• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

wcw

Neo Member
This game has flown under a lot of peoples radar and its going to do well. All console Twisted Metals have sold over a million copies. I think that the game will be the first Twisted Metal since Twisted Metal 2. Its a type of game you don't see anymore and its made by a guy in Jaffe who knows games.

If they get the matchmaking issues fixed, this demo will start to show off a multi-player experience that in my opinion will be the best of the year and maybe of this generation. And if you think that's impossible you never played Twisted Metal 2 or Black with your buddies.

Glad to see its getting a great reception.

dab0ne

Ok well it's nice that they included training but you cant really play single player to get any better because you only get one life and it feels like the bots only go after you ( at least I didn't get any better like this because I kept dying). Learn the buttons then just go online to get better. You are gonna get your butt kicked pretty regularly until you commit a couple hours of playtime. This is the kind of game where you will have to play quite a bit to get used to the controls so feel like you actually stand a chance during the fight. The good thing is that everyone else sucks too, for the most part, but if you decide to wait on this game and pick it up in march, april, or may you will probably get destroyed. If you have plans to get this game then I suggest getting it as soon as possible because the longer you wait the more annoying and frustrating the multiplayer is going to be... initially anyways. With that said, the game is incredibly addicting and totally intense.

Hulud

I fucking love it. Beat one player with Outlaw, vermin, Meat Wagon. I can't do shit with Crimson Fury or Darkside, though. I think they will be more useful in Nuke mode. Although I smiled the first time I heard Rob Zombie while playing, after the 3rd or 4th time I was sick of it and the rest of the shitawful metal in the game. Lucky for me we live in the age of custom soundtracks so I swap it for non-shitawful metal.

tl;dr- Jaffe and the rest of Eat Sleep Play are gods.

Wait the demo has custom soundtrack?

Nah. Outlaw is perfect. Out of the demo vehicles he's my favorite. Course oddly enough I've always like Outlaw in the other games too.

After trying more than half the characters Outlaw was the one I used to finally kill all 6 in challenge mode. I've always liked Outlaw in the past games and I miss Outlaws Tazer. that was always one of my favorite specials but yeah seems like a good balanced character

Helscream

Banned
Well I did notice that the A.I. on the challenge mode is all against you. Maybe that is what ''challenge'' mode is. Pitting you against several A.I. bots against you. Figured they would have just added a FFA deathmatch for the offline and the same for online. Since I can't seem to get online either I will say this.

The animations for each weapon in this game is incredible. Doing a backwards attack with the shotgun on the reaper then watching the ''rotational reload'' is sick. Small details like this really enhance the experience.

So far everything seem's tolerable in terms of difficulty. Playing as reaper though is really a pain when all the A.I. is against you. I am really digging the Turbo Ram feature. Its really useful for a quick boost to get yourself outside the line of fire and break line of sight. Can't freaking waiting for this game to come out. Day 1.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This has to be the slowest demo I have ever downloaded off PSN. I swear.

3 hours and not even 50% done... on a demo, WTF Sony?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Anyone else having problems getting the demo to install? It's stuck at 58% on my screen and hasn't moved for at least 10 minutes. I can't back out of the install, can't shut the PS3 off... worried to hit the power switch in the back, I don't want to corrupt my hard drive.

Edit: Nevermind - after a long ass time it's crept up to 59%. Not sure why it's dragging ass, but I guess it is in fact moving.

I was a run'n gunner too, still trying to wrap my head around these controls. Have to put some more time in it.

Yeah, I don't want to just write it off; but at this point it just annoys me. :\

I will try the third controller option tomorrow; but if it doesn't click this is a definite pass for me. The same reflex I have with fighting games - if I don't have a stick to play it on, I don't play it.

If I can't Run'N Gun then I'll just stick to Starhawk from Sony this year. :\

It would be awesome if ESP could patch RnG back in the damn game.

Bruiserk

This is really overwhelming. I'm really having to work at the controls. Even just charging a missile and turning around gets me flustered sometimes. Maybe this has to do with the AI though, they seem really aggressive.

I got it in about 15 minutes, so PSN is working great!

But yeah, I can't get any MP to work after trying for 20 minutes.

bounchfx

same. it's being uber slow for me too. 1.5 gigs.. that usually takes me about 10 minutes... it's been over 3 hours. 81% now.

Acrylic7

Is anyone else having problems getting into a online match?

Just got done with training to get the controls down, fells good.

wcw

Neo Member
Ok well it's nice that they included training but you cant really play single player to get any better because you only get one life and it feels like the bots only go after you ( at least I didn't get any better like this because I kept dying). Learn the buttons then just go online to get better. You are gonna get your butt kicked pretty regularly until you commit a couple hours of playtime. This is the kind of game where you will have to play quite a bit to get used to the controls so feel like you actually stand a chance during the fight. The good thing is that everyone else sucks too, for the most part, but if you decide to wait on this game and pick it up in march, april, or may you will probably get destroyed. If you have plans to get this game then I suggest getting it as soon as possible because the longer you wait the more annoying and frustrating the multiplayer is going to be... initially anyways. With that said, the game is incredibly addicting and totally intense.

To be fair in the full game there will be a way to tone down the intense AI. The demo is likely set to Medium or maybe even Hard difficulty. There will at least be an easy or even very easy setting. I think if you can get down the controls with the single player you can parlay those skills into treading water online.

AwShucks

Hm...I'm a TM player since TM1 and I've having trouble with the controls. I play Dual Stick and it just isn't as responsive as TM Black was. I went back to Black just to confirm this and it's incredibly responsive and easy to stop and turn on a dime. It's like pulling down on the right stick acted as a hard brake as well as reverse, instead of just reverse in the new one which seems to make me stop awfully slowly. It's a bit awkward trying to hit O as well, and using the L3 quick turn isn't quite what I want (that's in Black as well).

I'm sure once I get used to either classic or dual stick I'll be fine, though I'm thinking I should try racing style as well just so I can find out what's best.

Also, JESUS CHRIST at the AI. I do so much damage but they all just gang up on me. Doesn't help that I'm so focused on the controls of course. Oh and I am playing as Grimm. That surely doesn't help.

Lastly, the machine guns and weapons are swapped from Black. I forgot to look to see if there was an option in the menu to change this though.

Game looks amazing though.

Wow. That was a lot more fun than I thought it was gonna be, And that was just in the Deathmatch mode. Unfortunately, I couldn't play "Nuke" because I just kept getting a matchmaking error. Whatever that is. I really wanted to try that mode out.

Mikey Jr.

So according to Jaffe, this is as good as its going to get for tonight.

So if you cant get into matchmaking, you are SOL.

I cant get into DM or Nuke without getting matchmaking errors.

So fuck this demo for tonight.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Demo was alright....i dont know, it just didnt click with me. Then again, i didnt really care for the earlier Twisted Metal games. I'll see how the reviews pan out.

ElRenoRaven

Demo was alright....i dont know, it just didnt click with me. Then again, i didnt really care for the earlier Twisted Metal games. I'll see how the reviews pan out.

That's all good. If it didn't click it didn't click then it didn't click. Twisted Metal certainly isn't for everyone. Honestly odds are if you didn't much care for the old ones then this one probably won't change your mind.

boosh5

Banned
Wasn't able to get online and playing single player as Reaper (Grimm, my old-school fav) ended badly in a hurry. Looking forward to trying it out again tomorrow assuming the connection issues will be sorted out.

Anyone have trouble inverting the Y axis controls? I set both to invert on the pause menu, but Reaper's alt special's aiming was still regular.

wcw

Neo Member
Yeah, I don't want to just write it off; but at this point it just annoys me. :\

I will try the third controller option tomorrow; but if it doesn't click this is a definite pass for me. The same reflex I have with fighting games - if I don't have a stick to play it on, I don't play it.

If I can't Run'N Gun then I'll just stick to Starhawk from Sony this year. :\

It would be awesome if ESP could patch RnG back in the damn game.

With the default option I really don't have a problem running and gunning. What specifically did you have a problem with? Just curious because other then the sixaxis ram, I thought the controls were pretty tight.

5amshift

Banned
Not liking this at all. The controls and handling feel light as all hell and pressing X fucking whips you out of control pretty much also I'm not sure what button does what which is confusing.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but from the small amount of time I played, I'm 90% guaranteed I'll be waiting until this hits the bargain bin in a couple months to pick up..

Not liking this at all. The controls and handling feel light as all hell and pressing X fucking whips you out of control pretty much also I'm not sure what button does what which is confusing.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but from the small amount of time I played, I'm 90% guaranteed I'll be waiting until this hits the bargain bin in a couple months to pick up..
I don't understand how people are having issues, when there's a training mode that spells everything out, no matter what control configuration you're using. Take 5 or 10 minutes to run through that. The game is easy as hell to control.

Protip: Training mode

Also the tight turn depends on which car you use since each car handles differently. Try one of the heavier vehicles

M.W.

I don't understand how people are having issues, when there's a training mode that spells everything out, no matter what control configuration you're using. Take 5 or 10 minutes to run through that. The game is easy as hell to control.

Yep. Once I finished training, it took about 2 minutes to figure everything out.

So had a fast download (in Japan) and after doing training mode I jumped into my very first match. The controls took a little getting used to with the triggers acting as the Fire and Alt Fire but I managed. Once I got the hang of it though, the game exploded in my face (no pun intended). I was whipping Vermin around so hard taking people out left and right. Wouldn't you know it, I got 1st place in my very first match. I'm loving the graphics, the framerate, everything. Definite day one for me.

Xellos

Demo is great except for the "everybody against player 1" AI. Played for around an hour and not once did the AI cars destroy one of their own. Hope this is not the case in the final game. I get that online multiplayer is probably the major focus, but I still want a decent offline component.

Played for around an hour and not once did the AI cars destroy one of their own. Hope this is not the case in the final game.
Prepare for disappointment. Twisted Metal has always been like this.

I should say, I didn't have fun playing offline at all. But online was fun as hell. That's where this demo (at least) really shines.

Helscream

Banned

Yea it was a bit wonky at first, mainly because I was expecting turbo to be X instead of [ ]. I can't speak for everyone, but it does take a little concentration to hold down multiple buttons simultaneous and execute your idea smoothly. The game is a blast but it is a lot of finger work.

Like Holding down R2 to charge a weapon as well as L2 to keep your machine guns churning. Then holding [ ] and waiting for the weapon to charge then tapping X to spin out then fire your rockets then hit L1+R1 to jump over your opponents car as they come towards you. But HOT damn is this game is pure adrenaline.

I think really the more depth a game has the longer it takes for a player to settle in. Like the power sliding/drifting mechanic was making me overshoot pickups a lot at first but after a hour I have a feel for where my vehicle will go when I power slide.

With the default option I really don't have a problem running and gunning. What specifically did you have a problem with? Just curious because other then the sixaxis ram, I thought the controls were pretty tight.

I'm getting better at it, though I still want to keep hitting x for gas. Kind of wish I could just push forward on the left stick for gas, which would be a little like the old run n gun on TM2.

AwShucks

I went back into training mode to mess with the controls again. It's not TM Black controls but I'm getting more used to them. I'm sticking with Dual Stick (no pun intended) for now, but I may end up switching to classic. I'm starting to be able to do some of the small, precise movements I could do in Black. It's just not the same stick movements to do them.

Still, I'm getting better at killing this freakishly good AI. I'll try online once my wife goes to bed.

EDIT: And oh yea, I did not find the option to switch machine gun and weapons. Bummer.

This game is INSANITY. Fast, tight, TONS of options, and REALLY fun. Complete chaos and seeing 5-10 vehicles FLYING past you with 10+ missiles/weapons flying through the air is a sight to behold. I love how much there is to the map and how the battles flow into every area very naturally.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR RELEASE.

OH, and Classic Controls >>>> all.

OH and that Challenge mode is some ol bowlshyt. I know the AI loved to gang up on you in previous TM's, but gotDAYUM they are relentless in that mode. Hopefully the normal singleplayer matches are more player vs. AI vs. AI

It just didn't feel like how I'm used to playing.

Rather than wait I just tried Race Controls - if you're used to Run'N Gun switch to Race Controls. I just tested Twisted Metal 2 again and then went to NuTM and it felt more natural. Actually felt a little better because TM2 had some loosey goosey controls. Like playing Slip & Slide with a race car. NuTM is much tighter.

Need to dick with it some more. Still not really feeling all that compelled to play, but I can't get online either. :p

Demo is great except for the "everybody against player 1" AI. Played for around an hour and not once did the AI cars destroy one of their own. Hope this is not the case in the final game. I get that online multiplayer is probably the major focus, but I still want a decent offline component.

Meh, I've only played for a few hours and I'm already wishing the AI was more ruthless. I want to take on a 1 vs 16 challange mode. :D

newsguy

Having a gurney bomb chasing me was hilarious. Seeing the sickly old man going 80mph and knowing that he's gonna explode had me on the floor.

AwShucks

Could have sworn that was in one of the control configurations.

Left stick is still just rotating and quick turn with that control scheme. Gas is on right stick, as it should be IMO. Controls w/ dual stick just aren't as quick/responsive as they are in Black/head-on

Top Bottom