• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twilight Princess HD officially announced.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I think you forgot something.

40adac3278.png

It will have gameplay improvements too, and some new stuff!

it really amazes me that such a small team can do better than such a huge company.

Wow that's ugly.

Also PS buttons? THat's like heresy and blasphemy rolled into one!

It's a Gamecube game, I doubt they'd remake it. The expectations for this are way too high for whatever return they might get. For N64, you'd basically have to remake that, less so for GC.

I just don't see how you could say it hasn't aged. Wind Waker is a game that hasn't really aged. Obviously they improved it anyways, but the art design holds up extremely well. TP's doesn't at all.

Also, I think it looks fine the way they are doing it. I never expected much from this game though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

40adac3278.png

it really amazes me that such a small team can do better than such a huge company.

I forgot how thoroughly irrational people get about Zelda games, to the point where they'd prop up a hackjob by some random fan as being better than the real deal.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This is exactly what saddens me the most. Why they just didn't waited making a high budget TP remake after Zelda U released is beyond me.

The only reason this HD version exists is because they needed something for early this year. There is no reason to get a TP remake after Zelda U, it doesn't make any commercial sense, unless you're talking about 3 or 4 years after.

But the atmosphere is so half-assed. It has the dire predicament of Majora, but can't commit to it. Everyone is blissfully unaware of their danger, you're set to confront an antagonist who ends up being ineffectual, and then for the finale you're walked through a by-the-numbers final sequence. The problem is that there's no sense of urgency anywhere in this game, and it's all deadened by a pervading brown.

If you apply the same diminishing/cynical filter on any Zelda game. none of them provide any sense of urgency outside the boss battles.

I like the atmosphere, I don't feel like everybody is blissful, but rather everybody is detached because it's hopeless. I felt it a bit like a Dystopia.

40adac3278.png

It's certainly an overhaul but it looks pretty bad. It doesn't look like Twilight Princess and it all just looks inconsistent, I would have a problem if Nintendo sold us that.

Oh lord, that backfired heavily. Lol.

But you can't deny that there is a lot more effort in this. And the recent videos and screenshots are looking much better too. Look it up on YouTube.

The screenshot I posted is quite old.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

40adac3278.png

While I appreciate the effort put in this and some parts look good, the choice of textures and colors and lighting makes it so far away from Zelda TP's theme that I couldn't play it. Maybe it would work on Zelda SS, but not on this one.

Oh lord, that backfired heavily. Lol.

But you can't deny that there is a lot more effort in this. And the recent videos and screenshots are looking much better too. Look it up on YouTube.

I wouldn't say there's more effort, the version we're getting tidies up all the blurriness of the original and the new textures really pop in comparison. Since Twilight Princess's launch people have been complaining about the low res textures, I believe IGN's review said something along the lines of them belonging in the N64 era. Twilight Princess HD looks professionally remastered without really touching the art of the original. There's more detail and it's easier on the eyes.

The example you posted seems like it's been hit with processing effects and has really weird inconsistent textures like the side of the cliff and that odd looking patch of grass, it's a work in progress but I don't think it looks all that impressive.

hqdefault.jpg

It's not mindblowing but it's Twilight Princess and this is about as perfect as it can look.

If you apply the same diminishing/cynical filter on any Zelda game. none of them provide any sense of urgency outside the boss battles.

I like the atmosphere, I don't feel like everybody is blissful, but rather everybody is detached because it's hopeless. I felt it a bit like a Dystopia.

I respectfully disagree. I feel A Link Between Worlds captured everything you just said perfectly, while TP doesn't. In ALBW everyone in Lorule is angry and desperate, with some throwing themselves into cults to try and feel something good about the fact that their world is rotting. Even good intentions are rife with selfishness and an air of "we have to be this way now," a sense of helplessness paired with disdain. It seems genuinely hopeless too, even right to the end when the turn comes. All of this is being conveyed well in a top-down game, but TP for all its technical superiority can't match it.

And that's not even counting something like Majora, that has NPCs cowering in fear, crying, and hurling insults at an apocalypse that's crashing down on them. Even Wind Waker's post-apocalyptic scenario had an undercurrent of sadness and loneliness underneath all of the cheerfulness. Everyone's acting bright and happy and optimistic, but it's clear that it's hard work, with volunteer groups, people trying to reclaim their families, and the Deku Tree trying to reform the land. But in TP, everyone outside Link's little club doesn't seem to mind that their castle is blocked off, or were even aware that they were almost lost to the Twilight. TP introduces some of these concepts, especially in the longer cutscene sequences, but it doesn't move them beyond that. It seems to be purposefully stopping short so that it doesn't get too heavy, which is bizarre in a title that marketed itself as darker and more mature than other Zeldas. It could have gone there, but it doesn't.

Wow that's ugly.

Also PS buttons? THat's like heresy and blasphemy rolled into one!
Better yet, the PS buttons aren't even oriented correctly. Circle is to the right of X and Square to the left, normally, but this has them flipped for some reason (presumably so Circle still closes menus like B does, but still).

HD textures for TP are already going to be a huuuge improvement, since of all the graphical aspects of the original, the textures were the worst. Anything that wasn't the stone texture of a building looked pretty damn bad.

I would love some better lighting though. From the current screenshots, it seems like the remake is missing something.

Mistle

The new textures look fantastic, and the game will clearly be the definitive version, but it's just such a shame they ignored the lighting (or lack thereof). I doubt we'll ever get another TP remake, this is the one, and it had the chance of looking absolutely phenomenal. I'm imaging the TP landscapes and dungeons with even a basic dynamic lighting system, something like WWHD I guess, and it could have been so great.

It's just a shame is all. I'm not angry about it or anything, but thinking about what could have been is very disappointing.

Yrael

The new textures look fantastic, and the game will clearly be the definitive version, but it's just such a shame they ignored the lighting (or lack thereof). I doubt we'll ever get another TP remake, this is the one, and it had the chance of looking absolutely phenomenal. I'm imaging the TP landscapes and dungeons with even a basic dynamic lighting system, something like WWHD I guess, and it could have been so great.

It's just a shame is all. I'm not angry about it or anything, but thinking about what could have been is very disappointing.

Agreed - it looks good, but changing the lighting would have made a world of difference.

HD textures for TP are already going to be a huuuge improvement, since of all the graphical aspects of the original, the textures were the worst. Anything that wasn't the stone texture of a building looked pretty damn bad.

I would love some better lighting though. From the current screenshots, it seems like the remake is missing something.

It is, it's missing their new lighting system. It doesn't matter what the worst offender graphically is, the issue is that TP looked rough because of several reasons. Fixing just one of those is going to make the game look odd. It's going to call attention to whatever aspects they didn't polish.

Those shadows would have done so much for the atmosphere. It would have made the world look less flat and barren.

Exactly how I feel. I wish that they wouldn't do these remasters unless they are ready to do them all the way.

tbd

I just hope they put some actual content between the snow dungeon and the time dungeon, the sky dungeon and the twilight dungeon and the twilight dungeon and the final dungeon. There is absolutely no new content between those while you explore a completely new area before all other dungeons. Apart from that the game is still amazing. Just finished it on Dolphin.

It is, it's missing their new lighting system. It doesn't matter what the worst offender graphically is, the issue is that TP looked rough

No, it looked amazing for its scale. Why do people always spout this shit? Do they just have completely different standards for EAD in general? Have a look at Shadow of the Colossus, it approximately has the same size and doesn't sport half the effects, ran at 14 FPS, is even emptier and has a floating, white texture as flowers. You have a Sonic avatar. All sixth generation Sonic games look like N64 games compared to Twilight Princess, and all they had to deal with was a corridor and a model of a cartoonish, blue something.

wind-1izo7k.gif

Many effects and details are still not even a standard today. Like that wind pushing the grass, that banner in the background, Link's hat and even the clouds in the same direction. Look at the new Tales of and its overworld and have a good laugh.

Everyone already complained that the BLOOOOOM was awful in Wind Waker, so if they're cutting back that should make you all happy no? I also thought TP was one of the games that aged super well. The biggest graphical issue being the muddy textures, which I'm guessing is the main fix for the HD version.

Exactly. It's funny how people now ask for what they criticized WWHD for. "Just the game at 1080p would be so much better" is what you read everywhere.

Someone has to post the Miyamoto meme picture.

they totally ruined the goron mines

You don't even want to see Kakariko or Hyrule Field, or the butchered desert textures.

No idea why people always post this ugly mess. Even vanilla still looks a lot better at 1080p with its shitty textures.

No, it looked amazing for its scale. Why do people always spout this shit? Do they just have completely different standards for EAD in general? Have a look at Shadow of the Colossus, it approximately has the same size and doesn't sport half the effects, ran at 14 FPS, is even emptier and has a floating, white texture as flowers. You have a Sonic avatar. All sixth generation Sonic games look like N64 games compared to Twilight Princess, and all they had to deal with was a corridor and a model of a cartoonish, blue something.

Wow. First off, maybe you misunderstand me. I'm not saying TP looked bad, because you're right, it looked fine at the time for a game of that scale and style. However, there's plenty of areas that it hasn't aged well, and could be upgraded in a remaster. Lighting and texture are the first places that come to mind, so I'm disappointed that they aren't taking the opportunity to make the game look amazing, considering we won't get another remaster of this game for who knows how long.

Secondly, I have no idea what you are talking about with your Sonic nonsense. I'm not sure if you're trying to attack my personal taste or what, but it's pretty desperate sounding.

Edzi

Oh goddamnit. I didn't even realize this was up for preorder and it's no longer available on amazon. I managed to get a preorder in at best buy, but I'd rather get the 20% off for prime members on amazon.

What are the chances of it coming back in stock?

Blues1990

Oh goddamnit. I didn't even realize this was up for preorder and it's no longer available on amazon. I managed to get a preorder in at best buy, but I'd rather get the 20% off for prime members on amazon.

What are the chances of it coming back in stock?

You can always have an email letting you know when it comes back in-stock.

Blues1990

Yeah, signed up for that... But in my experience, those rarely work. Either I never get one, or it gets sent out too late and they're already gone.

Yeah, it can be a tricky thing. At the very least, you can come by a local retailer first thing in the morning and try to pick up a bundle. It worked well for me in the past, so it wouldn't hurt if you give it a shot.

BONKERS

I'm just more disappointed this game doesn't seem to be getting any kind of upgrade that seems to be on level or even par with the amazing job done on TWWHD. (Aside from the questionable SSAO. And I do wish they added a toggle switch to turn off the new effects for those who prefer the vanilla look)

I don't give a shit whether you like TP or not, but there are several ways you can upgrade the visuals to enhance it's look.
Introduce HDR, remove the old bloom effect for a higher quality one of the correct intensity, extend the draw distances in open areas and shadow draw distances. ETc.

All of the fan "HD" projects iv'e seen over the years for Dolphin have all been pretty meh and inconsistent. Especially when it comes to textures.
So at least this official HD version does the textures right. And the recent ones have been the equivalent of a bunch of people adding random PP injector effects without much regard and thought. It's inconsistent and ugly. The extra sharpening makes it worse.

It'll be day 1 for me anyway since even this lower level of extra work compared to TWWHD is way above par for most "HD" ports.

mdtauk

Give me a soundtrack re-recorded with an Orchestra, and a decent lighting engine - then I will be truly happy with this HD release.

Had a dumb idea I thought of for making the beginning of the game much simpler.

An idea for skipping the opening while keeping it believable would be to sleep in.

Since there was 3 days total for this games opening. So having the option to pop up to ignore everyone and go to sleep instead would make skipping the beginning easier.

So you'd ignore Fado after coming back with Rusl skipping the Epona Tutorial and getting introduced to Illia.

The next day is about the Fishing Rod and getting the slingshot.And the kids call to wake you up. So you can sleep in this day as well. And the kids still end up getting the slingshot and Rusl ends up saving the kids.

And the third day would be unskipable since thats when the plot starts to actually happen. And you'd go into town finding out what happened and can collect your items saying they were supposed to give you the fishing rod but didn't see you. And the other mother would give you the slingshot saying those kids were irresponsible with it and give it to you instead along with the bottle saying she doesn't need it anymore. Thus after talking to everyone then you can go to the ranch and continue on. With the game.

And once you turn back into a human you can go get the latern from that guy since you were supposed to when finding Talo. Or Rusl could give it to you. One or the other.

Sounds crazy but most Zelda games do deal with Link sleeping in. But this Link on the other hand doesn't actually sleep in ever. Since it seemed like Link was gonna go to sleep after coming back home with Rusl when Fado comes and hollers for Link.

Would be really cool if they could do something like that to just skip those two days and get right to the game.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It would be great if the shitty item sounds played through the Wiimote if you choose to use it. I find them really charming (but probably because of nostalgia).

Clefargle

40adac3278.png

Remember that this remake isn't done by Nintendo directly, but by another dev Tantalus. I don't know how big their team is but I wouldn't call them "huge" by any stretch. Plus didn't that dolphin game still have frame rate issues?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I just hope they put some actual content between the snow dungeon and the time dungeon, the sky dungeon and the twilight dungeon and the twilight dungeon and the final dungeon. There is absolutely no new content between those while you explore a completely new area before all other dungeons. Apart from that the game is still amazing. Just finished it on Dolphin.

wind-1izo7k.gif

Many effects and details are still not even a standard today. Like that wind pushing the grass, that banner in the background, Link's hat and even the clouds in the same direction. Look at the new Tales of and its overworld and have a good laugh.

Exactly. It's funny how people now ask for what they criticized WWHD for. "Just the game at 1080p would be so much better" is what you read everywhere.

Someone has to post the Miyamoto meme picture.

You don't even want to see Kakariko or Hyrule Field, or the butchered desert textures.

No idea why people always post this ugly mess. Even vanilla still looks a lot better at 1080p with its shitty textures.
Man, TP was one badass gamecube game, I remember when it first came out, it still got a lot of praise for its graphic, I even specifically remember morgan webb from xplay saying it looked better than even a lot of PS360 games at the time(at the time there were still a lot of bad looking games, especially up-ports being released on them)

Top Bottom