• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
McBacon said:
The Prey demo is amazingly awesome. The rest of the game never matched it.
Yeah, I played through the demo like 10 times.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Revolutionary said:
Blah. You got me excited for a second...

Uncharted has been Greatest Hits in Europe for some time now.

It's yet to be made GH here in NA just yet... but as I said, hopefully the fact that it's depleting in stock left and right is a sign that it's going to be made GH soon.
I dunno man, you should be able to find it for 30 bucks no problem. Especially since it's about to be GH, lots of stores drop the prices anyhow before it hits platinum. Personally I think the cases are ugly as sin and would never buy them. But if you don't mind I guess you can wait.

I always bought my games for platinum prices just before they hit platinum on PS2, and now PS3. Maybe it's something in the US that I don't know of but over here it's pretty common.

RpgN

Just finished the game within 11 hours with 40 treasures and 360 points...It's probably one of the best games I have played. Definitely on the ps3 and definitely the most polished game of all. I don't see many developers topping this baby. I believe in naughtygods and in kittonwy. Bring on the sequel!

Though I'll play with this many more times.

Kittonwy

Banned
RpgN said:
Just finished the game within 11 hours with 40 treasures and 360 points...It's probably one of the best games I have played. Definitely on the ps3 and definitely the most polished game of all. I don't see many developers topping this baby. I believe in naughtygods and in kittonwy. Bring on the sequel!

gladtomeetya.gif

AKS

RpgN said:

MGS4 and Ratchet are also extraordinarily polished games, and I expect GT5 will be as well whenever it finally appears. I absolutely agree that Uncharted is fabulous, however.

I think my top 5 this generation would currently be:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. Uncharted
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. The Orange Box

Not bad at all, and the sequel is going to be one of the most technically impressive if they can just take care of that tearing issue (grossly exaggerated in severity on this board, but it is one of the few things that could use some improvement). Maybe provide upscaled 1080p resolution option, too.

RpgN

Kittonwy said:

I'm glad you're happy. If it weren't for you I might have never played the game. Good job.

AKS said:
MGS4 and Ratchet are also extraordinarily polished games, and I expect GT5 will be as well whenever it finally appears. I absolutely agree that Uncharted is fabulous, however.

I think my top 5 this generation would currently be:

1. Metal Gear Solid 4
2. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
3. Uncharted
4. Super Mario Galaxy
5. The Orange Box

Not bad at all, and the sequel is going to be one of the most technically impressive if they can just take care of that tearing issue (grossly exaggerated in severity on this board, but it is one of the few things that could use some improvement). Maybe provide upscaled 1080p resolution option, too.

Sadly I haven't played much of MGS4 yet. Just a small part thanks to my brother. This one also looks like good polished game too. As for Ratchet and Clank TOD, it's a very fun game but isn't polished IMO. Graphics could have used more work, camera gets annoying sometimes and the fights get repitive sometimes too. Though those are very minor issues, I don't regard Ratchet and Clank TOD as high as Uncharted. Uncharted is perfect in everything, there isn't anything I wish to improve on it.

Nice list, you have a good taste I see.

We will get a sequel for sure, right?

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
The game has tearing? I honestly never notice dit once during my playtrough .. eh, whatev

One of my favorite games this generation. I started slow, took me 2 weeks to get to the 6th chapter, but last Saturday I went full steam ahead and finished the rest of the chapters in one sitting, it was awesome!

Sad thing about this game is that exposure was shit. I work at a games studio and a lot of my friends hadnt heard much about it/

womfalcs3

Banned
Raging Spaniard said:
The game has tearing? I honestly never notice dit once during my playtrough .. eh, whatev

One of my favorite games this generation. I started slow, took me 2 weeks to get to the 6th chapter, but last Saturday I went full steam ahead and finished the rest of the chapters in one sitting, it was awesome!

Sad thing about this game is that exposure was shit. I work at a games studio and a lot of my friends hadnt heard much about it/

Sony had a pretty sizable TV marketing campaign.

I still find many people who haven't heard of it. Same with Resistance actually. Nobody in a class I was taking last semester had heard of Resistance. We were discussing Halo 3 at the time.

Yixian

Banned
womfalcs3 said:
Sony had a pretty sizable TV marketing campaign.

I still find many people who haven't heard of it. Same with Resistance actually. Nobody in a class I was taking last semester had heard of Resistance. We were discussing Halo 3 at the time.

In the UK at least, Microsoft's 360 marketing is pretty huge, when people want to cite an example of a game's console, they say "a 360" not "a PS3". All of M$s big titles are seen regularly advertised on TV.

Sony on the other hand is either not marketing enough or I'm just coincidentally missing practically all of it. I've seen maybe 4 PS3 ads ever; I see that many 360 ads in a fortnight.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I got one more trophy to go till Platinum............ just so happens to be the Crushing one :( , im up to chapter 5 now but i gets the feeling its not gonna be fun, there some real "bull fucking shit" going on when getting killed when being behind cover.

Fady K

RpgN said:

:D What a coincidence, I finished it yesterday! The game on the "Crushing" difficulty is FRUSTRATING! How did many of you great GAFfers pull it off =(

Fady K

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
I got one more trophy to go till Platinum............ just so happens to be the Crushing one :( , im up to chapter 5 now but i gets the feeling its not gonna be fun, there some real "bull fucking shit" going on when getting killed when being behind cover.

YES. Im in chapter 6 and im getting my ass HANDED TO ME.

DrPirate

Banned
New member here, but I've been following this thread since its inception and would just like to add my love:

I got it on launch day and it was one of my favorite games of 2007.

Pulled it back out when the trophies came out and got the platinum in under 24 hours after they were released. I even went so far as to e-mail naughty dog and thanked them for the game because, while I've ben a fan of their games since Crash and Jak, this one left a remarkable impression on me. I even got back so e-mails from devs who said that fans are the reason they love making games and it was nice to get that back from them.

Anyways, can't wait for a sequel and once again: I loved this game and I think it's going to be a killer series.

SSM25

In my experience Crushing multiplied my enjoyment of the game.

conman

SSM25 said:
Very much so. After beating the game on Crushing, I went back to Easy to unlock some trophies (survivor, etc.).

I noticed that not only could you take more hits on Easy, but the enemy AI is totally different! On Crushing they're much more likely to flank, charge, and dodge. They also rarely miss you, even if just an edge of your body is peeking out from behind cover. I also found (but could be imagining) that your blind aiming is less consistent on Crushing than on Easy.

Regardless, on Crushing this is a totally different game. It's incredibly fair, but it's also incredibly challenging.

Just got my Platinum yesterday. Game just gets better on each play-through (that was time number three for me). Very well paced. Very well executed shooting mechanics. And it all looks and sounds gorgeous. It may not be my favorite game this gen, but it's definitely the most polished game this gen.

RpgN

Fady K said:
:D What a coincidence, I finished it yesterday! The game on the "Crushing" difficulty is FRUSTRATING! How did many of you great GAFfers pull it off =(

Indeed! Though I finished it for the first time on normal. I might play hard and Crushing sometime after I beat some dozen games first, like Fahrenheit :D

conman said:
Just got my Platinum yesterday. Game just gets better on each play-through (that was time number three for me). Very well paced. Very well executed shooting mechanics. And it all looks and sounds gorgeous. It may not be my favorite game this gen, but it's definitely the most polished game this gen.

We think alike :D I don't see many older gen games polished as well for that matter besides a few.

Fady K

RpgN said:
Indeed! Though I finished it for the first time on normal. I might play hard and Crushing sometime after I beat some dozen games first, like Fahrenheit :D

We think alike :D I don't see many older gen games polished as well for that matter besides a few.

Fahrenheit huh? Good stuff! Was a good and different game! The story certainly could have been better, but it was a *very* fresh experience.

DrXym

Fady K said:

The strange thing is that levels that don't even register on easier settings can be fucking difficult on crushing. On easier levels my major hate levels were the catacombs and the custom house battles. On crushing, even innocuous battles can be extremely hard.

My general strategy on crushing is to run away like a pussy, hide behind something and take potshots as they individually rush you. Unfortunately it doesn't work in some battles. I'm stuck in a battle outside the cathedral but there is no retreat because of a close gate behind. There are 2 or 3 men up high with laser scopes and at least 10 enemies on the ground attacking from random directions with weapons all the way to mortars. I've almost killed them all but then been taken down at the last moment. I'll master it sooner or later but its so frustrating.

Fady K

DrXym said:
The strange thing is that levels that don't even register on easier settings can be fucking difficult on crushing. On easier levels my major hate levels were the catacombs and the custom house battles. On crushing, even innocuous battles can be extremely hard.
My general strategy on crushing is to run away like a pussy, hide behind something and take potshots as they individually rush you. Unfortunately it doesn't work in some battles. I'm stuck in a battle outside the cathedral but there is no retreat because of a close gate behind. There are 2 or 3 men up high with laser scopes and at least 10 enemies on the ground attacking from random directions with weapons all the way to mortars. I've almost killed them all but then been taken down at the last moment. I'll master it sooner or later but its so frustrating.

YES.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

SSM25 said:

Yeah sorta, the game wasnt designed to be this hard though imho.... i mean theres parts where there's actions you need to do, such as kicking in a gate, where you get fucked up before you can get to cover or whatever. I guess to some extent its more "realistic" but yeah.....

I juat finished the fight in the underground duct sorta thing, thats some bullshit. :lol

So I finally bit... and beat it on Normal a few minutes ago.

Wow.

I so regret not buying this when it originally dropped. Absolutely amazing game.

But yeah... I'm NOT looking forward to playing through Crushing, because I had enough problems as it is in Normal (particularly the last chapter).
But fuck it... I'll persevere and get that Platinum!

Oh, and is ~40 treasures in my first playthrough good? I can't believe I missed around 15... I really thought I explored all the areas.

Fady K

Revolutionary said:

Wow.

I so regret not buying this when it originally dropped. Absolutely amazing game.

But yeah... I'm NOT looking forward to playing through Crushing, because I had enough problems as it is in Normal (particularly the last chapter).

Oh, and is ~40 treasures in my first playthrough good? I can't believe I missed around 15... I really thought I explored all the areas.

40 on your first run is a very good number man =)

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Revolutionary said:

Wow.

lol GAMEFAQ's and chapter select are your friends when it comes to trophy hunting :lol

it's funny, i found the bigger, memorable set-piece battles somewhat easier than some of the little skirmishes when playing it in crushing. the big ones are all pretty well laid out so that you can go through them quickly with a good plan (use the three m90 grenades here, run for the shotgun, slip around to this bit of cover and polish the next two waves off, etc) - while some of the little ones are just like: 'here's a rock. good luck!'

Agent X

lol GAMEFAQ's and chapter select are your friends when it comes to trophy hunting :lol

I recently completed the game for the second time (the first was many months ago) and ended up with 53 treasures. If I want to collect the other missing treasures, then I've got two questions:

1. Based on your comment above, can I just do chapter select, get the treasures I'm missing from those specific chapters, and have it count toward the 55 and 60 treasure collection trophies?

2. Suppose I decide to start a new game on a different difficulty. If I'm gathering treasures, will this playthrough contain all of the treasures, or only the ones I missed on my previous playthrough?

Agent X said:
I recently completed the game for the second time (the first was many months ago) and ended up with 53 treasures. If I want to collect the other missing treasures, then I've got two questions:

1. Based on your comment above, can I just do chapter select, get the treasures I'm missing from those specific chapters, and have it count toward the 55 and 60 treasure collection trophies?

2. Suppose I decide to start a new game on a different difficulty. If I'm gathering treasures, will this playthrough contain all of the treasures, or only the ones I missed on my previous playthrough?
1. Yes

2. You can choose to carry on you're previous medals and treasures.

Agent X

Metalmurphy said:

Cool! :D

Metalmurphy said:
2. You can choose to carry on you're previous medals and treasures.

When you say "choose", do you mean that the game asks for your preference? It would be neat if I could start the next game, and have only the previously undiscovered treasures appear during that game.

Yeah I'm looking at the FAQs now, turns out a bulk of the ones I missed were very early in the game.

I think it was cuz I was in awe at how beautiful the game is the first few chapters. :lol

Can you use rewards when going through Crushing for the first time? If not, couldn't I just download a save of someone that has already completed it and play through again to get the trophy?

Kittonwy

Banned
Valkyr Junkie said:
Can you use rewards when going through Crushing for the first time? If not, couldn't I just download a save of someone that has already completed it and play through again to get the trophy?

You can't use rewards to go through crushing.

arne

Valkyr Junkie said:

saves are locked now, in that it won't award you trophies from unlocked saves.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Valkyr Junkie said:
You can use all rewards on Crushing only when you've completed crushing once. But even then, to get trophies you have to start the new game, you cannot use the save file made pre-trophy patch.

However, I wonder if save file with Crushing completed post-trophy patch can be used to pull off the trick you want.

*edit* actually don't bother... to actually get trophies, you would need a save file that doesn't have any medals unlocked, or at least to get a Crushing trophy you would need a save file saved just before the very last chapter, and I don't have that.

arne said:
saves are locked now, in that it won't award you trophies from unlocked saves.
I was able to backup my save to usb memory without problems. In what way is it locked?

As a sidenote, I'm surprised so many people felt demo was not representative of game's quality. I think it's one of the most impressive looking levels from the game, shows varied gameplay between shooting and platforming, shows flowing water, etc (was the waterfalls scene in the demo as well?). Visuals, framerate, controls and everything else from the demo felt the same as it was in that same level in final game.

arne

Marconelly said:
I was able to backup my save to usb memory without problems. In what way is it locked?

I mixed metaphors in a way. Trophy information is locked to your profile post patch, essentially locking the save with respect to that. So you obviously can't transfer them to a different user account and use it's benefits (rewards from medals, game progress) to get Trophies. I think the saves are still portable regardless.

The post I was replying to was positing that he could simply download a save from somewhere and use it to play through on Crushing and use rewards to help him through it. He wouldn't be able to do that AND get Trophies. He can either do that or he can play it clean to get Trophies.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Whats harder between Uncharted Crushing and F-ZeroGX story mode?

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Finished it, all trophies, gots me platinum, note to developers FUCK YOU, to make a game hard i dont want invinsible foes, i want the ones that take the same amount of damaged but are smarter, ducking, flanking etc. Crushing was fucking ridiculous, it made them smarter n shit but made the enemies invinsible and Drake as weak as shit.

Finished it, all trophies, gots me platinum, note to developers FUCK YOU, to make a game hard i dont want invinsible foes, i want the ones that take the same amount of damaged but are smarter, ducking, flanking etc. Crushing was fucking ridiculous, it made them smarter n shit but made the enemies invinsible and Drake as weak as shit.
What? I never saw (or not saw) anything like that.

Gibb

SSM25 said:

This. I'm currently on chapter 11 and I really enjoy crushing alot more.. it's so intense! It can be frustrating at times, forcing you to try different tactics. I blind-fire more (shotgun, 9mm), use the Wes44 whenever I find one and shoot from non-sticky cover (i.e. L1 aim & strafe from cover).

Shooting a guy 8 times with a pistol or 4 times with a shotgun is invinsible to me.
You're probably missing alot, even the guys with the armour don't need 8 hits and ALL enemies die in 1 shotgun hit if its at close range, and if it's not then, again, you're missing alot.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK

:lol :lol :lol

I read that as invisible

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Metalmurphy said:
You're probably missing alot, even the guys with the armour don't need 8 hits and ALL enemies die in 1 shotgun hit if its at close range, and if it's not then, again, you're missing alot.

Nope, im a good shot ;) its just bullshit.

Well, it DOESN'T take 8 hits or 4 with the shotgun so something is obviously wrong :p

Infact, if you don't do 1 hit kills on some of the areas while in Crushing it'll be alot harder to pass them.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

Metalmurphy said:
Well, it DOESN'T take 8 hits or 4 with the shotgun so something is obviously wrong :p

Infact, if you don't do 1 hit kills on some of the areas while in Crushing it'll be alot harder to pass them.

Except if you try to aim 95% you get killed before you can do a one hit kill.

I got Platinum late last night (3 days of hardcore gaming)... wow. What fun. lol

Crushing wasn't as hard as some made it out to be, but as the guy with the Brock avatar mentioned - it's bullshit that the enemies were made into walking tanks while Nate can only take 1-3 hits to go down.

Aside from that, Crushing is the way to go. Made me alter my strategy considerably from Normal and Hard.

Anyway, I can't wait for Uncharted 2. Hurry up Naughty Dog!! :lol

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I can confirm that it doesn't take 8 shots from the pistol, that's for sure. I think the worst case scenario is four for regular enemies, and five or six when you're shooting military types in the armor. I can see it taking four shots from the shotgun when you're shooting form far away though - but that's pretty much the same case on other difficulties.

I agree in general that the difficulty makes the game less fun on Crushing though, regardless of how good you are at it.

Top Bottom