boosters to unlock skills and perks is going to be a bitch.

The gameplay though is tribes through and through ... That alone makes it worth picking up. That and it's still beta so there is time to fix some of the things I don't like.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This game is amazingly accessible. I went from not know how to do anything to making a decent contribution to my team every game in less than a few hours.

Is there any place where I can find out what the weapons do, or another Tribes game with similar weapons and such that I can find videos for? I want a new class but I don't know which is which.

Anilusion

Anybody else unable to play on VIP servers? Or they haven't added that feature yet? Starting to get bored of only playing the same 2 maps for hours and hours.

Fireye

Anilusion said:
Anybody else unable to play on VIP servers? Or they haven't added that feature yet? Starting to get bored of only playing the same 2 maps for hours and hours.

VIP and Private Servers aren't a part of the closed beta. I would expect them to hit with Open Beta, or maybe wait until the final release.

spk

I'd play this without the huge distances/Tribes-movement. But then it wouldn't be a Tribes game :/

RooMHM

EviLore said:
Yep. Mid-air discing someone is always a beautiful thing. And rushing past someone at 200 mph, hitting them with a disc when they're right in front of you, then snap 180-degree turning and shooting again 500 feet in front of them, turning back around and several seconds later seeing the kill confirmation message...you just can't get that sort of experience in many other places these days.
Wowo, careful about what you say, you're talking skills here. I know it's a Tribes thread but you may scare gamers nowadays.

Stahsky

Caved and grabbed the 50 dollar pack. Then had some of the most intense fights I've had in a long time. Even a small 3v3 was intense.

Yeah, Tribes is back and I'm all over it. Skyrim, DoTA 2, and now Tribes.

I don't need anymore games.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
EviLore said:
I had an 'aww yeah' feeling when there was an enemy in my ship. I flew up into the opening, slid through, blew him up in mid ski and flew out.

Stahsky

zoner said:
I had an 'aww yeah' feeling when there was an enemy in my ship. I flew up into the opening, slid through, blew him up in mid ski and flew out.

Too many fuck yeah moments in my recent games. Had a match where I got first blood as me and another light armored zipped by each other, only I hit him in the head with a disc.

I'm far too excited about this week and the state of PC gaming for myself. I need to put this shit down and get my ten pages done on my paper.

Emitan

Stahsky said:
Too many fuck yeah moments in my recent games. Had a match where I got first blood as me and another light armored zipped by each other, only I hit him in the head with a disc.

I'm far too excited about this week and the state of PC gaming for myself. I need to put this shit down and get my ten pages done on my paper.
You have a 10 page paper due? I have a 10 page paper due! Let's not do them and play Tribes! Wait, no, don't listen to me.

Stahsky

Don't do that to me. I WON'T LISTEN TO REASON

I got to finish this paper before skyrim or i'm doomed

edit: I see you on Tribes, Billy. WE HAVE TO LEAVE

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Billychu said:
You have a 10 page paper due? I have a 10 page paper due! Let's not do them and play Tribes! Wait, no, don't listen to me.

I have 10 page paper due in a week. =p

Stahsky

Haaaah, Good game Billy. We both were 6th place on our team! :D

Time for me to stop, though.

I was the one wrecking your generator throughout that whole fight.

Emitan

Stahsky said:
edit: I see you on Tribes, Billy. WE HAVE TO LEAVE
I left. Time to write!

Stahsky said:
Haaaah, Good game Billy. We both were 6th place on our team! :D

Time for me to stop, though.

I was the one wrecking your generator throughout that whole fight.
Nice! I nailed you a few times!

Stahsky

Billychu said:
I left. Time to write!

Nice! I nailed you a few times!

You got me stuck TWICE at the end with your shots. I kept getting nailed behind boxes and I couldn't get out, hahaha.

Top Bottom