• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End Multiplayer |OT| Swinging To Victory

Tubie

Just finished the main story so I only played one match but it was surprisingly a lot of fun.

60fps works wonders for this.

Robby322

Alright, so I know games are going to look better than this at some point but after playing this for a few hours, I don't understand how that is possible. This has to be the peak. Naughty Dog must be pulling some wizardry shit to keep this running so smooth too.

Tried to breeze through Trials and hit a wall at the Grenade one on Crushing. Now I don't usually play on Crushing but I was able to do the Medipack one but damn, this one is always down to wire and I'm always on the losing end.

Tips?

what about evil/good character spoilers?
I haven't finished the game yet but if anyone switches alignments (I don't know, as I said I'm not near the end) it's not reflected in the multiplayer. Every character is listed as either hero or villain the same as they have been shown in all pre-release footage - Elena is a hero etc.

I haven't finished the game yet but if anyone switches alignments (I don't know, as I said I'm not near the end) it's not reflected in the multiplayer. Every character is listed as either hero or villain the same as they have been shown in all pre-release footage - Elena is a hero, Nadine is a villain, etc.

huh, I'm on as much of a blackout I didn't even know Nadine's side lol, good to know.

Ive noticed a few tweaks compared to the beta.

Mettler is nerfed big time. I stopped using it completely and moved to the AK, and I didn't touch any other weapon in the beta. 90% of players are using the ak or smg and with good reason. These semi auto rifles like the Mettler and Fal (tried to use it in place of the Mettler) are garbage against the faster rate of fire weapons with similar accuracy. As soon as I switched to the AK I started breezing through. I will be utilizing the AK with the recoil mod as soon as I unlock it. Too bad.

The brutes seem to have been beefed up quite a bit. They dropped really quick in the beta with headshots, but I feel like their health has been increased. I find people are abusing them more so than in the beta.

Grenades look like they have been improved too. They seem to be more powerful with a wider area. I think I've been downed by them more in these 2 nights than in the closed beta and open beta combined.

And of course the frame rate is beautiful now. Wow.

Mettler is nerfed big time. I stopped using it completely and moved to the AK, and I didn't touch any other weapon in the beta. 90% of players are using the ak or smg and with good reason. These semi auto rifles like the Mettler and Fal (tried to use it in place of the Mettler) are garbage against the faster rate of fire weapons with similar accuracy. As soon as I switched to the AK I started breezing through. I will be utilizing the AK with the recoil mod as soon as I unlock it. Too bad.

The brutes seem to have been beefed up quite a bit. They dropped really quick in the beta with headshots, but I feel like their health has been increased. I find people are abusing them more so than in the beta.

Grenades look like they have been improved too. They seem to be more powerful with a wider area. I think I've been downed by them more in these 2 nights than in the closed beta and open beta combined.

Agreed, the brutes and grenades have been a lot more problematic than they ever were before. It takes an insane amount of headshots to down those fuckers.

ALSO WHY THE HELL DOES THE SNIPER SIDEKICK TAKE SO MANY SHOTS TO TAKEDOWN?

aravuus

I can't believe there's no Classic Mode without the sidekicks/magic powers etc. How is that not an option.

It's kind of ridiculous. I'm really enjoying the multiplayer, aside from the occasional corner you should be able to take cover behind but can't and barrier you get stuck trying to vault over the gameplay is fucking amazing.

But the amount of content is frankly laughable. Not sure if it's enough to keep me interested for longer than a couple of weeks.

AFCA

Neo Member
Multiplayer plays great but the way you unlock items is really frustrating and I doubt it does encourage me to play this for the next few weeks/months.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
WHAT? CAN'T HAVE MORE THAN ONE MODIFIER ON YOUR GUN?!!! SMH.

You have to earn special personalized guns, ie "Drake's AK-47", which have two predetermined modifiers on them. You get those after you get the standard modifiers.

The AK seems like the only weapon worth using so far.

I tried to use that second SMG you unlock for some variety, but it seems outclassed by the AK in every way.

What weapons are you guys using?

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I'm wondering if the customization will be expanded later on. Looking at the pre-made outfits, it seems like you ought to be able to edit the clothing color. Especially when you've got skins like Casual Cutter. I struggle to understand that one. The gloves especially.

I tried to use that second SMG you unlock for some variety, but it seems outclassed by the AK in every way.

I've been running the Para 45 alone. I can do well if the enemy team isn't absolutely crushing my team. Lots of blind-firing though, and I'm sure I'd do better if I chose a long gun instead, but I've got a fondness for handguns.

Mettler is nerfed big time. I stopped using it completely and moved to the AK, and I didn't touch any other weapon in the beta.

not sure I like the sound of any of this...

Foxxsoxx

It's kind of ridiculous. I'm really enjoying the multiplayer, aside from the occasional corner you should be able to take cover behind but can't and barrier you get stuck trying to vault over the gameplay is fucking amazing.

But the amount of content is frankly laughable. Not sure if it's enough to keep me interested for longer than a couple of weeks.

New mode/maps/skins/items should be coming within a few months. Likely July. Then other drops afterwards. It's never a bad thing to take a break so you don't burn out :p

Hale_C

Once you unlock it, the HS39 is pretty good. Not necessarily better than the AK, but at close range it's the superior weapon. I'm building up to getting the recoil mod, that should make it pretty well rounded since it's pretty crap at long range (despite having a better range stat than the AK). Agree with those noting the mettler is nerfed, it was my go-to in the beta and it just feels rubbish now. Saying that I've played against people that have been deadly with it, and with the FAL which I also struggle to use effectively.

Biggest bugbear for me is the way your gun will sometimes not fire if the game thinks there's a wall in your way. It can be insanely frustrating to pop out of cover, be in full view of the opposition and be unable to fire. It also makes blind firing in enclosed spaces a pain in the ass, because sometimes your gun will just stop firing if you come too close to a wall. I get why they added it but it can't be working as intended, feels unpolished.

Oh, and that getting through the higher ranks solo is super annoying, since you need to win 2/3 matches in a row. Sounds simple enough unless your team is dreadful, which it is 75% of the time.

Aside from all that... it's a fucking great MP mode.

Nothing infuriates me more than a jackass that isn't under fire and behind cover that can see me down right next to them and they completely ignore me!

Yep, that is enough to get the blood boiling.

Nothing infuriates me more than a jackass that isn't under fire and behind cover that can see me down right next to them and they completely ignore me!

Played a bunch of the Beta and now starting to put some time into release... i really think they need to tweak the weapons.

As stated by loads... the AK is way too proficient at everything and the other long guns aren't that competitive when compared. I'm forcing myself to use the FAL and the Mettler but they feel super weak now. Very disappointing to see everyone on both teams just running around with AKs.

Marvel

could never
It's a ton of fun!

I sucked during the beta, but weirdly I play very very well in the retail version. Seems to have clicked now.

SomTervo

I personally think it's a massive boon that the AK is so good. That means most people are using it which makes it a very level playing field.

Being more accurate and thinking more quickly on your feet nets you the victory - not your weapon.

mproadmapsqsao.png

aravuus

^ I know about the plans they've got for multiplayer, I should've said the amount of content at launch is laughable. I'm sure the game's much better in summer 2017, but I'm not sure if I'm interested in playing it any more then.

New mode/maps/skins/items should be coming within a few months. Likely July. Then other drops afterwards. It's never a bad thing to take a break so you don't burn out :p

I'm terrible at limiting myself when it comes to addicting multiplayer games though lol. I play all day erry day for like two weeks and burn myself on the game.

I did manage to put hundreds of hours into CS:S's cs_office alone some years ago though, so maybe U4 MP will stick with me for a bit longer than the yearly CoD. Like I said, it is fucking fun to play.

Discussion of breaks due to burn out two days after launch is laughable. The gameplay is great, but this is about as barebones as MP gets.

SomTervo

I'd rather have less content with phenomenal gameplay than lots of content and gameplay with flaws.

Of course there are limits to that - Star Wars Battlefront was way too little content with solid gameplay - but I think the Uncharted 4 launch package has struck the right balance. The 8 maps all seem really good. The customisation options (weapons and characters) seems really good. The 3/4 modes seem pretty varied.

There's enough to get a lot of variation and the core combat gameplay is fantastic.

wilflare

how do I change the skill level setting after the first trial? does it affect anything at all?

I bought the game via PSN. not sure why the game is still downloading the separate multiplayer entry (after I played the SP and MP)

how is the matchmaking with aim assist? is it off for all when i put it on 0 ?

Not sure about the "0" setting but dont worry about it at all. It's not really noticeable like it is in a game like COD or something. Everything about the gunplay and aiming is superb for a TPS... super, super solid.

xRaizen

Anyone kind of disappointed they got rid of the rank system completely?
Yup. Loved having ranks and the legacy system.

Multiplayer feels so devolved from past games. Every change they made feels like two steps forward, one step back. Customization feels gimped from U3 (not being able to choose colors), no levels/legacy system, maps aren't exactly as vertical as some maps in U2/U3, etc.

Just disappoint from me all around the MP when I was a huge fan of U2 and U3's MP.

Discussion of breaks due to burn out two days after launch is laughable. The gameplay is great, but this is about as barebones as MP gets.

Lack of diversity in characters and unlocks is already doing me in,
Game really needs more special stuff to spice it up,

Uncharted 2 at least added the PlayStation characters, and had stuff like the skeletons.
Uncharted 3 had custom characters and the doughnut skins.

The sidekicks look cooler than half the villains.

Top Bottom