• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

PS2: Gran Turismo 3
XBOX: Ninja Gaiden
GameCube: Mario Sunshine
Wii: Twilight Princess
360: Dead Rising
PS3: MGS4
GBA: Dr. Mario
DS: Brain Age :lol
PSP: Patapon
Upgraded my PC for: Wing Commander 3, Half Life 2 and I think Space Quest 3 or 4.

Haven't seen the killer app for DSi or iPhone yet.

weeman_com

Neo Member
the only console i bought for a game was the 360 Elite for GTAIV

every other system i have were all bought because i wanted them

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I bought a PS3 because of MGS4. Not so much because I thought the game would be unbelievably awesome or anything, but because I just had to know how the story ended at that point, and I knew it wasn't coming to the 360 soon if ever.
Pretty much exactly this.

Smokey

I truly bought my PS3 for MGS4. Fuck Killzone and all that other shit, I got my PS3 in December of 2006 because of those two games.

I also bought a used PSP for God of War: Chains of Olympus and sold it once I beat the game.

I bought my 360 for Halo 3.

I bought my Wii for Super Mario Galaxy and haven't really touched it since. It will shake off it's dust once SMG2 hits.

Esperado

I don't think I've ever purchased a system for just one game. Well, nevermind.

N64 - Super Mario 64

Other than that I got:

PS1: FFVII, Crash Bandicoot, Tony Hawk.
PS2: SSX, Madden, Tekken Tag, Dynasty Warriors, 300mhz Emotion Engine that launches missiles from Iraq, DVD, and aesthetically appealing design.
GC: Rogue Squadron and Smash Bros.
Xbox: Project Ego, Halo, Jet Set Radio, Morrowind, Mech Assault, and Unreal Championship.
Xbox 360: Microsoft Marketing hype, Perfect Dark Zero reloading with the sun shining off the gun, next generation graphics, Call of Duty, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and Halo 3.
Wii: Twilight Princess, Wii Sports, motion control.
PS3: Hearing about betas for games like Warhawk/Home, Calling all Cars, Little Big Planet GDC conference, Home GDC, Resistance, Motorstorm, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, FFXIII, Virtua Fighter 5, and the quality of PSN games like Gripshift/Tekken/etc.

Tellaerin

Sega Genesis for Thunderforce II

Super NES for 'Final Fantasy II' (bka FF IV :p)

N64 for LoZ: OoT

Gamecube for Tales of Symphonia (big Tales series fan here)

Cday

Banned
N64 - Banjo Kazooie
PS1 - Bought it for the hell of it.
Gamecube - Windwaker/Twin Snakes
Xbox - Halo
360 - GRAW

Nafai1123

Banned
Popstar said:
Xbox 360 for Braid

and a Radeon 3870 and a new power supply for Half-Life 2 ep 1 / ep 2 / Portal if you want to count that.

You didn't realize Braid was coming to the PC?

Personally, I've never bought a system for ONE game. I've bought systems for the promise of quality libraries that can't be found anywhere else.

PS1: I can't remember why I bought this, maybe FFVII
PS2: FFX
PS3: FFXIII, FF Versus XIII
N64: Mario 64, GoldenEye
Game Cube: SSBM

jibblypop

Banned
I bought a Genesis only for this game:

General_Chaos_cover.jpg

Some system purchases were driven more by one game than most, but there are always others that helped push the sale. Examples:

-- Einhander led to Playstation (with FFT and GT1 added)
-- PGR1 led to Xbox at launch (plus upcoming JSRF and a little game called Halo)
-- Mario 64 led to N64 at launch (Wave Race ended up my primary)
-- Blazing Lazers made TG-16 happen (with Military Madness)

Almak

Bought a DS Lite for Korg (which I ended up not getting :lol )
Bought my 360 at launch, just cause I thought it was about time to hop on the console train again (PGR3 was nice though).

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
NES - first system I owned, I guess Mario 1, parents bought it for me, I knew nothing about video games at that time
SNES - Final Fantasy IV
N64 - didn't really have this system till really late in the game, OOT or original Smash would have probably been a system seller for me
GCN - Super Smash Bros Melee
Wii - Super Smash Bros Brawl
GB - Final Fantasy Legend
GBA - Golden Sun
DS - Final Fantasy III
Master System - Phantasy Star
Genesis - Phantasy Star 2 and 3
Saturn - Radiant Silvergun
Dreamcast - Skies of Arcadia (then known as "Project Ares")
Game Gear - brother got this, I don't know what for
Turbo Duo - Ys Book 1 and 2 (waaaay after the system was released)
PS1 - Final Fantasy VII
PS2 - Final Fantasy X
PS2 JP - ESPGaluda
PS3 - MGS4
PSP - Lumines
Xbox - Fable (lol)
Xbox 360 - Blue Dragon

Tadale

I got the original Xbox for Xbox Live (which wasn't even out at the time). Halo was just kind of a bonus.

Oh, and I got an Nintendo 64 for Super Mario 64, and for Earthbound 64.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I bought an Xbox for Halo.
That's really about it though.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Xbox for JSRF. Did not care about any other game out for the system at that time, all I cared about was getting my hands on JSRF.

Same thing with the 360 and Mass Effect.

I bought an American N64 (in addition to my UK one) just to play Super Smash Bros. At the time, it wasn't even known if it would come out in the UK at all.

I also bought a PS2 just to play We Love Katamari (the original was never released here). That said, by that time, PS2's were pretty cheap.

That's it, though I bought two Gamecubes and two Wiis so I could play games earlier. Nintendo are absolutely awful at releasing games simultaneously worldwide.

Max

I am not Max
I did a trade with my friend for a PS2, just to play Shadow of the Colossus.

Seeing myself buying a PS3 for The Last Guardian :lol

I bought an American N64 (in addition to my UK one) just to play Super Smash Bros. At the time, it wasn't even known if it would come out in the UK at all.

I also bought a PS2 just to play We Love Katamari (the original was never released here). That said, by that time, PS2's were pretty cheap.

That's it, though I bought two Gamecubes and two Wiis so I could play games earlier. Nintendo are absolutely awful at releasing games simultaneously worldwide.

There have been cases where I've bought a system that had only one game I wanted for it at launch, but I knew that in the future, there would be more games I'd want. So they don't really count.

Sanchito

I always get Nintendo sysetms for Mario and Zelda.. but for the SNES, I used to go play Star Fox at the local Wal-Mart so much till I bought it before I got my SNES. :lol I finally got a SNES not too much later.

I got my Genesis for Sonic. PS1 because it had awesome games coming out for it (FFVII) I got Wild Arms thinking it was the most awesome thing ever.. after FFVII came out, I never went back and finished it!

PS2 for GTA3 and Metal Gear.. Xbox360 for Gears of War. PS3 for Metal Gear and the fact that they always have awesome games.

Didn't have any specific games I wanted for my handhelds.

N64 for Super Mario 64
Xbox for Halo (except Halo wasn't my first game)
Xbox 360 for Halo 3 (except Halo 3 wasn't my first game)
Wii for Twilight Princess
DS for Elite Beat Agents. <3

I just had the intention of Halo'ing it up. :(

Skullomatic

Neo Member
Mega Drive: Comix Zone (oh man, it was awesome! still is)

XBox: Buffy The Vampire Slayer (I prefer the sequel, Chaos Bleeds >_> )

GameCube: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (not quite as good as the original, but still quite entertaining)

XBox 360: Gears of War (I actually bought the console about a year before the release, but the first trailer of this game was what convinced me to get one - when I finally got the game, I was NOT disappointed. Only ever played the co-op, though, canät get into it playing solo)

Wii: Wii Sports (>_> and a little bit SMG)

the PlayStations have just sorta been a mandatory, since most of my fave series have been on those consoles - there wasn't really a single game that convinced me to get a PlayStation (though Disgaea 3, MGS4 and Tekken 6 (when it was exclusive) helped push me into buying a PS3, but it was only a tiny push)

EDIT:
oh, and a PSP for Lumines and a DS for Dawn of Sorrow/Portrait of Ruin/Order of Ecclesia

DJ_Lae

Gamecube for Smash Bros Melee. All of the other consoles I purchased were for a host of games, with none of them standing out from the others.

But the Gamecube...I was in res and we all really wanted to play a new version of Smash Bros, so I bought the Gamecube and Melee, and three other people bought me controllers knowing they'd get to play too.

Oh, how many hours we didn't study for midterms...

feel

Xbox: Halo CE

A game hasn't blown my mind at a store display as much as this one did back then.

Also bought a Cube just for RE4.

Bizzyb

Banned
  • To this day I only own one game on PS3. Go on, Take a guess
  • I bought my 360 primarily for GTA4. In fact I use to call it my GTA4 playing machine, really. Although since then I have purchased and enjoyed many other games on the system.
  • I bought my Wii for Twilight Princess but I also knew there would be many other AAA efforts from Nintendo's 1st party line up

I bought a PS1 for Resident Evil. Back in 97 a friend lent me his PlayStation with RE, Tekken, C&C ... and when I played Resident Evil I fell in love with the game. I was impressed by the graphics, sound, the atmosphere, the handling(yeah I know lot of people hates old RE handling) and the cinematic experience.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Genesis for Sonic the Hedgehog
N64 for StarFox 64
GameBoy Color for Pokémon Silver
GameCube for Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii for Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Dreamcast for Soul Calibur (but I just bought it last month, does that count?)

I got a 360 late in its life after having played most of its best games on friends' 360s, but it's nice to have my own now. If anything, I most wanted it to play Gears of War 1 and 2 on.

I got a PS2 late in its life so I could finally play MGS 2 and 3, among various other PS2-exclusive games.

I got the DS for the potential I saw in it, and because the Metroid Prime Hunters demo was really cool.

I was given a Sega CD several years ago by a friend along with several of his games because I really wanted one and it was difficult to find outside of eBay.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Never bought a system for a game. The hardware is far more important to me then the games for some strange reason.

JSnake

GameCube - Super Smash Bros. Melee
PS2 - Kingdom Hearts
PS3 - KILLZONE 2 pushed me over the edge, but I wouldn't have gotten the system without all the other cool games
Xbox 360 - Halo 3

vesp

N64 for mario64
second 360 for gears coop with the lady.
Genesis for sonic
Second dreamcast for pso with the lady.

pretty much every other console for the awesome "I'm a consumer whore" series.

I finally cracked and bought an N64 for WCW/nWo Revenge around late '98.

I had access to a friend's N64 so I could play anything I wanted so I held out from buying one, but the addiction I had to WCW/nWo was sick.

Top Bottom