• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Don't everyone get too comfortable with these pics right away, we have a LOOONG year of console war threads to which they will be touted ahead of us.

arne

Glix said:
I'm blown away by how close these screens are to the target art.

To be fair, that's what I thought when I joined and then first played the level we took these screens from. I was pretty impressed with how the team here works together to make that possible.

WinFonda

Pallaris said:
28k2fx4.jpg

capture2yo2.jpg

Holy farkin shit i've never seen concept art this well realized in a game. Massive kudos to the modelling/art people involved.
2iaubus.gif

iam220

J-Rzez said:
L2Read. Arne said they're DF. They weren't supposed to be out.

I did read that. I just don't believe it. Maybe the game has a screen-shot tool like Halo 3 does which then applies AA and AF. So if that's true, it's still technically 'direct feed'.

We'll have to wait and see I guess ...

Looks way more interesting than the bleakness of Killzone 2 or Gears 2.

Love the browns, skin tones, muted greens...just a really beautiful mix for the environment. Can't wait to see what the snow environment will actually look like!

Jim

I'm sure they are direct feed, but it doesn't mean they weren't captured at 2x the resolution (and downsized to post online)... these were probably intended as magazine assets after all, which usually need to have a relatively high DPI.

Doc Evils

fortified_concept said:
Personally I think they are bullshots. This is too good to be true.

I agree. Not like it's ingame screenshots right..

right?

Dirtbag

Holy shit! THAT LOOKS.....

AWESOME!

Painting come to life much?
Maybe Jaffe just had the wrong game??

Depth of field is a bit extreme, but I doubt it will be used to such extremes in actual gameplay sections.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One of the really nice improvements that I can see immediately is a much better skin shader for Drake and probably other characters as well. No more oily look under any lighting conditions it seems. Actually, the lighting in general looks much better, softer and more natural.

Jim said:
I'm sure they are direct feed, but it doesn't mean they weren't captured at 2x the resolution (and downsized to post online)... these were probably intended as magazine assets after all, which usually need to have a relatively high DPI.
That's most likely what they did. Texture, lighting and shader quality wouldn't be much affected by that if at all though.

KTallguy

Banned
arne said:
To be fair, that's what I thought when I joined and then first played the level we took these screens from. I was pretty impressed with how the team here works together to make that possible.

Wow. :)

Doc Evils said:
I agree. Not like it's ingame screenshots right..

right?

I'm not saying I don't hope it's true, I'm just not that optimistic. If that pic is direct feed, it'll be the best looking game ever.

Fuck this game. Fuck these screens. Fuck all of you excited about this

My pants button just snapped off putting a hole in my tv screen. Fuck. :D . Naughty Dog.... Thank you. Can. NOT. Wait.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Looks incredible but I'm a bit concerned that we haven't heard about Elena and Sully coming back, especially since their characters were so well developed.

Kinan

painful fart said:
Very possible, the bus is of an Indian brand: Tata.

Nepal doesn't have own bus production :), they import lots of things out of India. If I remember my visit there correctly - Tata was actually most popular car on the streets.

Its a beautiful, beautiful land, with everything from lush valleys and busy towns to mystery ruins and highest mountains on Earth.

Excellent choice, Naughty Dog.

Anyone claiming "these are teh fake" clearly haven't played many Naughty Dog games before. They're known for their deep understanding of hardware and pushing their games to the edge of the system's potential.
IDK if these are 100% real or not, but go play Jak and Daxter and then go play Jak 3 and you'll see what I'm talking about. No way a PS2 game should have ever looked that good, but they found a way.

Naughty Dog > Insomniac > anyone else in Sony's 2nd party group anyway....

WinFonda

Buckethead said:
Anyone claiming "these are teh fake" clearly haven't played many Naughty Dog games before. They're known for their deep understanding of hardware and pushing their games to the edge of the system's potential.
IDK if these are 100% real or not, but go play Jak and Daxter and then go play Jak 3 and you'll see what I'm talking about. No way a PS2 game should have ever looked that good, but they found a way.

Naughty Dog > Insomniac > anyone else in Sony's 2nd party group anyway....

Naughty Dog is 1st party :D

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Witchfinder General said:
Looks incredible but I'm a bit concerned that we haven't heard about Elena and Sully coming back, especially since their characters were so well developed.
I had the same thought, but you know what...I'd rather ND don't reveal jack shiiiiiiiiit about plot point and show as little as possible like Epic did with Gears 2. Let the players experience it on their own. Some games give/show waaaaaay too much stuff before the game's release. As much as it pains me to say this, I want ND to show as little as possible with Uncharted 2. I wanna experience all the stuff on my own for the first time when I pick up the game. I wanna be BLOWN the fuck away every time I get to a new area.

TheExodu5

Banned
KTallguy said:
Yes to more puzzles.

I love Uncharted, but Nathan needs more of a... hmm.
Sometimes I wish he had a Whip like Indiana, but he needs some signature weapon or something similar to make him more memorable as a character. I like his wisecracking, but it's still just words. You need something more visual.

Half-tuck. It even has a mind of it's own...it's now become a 3/4 tuck. Soon, it will be a full tuck, and will take over Nate completely.

WinFonda said:
Naughty Dog is 1st party :D
Technically not right? They have their own Presidents and stuff, but are owned by Sony. Doesn't that mean they are 2nd party, and Insomniac is technically 3rd party, but the Resistance and R&C IP are owned by Sony.

I mean, I'm pretty sure Insomniac could turn around and make a 360 game tomorrow if they wanted to,. They just wouldn't get funding from Sony.

The game needs to be released this summer (MGS4 of 09). I'm not willing to wait till a fall/winter release. You hear me Sony? DO YOU HEAR ME?!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Kaako said:
I had the same thought, but you know what...I'd rather ND don't reveal jack shiiiiiiiiit about plot point and show as little as possible like Epic did with Gears 2. Let the players experience it on their own. Some games give/show waaaaaay too much stuff before the game's release. As much as it pains me to say this, I want ND to show as little as possible with Uncharted 2. I wanna experience all the stuff on my own for the first time when I pick up the game. I wanna be BLOWN the fuck away every time I get to a new area.

I'm of a similar mind but I can't shake the feeling that ND have given in to the fanboys on this one.

"Duhr, Elena isn't a 14 year old's wet dream. I want titties!"

I can't help but think such an interesting character (one whom Drake may view romantically given how their friendship evolved over the course of the game) will be dumped to appease all the idiots out there.

Do people honestly believe these are bullshots?

Obviously folks that didn't play Uncharted.

These shots are the real deal kids.

CANNOT FUCKING WAIT!!!!!! I'm so glad I'll be able to bolster my PS3 library significantly next year.

Emailed this thread to my fiancee. She loved watching me play the first one.

Top Bottom