• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted is a legit great TPS (mechanics, encounters, level design)

The other guy didn't, so I'll explain why the Uncharted 2 example is the epitome of why I fucking hate Uncharted combat so much.

Look, the guy is moving around a lot, taking cover for short amounts of time, cover-firing from ledges, etc. Whoopdie doo. What I can't stand about Uncharted is all the other bullshit - he's getting shot so much which is necessary if you want to do any melee! Enemies are everywhere in completely unbalanced ways! You have to constantly press your luck and hope that there aren't even more enemies on all sides as you start punching everyone!

I didn't see any skill or strategy employed in that video. Just sheer dumb luck where, since it's on Normal, Drake is a bullet sponge in mostly unpredictable ways.

While watching that video I instinctively got (a small amount) stressed out just thinking "ugh this represents literally everything I hate about Uncharted". All I could imagine was needing to restart that segment over and over again if a grenade unexpectedly fell out of nowhere or if I got killed while trying to take someone out with melee or maybe there was a sniper who'd get a bead on me or maybe a heavily-armored dude would suddenly blast me with a shotgun and I wouldn't be able to escape in time.

I played all three Uncharted games back-to-back in the last few weeks and everything about those games is fantastic except for the combat. The combat is just so utterly terrible it nearly made me quit a few times. I've never felt like this playing Tomb Raider, or Gears of War, or any other shooter series first- or third-person.

Especially The Last of Us. I played The Last of Us immediately after. It's so unbelievably great in every single way including combat. It was such a refreshing breath of fresh air after the Uncharted series. God damn do I hope Naughty Dog puts a whole lot of Last of Us into Uncharted 4.

The whole point of Uncharted combat is to be a fly by the seat of your pants scrappy shooter experience in the mold of adventure serials/movies. Pressing your luck and surviving overwhelming odds through dynamic play is exactly what the series should be striving for. In reality though, none of the combat in that Uncharted 2 clip is haphazard or sloppy because when you begin that firefight you have a vantage point of the entire arena. It's only because the player pushed into the middle of the fight that bullets were seemingly coming from everywhere. That entire chapter is actually very carefully structured and features some of the best combat in the game, including the tank cat and mouse encounter that was so good they iterated on it in The Last of Us AND the Uncharted 4 E3 demo.

These videos just remind me how much I love verticality in Uncharted games. The reason why I personally think combat in UC games is engaging and enjoyable is that you can so easily move from place to place in combat. Unlike some TPS game which forces you to stay behind cover for a long time, UC games does encourage you to move more often and continuously change strategy of approaching enemies. This design together with good mechanics (like the way you climb anything and shoot from any position) is what makes combat in UC great imo.

Sure, and I can understand why some people would enjoy that. But specifically the main thing that sticks out to me in that video is just how much damage Drake is taking.

If you're suggesting that's the ideal way to play Uncharted, to me that implies that the ideal way of playing Uncharted requires taking a fuck-ton of damage. Which just seems awful to me. And since there are so many enemies scattered everywhere, it's pretty much impossible to complete those encounters without taking a ton of damage.

The best third-person shooters I've played reward caution, aggressiveness, and mobility in mostly equal portions. Uncharted just throws caution to the wind entirely, and what's left is aggressiveness, mobility, and sheer dumb luck with a whole lot of annoying and frustrating deaths and retries along the way.

On hard and crushing it definitely places more emphasis on caution in the equation since drake can't take nearly as much punishment. I guess though you have to see taking damage as not a bad thing? Because that's what regen is for, health becomes a resource to be managed not unlike stamina in the Souls games. If you just play those levels sitting behind cover you're gonna have a bad time and probably get flanked while you're trying to deal with the turrets, or it would just take forever.

Oy, I hate how we have to devolve to hyperbole to describe things on the internet because it's the only way to get heard. It's either, "The best thing ever" or "Absolutely atrociously terrible" for some people.

Nothing about UC3 will convince me it is a great game :). It is on the same tier as Gears and MP3 probably with slightly better encounters but worse aiming.

I think UC2 is better than 3, but not really for reasons having to do with combat. I always thought the combat was solid in both games, but not really "great". I think after reading OP's points that I might appreciate the combat more when I go through them again.

Keihart

Sure, and I can understand why some people would enjoy that. But specifically the main thing that sticks out to me in that video is just how much damage Drake is taking.

If you're suggesting that's the ideal way to play Uncharted, to me that implies that the ideal way of playing Uncharted requires taking a fuck-ton of damage. Which just seems awful to me. And since there are so many enemies scattered everywhere, it's pretty much impossible to complete those encounters without taking a ton of damage.

The best third-person shooters I've played reward caution, aggressiveness, and mobility in mostly equal portions. Uncharted just throws caution to the wind entirely, and what's left is aggressiveness, mobility, and sheer dumb luck with a whole lot of annoying and frustrating deaths and retries along the way.

I can play like that without taking damage on crushing and i'm not that good at aiming, are you really gonna make me buy the HD collection guys :c ?
I guess i'll have to, the need to play the beta MP is creeping up on me

Edit: I found this montage on my favorites, talk about verticallity, it's MP by the way https://youtu.be/NELrMoTLfUg?t=1m40s

Just watching this made me want to pick up the remastered collection right now. I'm hoping there are some good Black Friday deals though.

I'm sure there will be. I think it's around $40 on amazon already.

I can play like that without taking damage on crushing and i'm not that good at aiming, are you really gonna make me buy the HD collection guys :c ?
I guess i'll have to, the need to play the beta MP is creeping up on me

Do itttt

I agree. Critics and a decent amount of people love this franchise. This work also catapulted ND into the stratosphere. It's hard for all of those factors to hold for a everything is great but the gameplay argument.

I agree. Critics and a decent amount of people love this franchise. This work also catapulted ND into the stratosphere. It's hard for all of those factors to hold for a everything is great but the gameplay argument.

For all the production values and stellar presentation, maybe some people have a hard time seeing the faults in the gameplay? Being great in some areas doesn't mean being great in all areas.

It's a content tourism game, game play takes a backseat somewhat to the flashy presentation. But even among what's there, it could be done better. Games like RE4, Gears, and TLoU are miles ahead in terms of TPS gameplay.

GnawtyDog

Banned
For all the production values and stellar presentation, maybe some people have a hard time seeing the faults in the gameplay? Being great in some areas doesn't mean being great in all areas.

It's a content tourism game, game play takes a backseat somewhat to the flashy presentation. But even among what's there, it could be done better. Games like RE4, Gears, and TLoU are miles ahead in terms of TPS gameplay.

How many miles by your estimation? as in specifics.....

The last time people were asked to give specifics with a modicum of objectivity, only MGSV (and TLOU) stood up as "superior", from a list of pretenders. Not to mention those two set out to do different things, and its themes allow for different things as well. You can count them with one hand and have some fingers left. More like regurgitated mysticism rather than anything else.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133171&page=20

correojon

How many miles by your estimation? as in specifics.....

The last time people were asked to give specifics with a modicum of objectivity, only MGSV (and TLOU) stoop up as superior, from a list of pretenders. More mysticism than anything.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1133171&page=20
Another one is Splatoon: the movement options clearly destroy UC and UC´s verticality is a sad joke when compared to the parkour-style-shooting of Splatoon. That is a game where high mobility combat is encouraged (in fact it´s masterfully taught to the player and he learns it naturally in the SP mode) and where you throw yourself out there and can take down a group of enemies without taking a single hit. The combat style explodes in the multiplayer mode where you feel like taking part in a fight with ninjas using paint guns. The Final Boss is widely regarded as one of the best fights ever in any shooter.

The videos showcasing how incredible UC combat is don´t do it any favor, all I could see was that the player was constantly taking damage. If you design your gameplay around forcing the player to put himself into danger you have to give him the necessary tools to work in that scenario or design the level and enemies to work there. In Bayonetta or MGR the player is constantly encouraged to put himself in the line of danger, however he can dodge or parry to turn those situations around into something favorable. I couldn´t see anything like this in the UC videos, just a guy running around towards enemies and using his godly health to endure attacks, not being able to use this in his favor or defend successfully. Then he would hide to recover a bit of health for a moment, thus killing all momentum. The moment where he engaged in a 10 second long fist fight in an open area durign a shooting was just atrocious and felt outright bad. RE6, which is a game I despise, looks like a much better example of movement-based combat when watchin videos of someone who knows how to play it.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Another one is Splatoon: the movement options clearly destroy UC and UC´s verticality is a sad joke when compared to the parkour-style-shooting of Splatoon. That is a game where high mobility combat is encouraged

Quotes a post about specifics, goes off on a tangent about generalities. Destroys Uncharted! Joke!

A breakdown of mechanics will help you illustrate your point. And since you're doing a comparison and you also seem to know about Uncharted (played or significantly watched to form an opinion), talk about Uncharted's mobility options, in combat or otherwise and contrast them.

jg4xchamp

The argument that a lot of people like it would hold no favor either. It's a blatant fallacy, flashy, shallow, but well presented stuff does well in a lot of mediums, video games included.

Keihart

Quotes a post about specifics, goes off on a tangent about generalities. Destroys Uncharted! Joke!

A breakdown of mechanics will help you illustrate your point. And since you're doing a comparison and you also seem to know about Uncharted (played or significantly watched to form an opinion), talk about Uncharted's mobility options, in combat or otherwise and contrast them.

Not only about Uncharted, but in general i can't stand when discussions devolve in vague opinions like, "this is shallow" or "this feels good", etc. Especifics people, compare, and why, i mean, if not then what is the point, It's just like saying "i like this more than this other thing so you are wrong"

correojon

Oversimplifies the quoted post and doesn´t address any of the exposed arguments while at the same time demanding more arguments himself, ends with a one liner expecting that to be valid as a strong point. Two can play this game.

The thread is about how UC´s movement-based combat is the best of the best and you´re saying how only 2 games surpass it. I´ve posted specific details on what I think fails in UC´s movement based-combat, like not giving you any tools to react to enemy fire while forcing you to put yourself in the enemy´s line of fire at the same time (as that is defended as the correct way to play it in this topic).
Another point people are praising about UC is the verticality and I´ve posted another TPS that destroys it in that regard (Splatoon). If you don´t know about it, you can climb any wall in Splatoon as long as you´ve painted it in your color. You can even swim in that wall in any direction (up, down, sideways...you have the full plane of the wall to move however you like). This also includes walls with varying inclinations and slopes. You can stop there to surprise an enemy, or jump out shooting at any momen. And all of this is done seamlessly from moving in the horizontal plane, which means that it comes as second nature for the player after learning the basic mechanics and allows to move in fast ways performing awesome acrobatic stuff. I haven´t seen any TPS, UC included, that comes nearly close to it in this regard. Splatoon maybe closer to a platform-shooter hybrid than to a TPS, that´s how good it´s movement mechanics are.

Also, the swimming mechanic in Splatoon allows for fast travelling through ground. This also replenishes your ammo and, in less extent your health, so the idea of being constantly swimming and moving around is very early embbeded into the player. It´s even the main objective in the main multiplayer mode. Even when playing as a sniper, the most static of all the possible weapon types in the game, the best ones are those who move around constantly using different lines of fire. That is a very good example of how to design an excellent movement-based combat.
All I saw in UC was the player having many flashy different moves, but the whole thing seemed as begin developed separately, like if they first designed the player abbilities and then later added the maps and the enemies with the idea to push combat in a direction, instead of designing around the main concept from the beginning, balancing, scrapping and introducing mechanics along the way.

The whole point of Uncharted combat is to be a fly by the seat of your pants scrappy shooter experience in the mold of adventure serials/movies.
Slightly OT, but unless you are like 75 years old... you probably have not seen an adventure serial.

Rather, "The whole point of Uncharted combat is to be a fly by the seat of your pants scrappy shooter experience in the mold of Indiana Jones."

funo

I have to admit that I only skimmed the thread and read some of the more extreme opinions about this series.

To me, it almost seems like the defenders of the Uncharted combat pick out all the shitty parts and somehow try to turn them around by explaining why they are not shitty.
"enemies are bullet sponges? No! That was intended in oder to make you move around more because they take more damage the closer you are!"

Every game that defines 'difficulty' by the number of enemies it throws at you and the amount of hits they need to die is just a shitty game (well, you get what I mean). While I understand that enemy AI is a very complex and difficult matter I simply cannot accept how many games just throw more enemies at you when you increase the difficulty.

It blows my mind how anyone can possibly say that the Uncharted combat is great.
You usually have a one way level, enemies appear in front of you, you kill them all, more enemies appear, you kill them - suddenly enemiea from behind or a new passage or new door etc and you have to turn around, same level just in the other direction.

I have finished all 3 games multiple times and cannot repeat often enough how much I hate the combat. I loved the level design and the puzzles but whenever I came to an open are with multiple walls/crates/obstacles to hide behind I immediately knew I was in for some shitty game of "let's throw a handful of bulletsponges at the player" on repeat 5 times in a row - and hey, also send in some enemies from behind, where they could have never gotten to in the first place.

More often than not the combat feels like incrediblY boring filler content to lengthen the playtime and string the puzzle sequences together.

Less filler combat, more scripted areas and puzzles plx!

krang

As a spectacle, a piece of entertainment, I've really enjoyed all my time with the Uncharteds. But as games I found them to be a bit laborious, and never felt the need to go back and replay them.

I felt like the controls were too floaty and lacked precision. I've said this before but that may well be down to my utter distaste for the DS3. I'd love to try UC on a DS4 eventually to see if my opinion changes.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I admitted I enjoyed Uncharted more as basically a sight-seeing trip rather than a "proper", TPS game. There's always a part of me that groaned somewhat whenever the games pushed a combat scenario to me since I just want to hurry up to the next story/vista segments.

That abandoned shipyard in UC3 was quite good though, I like it when the game actually let loose like that instead of just confining me in a room with bad guys while making it obvious where I should take cover, etc etc.

Slightly OT, but unless you are like 75 years old... you probably have not seen an adventure serial.

Rather, "The whole point of Uncharted combat is to be a fly by the seat of your pants scrappy shooter experience in the mold of Indiana Jones."

Who hasn't spent a Saturday night watching the classic adventures of Zorro and Flash Gordon, my dude? Check yourself.

I have to admit that I only skimmed the thread and read some of the more extreme opinions about this series.

To me, it almost seems like the defenders of the Uncharted combat pick out all the shitty parts and somehow try to turn them around by explaining why they are not shitty.
"enemies are bullet sponges? No! That was intended in oder to make you move around more because they take more damage the closer you are!"

Every game that defines 'difficulty' by the number of enemies it throws at you and the amount of hits they need to die is just a shitty game (well, you get what I mean). While I understand that enemy AI is a very complex and difficult matter I simply cannot accept how many games just throw more enemies at you when you increase the difficulty.

It blows my mind how anyone can possibly say that the Uncharted combat is great.
You usually have a one way level, enemies appear in front of you, you kill them all, more enemies appear, you kill them - suddenly enemiea from behind or a new passage or new door etc and you have to turn around, same level just in the other direction.

I have finished all 3 games multiple times and cannot repeat often enough how much I hate the combat. I loved the level design and the puzzles but whenever I came to an open are with multiple walls/crates/obstacles to hide behind I immediately knew I was in for some shitty game of "let's throw a handful of bulletsponges at the player" on repeat 5 times in a row - and hey, also send in some enemies from behind, where they could have never gotten to in the first place.

I don't see how what you're doing is any better than explaining what the mechanics do in relation to the game design considering you're saying things that are blatantly untrue. Enemies only appear in front of you and then behind you? Watch any of the gameplay clips I posted and you'll see that Uncharted combat zones are sanboxes where you have total freedom of pathfindinf and enemies are spread out and mobile within those zones. And what are the Uncharted enemies bullet sponges compared to? Halo? Gears of War? Because these enemies go down in a handful of bullets, which you can clearly see if you watched the videos or payed attention while playing the game. They have just enough health to make them not completely trivial.
Oversimplifies the quoted post and doesn´t address any of the exposed arguments while at the same time demanding more arguments himself, ends with a one liner expecting that to be valid as a strong point. Two can play this game.

The thread is about how UC´s movement-based combat is the best of the best and you´re saying how only 2 games surpass it. I´ve posted specific details on what I think fails in UC´s movement based-combat, like not giving you any tools to react to enemy fire while forcing you to put yourself in the enemy´s line of fire at the same time (as that is defended as the correct way to play it in this topic).
Another point people are praising about UC is the verticality and I´ve posted another TPS that destroys it in that regard (Splatoon). If you don´t know about it, you can climb any wall in Splatoon as long as you´ve painted it in your color. You can even swim in that wall in any direction (up, down, sideways...you have the full plane of the wall to move however you like). This also includes walls with varying inclinations and slopes. You can stop there to surprise an enemy, or jump out shooting at any momen. And all of this is done seamlessly from moving in the horizontal plane, which means that it comes as second nature for the player after learning the basic mechanics and allows to move in fast ways performing awesome acrobatic stuff. I haven´t seen any TPS, UC included, that comes nearly close to it in this regard. Splatoon maybe closer to a platform-shooter hybrid than to a TPS, that´s how good it´s movement mechanics are.

Also, the swimming mechanic in Splatoon allows for fast travelling through ground. This also replenishes your ammo and, in less extent your health, so the idea of being constantly swimming and moving around is very early embbeded into the player. It´s even the main objective in the main multiplayer mode. Even when playing as a sniper, the most static of all the possible weapon types in the game, the best ones are those who move around constantly using different lines of fire. That is a very good example of how to design an excellent movement-based combat.
All I saw in UC was the player having many flashy different moves, but the whole thing seemed as begin developed separately, like if they first designed the player abbilities and then later added the maps and the enemies with the idea to push combat in a direction, instead of designing around the main concept from the beginning, balancing, scrapping and introducing mechanics along the way.

So you're saying that Uncharted is a bad TPS because A) you can not dodge bullets and B) you're not as mobile as a cartoon game. Okay...

I never said Uncharted was the MOST mobile game, or the MOST vertical game (although it is mobile and verticle). I broke down the mechanics and explained how they worked and why they were good. Not arbitrarily compare it to other games that have no bearing on the discussion. "Mario has better mobility because he can double jump" is the same as comparing a semi-realistic shooter to character action games and a cartoon platformer/TPS hybrid where you play as a squid person.

The bullet sponge complaint comes from people not being able to articulate exactly what it is they dislike about Uncharted's shooting. And it doesn't really make much sense, really: Resident Evil 4, for example, is widely seen as being a better shooter than Uncharted, but enemies on Professional can take upwards of ten headshots to kill (and don't even think about shooting them in the body).

Uncharted's problem is instead how unexceptional every individual aspect of the combat is. Unexceptional aiming. Unexceptional cover mechanics. Unexceptional enemy variety. Unexceptional enemy hit responses. Etc. It gets nothing wrong, but it gets nothing right. These concepts aren't hugely obvious, but for many people they result in the combat feeling "off" (and this is hardly some niche opinion, or else this thread wouldn't exist). So when pressed on what feels "off", everybody says "bullet sponge", because that seems like a fairly obvious complaint, even if it isn't necessarily true.

I agree with this. The Uncharted games are great at setpiece moments and actually giving you control in those moments you so you fee like a true action hero. The combat segments are passable but they don't do anything extraordinary. The reason the shooting feels lackluster to a lot of people is a combination of many factors like the lack of enemy variety, lack of hit reactions, enemies going into odd looking scripted animations in the middle of being shot, guys in T shirts taking many shots to go down or be interrupted, lack of weapon variety, etc.

Stuff like this just happens constantly in these games and it leaves the combat segments feeling cheap and poorly done:
BpsPW3s.gif

Oxxbm5e.gif

Syw670b.gif

V2qhep0.gif

ryanofcall

I played Uncharted 1/2/3 for the first time with the collection. Generally I found myself lost in a level not knowing where I'm supposed to go way to often. So I wouldn't really say that the level design is very good... Also the combat arenas felt more like "not again..." Than anything I'd actually like to do. I don't know why, but for covering being such a huge aspect of the combat, the covering system is just shit. I died so many times because drake just didn't want do what I intended to do. It got better in 2 and 3 but it's still pretty bad compaired to others. Maybe it just aged really bad. But I feel like f.e. GoW cover mechanics never screwed up and that should be about the same original release window as uncharted 1? (didn't fact check). Also sneaking is just straight forward A JOKE. I doesn't work at all for me.
But to be honest I have similar issues in TLOU, while covering and sneaking is much better, level design wasn't always that good (much better than uncharted though) also the combat system in TLOU doesn't feel "new" or "fresh" it feels like a mash up of some good systems. Which is fine (!!), but not great.

Edit: (obviously I didn't point out any of the things I like about Uncharted)

It's a very good all round game but I don't think it's amazing like many do.

If it wasn't for the fun story, likeable characters and big set pieces, it would be a very average 3rd person shooter. The core mechanics are far from great.

IvorB

Every demo we have ever seen of Uncharted has been on normal, or in fact easy (outside the god-mode demonstrations, where Nate can't die). So I think in terms of the experience Naughtydog want to get across is one with high mobility and dynamic gunfights characteristic only of difficulties below Crushing, and more akin to Normal than Hard.

I'm pretty sure the experience Naughty Dog wanted to get across is the one that ships on the disc which would include all the available difficulty settings. The same high mobility, dynamic gameplay is available across all difficulties.

Can't really agree. I don't find the shooting mechanics to be all that good at all. I am not really a fan of any of the Naughty Dog shooters. Playing them it's pretty obvious the shooting mechanics are not the priority.

nib95

Banned
Stuff like this just happens constantly in these games and it leaves the combat segments feeling cheap and poorly done:
BpsPW3s.gif

Oxxbm5e.gif

Syw670b.gif

V2qhep0.gif

What exactly is supposed to be wrong or cheap in these GIF's? Can you elaborate?

Is it that spray and pray recoil ignoring poor aiming should be more effective than it is in Uncharted? Or that enemies should not be armored, and you should not be incentivised in going for headshots? Or is it that AI that flanks you is actually a bad thing?

goonergaz

The whole point of Uncharted combat is to be a fly by the seat of your pants scrappy shooter experience in the mold of adventure serials/movies. Pressing your luck and surviving overwhelming odds through dynamic play is exactly what the series should be striving for. In reality though, none of the combat in that Uncharted 2 clip is haphazard or sloppy because when you begin that firefight you have a vantage point of the entire arena. It's only because the player pushed into the middle of the fight that bullets were seemingly coming from everywhere. That entire chapter is actually very carefully structured and features some of the best combat in the game, including the tank cat and mouse encounter that was so good they iterated on it in The Last of Us AND the Uncharted 4 E3 demo.

Maybe he hates Indiana Jones for the same reason?

I have all three Uncharted games for the PS3. I got around to playing the first one earlier this year and I just didn't like it. The characters were uninspired, the settings and story were meh, and the gameplay was weak and boring.

I stayed away from the series for a while and I just came back to it, starting Uncharted 2 yesterday. I like it much more so far. At least, in terms of story, visuals, and characters. It feels a lot more interesting and fun so far..but the gameplay could still be much better. I like the environments, platformers, and character interaction but the shooting is still average. Which is a shame for something that's a TPS above all else, but it's still worth playing.

The first one..not so much.

Revven

This gif right here is the example of poor aiming. He misses about 80% of his shots because he's not compensating for recoil of the Micro, let alone does he have the actual hit reticle area aimed on the enemy.

Nevermind the fact that for that enemy if you just walk up to the edge a prompt for a melee jump attack will appear and it will OHKO the enemy letting you proceed forward.

And UC3 is an awful example of anything feedback related to the player, anyway. UC1 and UC2 have actual hit reactions. The only thing those two lack are good gun sounds while 3 has those but lacks the other stuff 1 & 2 have.

None of those things take away from the player's ability to play it how the developers intended, though. You can freely hate how the games lack the perfection of gun feel that TLOU seems to have but the combat itself, the freedom you have in these sandboxes is unarguably good. Maybe not amazing, but definitely not what I would call "poor" (save for some sections in UC3).

funo

[...] Watch any of the gameplay clips I posted and you'll see that Uncharted combat zones are sanboxes where you have total freedom of pathfindinf and enemies are spread out and mobile within those zones. [...]

I honestly think that we're living in 2 completely different worlds and none of us will be able to convince the other of their opinion :)

The UC combat appears to be always constructed with the Fancy Uncharted Combat Construction Kit: (short: F.U.C.C.K.)

1. Constrain the player in a closed-off area with conveniently placed obstacles
2. give them a vague idea of where to go
3. throw multiple enemies at them
3.1 throw in some re-spawning enemies as added bonus
3.2 make enemies stand on/under/above/near conveniently placed explosives to make them die with x-plosionzz
3.3 throw in some conveniently placed weapon upgrades for the player at key locations
4. make those newly spawned enemies (that were not there before, even after you've cleared most of the area) open up new parts of the small and confined combat area
4.1 make sure to make best use of the confined area by sending the player back the way they came
4.2 additional bonus: make enemies spawn from where the player originally came from, regardless of how stupid this might be
5. make the player progress through this newly opened area that was not there before

I've watched your videos and they show what I don't like about the UC combat.
The first video for example (Uncharted 2 combat) perfectly illustrates that the combat is not a sandbox but freaking filler content that one could compare to a "staged cage fight".of sorts

1. you arrive at a combat area (closed-off area, no way out, borders on all sides)
2. you always know where to go because the areas are so constrained and there appeast to be seemingly only one way out
3. multiple enemies spot you and the ONLY way to 'finish' or 'clear' the area is to kill all the enemies, there is usually no way around it
4. as you fight your way through the enemies (you have an elegant playstyle, I must admit) you come to the end of the area at the 1:30min mark and suddenly more enemies magically appear in an area you've already cleaned before and open up another passage, conveniently placing a cover right in front of you
5. you kill them off and (of course) progress the way they come from

Of course the game will trick the player into thinking that every combat situation is "new" and "unique" by throwing in additional variations like fighting in a jungle, on a boat, on a train, on rooftops, versus helicopters etc. but in the end it will always follow the same F.U.C.C.K. principle.

Nevertheless, even though I've hated every second of the combat I've finished all 3 games because I always wanted to know what followed the next atroucious gunfight. For me, there was stilla pretty good game hidden under all the boring shootouts.

I honestly think that we're living in 2 completely different worlds and none of us will be able to convince the other of their opinion :)

The UC combat appears to be always constructed with the Fancy Uncharted Combat Construction Kit: (short: F.U.C.C.K.)

1. Constrain the player in a closed-off area with conveniently placed obstacles
2. give them a vague idea of where to go
3. throw multiple enemies at them
3.1 throw in some re-spawning enemies as added bonus
3.2 make enemies stand on/under/above/near conveniently placed explosives to make them die with x-plosionzz
3.3 throw in some conveniently placed weapon upgrades for the player at key locations
4. make those newly spawned enemies (that were not there before, even after you've cleared most of the area) open up new parts of the small and confined combat area
4.1 make sure to make best use of the confined area by sending the player back the way they came
4.2 additional bonus: make enemies spawn from where the player originally came from, regardless of how stupid this might be
5. make the player progress through this newly opened area that was not there before

I've watched your videos and they show what I don't like about the UC combat.
The first video for example (Uncharted 2 combat) perfectly illustrates that the combat is not a sandbox but freaking filler content that one could compare to a staged care fight.

1. you arrive at a combat area (closed-off area, no way out, borders on all sides)
2. you always know where to go because the areas are so constrained and there appeast to be seemingly only one way out
3. multiple enemies spot you and the ONLY way to 'finish' or 'clear' the area is to kill all the enemies, there is usually no way around it
4. as you fight your way through the enemies (you have an elegant playstyle, I must admit) you come to the end of the area at the 1:30min mark and suddenly more enemies magically appear in an area you've already cleaned before and open up another passage, conveniently placing a cover right in front of you

Of course the game will trick the player into thinking that every combat situation is "new" and "unique" by throwing in additional variations like fighting in a jungle, on a boat, on a train, on rooftops, versus helicopters etc. but in the end it will always follow the same F.U.C.C.K. principle.

Nevertheless, even though I've hated every second of the combat I've finished all 3 games because I always wanted to know what followed the next atroucious gunfight. For me, there was stilla pretty good game hidden under all the boring shootouts.

I feel like a lot of those complaints can be leveled at any linear shooter game though. You have to funnel the player somewhat while still offering freedom, so you give them confined sandboxes (and it is a well designed sanbox fight, not "filler", since you can clear that stage any numer of ways) with a clear path of where to go next, not an open world for them to bumble around in. Also, not every encounter in the games are arena based. 2 really does not have much reliance on waves either. The place where new enemies came from at the end of the clip in 2 were not from a place I cleared, and regardless I'm not sure why introducing new enemies (especially from a place where enemies can come from) to make the combat space feel more dynamic is a bad thing. The way you think you're supposed to go changes after the explosion and you are put on your toes and have to deal with a new threat. There are also many encounters in the game you can beat by either stealthing or engaging in a shootout.

There are some explosives near enemies, but the enemies move dynamically so they're not always next to them. It's not like tomb raider where it's "giant red explosive barrels next to every spawn point". And yeah, there are power weapons and ammo placed around the map. It's good design because it forces you to play aggressive and take ground if you want access to them. Otherwise you will sit behind cover and run out of ammo.

I agree with this. The Uncharted games are great at setpiece moments and actually giving you control in those moments you so you fee like a true action hero. The combat segments are passable but they don't do anything extraordinary. The reason the shooting feels lackluster to a lot of people is a combination of many factors like the lack of enemy variety, lack of hit reactions, enemies going into odd looking scripted animations in the middle of being shot, guys in T shirts taking many shots to go down or be interrupted, lack of weapon variety, etc.

BpsPW3s.gif

Oxxbm5e.gif

Syw670b.gif

V2qhep0.gif

I'm really sorry , but all i'm seeing is :
1) Bad aiming , the bullet clearly go to the left side of the ennemy, as a result , your'in a bad position to receive another ennemy that went too close
2) An armored ennemy. instead of shooting the face , and then go for the headshot, you're trying to wear the protection( bad move ) and you're not targetting the obvious green explosive thing that is passing just in front of him ( Bad move )
3)The first burst totally misses the ennemy ( almost no damage ) , and then the second burst kill him quickly as intended ..( that gif actually proves that ennemies do go down very fast when you aim at them )
4) A boss encounter with an armored ennemy that is meant to not go in only a few hit , a special case in the entire game

yeah no .. Those gifs don't help your case.

I don't think you are using the right gifs if you want to prove enemies in UC are bullet sponges. If there's anything that makes you think they are bullet spongy, it's the lack of hit reaction that you earlier mentioned.

And they're all gifs from Uncharted 3 which is the only one that suffers from a lack of good hit reactions

IvorB

You act like combat arenas are something unique to Uncharted and you also ignore all the shooting set pieces the series is famous for. Also I really can't fathom why anyone would play through not one, but three TPS games when they hate the shooting so much. I also can't believe that I'm getting sucked into this never-ending, fruitless debate again.

Synth

I don't think you are using the right gifs if you want to prove enemies in UC are bullet sponges. If there's anything that makes you think they are bullet spongy, it's the lack of hit reaction that you earlier mentioned.

His post isn't claiming that they're bullet sponges though. His post is even in agreement to someone stating that some people use the term bullet-sponge erroneously to describe factors that they're struggling to convey. In the first gif, and the last gif there, the player would be expected to see hits register, but the lack of feedback causes the enemy to appear to simply "absorb" the shots as it goes about its own attack routine. Even if they both were to die with the very next shot, plenty of players will already have the subconscious impression that the enemy has some unjust partial immunity to the shots they fired. Having armor is not a valid reason for the enemy appearing to have iframes, especially if this behaviour isn't consistent (as in the second gif).

I don't think you can separate these things out and claim that combat is "inarguably good" (not your words I know.. someone else said it), simply because the game still functions without falling apart. Something like SiN Episodes' combat would be inarguably good alongside the Halos and Destinys of the world if these things were inconsequential, or Remember Me compared with the Arkham games. You can make highly detailed posts extolling the mechanics of almost any game, claiming that it's all great if the person "plays it as intended"... but playing it as intended is something that the designers should have created the game to draw out of the player, rather than something someone should be posting on a message board to try an convince people to try, after they've already beaten numerous instalments of the games, probably multiple times. This is something I feel Uncharted does very poorly as a mobile player receives consistent negative reinforcement basically every time they are out of cover. The game throws up the standard blood-splattered, color-fading, audio-filtering, focus-reducing effects employed by practically every shooter in existence to warn the player "you are being shot, you're doing it wrong, this is to be avoided or you'll die"... and sure enough, they will if an extra stray bullet or two finds them in this state. So they become trained to avoid the state that's shown to preclude this failure... which happens to be remaining safely in cover.

@Fancy Clown. I've watched your vids. I have quite a bit that I'd like to comment on in regards to them, but don't have time right now to give a proper response that doesn't doesn't overly simplify what I'd like to say. I'll try to get back to this thread later, but thanks for posting them.

IvorB

His post isn't claiming that they're bullet sponges though. His post is even in agreement to someone stating that some people use the term bullet-sponge erroneously to describe factors that they're struggling to convey. In the first gif, and the last gif there, the player would be expected to see hits register, but the lack of feedback causes the enemy to appear to simply "absorb" the shots as it goes about its own attack routine. Even if they both were to die with the very next shot, plenty of players will already have the subconscious impression that the enemy has some unjust partial immunity to the shots they fired. Having armor is not a valid reason for the enemy appearing to have iframes, especially if this behaviour isn't consistent (as in the second gif).

I don't think you can separate these things out and claim that combat is "inarguably good" (not your words I know.. someone else said it), simply because the game still functions without falling apart. Something like SiN Episodes' combat would be inarguably good alongside the Halos and Destinys of the world if these things were inconsequential, or Remember Me compared with the Arkham games. You can make highly detailed posts extolling the mechanics of almost any game, claiming that it's all great if the person "plays it as intended"... but playing it as intended is something that the designers should have created the game to draw out of the player, rather than something someone should be posting on a message board to try an convince people to try, after they've already beaten numerous instalments of the games, probably multiple times. This is something I feel Uncharted does very poorly as a mobile player receives consistent negative reinforcement basically every time they are out of cover. The game throws up the standard blood-splattered, color-fading, audio-filtering, focus-reducing effects employed by practically every shooter in existence to warn the player "you are being shot, you're doing it wrong, this is to be avoided or you'll die"... and sure enough, they will if an extra stray bullet or two finds them in this state. So they become trained to avoid the state that's shown to preclude this failure... which happens to be remaining safely in cover.

But this is what I don't get. If you try and turtle behind cover the enemies flank you, grenade you or those armoured dudes advance on your position so I really have no idea how people are even doing that. Unless on normal such a thing is possible. Maybe the games could do a better job of teaching people how to use the skills they have available since it seems many people have missed it. To me it was readily apparent from the very first game how I should approach the shooting and I find it so refreshing. I find turtling behind cover so boring.

Synth

But this is what I don't get. If you try and turtle behind cover the enemies flank you, grenade you or those armoured dudes advance on your position so I really have no idea how people are even doing that. Unless on normal such a thing is possible. Maybe the games could do a better job of teaching people how to use the skills they have available since it seems many people have missed it. To me it was readily apparent from the very first game how I should approach the shooting and I find it so refreshing. I find turtling behind cover so boring.

I haven't done a full playthrough of either game on anything above Normal, so I'm not entirely qualified to discuss the higher difficulties at length. I did however play the first 5 stages of Drake Fortune on hard a short while back (PS3 version) as a response to a post BruceLeeroy had made stating that in no encounter can a person simply sit behind cover for an entire battle in any Uncharted game. I was successful in remaining behind the first available cover in every battle, changing cover only to avoid a grenade toss (and reverting back to it the next time a grenade came). The only times I was forced to move any further would be when a new wave was introduced (such as them now spawning from my entry point, so I took cover on the other side of the arena). The flanking wasn't typically an issue, as your starting position is generally one of the safest places to survey the area.. so you can concentrate much of your fire to one side, and then just kill the other approaching enemies at closer range. The flanking actually appeared to be far more effective when you moved about, as it removes much of the predictability from the enemies movements as they start to reorient themselves to account for the new variables you're voluntarily introducing.

As I've said though, this is only what I tried in the early areas of the first game, so possibly is less effective in UC2, or even later areas of UC1 on Hard. However there seems to be much disagreement in regards to the optimal difficulty for the game to be enjoyable, with some (such as Fancy Clown) stating that higher difficulty levels erode your freedom for movement, whilst others are saying that the higher difficulties are required for the enemies to draw the adaption out of the player. From my experience, yes Normal (and Easy) makes it pretty simple to win most battles comfortably with very little motion... but it's also where this more dynamic playstyle is more consistently sustainable. On Normal you have a lot more leeway in terms of tanking damage whilst running about and melee'ing people. However, the difference with these two playstyles, is that the more reserved approach results in me basically never even sniffing death even on the first attempt at most battles. This makes it logically the more sound approach to take at higher difficulties, as those "near death" situations that occur far more frequently when running around (and occur numerous times in Fancy Clown's videos) become increasing more likely to actually become deaths as the enemies do more damage to you at higher levels of difficulty.

pastrami

This is something I feel Uncharted does very poorly as a mobile player receives consistent negative reinforcement basically every time they are out of cover. The game throws up the standard blood-splattered, color-fading, audio-filtering, focus-reducing effects employed by practically every shooter in existence to warn the player "you are being shot, you're doing it wrong, this is to be avoided or you'll die"... and sure enough, they will if an extra stray bullet or two finds them in this state. So they become trained to avoid the state that's shown to preclude this failure... which happens to be remaining safely in cover.

This must be why no one uses the swords in Halo, right? Get out of cover, get shot, shield effects and low shield beeping must train people that hey, you shouldn't use the sword because you get hurt.

I'm curious to know what games you think do it right, and how it differs from anything Uncharted is really doing.

Synth

This must be why no one uses the swords in Halo, right? Get out of cover, get shot, shield effects and low shield beeping must train people that hey, you shouldn't use the sword because you get hurt.

I'm curious to think what games you think do it right, and how it differs from anything Uncharted is really doing.

To be fair... I basically never do use sword in Halo to combat anything other than The Flood, and even that's mostly because The Flood typically represent a "forced movement" scenario where you're pretty much forced to run and gun the entire time you're engaged with them (and I'd typically take a shotgun instead if I have a choice).

Resident Evil and Vanquish are two examples of TPS games that I'd say get this right. In both cases movement around the arena is basically a prerequisite to survival, and the player is basically never given any feedback to suggest that this movement is the wrong thing to be doing. It's typically a lot easier for FPS games to manage as they tend to not to have dominant cover mechanics... which is honestly usually what causes this approach. In order to train the player to constantly leave cover pretty much requires that you make the player's traversal options at least as favourable as the cover is. Vanquish does this in many. many ways... from the speed to the movement itself, to the locations on the enemies if expects you to attack, to the speeds that the enemy can approach you current position, to how melee combat is handled (it actually gives you an immediate upper-hand against surrounding enemies in Vanquish, versus locking you into a long drawn out animation, whilst everyone around to is free to shoot at your now defenseless state). These two games give me constant negative reinforcement when I try to remain stationary, whilst Uncharted gives me that negative reinforcement when I move.

Game4life

Banned
To be fair... I basically never do use sword in Halo to combat anything other than The Flood, and even that's mostly because The Flood typically represent a "forced movement" scenario where you're pretty much forced to run and gun the entire time you're engaged with them (and I'd typically take a shotgun instead if I have a choice).

Resident Evil and Vanquish are two examples of TPS games that I'd say get this right. In both cases movement around the arena is basically a prerequisite to survival, and the player is basically never given any feedback to suggest that this movement is the wrong thing to be doing. It's typically a lot easier for FPS games to manage as they tend to not to have dominant cover mechanics... which is honestly usually what causes this approach. In order to train the player to constantly leave cover pretty much requires that you make the player's traversal options at least as favourable as the cover is. Vanquish does this in many. many ways... from the speed to the movement itself, to the locations on the enemies if expects you to attack, to the speeds that the enemy can approach you current position, to how melee combat is handled (it actually gives you an immediate upper-hand against surrounding enemies in Vanquish, versus locking you into a long drawn out animation, whilst everyone around to is free to shoot at your now defenseless state). These two games give me constant negative reinforcement when I try to remain stationary, whilst Uncharted gives me that negative reinforcement when I move.

Vanquish is a horrible example because you can basically slide from cover to cover and take out the enemy without requiring to use any of the fancy mechanics ( slide on to enemy backflip in slo mo for a shot, bullet time etc..) It is a textbook example of a game in which you as the player are responsible for how much fun you want to have in an arena. There is no requirement at all to use every mechanic to clear the stage. Eitherways I have no problems with that kind of design which is why I love Uncharted as well.

It is a far better option to have than say Max Payne and Gears where the level design and the absolutely limiting and bog standard mechanics that they have don't encourage the player to have fun in any way he or she feels fit. In fact Gears is a perfect example of a game where you can only move from cover to cover and shoot and clear everything with ease because the mechanics don't offer anything else.

GnawtyDog

Banned
There was nothing of substance said in the original post other than you addressing some player videos with your opinion of what it means. That I think should of been addressed to that specific poster if he so wishes to discuss it with you. It's after all his personal approach to those encounters. It usually plays out different from player to player even if the approach is the same. So, when it came to the comparison you made, which is the reason you quoted my post, you were vague. I simply asked for depth since you used hyperbole to add punch to your statement, not to mention, you talked in generalities. If you get upset that's your problem. So, no, you're not "playing this game", just whining from my pov. You could of ignored the post altogether like To Far Away Times. No problem with that. So if you're going to respond, no need for the whining imo.

The thread is about how UC´s movement-based combat is the best of the best and you´re saying how only 2 games surpass it.

This thread is about Uncharted having great gameplay, and movement being a key pillar to its combat. All aspects of Uncharted combat come together best with player mobility, helped by level design, encounter design and enemy A.I. The premise of it being the best of everything is kind of a strawman argument.

The game is one of the very best at giving you options in combat. In that sense, there are two TPS that are at least on par, if not better - that I can think of, or that the case is strong enough. Even then you always have to take into consideration the things the games set out to do for proper comparisons. One is a military shooter, the other is survival horror, grounded. Uncharted is pulpy action, grounded. Some mechanics in games are limited by what the game is. Having the ability to swim in paint goo (a gameplay mechanic) doesn't fit the world of Uncharted, TLOU or MGS5 for example.

I´ve posted specific details on what I think fails in UC´s movement based-combat, like not giving you any tools to react to enemy fire while forcing you to put yourself in the enemy´s line of fire at the same time (as that is defended as the correct way to play it in this topic).

It does give you tools. The first being environment cover (standard TPS cover, walls, or vertical structures). Verticality in specific allows for player re-positioning when pinned down in specific covers by incoming fire.

The second is too damn obvious, the weapons (pistols, power-weapons, grenades) that a player uses to defend himself (and when in movement, it's running hip-fire, which not many shooters have). One of those "weapons" are riot shields you can pick-up when present. These riot shields dropped by riot shield enemies (in certain encounters -not all) allow you to avoid all incoming fire in your line of sight - and also allow you to shoot with your pistol as you crouch-walk towards incoming fire.

Lastly, when in close quarters, melee.

So the argument is very cloudy in the sense that you're saying the game doesn't give you tools when a player charges at incoming fire like a bull. Well duh, unless you're asking for bullets to disappear why wouldn't point-blank fire follow its path (the player in this case)? Nate is not a Jedi-superhero with force shields or anything of that sort.

A player can use riot shields when available and when not; use the environment and player judgement to tackle the area. Players like OP have a sense for bullet damage by enemies. Said player can judge by himself whether charging at an enemy in a certain distance will result in a player getting downed or not. It's a risk vs. reward judgment. The risk is getting shot, the reward is taking out an enemy with melee and not losing many bullets and/or gaining better position as a result of x enemy at x position being down. Running hip-fire does neutralize enemy fire, but if multiple enemies are shooting, you're bound to only neutralize one. Verticality, running stamina and the environment help this by giving the player easy temporary cover as a getaway. It's a risk vs. reward proposition. The rewards are usually great from my experience provided you use sound judgment. Sometimes that judgment is not 100% correct but with practice, anyone can improve to a level of comfort. Uncharted MP is usually a great place to get good at this. I mean, you'll not be good at Uncharted MP playing with a Gears mentality, that's just a BIG FACT. The SP is less punishing.

The best way to play the game is to be in constant movement and use the many mechanics in the game at your disposal towards achieving your objective. It's in no way limiting of what Uncharted combat can be, or must be to every single individual there is. If a person chooses to play Uncharted SP like Gears, they can do so. If someone chooses to play Uncharted like OP, they can do so. If someone is more stealth oriented there are levels that can be done "fully on stealth" if practiced enough - and there are videos out there to show it, the UCollection OT has a gaffer with some. The game will however push for mobility using enemy NPC's on most situations (melee rushers, armored shotgun npcs, snipers at elevated positions, ninja chokers etc). You can still play the game using your favorite playstyle and it's not intrusive enough to disrupt preference but it's intrusive to the point of encouragement (and some levels can't be completed without constant movement, specially set-pieces).

First, this is like comparing an Indiana Jones movie to a Pixar movie - apple and oranges on what the games are trying to do. I say that in the sense that the premise of one game is based on a mechanic that allows you to swim/disappear under the floor of any type of wall, floor or structure that's available - tailored for this specific purpose (usually most of the combat arena). Not to mention, you give specifics about Splatoon but not Uncharted. That's not how you contrast.

In Uncharted a squid/kid hybrid doesn't disappear/swim to paint goo on the floor. In Uncharted, a human character walks, run, climbs, jumps, takes cover, swims,like a human being. It's a grounded game (that still pushes video-game make-believe nonsense but in a grounded way). Splatoon is open-canvas fantasy.

So if you're saying that you're "more" mobile in Splatoon due to the ability to disappear (swim as it's called) into paint goo and move on walls then you're perhaps correct. It's however not necessarily better because in a game like Uncharted the character is not trying to disappear into the ground, but walk, run, climb, and swim.

It's a nonsensical argument any way you spin it.

The best Uncharted players in Uncharted multiplayer are those that move constantly and use movement as a tool - news at 11. Granted I'm sure you've no idea of what UC MP is if you think this is an argument that helps your case vs. the alternative. That sniper behavior that you specifically cite = "non-campers are the best". Well that's surprising /s. Same in Uncharted - if a sniper doesn't move and happens to cause enough havoc to be noticed, he's dead - simple as that. Specially in Uncharted of all shooters - avoiding snipers and outflanking them using the environment is extremely easy.

This is like a lot of nothing? Your argument is not clear. What abilities are you talking about? Flashy moves? What balancing needs to be adjusted, scrapped or reintroduced? Extremely vague and all over the place. This more of a blanket statement than a point of contention.

And it appears you've never played Uncharted and you have based a lot of nonsensical arguments on OP's video and pushing it through cause? but....DESTROYS! JOKE!

I'm not going to say that you shouldn't have an opinion but you don't seem like the most informed chap on the subject and the overall argument is poor. Specially the one that makes Splatoon a "better TPS" than Uncharted because of the paint goo mechanic. I mean subjectively you can have that opinion, as in, you enjoy it more, but objectively the games are different enough and do different things that comparisons are hardly possible. I mean even if you go the checklist route, as in combat options, you'll fall short most likely.

Include me on Team Shit Combat.

Worst thing about the series.

The last of us was so much better because they had way less shootouts with way less bullet spongey dudes. I was able to stealth my way through and enjoy it. (Except the last part had too much shooting)

Actually in TLOU, you can stealth you way through the last combat area (both floors in the hospital) without killing anyone (other than the doctor)

Synth

Vanquish is a horrible example because you can basically slide from cover to cover and take out the enemy without requiring to use any of the fancy mechanics ( slide on to enemy backflip in slo mo for a shot, bullet time etc..) It is a textbook example of a game in which you as the player are responsible for how much fun you want to have in an arena. There is no requirement at all to use every mechanic to clear the stage. Eitherways I have no problems with that kind of design which is why I love Uncharted as well.

It is a far better option to have than say Max Payne and Gears where the level design and the absolutely limiting and bog standard mechanics that they have don't encourage the player to have fun in any way he or she feels fit. In fact Gears is a perfect example of a game where you can only move from cover to cover and shoot and clear everything with ease because the mechanics don't offer anything else.

I'm not saying that you have to use every mechanic to complete a stage, but movement itself is core to the game, and is increasingly required as difficulty increases... because it's actually a much safer course of action than remaining where you are. The enemies struggle far more to shoot you in motion than they typically do when you're in cover (with quite a few simply firing straight through it). You're also crippled offensively by it, as one of the games most powerful features (slo-mo) is only granted to the player when they're in motion. In Vanquish, you don't leave cover only to immediate be greeted with an increasingly greying screen, your character's movement options significantly trump your enemies abilities to shoot you.. cause the player to naturally be compelled to take such an action, especially as one of the game's key offensive abilities becomes available only once you're in motion.

You may notice that I didn't list Gears of Max Payne as games that encourage player movement, so I don't need to say anything about them. Gears I feel mostly similar to Uncharted about, and Max Payne 3 I haven't even played.

It's fine for you to like Uncharted's approach to combat. I'm arguing against the idea that those that rely a lot on the cover mechanics are playing the game wrong, and running around soaking up damage is a superior method of play. It just seems significantly more likely to end with you dying (which actually was the case in one of the OPs two videos.. on Normal no less), and the game constantly give cues that lead players to avoid playing it that way. This is not at all true of Vanquish (or Resident Evil) at any level of difficulty.

It's fine for you to like Uncharted's approach to combat. I'm arguing against the idea that those that rely a lot on the cover mechanics are playing the game wrong, and running around soaking up damage is a superior method of play. It just seems significantly more likely to end with you dying (which actually was the case in one of the OPs two videos.. on Normal no less), and the game constantly give cues that lead players to avoid playing it that way. This is not at all true of Vanquish (or Resident Evil) at any level of difficulty.

The level in which I died on (the ship graveyard) is one where you are without a doubt more likely to die in if you remain in cover the entire time due to the openness of the level and enemies aggressive flanking (as you can see, towards the end when I was in cover I didn't pay attention to my left and ended up getting flanked and into the water by the armored enemy).

I almost died in the clip from 2 when I got sloppy and didn't notice a new enemy got on the turret. But, had I not been mobile in that fight I would have A) not gotten the RPG to take out the turret the first time B) Not gotten grenades and ammo refill from rushing the enemies below me C) Not gotten a hight advantage on the last few enemies which allowed me to kill them at no risk to myself rather than engage them from the ground in a protracted stop and pop gunfight where I'd have to sit behind cover and let my health recharge.

I think the difference between how you see the mobility in Uncharted and how I do, is how we view the health mechanic. You see it as negative feedback, whereas I see it as a resource to be expended in a risk/reward situation. Yeah, you get a graying screen which shows you how close you are to death, but that's just a more obvious manner to show how close you are to "emptying" your health, and how close it is to recharging. Because it does recharge, it allows you to judge the risk of running into battle to take advantageous positions without any permanent cost. Recharging health is a resource to be expended, whereas if it had finite health it would be something to be conserved. So you could judge that the reward isn't great enough to risk fully depleting your health in a situation, or, as I did frequently in the videos I felt that I could expend some of my health for an advantage in the field of combat that I wouldn't have gotten by remaining stationary behind cover.

Arttemis

What exactly is supposed to be wrong or cheap in these GIF's? Can you elaborate?

Is it that spray and pray recoil ignoring poor aiming should be more effective than it is in Uncharted? Or that enemies should not be armored, and you should not be incentivised in going for headshots? Or is it that AI that flanks you is actually a bad thing?

Is this a joke?

GnawtyDog

Banned
I'm not saying that you have to use every mechanic to complete a stage, but movement itself is core to the game, and is increasingly required as difficulty increases... because it's actually a much safer course of action than remaining where you are. The enemies struggle far more to shoot you in motion than they typically do when you're in cover (with quite a few simply firing straight through it).

Movement is core to Uncharted too, to suggest otherwise, or imply is baloney. I don't even have to mention set pieces which are too "in your face obvious". Lets take the ever popular shipyard, or the desert, borneo etc...As for the MP side of things, I mean...wow there...

In Uncharted the enemies in certain scenarios will be cleared faster if you move around, if you engage in melee, if you initially approach the encounter as stealthy as possible, getting as many stealth takedowns as possible before drawing attention. Sitting behind cover exclusively is a recipe for death. Sure you can beat certain sections using cover exclusively but so can you in Vanquish and the overwhelming majority of cover shooters. So, the premise of "achieving your objective easier" through the use of movement and other combat mechanics holds true for Uncharted too. The enemies in Uncharted will "struggle" to pin you down and kill you if you constantly move and make use of the environment to your benefit (better vantage points, quick melee kills) aka -pick them apart.

The point is moot.

You're also crippled offensively by it, as one of the games most powerful features (slo-mo) is only granted to the player when they're in motion.

You're usually wasting the all powerful™ melee in Uncharted if you stay behind cover exclusively. Moot. Not to mention failing to replenish ammo or picking power-weapons can and will result in your death if you exclusively stay behind cover shooting to your clip's end. All it takes is a decent size wave of enemies with armored grunts.

In Vanquish, you don't leave cover only to immediate be greeted with an increasingly greying screen, you character's movement options significantly trump your enemies abilities to shoot you.. cause the player to naturally be compelled to take such an action, especially as one of the game's key offensive abilities becomes available only once you're in motion.

This is correct vs. certain enemies, not all. Just like running (not walking) out of pinned down cover is preferable when facing melee rushers, chokers, snipers, riot shield enemies, or a big enough wave of grunts in Uncharted. Moot.

It's fine for you to like Uncharted's approach to combat. I'm arguing against the idea that those that rely a lot on the cover mechanics are playing the game wrong,

It's not wrong, players can play with their preferred playstyle. Cherish the ability to have it as a sound alternative. It's just NOT optimal. MP makes it even more obvious than SP since the human mind can process alternatives to draw you out of cover with an exactitude and speed normal A.I naturally does not. If you don't want to be an easy kill, you know you better move in MP.

Running around soaking up damage is a superior method of play. It just seems significantly more likely to end with you dying

That's a simplistic way to put it. It's a risk vs. reward proposition. Sometimes movement out of cover is inevitable because the alternative is death. How much a player decides to engage in such practice around a combat arena and engage in point-blank combat is up to each individual player and by how much the game allows with certain NPCs. Taking one or two pistol shots by a low grunt is not the same as taking a flurry of shots by an NPC with an assault rifle. One is safer than the other if rushing melee - the greater the distance from the target the more prone you're to death. Melee rushers, armored shotgun grunts, chokers, elevated snipers....they will make you move. Too many scenarios, too many variables. Not to mention that movement out of cover in Uncharted is not exclusively /= to getting shot.

Top Bottom