• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Ardenyal

Played a couple rounds of deathmatch to get acquainted with the controls. Ended up picking the race control scheme, gas/break on R2/L2 etc., as the others felt so alien (square to accelerate, cross to brake?!). The game play is fast and there's a ton going on but it doesn't feel like a clusterduck as you need to time your attacks or you'll be blowing your load on the walls. Having fun so far, will get back to it :p

Drencrom

Thanks for the heads up, just started my dl. Can't wait!
V4L1G.gif

sn00zer

Played a couple rounds of deathmatch to get acquainted with the controls. Ended up picking the race control scheme, gas/break on R2/L2 etc., as the others felt so alien (square to accelerate, cross to brake?!). The game play is fast and there's a ton going on but it doesn't feel like a clusterduck as you need to time your attacks or you'll be blowing your load on the walls. Having fun so far, will get back to it :p

*backhanded slap across the face*

OLD SCHOOL SON!

*turns and walks away*

I chose the default controls, they are easy to me.

Also there is so much action in this game it borders on exhaustion/fun. Walks the line in a good way.

ScOULaris

I have a 10Mbit connection at home, and this demo is downloading at about 150 kb/s. ಠ_ಠ

I'll never understand how some of you people manage fast download speeds on PSN. Yeah, I use wireless for my PS3's connection, but all of my other wireless devices (laptops/phones) can download at speeds up to 5 mb/s easy. Whenever I need to download anything on my PS3 (e.g. updates, demos, and PSN games), I'm lucky if I get 200 kb/s.

Would switching to a wired connection for my PS3 really make that much of a difference? I don't see how wireless would have an effect on download speeds.

Cudder

I have a 10Mbit connection at home, and this demo is downloading at about 150 kb/s. ಠ_ಠ

I'll never understand how some of you people manage fast download speeds on PSN. Yeah, I use wireless for my PS3's connection, but all of my other wireless devices (laptops/phones) can download at speeds up to 5 mb/s easy.

Would switching to a wired connection for my PS3 really make that much of a difference? I don't see how wireless would have an effect on download speeds.

Wireless is slower?

Mikey Jr.

I do NOT mean this as a negative at all, but I feel like the UI has sucked me back into the 90's, like back to the PS1 days.

The way you highlight something and it bulges, the font. I love it.

mr stroke

Quick first impressions-

-
Single player is bland(demo only of course)
graphics average at best

+
multiplayer is a blast
controls tight just like PS1 days
soundtrack is an awesome mix of metal and gangster rap

Emwitus

I'm loving it so far!!! And the graphics and movement don't give me headaches like most games do these days ( I can't play first person shooters for this reason).

And i like that the Heli can move through narrow hallways on the ground and follow LOL. Good job jaffe. This is old school stuff.

Just won my first match!

I hardly remember anything about Twisted Metal but I like what I've played so far. Stuck with the classic controls which seemed weird at first but I quickly got used to it. Only played one match so far but it was pretty fun. Just pure, fun mayhem. I'm definitely a bit more excited for it that I initially was. I'll be putting some more time into it later.

snap0212

Would switching to a wired connection for my PS3 really make that much of a difference?
I'm on 100Mbps and I get about 1.5MB/second wired. PS3 is in the DMZ, no media server or anything, that's how fast it gets (for me).

XBL is not full-speed (which would be ~12.5MB/second) either. Neither service seems to give me full speed.

AwShucks

I'll never understand how some of you people manage fast download speeds on PSN. Yeah, I use wireless for my PS3's connection, but all of my other wireless devices (laptops/phones) can download at speeds up to 5 mb/s easy. Whenever I need to download anything on my PS3 (e.g. updates, demos, and PSN games), I'm lucky if I get 200 kb/s.

The wireless is atrocious on PS3. My PS3 sits like 5 feet from my router and I get about 5x the speed when I am wired.

It's nuts but it's the truth.

I'm on 100Mbps and I get about 1.5MB/second wired. PS3 is in the DMZ, no media server or anything, that's how fast it gets (for me).

XBL is not full-speed (which would be ~12.5MB/second) either. Both services don't seem to give me full speed.

I have a 50Mbps connection and anything downloaded on 360/PS3 is slow as fuck compared to my PC(s). The built in speed test on PS3 usually caps around 20 or 25 but I have no idea what server is being used for its test. Speedtest.net with a local server usually reports about 46-50+ with around a 10-30 ping. Everything in my network is wired with one access point for iPhones, iPads, Macbooks, and other portable devices.

Zoibie

Decided to go into the offline SP first to get more acquainted with the controls. First two rounds I got pummelled by the AI, 3rd round I started to get my sea legs and managed to clear the map. I know this is an MP focused game, but the depth of the core gameplay in just single player deathmatch alone will probably sustain me for a good long while, at least until I feel confident enough to start playing regularly online (that's not to say that I won't play online, of course.)

@Sullichin yup, shield/freeze is on the directional buttons.

I don't know how to feel about the game. While I know it's solid craftmanship it just doesn't grab me...

This is the type of game that I have to play with some drunk friends because it's just mindless action. I don't get into it the way that I do with more competitive games, but it's still a blast to play.

Irish

Thank goodness.

I'll quote for everyone:

See, the problem with that is that some people like me only enjoy playing online with their GAF buddies and when we can't play together in the demo, it makes the final game a hard purchase to make. Well... actually, the SP should be good enough.

Top Bottom