• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TumbleSeed |OT| A Friend in Need is a Seed Indeed

For some reason I thought this was going to be more puzzler than straight up bullet hell-ish arcadey roguelike. I hadnt seen the trailer before.

Think I might have to get this, the aesthetic is lovely and the gameplay sounds surprisingly challenging and complex

Is it a midnight release for PS4?

bosh

For some reason I thought this was going to be more puzzler than straight up bullet hell-ish arcadey roguelike. I hadnt seen the trailer before.

Think I might have to get this, the aesthetic is lovely and the gameplay sounds surprisingly challenging and complex

Is it a midnight release for PS4?

Not sure but my best guess would be no since you can't pre order it on the PSN store. I am guessing it will show up early morning when Sony rolls out the normal Tuesday store update.

Need this on Switch. Why hasn't the store updated yet / why cant i buy it yet?

Will buy again when it shows up on iPad later on. Portable Tumbleseed FTW.

Robin64

I assume the daily challenge scores are seperated by system?

(I'd be hugely surprised if this wasn't the case, but you never know)

Willxc123

So has anyone downloaded this game and have any impressions? Especially for switch with Hd rumble. I'm definitely looking to get this game but I can't find any reviews anywhere.

Played a review copy for Switch. The game is very, very, very challenging, but it's really fun. There are many different seeds that lead to different strategies, and the gameplay itself feels good after some hours (even though it starts to get repetitive). I didn't manage to complete it, actually I barely reached the third phase, but I gave it a quick-edit-whooops (I'll post the review later, sorry)
Also, the HD Rumble is amazing, you can even feel the difference between some seeds (just remember to adjust it in the settings)

So if someone is interested in the game, give it a chance. Just remember that you may spend hours in the first level.

69wpm

Played a review copy for Switch. The game is very, very, very challenging, but it's really fun. There are many different seeds that lead to different strategies, and the gameplay itself feels good after some hours (even though it starts to get repetitive). I didn't manage to complete it, actually I barely reached the third phase[...]

Well, I'm glad I'm not alone. Didn't manage to get further than the third section, it gets crazy there. The game is fun though, I'd love to know what else awaits us later.

bosh

I also only got about halfway through the third section. Trying to formulate a strategy for that area still.

Will be really curious watching others play this game and how they incorporate the different seed's

Wow this game is really hard from the first proper section. Also the flying enemies track you even if you move pass them, so they are off screen.

I'm a little confused to the different seeds and which I should be using at any one time

AEREC

Are the offset analogue sticks an issue on the switch, not really sure they would be but it seems like it would possibly throw someone off a little.

69wpm

Wow this game is really hard from the first proper section. Also the flying enemies track you even if you move pass them, so they are off screen.

I'm a little confused to the different seeds and which I should be using at any one time

I’m usually going all in on hearts and crystals until the third part. You can get there without a scratch most of the time. Stock up on hearts, you’ll need them.

Are the offset analogue sticks an issue on the switch, not really sure they would be but it seems like it would possibly throw someone off a little.

No, not really. Haven’t had any issues.

bosh

You will get used to the first area quickly. Keep doing the quest one of the characters gives you and he will build you into a well balanced player. Now the challenge is the second area on haha...

jariw

Game's out on the EU eShop. Just downloaded it and will play it on my way back home from work.

Really? It seems like Nintendo has a very different strategy for the eShop with the Switch compared to Wii U. Now there are releases on days other than Thursdays.

Robin64

Really? It seems like Nintendo has a very different strategy for the eShop with the Switch compared to Wii U. Now there are releases on days other than Thursdays.

Publishers could always release on whatever day they wanted, you just ran the risk of being missed so many chose not to. Guess with the current thirst for Switch games and no shovelware to compete with, that's much less risky right now.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Destructoïd: 8/10
https://www.destructoid.com/review-tumbleseed-433984.phtml

The Switch version features the perhaps the best use of HD Rumble yet, as you can feel your seed slowly roll from side to side, with the rumble getting strong as the seed gets further to each side. Playing with the JoyCon in portable mode has thus far been my preferred way to play TumbleSeed

Apparently, it's really hard and perfect for 10mn sessions.

Other reviews:
Dualshockers: 8/10
http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/05/02/tumbleseed-review-refined-balancing-act/
The game is as unique and engaging to play as it looks, just be aware of the steep difficulty curve you will most likely run into once you get more serious about passing the starting area. Games this original don't come around to often, but its always a treat when they do.

Nintendoeverything.com:
http://nintendoeverything.com/review-tumbleseed/
In an unusually stellar year of game releases it says a lot that by my own volition, TumbleSeed is the only thing I played for a week. Don't let it fly under your radar.

Pastemagazine.com
https://www.pastemagazine.com/artic...le-tumbleseed-should-turn-down-the-diffi.html
As a skill-based game boasting a simple premise and a bold, appeasing color palette, Tumbleseed is a perfect fit for Nintendo and a smart choice for the early Switch library. I love both the premise and the aesthetic, and appreciate the challenge the game offers. It just needs to adjust the learning curve and make it a little less steep.

bosh

Developers are doing an AmA tomorrow on Reddit on both R/PS4 & R/Nintendo if you have questions on either console (or steam for that matter).

Glix

1. This game is HARD, but in that awesome sort of way.

2. This game has the LEGIT HD rumble implementation.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Downloading now in the US. Just about ready to roll.

jariw

I downloaded the game just to test the HD rumble feature, and it was interesting to test separate joycons, portable mode and Pro Controller.

Separate joycons - the most clear feeling, but it also separates the roll to "left" and "right".

Portable mode - the best representation of rolling, since the HD rumble transfer through the Switch.

Pro Controller - weaker HD rumble, and less clear regarding left/right.

Playing this with joycons seems like the ultimate way to play this game.

AEREC

Definitely has the best implementation of HD rumble yet for me, someone who doesn't really notice it in MK8.

Also really enjoying the aesthetic of this game.

Matbtz

I really wanted that game since I saw the first trailer of it and ... Oh boy that's hard ! I played just 20 to 30min and I suck !

The HD rumble is really nice. I really don't know how to differentiate the "feeling" of different kind of seeds with HD rumble just yet. Maybe with more seeds and hours in I'll notice some changes in the rumble

69wpm

Just a tip: Don't force yourself to play TumbleSeed for hours. It's best played in short bursts. Take a break and come back later.

Nabbed it, yep still plays great. Played in Boston about 2-3 months ago, played great then, nice little tweaks from then. Looks, sounds and plays great. Rolly Spelunky :)

I really wanted that game since I saw the first trailer of it and ... Oh boy that's hard ! I played just 20 to 30min and I suck !

The HD rumble is really nice. I really don't know how to differentiate the "feeling" of different kind of seeds with HD rumble just yet. Maybe with more seeds and hours in I'll notice some changes in the rumble

There are rumble clicks with the octagonal crystal seed as it rolls over one of it's edges. Really neat effect.

I can tell this is going to be a love-hate relationship. I've had a few good runs ended by my right thumb spazzing out, sending me in to an enemy/hole.

Cerium

His/her OTs are going to make me go broke.

Are you doing an OT for NBA Playgrounds, Cerium.

I like the idea since I am in fact a bona fide basketball fan, but I already have OTs for Minecraft and Disgaea lined up so I'm going to take a legitimate break this time. Hopefully someone else steps up.

Just a tip: Don’t force yourself to play TumbleSeed for hours. It’s best played in short bursts. Take a break and come back later.

Thats for any rogue-style though, if you force it, youll get frustrated and do worse. If it gets too much, put it down and play something else, chances are you'll do way better the next time you give it a go. There's always tomorrow ;)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I don't understand why I just lost 3 hearts after falling once.

Shit this game is hard.

Dang it, no official Steam Controller support.
Pretty good game, though, so far. Really tough. Also, loving the aesthetic even more now.

Top Bottom