• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

linkboy

Its like the first amendment means something completely different to him...

If the fucking circus peanut* in office could get away with it, he'd removed the entire Bill of Rights, minus the 2nd Amendment.

*From now on, I'm addressing the thing currently residing into the office of the presidency as a circus peanut. They both have a lot in common, they're both orange, old, wrinkly, full of puffed up air and look like a piece of shit.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos
Pro-tip: Then they are idiots because it's by definition a statement that includes every single white person on earth yes, you as well. You have people in this thread that call you an "alleged" ally because of your skin color. If you're cool with that, good for you. I wouldn't be, I have too much self respect for shit like that.
Again, I agree with the general point. but "White people" doesn't mean "Majority of white people." It never does. That's why we have language, to articulate what we mean.

I'm pretty sure you know. It derails the thread though it seems, so I'll stop now. If anybody wants to discsuss any of this I'll gladly do so via PM. Gonna be away for a few hours though.

Derails? I think it's about this. Sure there is a generality when saying white people. Sure it hurts a bit, but the reason it hurts and should hurt is ones part in it. If a white person is part of the problem there going to feel that targeting. American white culture has a culture of blaming black people. Sure, not all. But enough do that it's become a facet of our culture (strong enough to use as a unifying political point) that many subscribe to and most and assuredly too many tolerate.

The majority of my people have weakly defended white supremacists while fervently condemning a meager act of defensive resistance from an athlete during a song. That's what that image is about. It's got a potent point and it's not wrong.

You said "majority". Is that 51% of whites or 99.99%? Would you like to specify?

You referred to this post http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249766134&postcount=371

CrMcGvfWEAAkr1r.jpg:large

Here is your reply to another user referring to the tweet above.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=249769626&postcount=405

This quote is by you...

"When the majority of white people are the ones saying this. Her statement is very valid."

Now if "majority" white people say what the tweet above says they're not racist or they are? I imagine you would agree they are??

You're missing the entire point of my reply to you. I'm saying that there are a shit ton of white people on your side and hate Trump as much as you do.

HTTP3d3dy5hbmltYXRlaXQubmV0L2RhdGEvbWVkaWEvYXByaWwyMDE0LzUyMTg3LVBpY2FyZC1GYWNlcGFsbS1naWYtbnhPTS5naWYlog.gif

Should we go for 66.67%? 52%? Just give us the number you'd feel comfortable with when someone says majority :)

I should not be shocked that this current president said, during a speech, that a black man should go "to another country".

But I still am.

So disgusting.

Add me as another non-white who can't stand "fuck white people" statements. I guess am pretty fragile when negative blanket statements are made about a particular race. It accomplishes nothing and sounds childish.

Slayven

Add me as another non-white who can't stand "fuck white people" statements. I guess am pretty fragile when negative blanket statements are made about a particular race. It accomplishes nothing and sounds childish.

Incredible how people don't have a problem with Asians who resell these products in Asia for a steep markup, but scalpers who simply want to make a quick buck are "scum of the earth". The double standards of gamers is astounding.

Hmmmm

Bronx-Man

Banned
Richard Sherman
@RSherman_25

The behavior of the President is unacceptable and needs to be addressed. If you do not Condemn this divisive Rhetoric you are Condoning it!!
I really hope we see players do something about this tomorrow.

midramble

If you're trying to make a point, make it. Taking a post out of context doesn't demonstrate anything.

Not being taken out of context. The original context is readily apparent. It just has an additional context now.

If you don't see the point, it's because you don't want to.

Not being taken out of context. The original context is readily apparent. It just has an additional context now.

If you don't see the point, it's because you don't want to.

Of course it's out of context. I was pointing out the double standard that gamers have against scalpers. If you had read that thread and actually had that post in context you would have realized I do not think the Asians were doing anything morally wrong as I feel the same way about scalpers and anyone else who buys products to resell them for a markup.

But you'd have to actually put that post in context and it seems like you're content with a cheap drive-by post.

I really hope we see players do something about this tomorrow.

That's the problem. They aren't going to do anything. There should have been a players walkout over Kaepernick in week 1. Unfortunately, the owners will side with Trump. Guys like Sherman, Eric Reid and Michael Bennett will be gone for their actions.

Air

Banned
Of course it's out of context. I was pointing out the double standard that gamers have against scalpers. If you had read that thread and actually had that post in context you would have realized I do not think the Asians were doing anything morally wrong as I feel the same way about scalpers and anyone else who buys products to resell them for a markup.

But you'd have to actually put that post in context and it seems like you're content with a cheap drive-by post.

“The Asians”

J-Rzez

I wonder how many NFL players will take the knee to protest now

The NFL commission must be sweating bullets now. With their ratings and leadership in free fall they can't afford other players doing this because one of the suspected drops is due to these incidents that people don't want to be dealing with politics and everything all the time, especially their downtime. The sports and sports entertainment industry in general are in a frail state, the NFL being in the best shape of the big four.

This wasn't targeting kaepernik. And once again someone mentioning he was blackballed. His actions aren't the key factor, as a Niners fan his actions with a ball in his hands is the key reason. The other didn't help.

Slayven

The NFL commission must be sweating bullets now. With their ratings and leadership in free fall they can't afford other players doing this because one of the suspected drops is due to these incidents that people don't want to be dealing with politics and everything all the time, especially their downtime. The sports and sports entertainment industry in general are in a frail state, the NFL being in the best shape of the big four.

Nope, it's the garbage games, redzone, games too expensive, and people caring more about fantasy.

People wouldn't even notice the kneeling if it wasn't pointed out

Re-read your post here about blanket statements on race, and then your post about Asians. You are a hypocrite.

Absolutely not as I already stated that I was arguing that the Asians that were described in that thread were not doing anything wrong. Their nationality/race was not important in my statement, I merely used it to specify that I was speaking about the Asians being described in the OP.

”The Asians"

Well yes, I am referring to the Asians in which the thread was describing. Those Asians. The Asians pertinent to the thread. Are you trying to say referring to people as Asian is wrong?

Blanket statements man blanket statments

I was not making a blanket statement jesus christ. How about you read the actual thread in which I made that statement and actually put my post in context?

Slayven

Absolutely not as I already stated that I was arguing that the Asians that were described in that thread were not doing anything wrong. Their nationality/race was not important in my statement, I merely used it to specify that I was speaking about the Asians being described in the OP.

Well yes, I am referring to the Asians in which the thread was describing. Those Asians. The Asians pertinent to the thread. Are you trying to say referring to people as Asian is wrong?

I was not making a blanket statement jesus christ. How about you read the actual thread in which I made that statement and actually put my post in context?

My irony meter just blew up

Wamb0wneD

Derails? I think it's about this. Sure there is a generality when saying white people. Sure it hurts a bit, but the reason it hurts and should hurt is ones part in it. If a white person is part of the problem there going to feel that targeting. American white culture has a culture of blaming black people. Sure, not all. But enough do that it's become a facet of our culture (strong enough to use as a unifying political point) that many subscribe to and most and assuredly too many tolerate.

The majority of my people have weakly defended white supremacists while fervently condemning a meager act of defensive resistance from an athlete during a song. That's what that image is about. It's got a potent point and it's not wrong.

Still have a bit of time, thanks for the level headed response. I don't see why it should hurt (kind of a strong word but I get it) for people who never have done anything wrong when it comes to these issues, think that people of color have every right to protest and think that Trump is a repulsive racist POS, do protests with others, do whatever to fight racism just because they are born with a certain skin color.

Yes I realize that black people had it way worse for centuries and still have, and that this point we're discussing right now is kinda moot compared to the issues PoC face or this very thread is about (Thats why I thought it's rather derailing.) And that some white people not wanting to get lumped together with the racists and moderates who complain about Kaepernick is not on the same level as Kaepernick facing all this BS... But I still believe that this rethoric of "white people" is wrong and is more destructive than constructive. If I'm fragile because I think that then so be it.

It's like Germany in that regard. Yes, every german sould be aware of what has been comitted back then and should do his part that it doesn't happen again, but that doesn't mean they should feel guilty about it.
Maybe that's where the difference lies since in America there is no such thing as a general awareness of the time of slavery, not amongst most white people that is, so that's probably where the different point of views come into play. Maybe I should've posted you that as a PM lol. Really have to go now though.
Again, would gladly discuss anything regarding this via PM.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's definitely the garbage games. There's maybe 10 teams in the league tops with above-average offenses and even decent-to-good QBs are playing sloppier than ever. O-linemen are less prepared than ever to play pro coming out of the draft. But yeah, it's definitely Kap's fault and not teams like Indy and the Bengals shitting up the field with 7-3 borefests having whatever scrubs they found to play QB throwing 4 picks in a single half.

My irony meter just blew up

Touche. You managed to take a post out of context, knowing full well I was defending the actions of the Asians in the thread, but I was merely pointing out a double standard. And I'm sure you purposely did this as you must have read that thread to have found that post. You got the reaction from people that you wanted. Congrats.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

GAF barely even has to say anything for people to contradict themselves.

If you're going to make a cheap drive-by post at least read the thread and put my post in context. You guys are clowning around.

midramble

I know that thread. But the point of product markup is a general thing Asians do is a blanket statement as well. If you read my posts earlier I attempt to contribute to the thread by admitting that my people are earning the generality of racism as we are majoraly racist and can even be swayed and unified under a racist political driving point. Saying all generalities are garbage is a throwaway statement that is ignoring the very real fact that the picture mention has a valid point that is being hand waved because of the miniscule point that it says "white people". It's right, it has a point. Sadly even it's generality is accurate.

Is this contributing enough or still a drive by?

Still have a bit of time, thanks for the level headed response. I don't see why it should hurt (kind of a strong word but I get it) for people who never have done anything wrong when it comes to these issues, think that people of color have every right to protest and think that Trump is a repulsive racist POS, do protests with others, do whatever to fight racism just because they are born with a certain skin color.

Yes I realize that black people had it way worse for centuries and still have, and that this point we're discussing right now is kinda moot compared to the issues PoC face or this very thread is about (Thats why I thought it's rather derailing.) And that some white people not wanting to get lumped together with the racists and moderates who complain about Kaepernick is not on the same level as Kaepernick facing all this BS... But I still believe that this rethoric of "white people" is wrong and is more destructive than constructive. If I'm fragile because I think that then so be it.

It's like Germany in that regard. Yes, every german sould be aware of what has been comitted back then and should do his part that it doesn't happen again, but that doesn't mean they should feel guilty about it.
Maybe that's where the difference lies since in America there is no such thing as a general awareness of the time of slavery, not amongst most white people that is, so that's probably where the different point of views come into play. Maybe I should've posted you that as a PM lol. Really have to go now though.

Thanks for the measured response. I agree with you to some point on the specifics of "white people" being a blanket statement that can be damaging. Normally I'm against such statements as the net effect is addition misunderstanding and added resentment. Why I've changed my stance on this is because for white people we refuse to connect our own personal actions with the actions of our culture. We generally imagine only KKK people exercise white privilege. "Those" white people are not "us" white people. Which is generally true but that mentality causes us to forgo any accountability even though we do retain some responsibility. The place we are in our culture, we need reminders of our responsibilities and the repercussions of our actions and inactions. If I see something that is out of bound of being generally accurate of white culture, sure I defend, but generally it's not wrong so it has a place as a necessary statement.

This is embarrassing.

I know that thread. But the point of product markup is a general thing Asians do is a blanket statement as well. If you read my posts earlier I attempt to contribute to the thread by admitting that my people are earning the generality of racism as we are majoraly racist and can even be swayed and unified under a racist political driving point. Saying all generalities are garbage is a throwaway statement that is ignoring the very real fact that the picture mention has a valid point that is being hand waved because of the miniscule point that it says "white people". It's right, it has a point. Sadly even it's generality is accurate.

Is this contributing enough or still a drive by?

Then if you had read the threat you would have known that in that post that I say "the Asians" I was defending their actions. You also would have realized their race is irrelevant to me and I was only using that to specify I was referring to the people the thread was talking about. The Asians that actually do resell the products. But their race is irrelevant to that fact.

Then if you had read the threat you would have known that in that post that I say "the Asians" I was defending their actions. You also would have realized their race is irrelevant to me and I was only using that to specify I was referring to the people the thread was talking about. The Asians that actually do resell the products. But their race is irrelevant to that fact.
oh ok you make total sense now.

"It's OK when I do it."

"It's OK when I do it."

Except I wasn't doing it. Jfc is everyone here unable to put context into a post? I was against racial profiling of Macy's. I was pointing out a double standard. Well done, Slayven. You really butchered my entire point of my posts from that thread.

If you're as mad as you say you are about race generalizations, I hope you start to apply the same social pressure to yourself to change.

I was not generalizing, again. The only reason I said Asians was to specify I was talking about the scalpers from Macy's. Since they were singling out Asians. I was referring to them.

Jebusman

Banned
Except I wasn't doing it. Jfc is everyone here unable to put context into a post? I was against racial profiling of Macy's. I was pointing out a double standard. Well done, Slayven. You really butchered my entire point of my posts from that thread.

Since no one wants to spell it out for you (because it's too funny), the point people are making is that you complained about people making race generalizations, while simultaneously referring constantly to a group called "the Asians", rather than actually specify a specific group (Japanese, Chinese, Korean, etc.).

So you're making race generalizations. That's the point. Even if you're doing it in response to something.

Its just funny.

Nobody cares about your context, just like you didn't care about the context of the tweet and jumped in the thread swinging. See how that feels?

You have spent more time in the thread tone policing than actually being upset about the thread topic. That's part of the problem.

I was not generalizing, again. The only reason I said Asians was to specify I was talking about the scalpers from Macy's. Since they were singling out Asians. I was referring to them.
You posted in there to get mad at GAF for not being as mad at The Asians as they were at scalpers in some other thread. It should not be so surprising to you that through multiple threads now people have criticized your meaning and intent.

Top Bottom