• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

RagnarokX

My brother just said that Twisted Metal PS3 is a shit rip-off of Vigilante 8, while waiting for Sniper: Ghost Warrior to load up for him to contrinue his second playthrough. Odd, to say the least

Is your brother's only knowledge of Vigilante 8 the digital version and he mistook it for a new game series? Cuz it would be even more odd if he was talking about V8 back when it came out on PS1 cuz TM was still big back then and V8 was obviously a TM ripoff (a really good one).

ElRenoRaven

Is your brother's only knowledge of Vigilante 8 the digital version and he mistook it for a new game? Cuz it would be even more odd if he was talking about V8 back when it came out on PS1 cuz TM was still big back then and V8 was obviously a TM ripoff (a really good one).

Yup. His brother sounds like a moron. Hopefully he smacked him one for being that stupid.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Is your brother's only knowledge of Vigilante 8 the digital version and he mistook it for a new game? Cuz it would be even more odd if he was talking about V8 back when it came out on PS1 cuz TM was still big back then and V8 was obviously a TM ripoff (a really good one).
Vigilante 8 is technically an Interstate 76 spin-off. TM predates both franchises.

I said that Twisted Metal was out way before V8. Then he asked what year the PS1 came out, I said 95 and Twisted Metal was out close to the PS1's release. His rebuttal was that V8 came out in 96, and Second Offense in 98, which is bollocks as V8 came out in 98 by the looks of it. Ah well, not worth arguing over something so pointless. In an effort to prove himself right, he'll no doubt do a bit of research anyway as soon as he's done with the bastion of originality that is Sniper: Ghost Warrior, and discover his mistake :p

RagnarokX

I said that Twisted Metal was out way before V8. Then he asked what year the PS1 came out, I said 95 and Twisted Metal was out close to the PS1's release. His rebuttal was that V8 came out in 96, and Second Offense in 98, which is bollocks as V8 came out in 98 by the looks of it. Ah well, not worth arguing over something so pointless. In an effort to prove himself right, he'll no doubt do a bit of research anyway as soon as he's done with the bastion of originality that is Sniper: Ghost Warrior, and discover his mistake :p

He'll probably come back with "Yeah, but it's still a ripoff of Death Race !!1"

Finally getting into games and having a lot of fun, although a lot of the encounters is me and another enemy circling around each other. The best encounters are multiple people crowding around and ganging up on the first place players haha.

heynow12

Banned
One minor comment I have about this game is that the track list is pretty short. I mean most multi games dont have a soundtrack, and itd be hard to make it like 50 hours in length, but still. Its like 8 or something songs isnt it? Othawise I love everything about it.

These matching problems are killing me, spent an hour trying to get into a game, got into 2 lobbies but both times there were only 3/14 people and after waiting 20 minutes each time no one else came.

On a positive note I think I got my quickest challenge mode victory. 7 minutes with Vermit. Took this photo right before putting the final nail in Darkside.

MyOmd.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
I played some more Nuke and I really like it now. I seem to get put on a lot of teams full of people figuring out the game, because I was the only one launching missiles. This game is really fun though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Finally managed to get into an online match. Came in first for deatmatch and had a blast, won a game of nuke as well but that wasn't as fun to me because of all the talon players. The only way I can seem to hit them is by standing still to aim up, which feels really odd.

ElRenoRaven

Hell that's not even all of them. Later he mentioned that he could swear there was some Zombie in it and hell you can hear a couple Rob Zombie songs in the demo already.

So it has plenty of music.

*Sees Kotaku*

Gee Kotaku trying to create more controversy. Gee who didn't see that coming?

Izick

Just wanted to say that you live up to your avatar tag, you are the fucking man, and I'm glad that you will still be a part of the gaming industry.

I think Twisted Metal is a lot more relevant then people give it credit for.

A friend of mine was talking to my other friend today, and I had no idea he plays video games, never mentioned it once, but anyways, out of the blue he says

"I really need to get a PS3 and get on that Twisted Metal shit, yo."

So, no matter what, you can tell Sony that you sold at least 1 PS3 along with a copy of the game, and I've always thought that was powerful.

If you can sell a 250$ console with the enticement of 1 60$ game...then there's something special there.

Izick

Hell that's not even all of them. Later he mentioned that he could swear there was some Zombie in it and hell you can hear a couple Rob Zombie songs in the demo already.

So it has plenty of music.

*Sees Kotaku*

Gee Kotaku trying to create more controversy. Gee who didn't see that coming?

How the fuck is Kotaku not a banned site here?

All they do is try and stir up controversy out of nothing. They've been horrible with news in the past. See: Resident Evil 6.

That's the whole Gawker motto though, isn't it? If it's not claiming that Jaffe is sexist, then it's a Gawker employee pretending he is a cancer patient who is dying to troll reddit.

Angry Fork

Writing an article on the BJ comment and calling it misogynistic? Goddamn. That is such a non-issue. Why the fuck does everyone get offended by everything now? I would rage about it on kotaku but I'm too lazy to login just to comment.

ElRenoRaven

How the fuck is Kotaku not a banned site here?

All they do is try and stir up controversy out of nothing. They've been horrible with news in the past. See: Resident Evil 6.

That's the whole Gawker motto though, isn't it? If it's not claiming that Jaffe is sexist, then it's a Gawker employee pretending he is a cancer patient who is dying to troll reddit.

To be honest if it wasn't Kotaku it would be someone else. It's like the dumbshit who calls himself a journalist starting this shit by crying to David on twitter that he's a misogynist because he made a crude joke. People are so goddamn thin skinned that you can't make any jokes anymore cause someone somewhere will get their fucking panties in a bunch. Of course no offense to David but he took the bait and engaged the dumbfuck. As a result scumbags gaming press are going to jump on it so that they can promote their agenda while getting hits.

Izick

Writing an article on the BJ comment and calling it misogynistic? Goddamn. That is such a non-issue. Why the fuck does everyone get offended by everything now? I would rage about it on kotaku but I'm too lazy to login just to comment.

I feel bad giving them a hit, wouldn't waste my energy on actually commenting on this, nor should you.

Izick

To be honest if it wasn't Kotaku it would be someone else. It's like the dumbshit who calls himself a journalist starting this shit by crying to David on twitter that he's a misogynist because he made a crude joke. People are so goddamn thin skinned that you can't make any jokes anymore cause someone somewhere will get their fucking panties in a bunch. Of course no offense to David but he took the bait and engaged the dumbfuck. As a result scum are going to jump on it so that they can promote their agenda while getting hits.

I completely 100% agree with this, but besides this bullshit, but it's not like Kotaku is even accurate with their news.

They said that a Capcom Rep. confirmed the FAKE Resident Evil 6 trailer to be true when it wasn't. And they still stick with that story to this day.

I can understand getting excited over something, but blatantly lying about contacting a representative from Capcom? Come on now.

Finally managed to get into an online match. Came in first for deatmatch and had a blast, won a game of nuke as well but that wasn't as fun to me because of all the talon players. The only way I can seem to hit them is by standing still to aim up, which feels really odd.
Free Look 2 (in the control options) allows you to aim up while accelerating.

ElRenoRaven

I completely 100% agree with this, but besides this bullshit, but it's not like Kotaku is even accurate with their news.

They said that a Capcom Rep. confirmed the FAKE Resident Evil 6 trailer to be true when it wasn't. And they still stick with that story to this day.

I can understand getting excited over something, but blatantly lying about contacting a representative from Capcom? Come on now.

Oh I know. I've seen a lot of these sites blatantly lie before and when called on it they just magically ignore that they're being called out for being lying pieces of shit. It's nothing new. I just feel sorry for the few decent people who could actually be called journalists in the videogame field. They get made to look back by all these wannabe tabloid writers.

olimpia84

Played the demo for about 30 minutes after going through the tutorial and I'm ready to delete it. I guess this game didn't do anything at all for me.

Regarding the Kotaku article, Jaffe speaks,

"Dear writer at Kotaku: a) YOU don't get to place stuff you don't like in a sentence and then decide to call it misogynistic. Please leave that to Websters. b) you also really should try to watch the whole interview vs. the small snippet that gametrailers put up. I am NOT saying you will like what I said better or worse BUT at least you would then not make statements about what I said BEFORE of AFTER the clip that they chose to use in their piece. And IF you don't have access to the clip, you should at least- in your reporting- make it clear there MAY have been something before or after given the way the piece was edited (i.e. I didn't just SAY it out of thin air flowing from talking about Sweet Tooth's machine gun mechanic and then transitioning into blow job talk. Finally, YOU are the one who sees sexist content where there was none intended. LETTING someone- ANYONE- win in order to gain favor is not a sexist concept. The reason I was addressing men vs. women was because AT LEAST 95% of our player base for TM is male and I was speaking to my audience. And hell, for all you know, I made a similar statement to the ladies and it was cut out (again, if I was the editor, fine...but I did not edit the clearly edited piece)."

Really don't know why any of us are giving this so much attention, especially considering it's Kotaku. Though Jaffe really should watch what he says more if he's concerned with his and his company and his work's public image. I get that it's all in fun but it seems there's always something he says that pops up on one of these BS articles and nothing any of us or Jaffe says is going to change how these "journalists" report their stories.

Though I really question GT here. If Jaffe said they had an editor for that, why did he/she choose to leave that snippet in there? I thought that was the point of editing?

ElRenoRaven

Regarding the Kotaku article, Jaffe speaks,

"Dear writer at Kotaku: a) YOU don't get to place stuff you don't like in a sentence and then decide to call it misogynistic. Please leave that to Websters. b) you also really should try to watch the whole interview vs. the small snippet that gametrailers put up. I am NOT saying you will like what I said better or worse BUT at least you would then not make statements about what I said BEFORE of AFTER the clip that they chose to use in their piece. And IF you don't have access to the clip, you should at least- in your reporting- make it clear there MAY have been something before or after given the way the piece was edited (i.e. I didn't just SAY it out of thin air flowing from talking about Sweet Tooth's machine gun mechanic and then transitioning into blow job talk. Finally, YOU are the one who sees sexist content where there was none intended. LETTING someone- ANYONE- win in order to gain favor is not a sexist concept. The reason I was addressing men vs. women was because AT LEAST 95% of our player base for TM is male and I was speaking to my audience. And hell, for all you know, I made a similar statement to the ladies and it was cut out (again, if I was the editor, fine...but I did not edit the clearly edited piece)."

Really don't know why any of us are giving this so much attention, especially considering it's Kotaku. Though Jaffe really should watch what he says more if he's concerned with his and his company and his work's public image. I get that it's all in fun but it seems there's always something he says that pops up on one of these BS articles and nothing any of us or Jaffe says is going to change how these "journalists" report their stories.

Though I really question GT here. If Jaffe said they had an editor for that, why did he/she choose to leave that snippet in there? I thought that was the point of editing?

As mentioned hits. Look at what it's done leaving that in there. Their name is all over the place now. It's free publicity. People will of course go there to watch said video. That increases hits and makes them more money. I guarantee you they will respond back to keep it going too.

Izick

Either way, it baffles me that Kotaku wasn't the first on the list when it came to being banned from gaf.

I'm new here, as far ass actually being able to post, but I've been following GAF for a long time, and am I correct in thinking that Kotaku was banned at one point?

ElRenoRaven

Either way, it baffles me that Kotaku wasn't the first on the list when it came to being banned from gaf.

I'm new here, as far ass actually being able to post, but I've been following GAF for a long time, and am I correct in thinking that Kotaku was banned at one point?

Don't think it's ever been. Not that I can remember.

Hey chaps, thought I'd make up a map showing the location of all the pickups. It's by no means complete, and a bit confusing to look at, but maybe it'll help a few people out. I'm gonna try to clean it up and create a few optimal "weapon runs".

click for a larger view.

ElRenoRaven

It used to be banned around 2006, 2007

hmm.Now that you mention it I do recall something back then with it. The things you forget. Probably did cause I've never liked Kotaku myself. I hate when there is something there that I read because I always feel so dirty afterward. Hence i tend to try and avoid it. Sadly once in a blue moon they have something worth reading.

Top Bottom