• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft: Watch_Dogs will run at 900p on PS4 and 792p on XB1, both at 30fps

Dragon

Banned
People never satisfied. If you want the best graphics get a PC.

tumblr_mw66qqRyFg1rha2euo1_500.gif

lucius

Some recent real gameplay videos have impressive explosion effects better than Infamous SS or GTA 5, but at times the detail on the main character looks weird his jacket and so on looks worse than Delsin and I'd even say John Marston in Read Dead Redemption 360. I was never expecting the crazy detail in the first E3 demo, tuned back yes like many game games do after reveals, but this game I am not so sure about anymore. We will see soon though, gameplay hopefully will be really good which matters most in the end whether I buy it or not.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I agree with you but a lot of that simulation stuff is related to CPU tasks and wouldn't have much bearing on resolution at all. That's why this one seems to weird to me.

Maybe they want a consistent 30 fps rather than a cinematic "30" fps. Or maybe the game runs even more cinematically without that sacrifice.

Riky

$MSFT
Looking at how ACIV ran on PC I am not confident that my 7870 with 8gb ram and Phenom X4 955BE will get anywhere near 1080p and 60fps. I will be interested what sort of PC you will need to get a locked 60fps at 1080p.

Can you provide some of concrete about about those revolutionaries features in this game or you just talking giving credits to the ubi words? Because for now I haven't seen nothing of untouchable tech wise in watch dogs whatever ubisoft claimed. I will not be surprise if the final game will be like an AC in a modern setting.

Do I really need to point out examples? Just look at the videos of the game, and how it plays, and how you can interact with so many aspects of the game world and its environment.

Every camera can be hacked, every stop light apparently, you can hack into wifi access points to gain access to camera feeds inside people's homes, you can hack devices that are on the physical person of other NPCs to either steal info cause a malfunction in their equipment (weapons included), you name it. You can stop a train dead in its tracks at your leisure. You can raise a bridge to mess with traffic or screw with a police chase. You can hack fuse boxes, hack the street to bring up barriers that stop cars dead in their tracks, you can create huge traffic accidents by changing all the lights to green at an intersection, you can cause a huge citywide blackout, you can chain your hacks creatively through intelligent use of cameras so you don't necessarily have to be in the very location where you're performing a hack. Sounds like a crazy number of possibilities and ways to tackle things, and the game should get more credit for that.

I don't know if I'd say revolutionary or groundbreaking, but it is no small task what they are trying to do with this game. If the AI behaviors and reactions to all of this stuff are even remotely close to as good as suggested, they've got something amazing on their hands. I love the idea of being able to gather information on NPCs that in any other game we might not otherwise be able to know about them, and there seems to be interesting ways in which that information has direct gameplay implications. I think when people talk trash about this game over graphics or even resolution, and only ever seem to focus on just those things, it reminds me of why developers sometimes aren't willing to take any chances at being creative or thinking outside of the box, and why so many games feel designed based on focus groups instead of what hardcore gamers actually want to see.

This kind of stuff is why devs so often create for the lowest common denominator when making their games, because they probably feel there's no reward in trying to take a risk and do something that genuinely seems a bit different or cool. Watch Dogs is doing quite a bit that, to me, feels different and strikes me as a unique take on this kind of openworld title.

GameSeeker

As I've said earlier. Needs another 6 months in the oven.

It wouldn't have helped. Watch Dogs is a cross-gen game and it's clear Ubisoft put 90% of their effort to getting it running on PS3/360. Ubisoft probably expects most of their sales to be on PS3/360, so that's the focus. Ubisoft put 10% into porting the game to PS4/Xbox One, putting in higher textures, a few more trees & NPC's, slightly higher resolution and called it a day. Ubisoft says there are very happy with how the game looks, so why would they even bother trying for 1080p?

Ubisoft will continue to put out trailer after trailer rendered in 1080p on a $3,000 PC and hope everyone believes that's how the game will look on their own console. Caveat Emptor.

Are you only looking at graphics, or are you actually looking at the entirety of the game and what it's doing technically? This is a very impressive game at a technical level.

Animations, the verticality possible, various AI behaviors or habits, the ability to hack into so many things in the environment and have them respond to or directly be manipulated by the player, the ability to hack items that are on the physical person of other NPC, the list goes on. People are underestimating this game. I've always believed that.

Or it seems to be that way. Knowing Ubisoft, the curtains are going to be lifted for full discrepancy and I'm betting there's a lot of style-no-substance design that has permeated with their open-world IP's.

Blaming the PS4 for Ubisoft's inability to get Watch Dogs running at 1080p is like putting a shitty driver at the wheel of a car then blaming the manufacturer for the crash.

It wouldn't have helped. Watch Dogs is a cross-gen game and it's clear Ubisoft put 90% of their effort to getting it running on PS3/360. Ubisoft probably expects most of their sales to be on PS3/360, so that's the focus. Ubisoft put 10% into porting the game to PS4/Xbox One, putting in higher textures, a few more trees & NPC's, slightly higher resolution and called it a day. Ubisoft says there are very happy with how the game looks, so why would they even bother trying for 1080p?

Ubisoft will continue to put out trailer after trailer rendered in 1080p on a $3,000 PC and hope everyone believes that's how the game will look on their own console. Caveat Emptor.

Eh to be fair, I kinda think this is the opposite. It's more like Watch Dogs started as a next gen game but got a PS360 version added in the process. It's not about a last gen game getting up-ported to next gen ones but more like a next gen game getting downported, shoehorned, to last gen hardware. Considering how much we've seen of those version, but also who's working on which version, I wouldn't be surprised if the PS360 version was the 10% effort one.

People are really arguing over 108p? This generation just came out, last generation wasn't automatically 720p and it certainly wasn't stable for a while.

Do I really need to point out examples? Just look at the videos of the game, and how it plays, and how you can interact with so many aspects of the game world and its environment.

Every camera can be hacked, every stop light apparently, you can hack into wifi access points to gain access to camera feeds inside people's homes, you can hack devices that are on the physical person of other NPCs to either steal info cause a malfunction in their equipment (weapons included), you name it. You can stop a train dead in its tracks at your leisure. You can raise a bridge to mess with traffic or screw with a police chase. You can hack fuse boxes, hack the street to bring up barriers that stop cars dead in their tracks, you can create huge traffic accidents by changing all the lights to green at an intersection, you can cause a huge citywide blackout, you can chain your hacks creatively through intelligent use of cameras so you don't necessarily have to be in the very location where you're performing a hack. Sounds like a crazy number of possibilities and ways to tackle things, and the game should get more credit for that.

I don't know if I'd say revolutionary or groundbreaking, but it is no small task what they are trying to do with this game. If the AI behaviors and reactions to all of this stuff are even remotely close to as good as suggested, they've got something amazing on their hands. I love the idea of being able to gather information on NPCs that in any other game we might not otherwise be able to know about them, and there seems to be interesting ways in which that information has direct gameplay implications. I think when people talk trash about this game over graphics or even resolution, and only ever seem to focus on just those things, it reminds me of why developers sometimes aren't willing to take any chances at being creative or thinking outside of the box, and why so many games feel designed based on focus groups instead of what hardcore gamers actually want to see.

This kind of stuff is why devs so often create for the lowest common denominator when making their games, because they probably feel there's no reward in trying to take a risk and do something that genuinely seems a bit different or cool. Watch Dogs is doing quite a bit that, to me, feels different and strikes me as a unique take on this kind of openworld title.
Yep. Pretty ambitious and there seems to be a lit of variety. It looks interestibg and fun

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Not really. It you read the tech presentations from GDC several devs said they were surprised at how much they could get out of the CPU. For the vast majority of games, it should be sufficient for what they need.

That's why open world games are all 30 fps aside from Ground Zeroes... right....

for the millionth time, the guy is talking about indies

That's usually his realm, but he's referring to games in general on the PS4. Why would he be specifically referring to indies? There's nothing impressive about that benchmark for indie titles on a platform with that kind of horsepower, why would he even bother making that statement?

QaaQer

Thats my hope as well. I actually think Ubisoft is by far the most interesting AAA game publisher.

Or it seems to be that way. Knowing Ubisoft, the curtains are going to be lifted for full discrepancy and I'm betting there's a lot of style-no-substance design that has permeated with their open-world IP's.

Well, fair enough. If that's what's behind the curtain, it will be exposed as such, but as of right now, I see a most intriguing game with lots of interesting possibilities that I've never had in other games before. I don't know if it's due to the expectations of how powerful the new consoles would be, and this is why we're overlooking what this game is trying to do, but what if Watch Dogs, instead of being from Ubisoft, was just some epic indie title? I really do wonder if the reactions here would be the same.

Is it because it's one of the mega publishers that we're not taking the time to appreciate what may possibly be a game that's doing some genuinely different things from what we've come to expect over the years from action adventure open world titles? What if the game were 1080p and 60fps on both machines, but they failed miserably on their vision and it isn't even close to delivering on the "connected world, hack anything" vision they promised? Would we be hailing Ubisoft and the dev team right now for their incredible work? The game may or may not not deliver, but I gladly give them the benefit of the doubt until I see otherwise. Judging them on their work based on native rendering resolutions is a bit too crazy for me. I think I even saw mentions of Ryse being 900p, so there's no reason for this game to not be much higher, totally ignoring just how unbelievably different the two games are.

for the millionth time, the guy is talking about indies

Yea, that might have been what he meant to be talking about...but he didn't correct himself at all. And everyone took it to mean something else.

http://gearnuke.com/1080p60fps-game-changers-playstation-4-says-shahid-kamal-ahmad/
http://www.gamepur.com/news/12716-s...on-two-words-fans-will-hear-lot-ps4-are-.html
http://gamingbolt.com/shahid-ahmad-...t-for-ps4-yoshida-addresses-ui-speed-concerns

I don't get what the big deal is, it just is funny to look back on now in retrospect (just like other PR missteps, such as from MS).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's why open world games are all 30 fps aside from Ground Zeroes... right....

That's why I said sufficient, nothing more. I don't consider being able to handle open world simulation at 30fps a bottleneck. XBO eSRAM being too small to store high res framebuffers? Now THAT'S a bottleneck, something that affects a large percentage of developers from meeting their goals. The CPU may cause issues in some games but I would only call it a major bottleneck if it causes issues in a large percentage of titles.

Andrew.

Banned
I think resolution is the last thing we should be concerned about regarding this here game.

I havent been so "Ehhhh....I dont know...." about a game release in ages. It's kind of exciting, yet kind of crappy.

Good thing is if it ends up being a hot mess we got Kart 8 releasing 72 hours later.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's why I said sufficient, nothing more. I don't consider being able to handle open world simulation at 30fps a bottleneck. XBO eSRAM being too small to store high res framebuffers? Now THAT'S a bottleneck, something that affects a large percentage of developers from meeting their goals. The CPU may cause issues in some games but I would only call it a major bottleneck if it causes issues in a large percentage of titles.

Point being this is the beginning of the gen, that bottle neck is going to become more and more apparent further on in the gen, especially in open world games. It's not massive now though still rather large but as developers become more ambitious it certainly will be.

commedieu

Banned
The xbone res is expected. But the PS4 res is unfortunate for those who were thinking in 2014 their games would be 1080p since last gen missed. It will be skipped by quite a few people, and thats on top of the game really not being too day one to begin with it seems. Im sure a lot of people are working hard on it, but it certainly is the case that they don't exactly have the best people on the job.

The xbone res is expected. But the PS4 res is unfortunate for those who were thinking in 2014 their games would be 1080p since last gen missed. It will be skipped by quite a few people, and thats on top of the game really not being too day one to begin with it seems. Im sure a lot of people are working hard on it, but it certainly is the case that they don't exactly have the best people on the job.

Still doesn't change the fact that the PS4 version will look better than the X1. That's all that matters (close thread).

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Point being this is the beginning of the gen, that bottle neck is going to become more and more apparent further on in the gen, especially in open world games. It's not massive now though still rather large but as developers become more ambitious it certainly will be.

I'm hoping at that point the combination of HSA/GPGPU know-how can combat the issue some.

MikahR

Banned
Still doesn't change the fact that the PS4 version will look better than the X1. That's all that matters (close thread).

In my opinion, those who have decided not to get the game, or have cancelled their preorders, because it doesn't meet their expected resolution have just about lost touch with what it means to be a gamer.

This "1080p or nothing" attitude is for the birds. Absolutely ridiculous.

EGOMON

Now am just curious what was the state of the game before the delay?
was it 720p/30fps on PS4 and sub-720p for XBO? and what about the PS360 version?

KORNdoggy

Now am just curious what was the state of the game before the delay?
was it 720p/30fps on PS4 and sub-720p for XBO? and what about the PS360 version?

I actually think it was higher before. 1080p PS4 and 900p xbone. I think the drop in res is recent to combat what seemed to be a pretty horrendous framerate,

still find it interesting people here apparently have insider knowledge why shit isn't 1080p.

There does seem to be a ton of things running in the background of this game that aren't apparent in screenshots, like a fully simulated wind system and from what i gather, sim like AI for each character (?) and physics up the wazoo.

Is any of that is needed though could be debateable, but 'lazy devs' and comparisons with another game on the platform seems silly and pointless.

From what I can tell this is pretty decent looking for a first attempt of a fully open world city game thing on like a dozen platforms.

What was the first open world game last gen, saints row 2?

Looking at how ACIV ran on PC I am not confident that my 7870 with 8gb ram and Phenom X4 955BE will get anywhere near 1080p and 60fps. I will be interested what sort of PC you will need to get a locked 60fps at 1080p.

In my opinion, those who have decided not to get the game, or have cancelled their preorders, because it doesn't meet their expected resolution have just about lost touch with what it means to be a gamer.

This "1080p or nothing" attitude is for the birds. Absolutely ridiculous.

And they really should have known what they were in for when they bought a console. Last gen a whole bunch of games couldn't even hit 720p because of the scale the devs were going for or whatever reason. If people want assurance that all their games will run at 1080p then they need to build a PC and stop trying to box developers in with their silly requirements.

MikahR

Banned
still find it interesting people here apparently have insider knowledge why shit isn't 1080p.

There does seem to be a ton of things running in the background of this game that aren't apparent in screenshots, like a fully simulated wind system and from what i gather, sim like AI for each character (?) and physics up the wazoo.

Is any of that is needed though could be debateable, but 'lazy devs' and comparisons with another game on the platform seems silly and pointless.

Armchair developers are very much the in-thing these days, it seems.

Top Bottom