• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

New character reveal was fantastic. I love watching Nathan get a little roughed up.

As for Laura Baily voicing a black woman, it's a little crappy they couldn't find an actual black VA, but white people voicing black people isn't new. I'm a little disappointed in Naughty Dog for their decision though considering I always thought they were one of the more progressive developers, but it won't ruin my enjoyment of the game :)

Edit - we also don't know what happened during development. For all we know ND could have changed the ethnicity after recording Laura's lines.

I don't imply racism, just that its stupid to make a black woman and then not have her voiced accurately. There's plenty of black females around looking for voice acting jobs. Why go with Laura bailey who could get anything in her sleep?

If black people can do white people voices or roles, why can't it be done the other way around? I've seen a lot of #blackbond parading around for months, so I don't understand this perspective when its the other way around?

I doubt you think its a big deal anyway, so maybe it was just a throwaway decision that Naughty Dog had made. Nothing to be concerned over imo.

Best wishes.

GOW isn't even trying to go for reality based greek interpretations.

Even if she is South Australian black and not African American, it could not have been too hard to find someone to accurately represent the role. Naughty Dog did decently well in this area for TLOU.

I guess I just see voice acting as different from actual acting. Like, while I routinely shit on white washing as far as normal acting goes, when it comes to voice acting, it never bothered me. I mean, people of different races voicing whoever just never seemed like anything off

Holy shit I had no idea the VGA started :O

The lip syncing looked wonky as hell. Very uncanny with those hyper realistic models.

I thoughy ND mastered facial motion capture with TLOU. What happened here? i just hope it is a delay with the stream.

Yep, I didn't like the facial animation, it was weird, robotic.

IvorB

GOW isn't even trying to go for reality based greek interpretations.

Even if she is South Australian black and not African American, it could not have been too hard to find someone to accurately represent the role. Naughty Dog did decently well in this area for TLOU.

South African!

I guess I just see voice acting as different from actual acting. Like, while I routinely shit on white washing as far as normal acting goes, when it comes to voice acting, it never bothered me. I mean, people of different races voicing whoever just never seemed like anything off
But it's still giving a prime opportunity for a black VA to voice a black character to a non-black VA in an industry that struggles giving black characters valuable screen time.

New character reveal was fantastic. I love watching Nathan get a little roughed up.

As for Laura Baily voicing a black woman, it's a little crappy they couldn't find an actual black VA, but white people voicing black people isn't new. I'm a little disappointed in Naughty Dog for their decision though considering I always thought they were one of the more progressive developers, but it won't ruin my enjoyment of the game :)

No buts, that's the damn problem. Shit sistas are hard to come by in games period and when one appears she can't even be voiced by a black woman.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If black people can do white people voices or roles, why can't it be done the other way around? I've seen a lot of #blackbond parading around for months, so I don't understand this perspective when its the other way around?

I doubt you think its a big deal anyway, so maybe it was just a throwaway decision that Naughty Dog had made. Nothing to be concerned over imo.

Best wishes.

"Black bond"? I don't know anything about that, i just wish voices could be accurately represented to the character is all, if your going for some sort of realistic interpretation.

I know its not always possible, it is disappointing when it doesn't come to pass.

I don't imply racism, just that its stupid to make a black woman and then not have her voiced accurately. There's plenty of black females around looking for voice acting jobs. Why go with Laura bailey who could get anything in her sleep?

Why hire Troy Baker, Nolan North or Jennifer Hale either? There's a in-crowd with these voice actors.

I'm not calling you out per-se, but it's a bit silly that some people are asking "Why not Merle Dandridge?" when that wouldn't do anything to curb this particular 'problem' that people are espousing.

Grimløck;187791702 said:
nah. you can cry about real issues elsewhere

image.php

nice attempt to salvage that response with "real issues," though

VanWinkle

Glorious. That hair looked amazing.

But it's still giving a prime opportunity for a black VA to voice a black character to a non-black VA in an industry that struggles giving black characters valuable screen time.

I mean...I'm sure they did auditions for the role, though.

I honestly can't believe this. TLOU was mostly progressive although it did rely on a certain stereotype (angry black woman although she is more nuanced and at least given depth + a rationale). But this...

Hair is a beaut though.

I'm kinda tempted. Haven't played since Uncharted 2, but if I could use her in multiplayer I might just.

I honestly can't believe this. TLOU was mostly progressive although it did rely on a certain stereotype (angry black woman although she is more nuanced and at least given depth + a rationale). But this...

Marlene was never portrayed as being angry in that game. She was always level headed.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm sorry guys, i didn't mean to throw off the thread. It was just a concern i had that i thought i should voice. Again, i apologize.

aly

Of course the first black female in an Uncharted game has to be the manliest character in the series.

Wut? She isn't manly at all. She has muscle though, which is proper.

Really? Marlene never seemed angry to me. One of the most level headed characters in fact.

Ricky_R

This is less than a minute of footage. We don't know how the character is going to be developed. Also, ND being progressive before is proof enough that they probably went with the voice actress who they thought fit better for the job.

What the fuck are you guys on about "accurate representation"? It's a fictional character. Any actor can cover that. There's nothing unique to a black person's voice that any other person couldn't do just as well.

Hell, in cartoons, I know of plenty of little boys were voiced by adult women.

Marlene was never portrayed as being angry in that game. She was always level headed.
Really? Marlene never seemed angry to me. One of the most level headed characters in fact.
Both Marlene and Daisy Fitzroy from Bioshock Infinite teeter dangerously close to that stereotype. While Marlene is more level headed (and further from the trope), they both have elements of the trope.
This is less than a minute of footage. We don't know how the character is going to be developed. Also, ND being progressive before is proof enough that they probably went with the voice actress who they thought fit better for the job.
I hardly doubt it's going to be revealed that Nadine is actually not black and that was a disguise so I don't really see how more than a minute of footage is going to suddenly validate the casting.

Sharpeye

Troy Baker voiced Delsin, an native American in Infamous and everyone was fine with that. You don't need to be your characters race to voice them. I mean imagine Darth Vader without his iconic voice, or the shredder. A voice is just a voice, I see no issue here. Now if they used her actual appearance and just darken her skin in game, than that would be bit of an issue.

What the fuck are you guys on about "accurate representation"? It's a fictional character. Any actor can cover that. There's nothing unique to a black person's voice that any other person couldn't do just as well.

Totally the same thing. Pack it up, PC police!

ShutterMunster

If that fucking guy doesn't get banned for that, I'm out of here. Unbelievable...

Strange that she isn't voiced by a black woman, but I'm not going to make a fuss over it. I'm just happy to see more of us in the art that I love. ✊🏾 Props to DRUCKMANN AND CO!

Tripolygon

Banned
Umm, she was one of the least angry character in the game. Joel and Tess were very angry.

Is there some kind of competition for stupidest post going on tonight?

IvorB

Yeah I'm sure many people in this thread would be shocked to learn that Bart Simpson was voiced by a woman and not a small, spiky-haired yellow child.

KissVibes

Banned

Best wishes.

Would Black Bond be a black dude in white face make up?

Top Bottom