• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

Feenix29

I wonder what the percentage of each games sold w/system is.

I swear when GTA3 came out, we sold a shitload of PS2's just with that game alone. This and Halo was the 1st time ive actually witnessed true system sellers when i used to work for a video game store.

Gameboy - Pokemon Red
Gameboy Color - Pokemon Crystal
Gameboy Advance SP - Pokemon Ruby
DS Lite- Pokemon Diamond
PSP - Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (which isn't actually out yet but I bought it a couple of months ago just for it)
PS3 - MGS4 (I actually only got it like six months after the game came out)

Yeah, I love Pokemon. If you take my Pokemon away, I'll fucking kill you.

Melchiah

PS1 - Resident Evil
PS2 - Silent Hill 2
PS3 - Not one, but many

As good videocards cost about the same as consoles:
Radeon 9700 Pro - UT2003

Only time I bought a system for a single game was PS1 for FF7. So worth it, especially after I found Tekken 2, Wipeout XL, etc. Those were the days. :D

Cipherr

Saturn for NiGHTS
N64 for Mario 64
PSX for Bust-A-Groove. No thats not a typo, I fell in love with the game at a TRU demo station at a local mall one day. Grabbed a PSX soon after and got it and parappa I think.

Jive Turkey said:
Nothing. A system needs a decent library before I'll consider a purchase. The closest thing I've done would be buying any Nintendo system for the Nintendo games.
Quoted once more. At least 5-10 games, depending on the price of the system.

JdFoX187

Banned
Playstation 3 for Resistance: Fall of Man.
Wii for Metroid Prime 3: Echoes and Super Mario Galaxy.
Xbox for Halo: Combat Evolved
Gamecube for Metroid Prime

Those are just the consoles in recent years. Bought an Xbox 360 at launch just to have it.

AniHawk

Xbox for Ninja Gaiden

But then I never played Ninja Gaiden, returned it to the store, and played Knights of the Old Republic instead.

Dynamic3

I bought a PS3 (80GB BC) just for COD4. I realize that I could have bought it for 360 or PC, but I had none of the three at the time so I went with the PS3 for BR. I also bought an HDTV for it as well (Samsung LN-T4071F).

I decided to go with the 80GB over the 60GB (which were the same price at the time) because the 80 had 20GBs of extra space and Motorstorm (which I could and did sell), but in retrospect I should have went with the 60GB for the superior BC. I want to get another one for my bedroom setup, and as I am banking on the Slim not having BC (well at least not hardware BC), I will probably end up getting a 60GB in the near future.

Since some of my saves are locked, can I simply swap the HDs as I plan on using the 60Gb as my main?

Edit: I just remembered that I bought a PS2 just for GT3, I bought the bundle in fact.

nyong

Banned
Most people who bought a launch system have done just this. For me, I bought a DSi for Professor Layton.

SNES: Mario World
Gamecube: Resident Evil
PS1: Final Fantasy VII
PS2: Metal Gear Solid 2
Dreamcast: Resident Evil CODE Veronica
Wii: Twilight Princess
Xbox 360: Mass Effect

Let me in

Xbox - Panzer Dragoon Orta
PS3 - LBP
GameCube - SSBM

You could say Zelda really hyped me for Wii, but I'm sure I would have gotten it anyway. And for the aforementioned systems I've found many other enjoyable games.

The Hermit

Mega Drive: Sonic
Super Nes: My father gave it to me and I actually didn't wanted it since I already had a Genesis. The insane library won me over the years while mega drive became just a Sonic player.
N64: Mario 64
Dreamcast: Street Fighter III: 3rd strike
Wii: Wiisports and Legend of Zelda: TP (surprisingly enough, I enjoyed the first much more than the former) + Metroid Prime and a loadcrap of GCN games

OBS: I actually bought RE4 for gamecube a few months after it lauched , but played it in my friends GCN. So it didn't sold any system. :D

mjolnirsbane

Neo Member
NES - Super Mario, I took one look and asked myself why I still had an Atari!
N64 - Rogue Squadron 1 (Cant remember what it was called)
Playstation1 - Warhawk
Dreamcast - Not actually a game but I thought it was awesome you could surf the web on it... ended up loving this super awesome space shooter on there but the name eludes me
OXB - I must admit I bought it because of HALO
Game cube - Rogue Squadron 2

That's where it ended... every other console has been for the love of multiple games. Though if I were to reccomend one game to a 360 guy and he could play online it would be Chromehounds!

Apenheul

I intended to go PS3/Wii this gen, we were going to have all consoles at work anyway so I figured I'd get only two consoles this time, but.. then came Gears of War. Of course I bought more games after GoW (most notably GoW2), but the GoW games get 95% of my time with the system.

Never had any...

SNES from my parents, I have been forced...

N64 because I was a fanatic fanboy...

Gamecube in 2006 because it was too cheap and I had too much money

Wii because of the revolutionizing controls...

Systemseller does not work for me:lol

Bishman

N64 - Goldeneye

GC - Resident Evil Remake

PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2

DS - Phoenix Wright

PSP - Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

Wii - Zelda: Twilight Princess

PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4

Hellion

NES=Mario
Snes= SF2
Genesis=Sonic
PS1=Jet Moto
GB=Pokemon blue :lol
PSP= GT, DMC, GTA, RPG's
PS2=DMC
PS3=MGS4 + GOW
Xbox360=Gears

I bought the...

- SNES just for Donkey Kong Country.

- N64 just for Super Mario 64.

- Gameboy Advance just for Pokemon games.

- PS2 just for Ratchet and Clank

- Original Xbox just for Halo.

- PS3 just for Unreal Tournament 3. (A pretty bad move on my part lol)

- Xbox 360 mainly for future Halo games.

Each system has provided much more than I initially thought they would though.. so overall each system exceed my expectations. :)

Booshka

PS1-Twisted Metal 2
PS2-Grand Theft Auto 3 and GT3 (but mainly GTA3)
Xbox-I wonder which game....... yea that one Halo 1
Xbox 360-Oblivion

ttplayer

Neo Member
GCN for Meele (I latered got some other games that I truly enjoyed and rented the hell out of others)
Wii for Brawl (I actually brought Super Paper Mario and SMG before it actually came out but that was my main intention in the first place. Now I dont really play my Wii anymore due to Brawl's online and 2008's E3 and holiday season for NIntendo just put me down too much)
360 for Halo 3 (I was already playing it on my step bros 360 but once me and my brothers got our own we were able to take it to our main house and get on XBL. I later got a ton of games for it during 2008 holiday season but it just recently got its first RRoD) :\

stupei

This thread is less "when has one game sold you on an entire system" and more "well, this game was the breaking point," but there is actually one single time where I bought a system solely for one game and that's the PSP I purchased a couple months ago to play Persona.

I got Final Fantasy Tactics, Jeanne d'Arc, DJ Max (both Fever and Clazziquai), and Patapon in the meantime, but Persona could be the only game on the system and I still would have bit.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I bought a PS2 for Eyetoy Groove (seriously).

I bought a Wii for Wii Sports.

I bought a Gamecube for Pikmin.

I bought an Amiga CD32 for Simon the Sorceror.

On the flip side, I bought a PAL launch 360 and it didn't even occur to me until I went to pick it up that I had no idea what game(s) I wanted or should buy for it.

-Genesis was a bday gift, came with SoR2
-GameGear, same deal but with Xmen
-PlayStation for Twisted Metal 2 (had no idea what games were out for it really, and my second game was RE)
-Got my own PC for Quake 3, Half-Life, and Red Alert 1 (RA2 came out shortly after- no brainer)
-was waaaaaaaaaaaaay LTTP with PS2 in a sense, didn't get one till mid-2003, random bunch of used games until i figured out what to get
-PSP because of the handful of console franchises putting their stuff out there
-DS for Animal Crossing and Clubhouse Games (shut up that game is gnarly dude)
-PS3 for Resistance and a few others, mostly things just on the horizon and for all of the usual Sony franchises fated to make the transition
EDIT:
-oops, Wii for the fact that my gf didn't like games and i loved her very much

Nessus

PS2 for Devil May Cry. After I saw DMC I HAD to get a PS2. Silent Hill 2 helped.

And I'm about to get a 360 for Shadow Complex and the Perfect Dark port makes the decision easier (finally be able to play PD with a decent framerate!). Also wouldn't mind finally being able to play Halo 3 (single player, don't care about the multiplayer).

EXGN

I wouldn't say I bought a PS3 specifically for MGS4, as there were a number of titles that piqued my interest(Heavy Rain/Trico, namely), but I got it day and date when MGS4 came out.

Also, I bought a GameBoy for Pokemon, and those are the only games I have on it. Also, I bought a GBA for Golden Sun, later got Advance Wars, and those are the only 2 games I have for it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
First system I ever actually asked for was Sega Saturn for Nights. Next was PS for FF7. Finally N64 for Mario 64. Man that was the golden age of mascot characters.. N64 was the last system I bought until 2006 when I got a PS2 for FF12 (and to finally play 10). Bought my J-Wii last year for Twilight Princess and Galaxy, and bought my J-PS3 for Valkyria Chronicles (I ended up buying the J and USA version).

lolmark

I bought a Xbox for Shenmue 2. It was a bummer at the time, but the Dreamcast was already a defunct system.

Interestingly enough, at the time of the purchase, Microsoft was bundling the system with Jet Set Radio Future and Sega GT.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
A PS3 for GT5. Just sold it a couple days ago.

The current gen systems I bought for multiple titles, but last gen I had my 'system sellers':

PS2: Tekken Tag Tournament
Gamecube: Resident Evil Remake
Xbox: Dead or Alive 3

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Good for you /sarcasm.
It's not quite as bad as it sounds. I sold it for more than it will probably cost to rebuy it, (don't give a shit about BC) and the next one won't double as a space heater.

hatchx

Banned
Definitely Super Mario 64.

I was still sucking in Donkey Kong Country 3 and Super Mario World 2 when the PSX/Saturn/N64 thing happened. Crash Bandicoot on PSX was pretty awesome, but one minute with Mario 64 at a Wal-Mart kiosk completely sold me.

Man, my jaw really dropped. I couldn't believe it was really 3D. I could go anywhere, I could jump off the draw-bridge into the water, climb trees, do triple jumps! I don't think anything will ever impress me as much as my first time playing Mario 64.

PS2 for FFX. I was a die hard nintendo fan ever since i started gaming and getting a ps2 made me feel dirty. Like a traitor. Glad i passed that phase early. I would have missed out on a ton of games if i didnt.

Hiltz

NES - Super Mario Brothers

SNES - Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

N64 - Starfox 64

GC - Super Smash Brothers Melee

GB Pocket - Pokemon Blue

GBA - Advance Wars

DS - Planet Puzzle League

Wii - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Top Bottom