• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft gave journalists a free Nexus 7 at a Watchdogs Preview event.

Hanmik

So when does Polygon opening a EU office to get in on this sweet swag?

Kotaku just opened a UK site..

nudge.jpg

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
That doesn't matter, companies are apparently trying to cultivate an environment where gaming journalists that are kind to their games can expect to get invited to future company events where gifts are offered.

Oh, don't get me wrong: I don't like the fact. but a "journalist" can't complain if he accepted the gift imho

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
But giving a real smartphone?

Handing out mobile phones is bribery 101.

Did anyone not accept the phone though?

Guys, a Nexus 7 is a tablet, not a phone.

And yes, this does raise serious concerns about how much confidence UbiSoft have in the game. It'd better be good or this will be one of the biggest wasted opportunities in gaming, ever. Such a great concept.

Jb

So they basically gave them $200 just for attending a preview event.
Doesn't sound shady at all.

JABEE

It's not unethical.

It's unethical if they're handed out conditionally on a good review, or if the journo allows it to affect their judgement of the product concerned.

I used to get freebie shit all the time from media owners when I worked as a media planner/buyer - I had trips to grand prix, Ibiza, gadgets, lunches etc - and I'd still not place ads with them if it wasn't appropriate.

So, you're free to accept a bunch of free, expensive shit as long as you're able to rationalize it. You get to keep the free stuff and get wined and dined by the company you're covering as long as you say that you are unable to be swayed by money and gifts.

As long as the person giving the bribe doesn't explicitly ask for a particular outcome of said bribe, it's okay to accept bribes. I don't agree with you. I think you are accepting a bunch of free stuff and allowing yourself to influenced without any kind of accountability. No one is super-human, these items and expensive things are purchased with the sole intent to influence you and it has been proven to work.

kyser73

I'm guessing you're still in school as every career outside of games journalism and politics has a very specific ethics statement that would prevent you from partaking in these sorts of bribes. Good luck!

Yeah, other professions have far more devious ways of grafting.

I'm always amazed at the level of surprise shown about how this stuff happens in consumer journalism.

Lynq

Banned
Swag (cheap or expensive) is always problematic. But, journalists are people and people are different.

I know a guy who is always mega-hyped about every game he can see/play in preview build at some fancy event. I remember playing Battlefield 4 at local EA event for press, he was totally in love with game, despite of many obvious problems it had. I also know journalists who are always cautious and critically disposed to any game, no matter how big event is and how good swag is.

Some sites, like IGN, are all about hype, less about critique. They probably don't even view any gifts as bribes, cause they are always hypying games up anyways. Some sites don't accept gifts at all.

Personally, I don't like taking freebies. Even though I know myself and I know it won't affect my opinion, I always feel weird. But, it's worth noting, that being offered something expensive is ultra-rare. Recently I saw Witcher 3, Titanfall, Thief, Dark Souls 2, The Crew, Murdered and couple of other AAA games from various publishers at preview events. There were t-shirts, maybe a mug here and there, nothing more. I'm surprised to hear about Nexus 7 to be honest :p

ZeroX03

Banned
If giving gifts like this didn't work then they wouldn't be doing it.

On the really young and poor maybe? Guessing that most of the people attending already have (better) tablets.

I'm guessing you're still in school as every career outside of games journalism and politics has a very specific ethics statement that would prevent you from partaking in these sorts of bribes. Good luck!

Entertainment and media industry.

Xis

Playing Devil's Advocate here -

Does Watch Dogs do a lot of second screen stuff? Like is there an Android companion app? Maybe UbiSoft is trying to show this off?

ultron87

Yeah. Didn't they receive free PS4's at some event too? How about free stuff, that uh, buy your games? If anything, DLC should be free up to a certain point in time.

There's a big difference between getting a PS4 pre-release so that you can do your job by providing coverage for people thinking they might want to buy a PS4 and getting a mostly unrelated tablet.

Meh, I don't really care about this stuff much anymore. I usually read reviews for gameplay context rather than their "opinion" anyway. The score is usually the least interesting part.

I say let them have their free shit.

iratA

My very real work place (in a different industry) has a conduct rule against accepting anything more than $50 and all gifts have to be reported. Termination can and will result for failure to comply.

Not sure where you work, but takinging obvious bribes are not perks and create huge conflict of interests. Both within the company and with your clients/customers.

A perk is employee parking, wellness benefits, or company discounts. Not accepting 3rd party gifts to drive some outside interest to your employer.

I'm sorry but its not always as cut and dry as your making it out. Wellness benefits, company discounts etc can all be subsidized by various means. Including external sources outside of the company. The benefits your talking about can also be worth thousands of dollars. Much more than the couple of hundred of dollars we're talking about with the Nexus 7.

Axass

Like others have said, every job has a perk or two. The only people offended by this are the same high schoolers who think there's something fundamentally wrong with "games journalists," you'd have to be pretty young to think a cheap tablet is going to sway any adult with a paying job.

Frankly it's you that seem really naive saying stuff like this. "Bribery" in the industry is a concrete thing, Gerstmann-gate wasn't for nothing. Also you give "journalists" too much credit, they aren't saints, besides there's an unconscious effect attached to the gift, they could alter their opinion without even realizing it.

oti

Banned
At gamescom I got Dragon's Crown as a present from the publisher after the presentation (the game was not out in Europe back then), I gave the copy away.

You could take the phone and still be honest, but the only scores we can basically trust now are the low ones...

Did anyone not accept the phone though?

1. It's a tablet not a phone
2. It's a preview event. Reviews and scores will be a separate event
3. Yes:

OXM - https://twitter.com/dirigiblebill/status/456001819828051968
Eurogamer - https://twitter.com/tombramwell/status/456004899835498496
Videogamer - https://twitter.com/TheSteveBurnio/status/455999217744744448

Freeman

Banned
I would take the tablet and deduce one point in the final score for attempted bribery out of spite. I would take a picture of myself holding the tablet showing 7/10 just to give them nightmares.

Pfft sorry but ^ this is almost laughable. I have friends and family that receive much, much higher value "gifts" in their industries/fields and still need to remain fair and impartial. Most of the time so long as you declare the gifts you are fine.
Well now your previous replies in this thread make much more sense now.

Nugg

It's pretty shady to give out such gifts, but I believe it's even worse to accept them.

"Hey here's a free phone"
"No thank you"

Not that hard.

This is such BS. Impartiality is impossible after a gift like that.

I'm glad I'm not a video game reviewer. Admittedly it'd be hard to turn down a free phone.

Edit:
It's pretty shady to give out such gifts, but I believe it's even worse to accept them.

"Hey here's a free phone"
"No thank you"

Not that hard.
Or maybe not, lol

SimSimIV

What some people seem to confuse here, is the terminology bias and the ability to write a balanced review. If you get something, you WILL be biased. That's how human beings work. You can't just forget a gift you received, but you can be aware of the effect it might have on your cognition. By being aware of your bias, you can make sure to be thorough and still write a balanced and fair review, but it will be harder than if you had no bias in the first place. I guess we just need to have faith in gaming journalists to be aware of their psychology 101;)

I like how people act like this totally obvious, public, and precedented act is some kind of scandal.

Most of these people were going to write 9/10 and 10/10 reviews anyway and the ones who weren't still aren't going to.

akashhhhh

Frankly it's you that seem really naive saying stuff like this. "Bribery" in the industry is a concrete thing, Gerstmann-gate wasn't for nothing. Also you give "journalists" too much credit, they aren't saints, besides there's an unconscious effect attached to the gift, they could alter their opinion without even realizing it.

Yeah, bribery is so rampant and such a problem that Thief metacriticed at 67 and Knack at 54.

...come on people. Show me the problem.

wildfire

Banned
Hmm since The Crew debacle, disappointment in learning about Watch Dog's multiplayer and Ubisoft's unwillingness to have the game playable at PAX even though we are a month away from launch has been decreasing my hype. This just pushes me to wait until my friend buys it and try it out at their place.

Lunar15

We can talk about morality, integrity, and ethics till we're blue in the face, but basically if you're accepting this stuff and then turning around and writing reviews, you look like a fool.

Once you accept a "gift" like this, your opinion is influenced. Even if the influence is you double- and triple-checking yourself to make sure you are "not influenced". You're too close to yourself to know for sure, and regardless, it's something you wouldn't have had to do without the gift.

The effect of something like this can be very subtle but still unavoidable. And I think video games journalism is pretty small potatoes so I'm not losing sleep over this, but in general this is why bribery/"gifts" are frowned upon in every position of influence regardless of industry.

1-It's not the same budget and 2-What's wrong with Watch_Dogs' QA coverage? The game is not out yet, how do you know it's gonna be buggy?

Well it wasn't meant to be taken 100% seriously for starters. Also, going by the fact that their games, at least their large-ambition open-world types are buggy messes... call it a hunch.

Adam Blue

It shouldn't matter if the journalist has integrity. But, it will eventually weed out the ones that don't. Like, how we now have most of them in one place.

On the other hand, with over-inflated budgets, giving out tablets is probably not going to continue happening.

Top Bottom