• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4 New Character Trailer: Nadine Ross (Laura Bailey)

Ricky_R

I hardly doubt it's going to be revealed that Nadine is actually not black and that was a disguise so I don't really see how more than a minute of footage is going to suddenly validate the casting.

I'm talking about your impression of how Marlene was tackled in TLOU compared to Nadine which was shown literally for less than a minute. We don't know how they will portray her. For all we know she will be a very strong character.

I mean, what's the issue here? Is it who's voicing her or how the character is represented in the game?

Go on.............

What? Nevermind ain't worth my time honey.
I don't know what you think I'm trying to say but I'll tell you.

I wish we could have softer examples of black females in games on the rare occurrence that they are in a game. Always the warrior more often than not. Still progress in diversity, I guess, so I shouldn't complain too much.

What did you guys think I meant?

Memento

I honestly can't believe this. TLOU was mostly progressive although it did rely on a certain stereotype (angry black woman although she is more nuanced and at least given depth + a rationale). But this...

I didnt think I would see a worst comment than that one, but congrats I guess...

So you play as a white man and beat up a black woman, who isn't even voiced by a black woman. Wonder if ND thought this through given the current climate.

Both Marlene and Daisy Fitzroy from Bioshock Infinite teeter dangerously close to that stereotype. While Marlene is more level headed (and further from the trope), they both have elements of the trope.

When was she portrayed as being angry? You're talking about her being similar to a stereotype but not actually explaining where the anger part is. The closest she ever really comes to being angry is (major spoiler)
during the ending when she's trying to convince Joel to leave Ellie.
Aside from that I can't remember any time where she came across as being close to being angry. She was certainly always serious, but then again every character was.

I don't know what you think I'm trying to say but I'll tell you.

I wish we could have softer examples of black females in games on the rare occurrence that they are in a game. Always the warrior more often than not. Still progress in diversity, I guess, so I shouldn't complain too much.

What did you guys think I meant?

"you SJWs are never happy with anything we give you, why even bother"

KissVibes

Banned
Grimløck;187791702 said:
nah. you can cry about real issues elsewhere

I find the lack of actual minority representation a real issue. I also think this looks quite a bit like Laura Bailey, with some features changed. As I recall, doesn't Naughty Dog base faces somewhat on their voice talents in order to better match up the lip syncing and facial expressions?

I'm talking about your impression of how Marlene was tackled in TLOU compared to Nadine which was shown literally for less than a minute. We don't know how they will portray her. For all we know she will be a very strong character. I mean, what's the issue here? Is it who's voicing of how the character is represented in the game?
I wasn't comparing their characters, I happened to bring up Marlene in relation to how video game writing can still teeter dangerously close to regressive stereotypes even in games that are generally considered progressive.

I'm not saying Nadine won't be an awesome character, I love her design and her attitude seems cool. I'm saying ND really missed an opportunity to cast a black VA in an industry that is currently very white centred and has issues with representation of people of colour.

"Oh a new U4 trailer, let's see what gaf..."

JP69Jux.gif

This thread.

Bold One

I imagine Fupri is referencing the Bond/Idris Elba fiasco a few months back....

but I could be wrong, anyway it seems a few people are about to climax from the outrage jerk-off

Damerman

Of course the first black female in an Uncharted game has to be the manliest character in the series.
Don't do this. Fit women don't have much exposure... That lack of expsures is the reason ur having the myopic reaction ur having. I like that she is muscular... Instead of some skinny lady that fights like she's 50 pounds heavier than she actually is.

I'm upset that they didnt get a black actress for that character, but whatever, still gonna get it.

If black people can do white people voices or roles, why can't it be done the other way around? I've seen a lot of #blackbond parading around for months, so I don't understand this perspective when its the other way around?

I doubt you think its a big deal anyway, so maybe it was just a throwaway decision that Naughty Dog had made. Nothing to be concerned over imo.

Best wishes.

Don't think "white people voices" are a thing. It's a stereotype. People might sound a certain way based on what culture they have been exposed to but it's not inherent to their skin color. As for a Black James Bond, that would most likely be a reboot of the character. No issues there. Its fiction after all. Now if they said hey we're going to do a Black Bond, but have him played by Daniel Craig in Blackface, that's different.

I didnt think I would see a worst comment than that one, but congrats I guess...
When was she portrayed as being angry? You're talking about her being similar to a stereotype but not actually explaining where the anger part is. The closest she ever really comes to being angry is (major spoiler)
during the ending when she's trying to convince Joel to leave Ellie.
Aside from that I can't remember any time where she came across as being close to being angry. She was certainly always serious, but then again every character was.
I love TLOU, it's one of my favourite games of all time, and Bioshock Infinite has a special place in my mind even though I don't think it's a fantastic game. But both Daisy Fitzroy and Marlene have the same trait of being willing to do absolutely anything to achieve their goals, and both of them exhibit moments of strong anger. The trait on it's own is not an issue and if there were other notable examples of people of colour in either game it wouldn't be an issue (I am aware of Henry and Sam in TLOU but
both of them die, as does Marlene)
. However, when the only black women in either game spend a lot of their time getting in the protagonist's way, it lends itself to a certain negative stereotype. Daisy is certainly the more poorly portrayed of the two, and as I said, Marlene has a very strong rationale and there is nuance to her character in the recordings you can find in the lab, but taken at face value it doesn't come across very well.

Again, I'm not saying either game was created with racist intent or anything like that. I think it is just an oversight but it's sad to see another possible oversight being committed.

Fupri

Banned
I imagine Fupri is referencing the Bond/Idris Elba fiasco a few months back....

but I could be wrong, anyway it seems a few people are about to climax from the outrage jerk-off
Uh, what?

Ban please.

Because you disagree with something people gotta go "Ban that guy" "Report & move on" "Really?" What's wrong about the post? I didn't use a racist term. If I outright said the n-word I'd understand the backlash but I didn't.

En-ou

it's 2015 and lip syncing still sucks. is there hope for proper lip syncing/facial expression when speaking in video games? why is it so damn hard?

I think it's very important to go into these discussions knowing that when people express their concerns regarding this setup with a new character - a woman of color, particularly - that if they express any concerns whatsoever, it means that they can't be happy about any individual facet of said character's inclusion, and that they're specifically just trying to push their outrage culture agenda. I mean, otherwise, why else would they express their concerns?

prwxv3

Uh, what?

Because you disagree with something people gotta go "Ban that guy" "Report & move on" "Really?" What's wrong about the post? I didn't use a racist term. If I outright said the n-word I'd understand the backlash but I didn't.

Wat you said all black females sound ghetto.

Top Bottom