• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: I can be more presidential than any president, except Abraham Lincoln

Guy.brush

Does really paint the impression he is firming up his base for war.

Yup think he will not bow to whatever Mueller's findings are. He is basically dropping fuel into the fire that steadily grew over the last decades and that he fanned up like a madman for his campaign. Civil War 2.0

And Putin and his geopolitics 101 are chuckling sovietly all the way to the Russian bank.

Ithil

Trump on literally any subject ever:

I have the most thing of anyone. No one is more thing than me. No one has done more thing than I have. I am the most thing of anyone in the world. Many people are saying I have more thing than anyone they've known. I have the most tremendous thing. No one knows more about thing than I do.

Is mentioning Abraham Lincoln supposed to give his statement more credibility? Does he think it would be less believable if he just outright said that no one could be more presidential than him?

Or is he trying to make sure that everyone knows that he knows who Abraham Lincoln is and that Abe we was the first of the vastly different Republican party?

Edit:
*if he doesnt change the rules and run for a 3rd term.

It's up to us to change congress next year.

This interview says otherwise:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/insider/the-new-presidential-interview.html

Mr. Trump is a news machine. He generates headlines every time he speaks. He has made the White House press corps a growth industry. With other presidents, we sometimes struggled to find nuggets of news in an interview; with Mr. Trump we were overwhelmed. After the session on Wednesday, I have now interviewed seven presidents — some in office, some after they left — and with Mr. Trump the experience is strikingly different in almost every respect.

Bill Clinton was discursive, ranging widely over a variety of topics and citing at length arguments, anecdotes or pieces of information that had recently fascinated him, whether or not they related to the day’s news. He read voraciously and usually had a lot on his mind. These interviews were invariably compelling but not necessarily newsy, and pinning him down on questions was a challenge.

George W. Bush was more reflective, thoughtful and informed than he was given credit for but highly disciplined about sticking to the message he wanted to impart. He gave interviews when he had a point to make. The trick was crafting a question that would surprise him and get him off script to say what he really thought about something.

Barack Obama enjoyed the give and take of an interview, but there was more give than take. He preferred professorial answers, speaking in full paragraphs. He was smart, logical and impressive. But reporters with long lists of questions watched the clock tick and strained to politely interrupt the world’s most powerful person in order to get to more than just a few of them.

None of these men came close to Mr. Trump in his capacity to provoke. A product of the New York tabloid world, Mr. Trump has an unerring instinct for saying things that will produce gasps. An aide may try to steer him away from perilous topics or suggest that something be said off the record, but he usually plows forward anyway. Indeed, while other presidents are routinely joined by multiple advisers and an official stenographer for such interviews, just one aide was present at ours.

Mahonay

Banned
It's getting to the point I honestly hopes he dies. But only after he's dragged through a trial and found guilty of treason and obstruction of justice.

The fucking gull of this man. Just, Jesus Christ. What an awful person.

Unit 33

Why refer to him as 'the late' Lincoln.

Isn't that kinda language mostly used for those that have recently died?

Yes of all the things he said, I take issue with this.

GamerSoul

f00.jpg

This works on so many levels.

Raven117

What do Americans mean with 'being presidential?'

Pretty much any President other than Trump at this point.

How is this man happening.

I think this is an exceedingly interesting question (though I'm not sure you meant it how I took it).

How is this happening? What happened to the American electorate, political parties, culture, pop-culture, communication, economics, that allowed for person...of all people...to be elected President?

We are all at fault, not just the toothless rednecks... I've been searching for an answer to this question since election day, and cannot find anything that is even close to a full answer.

All I know is this...he is a direct result of America failing to reach for greatness.

Mahonay

Banned
Why refer to him as 'the late' Lincoln.

Isn't that kinda language mostly used for those that have recently died?

Yes of all the things he said, I take issue with this.
It's because he has no idea what the fuck he's talking about and is 100 percent just saying random bullshit like he always does.
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/890345915663486977

How to be presidential. Make fake comparisons to real historical legislation.
This motherfucker Scaramucci
K1YlLnR.jpg

Shadybiz

I think it would be funny if a reporter asked him to name as many presidents as he could. ...I wonder how many he'd get.

What do Americans mean with 'being presidential?'

"Presentable", basically. Even for as much of a mess as his administration was, for example, Bush Jr. was able to go out in public without completely humiliating himself and the country on a consistent basis.

You can have your gaffes, you can have your bad days, but if just as a baseline you can't fucking meet with another head of state without making everyone in the country look like an idiot, you aren't "presidential".

I mean, that's the whole point of electing a figurehead to represent us.

SoulUnison

Banned
Things that a person could do or say once that would cause me to despise them Trump somehow manages to do almost every day.

Majine

Banned
I am surprised he put himself below someone else. It's like his first class in being humble and he cobbled something together to hand in to the teacher.

Top Bottom