• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch_Dogs will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on XB1, both at 30fps

Jack cw

Given that TR is a game that wasn't even meant for these consoles, not really, come back to me when a true next-gen game does it.

Edit: People really need to stop using the word hyperbole everytime they don't agree with something.

Look at Infamous. 1080p with either locked 30fps or unlocked 30-45 fps.
As I said, hyperbole. The end.

thelastword

Banned
From a spanish web preview about PS4 version graphics (google translated):

http://www.vandal.net/avances/ps4/watch-dogs/20534/4/5

On the negative side, the truth, almost everything else, has greatly disappointed graphically, not by comparing it to the famous demo from E3 2012, but certain details we were not expecting with an open world game at this point in the new generation.

Things like cars and pedestrians suddenly appearing beside, fog on the horizon hiding elements, especially in tunnels, ugly textures, physics leave much to be desired in vehicles, quite ordinary animations, discrete modeling of cars, facial expressions of the last generation ...

Lest you think we ordered too much, when compared with a recent title of the console and open world, inFamous: Second Son, this hits it a look, games seem almost from different generations. And we also had the opportunity to play the PC version, and the truth, things do not improve too much, is quite similar to what we saw in PS4, only a little better.
Now this just makes my point, when you butcher rez that much, it does not automatically mean that you're doing textures, lighting, physics that has never been done before, this one is just oddly strange, especially looking at other games already released or on the horizon at full rez.

Nethaniah

Look at Infamous. 1080p with either locked 30fps or unlocked 30-45 fps.
As I said, hyperbole. The end.

Amazing, 45 whole frames per second.

Honestly why bother with consoles when developers pull stunts like this that makes the game not only look significantly worse but also play worse.

Dragon

Banned

238.gif

On the negative side, the truth, almost everything else, has greatly disappointed graphically, not by comparing it to the famous demo from E3 2012, but certain details we were not expecting with an open world game at this point in the new generation.

Things like cars and pedestrians suddenly appearing beside, fog on the horizon hiding elements, especially in tunnels, ugly textures, physics leave much to be desired in vehicles, quite ordinary animations, discrete modeling of cars, facial expressions of the last generation ...

Lest you think we ordered too much, when compared with a recent title of the console and open world, inFamous: Second Son, this hits it a look, games seem almost from different generations. And we also had the opportunity to play the PC version, and the truth, things do not improve too much, is quite similar to what we saw in PS4, only a little better.

Disappointing. But it is UBI, so I don't know what I was expecting.

FiggyCal

Banned

Honestly why bother with consoles when developers pull stunts like this that makes the game not only look significantly worse but also play worse.

I'm not a fan of the "lazy developers" argument, but I know you understood the point he was trying to make.

Phil4000

hmm never heard of this site, so he has played both the PS4 and PC final review copies?...

and after having beaten SS I seriously don't all the praise sure the city was nice to look at but after a while you realized just how stale and empty it felt with mindless npc running around on pretty much barren streets. I would rather have some fade in than almost no pedestrians or traffic at all. That and the side missions and mission structure in general were quite repetitive and got boring after awhile...

Nethaniah

I'm not a fan of the "lazy developers" argument, but I know you understood the point he was trying to make.

@Bold Because in the end, console versions will still outsell the PC version.

I would say they only sell better because the average consumer does not want to bother with looking into what they're actually buying, a thing i do not understand.

Edit: I asked him to come back when a true next-gen game does it, regardless of my opinion on wether it's truly next-gen the game did not do the same or even close to it which is what i asked, not sure why he bothered responding.

Bravocado

I wonder if they'll patch it to run at a higher resolution later on, like AC4.

Apologies if someone else brought this up, having trouble keeping up with this thread's pace.

Denton

The footage mostly appeared to be native 1080p too suggesting the PC version...though there were sections with massive frame-rate issues during certain cuts so I don't even know.

There were PS4 buttons visible in some sequences, but that could just be PC footage with buttons overlaid, as it appeared to be 1080p. Could also have been older footage before the drop to 900p.

It seemed like it was spliced from multiple sources and even previous trailers, but the new footage looked mostly so good and sharp that it seemed like PC version to me. And what I saw, I did like, very much. Plus, COCKPIT VIEW. To me, that is such a big feature it makes me excited about the game by itself. I hope it will be done well.

EdgeXL

I was one of those people, I, to this day, cannot play GTAIV on PS3 because it's a blurry unoptimized mess. Does that mean I don't care about fun? Or does some of the technical shortcomings take away from my enjoyment of the game? I don't see how that's not a valid opinion to hold.

Whatever floats your boat. I'm not here to tell you if you are right or wrong or what you should care about. However, there is a difference between a nearly 6 year old game which wasn't designed for 1080p screens and a game in 2014 that is 900p and will likely be played on 1080p screens. I'm sure that you can play GTAIV on some platform and still have fun playing it even if it is not 1080p and even if the PS3 is not the ideal platform for that game.

The game doesn't even look that impressive.

Are you only looking at graphics, or are you actually looking at the entirety of the game and what it's doing technically? This is a very impressive game at a technical level.

Animations, the verticality possible, various AI behaviors or habits, the ability to hack into so many things in the environment and have them respond to or directly be manipulated by the player, the ability to hack items that are on the physical person of other NPC, the list goes on. People are underestimating this game. I've always believed that.

R_Deckard

Wow had a busy, came back to see if the thread was ticking over and any good news had come, maybe see a few meltdowns (PS4's included!!)

See and epic thread that has pulled in the NES, famous artwork and posters, Ryse 900 being the reason WD should be better.. And meltdowns, meltdowns a plenty!!

At this point it might be prudent to just wait and see what the reviews or other gaffer (me included) that pick up this game on day 1 and see what the feel/vibe scorer is...

Ah who am I kidding everyone gone rage and Hyperbole the sh!t out of this... It is after all.....
2516508-5567548374-Fh3ro.gif

Next thing you know, developers that left the studio would start talking about the mismanagement, the issues, the publisher, the whole shebang once this game has been released.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
meanwhile in the past, people were playing 1920x1080p on a pc

seriously, these wacky resolution numbers are goddamn hilarious

Kuldar

Next thing you know, developers that left the studio would start talking about the mismanagement, the issues, the publisher, the whole shebang once this game has been released.
I would love to read a post mortem analysis of Watch_Dogs with interviews of developers and producers.

Yeah i remeber a dutch interviewer also saying he looked at the pc version and wasn't impressed at all. There were four pc versions running at the event. The rest was PS4.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

As I've said earlier. Needs another 6 months in the oven.

I remember all the talk about 8gb GDDR this that other and look at what we have to put up with. PC all the way?

Peasant resolutions.

The sub 1080p games continue.......the generation of disappointment.

Shit like this that made me glad I finally built a PC. It's embarrassing.

Hmmm.

Glad Ubisoft spent that extra year delay optimizing the game.

Ubi to you:
i0ZrZGe.gif

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
That's practically the issue. Sony pushed a lot of marketing money promoting the graphics capabilities of PS4 and PS4 practically sold a lot just based on its power rather than the existing games. There were also those kind of statements "you will talk a lot about 1080p 60fps" and the mistake of stating that Watch Dogs will be 1080p 60 fps only amplified everything. On one side it is good for Sony, as they can market PS4 way more easily, the secondary effect being that any big game that is not 1080p has a backfiring potential. And because they are relying so much on the 3rd party games, this is also out of their hand. A beautiful hot potato with lots of polygons.

Now, Ubisoft has a big part of the guilt, as they should have been more transparent about this and announce the resolution/framerate way earlier. I mean, look at Order 1886, everyone accepted it will be 1080p with two big black bars and the damage is minimal. But Ubisoft kind of handled this game like an unwanted child in terms of communication anyhow.

I mean, I'm in total agreement with you (obviously, since it's true! haha), but in this particular case, I'd say it's more Sony's fault for pushing the message no? The Montreal studio probably had a target of 1080p and when all the components of the game came together they just didn't realistically hit it given the final dev environment. I'm not sure what's better, coming out and saying they want 1080p or waiting till they are close go final code and announcing what they managed to achieve? Better to focus on other game features till this part is stable no?

It's a tricky one because no one owns a piece of that pie - marketing communicates what they are given from development, and development is a fluid thing... the when/wheres of when to announce things are not as black and white as you're implying

omonimo

Banned
Are you only looking at graphics, or are you actually looking at the entirety of the game and what it's doing technically? This is a very impressive game at a technical level.

Animations, the verticality possible, various AI behaviors or habits, the ability to hack into so many things in the environment and have them respond to or directly be manipulated by the player, the ability to hack items that are on the physical person of other NPC, the list goes on. People are underestimating this game. I've always believed that.
Can you provide some of concrete about about those revolutionaries features in this game or you just talking giving credits to the ubi words? Because for now I haven't seen nothing of untouchable tech wise in watch dogs whatever ubisoft claimed. I will not be surprise if the final game will be like an AC in a modern setting.

Kssio_Aug

On that spanish website they said that the PS4 version is running 1080p with stable frame rate (they also said that it looks like that the frame rate seemed the priority for the developers). But that they were strongly disappointed by the graphics, that it wasnt impressive in any form.

Here is what they said (in spanish):
jugamos a la versión de PlayStation 4, y que su mayor virtud era la tasa de imágenes por segundo, totalmente estable, algo que se nota a lo que han dado máxima prioridad, y una imagen muy limpia y nítida, gracias a los 1080p de resolución. En el lado negativo, pues la verdad, casi todo lo demás, nos ha decepcionado muchísimo gráficamente

Were they mistaken about the resolution? Or maybe Ubisoft downgraded it to give the game better visuals?

psychotron

I'm still going to pick the game up because it looks fun. Crazy concept, I know. 900p looked great for Ryse, so I'm okay with this. The Infamous comparisons aren't exactly fair considering this is a multiplat.

On that spanish website they said that the PS4 version is running 1080p with stable frame rate. But that they were strongly disappointed by the graphics, that it wasnt impressive in any form.

Here is what they said (in spanish):

Were they mistaken about the resolution? Or maybe Ubisoft downgraded it to give the game better visuals?
Imthink there was an Ubi representative that told them. Just like with the German site.

Dr Dogg

The footage mostly appeared to be native 1080p too suggesting the PC version...though there were sections with massive frame-rate issues during certain cuts so I don't even know.

There were PS4 buttons visible in some sequences, but that could just be PC footage with buttons overlaid, as it appeared to be 1080p. Could also have been older footage before the drop to 900p.

A few folks who played the PC version awhile back (Jeff Gertsman comes to mind) says they used a Dual Shock 4 with it and it had the PS style button prompts.

I believe this drop happened relatively recently to smooth out the frame-rate issues seen in this video and reported on by people like Gamersyde. I don't know that I've seen any footage of the game at 900p yet. Do we have any that any one knows of?

People claiming that the game doesn't look all that demanding to warrant the scale back on graphics. People claiming that density of the world justifies it (partially in the later camp). We all need to stop. The game is out in less than 2 weeks, reviews may likely drop sooner (depends on how punitively ubisoft the PR monkeys will be). Literally, only time will tell.

I'm surprised that this is getting so much play considering how familiar and hollow-feeling it seems. I mean, this has to be one of most cynically-produced titles in recent memory, just going off of all the trailers and how unmistakably 'GTA online with hackerz meets Souls' this feels. Just a hunch more than anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if this gets hit like a broken down car on a railroad crossing as far as rough player consensus after a month or two.

All I do know is that people expecting 1080p/60fps from PS4 all generation long should not, but Sony PR claiming it as a big bullet point for the platform certainly doesn't help them later when it won't be nearly as standard...of course, that's when the PR changes its tune to suit and they might still be able to thumb their noses at MS all gen long. The resolution is especially unsustainable in the longer term for the highly expectant PS4 owner who cares so deeply for it as a defining feature or something.

I believe this drop happened relatively recently to smooth out the frame-rate issues seen in this video and reported on by people like Gamersyde. I don't know that I've seen any footage of the game at 900p yet. Do we have any that any one knows of?

Intresting point. I feel like ubi will keep all their cards close to their chest, despite the fact this lack of transparency is exactly what got them into damn near all of the meltdowns around WD. If I can be guaranteed a smooth framerate for this style of open world game on PS4, that will honestly be an achievement in itself.

rvy

Banned
I'm still going to pick the game up because it looks fun. Crazy concept, I know. 900p looked great for Ryse, so I'm okay with this. The Infamous comparisons aren't exactly fair considering this is a multiplat.

Hardly a crazy concept, but plenty of people have been burned time and time again with Ubisoft's open-world games. It makes sense that the thing that excited them was the graphics first and foremost. Now the graphics are hardly as good as they were, people lost their excitement. Whether the game is actually interesting and fun is yet to be determined. But given their history, the smart money would bet against that.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I agree with you but a lot of that simulation stuff is related to CPU tasks and wouldn't have much bearing on resolution at all. That's why this one seems to weird to me.

Top Bottom