• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted |OT|

drakesfortune said:
Hmm, good point it is on that first island. I wonder how they died and what the fuck the sub was doing at the top of the waterfall?!? Too bad we don't have someone from Naughty Dog here to explain that. To say that the place flooded is totally ridiculous given that waterfall has an enormous drop. Then there's the fact that on one side of the sub there's the giant rock wall. Seriously, WTF is the sub doing up there? Yes, the Germans were certainly at that spot following the path of the Spaniards, but it doesn't explain at all why the sub is up there and how it possibly go up there, and why/how the Germans on board are dead. That's a pretty big hole in the story. Maybe I'm just forgetting the answer to all of that.

Calling Kittonwy, do you know?? Anyone?

Edit: Here's an old screen shot of the area, which kind of gives you a feel for it. There's a rock wall behind the sub, which given the direction the sub is facing would mean the sub either came over that waterfall, or it came through that rock wall. Either way, it doesn't make much sense. You have one waterfall above, a landing area where the sub is, and then another waterfall which the sub is sticking out over. If you look at the area in the context of the game, the sub is at roughly the same level as the ruins where Drake comes out after running over those platforms/fallen pillars. So maybe they were bringing the sub there to transport the treasure? Who knows, I guess that maybe the mystery of it is simply there to make you feel like something not quite right is going on here and that in itself makes the mystery that much more interesting and intriguing. The screen shot is from an old build of the game, and I can't recall off hand how much different the actual space is in the game. I kind of picture a U shape for the cliffs surrounding the sub if memory serves me on this. Regardless the way there's a waterfall above and below the sub makes sense, and so getting the sub there would seem an impossibility, unless they built the sub there with no intention of ever getting it out of there. The magnitude of a storm that create a storm surge that's 50 to 100 feet would be completely impossible.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/789/789108/uncharted-drakes-fortune-20070517035059048.jpg
It wasn't a flood, it got stuck during high season, even though it seems a bit high anyway, but hey, blame global warming.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
arne said:
yeah. too bad.

AWESOME DOOD!

Grayman said:
I never worry about these issues in my entertainment, what a boob i am.

I'm with you on that. Uncharted is an exceptional game though with a story that is better than 99% of what's out there, so it actually got me thinking about the story a bit. Most games do not do that to me.

I'm willing to accept the fact that it was da Germanz and they probably just used the arc of the covenant to get it up there after a few sips from the holy grail and warmed by some ancient rocks from Bangladesh.

crispyben said:
You got me there, nice work. Still doesn't explain who killed the Germans and where are the creatures now...
Here's how I look at it (could be contradicted by something mentioned in the game, let me know if so). The Germans are looking to build a
U-boat Pen
, so pick a deserted island in the Pacific and build one. Eventually they explore the island in some downtime and they come across
El Dorado and the Spaniards
. When the proverbial hits the fan, a bunch of survivors flee in a U-boat, hoping to find the original site where
El Dorado
was found and possibly a
cure
or at least some explanation of what's going on.

Unseasonably high waters mean that the waterfall we see in the game is actually a raging torrent of water pouring over that cliff. The sailors are either caught out by the unexpected drop, or perhaps they had a 'stowaway' who was able to kill the crew as they approached their destination. Or maybe they had a 'captive' who got free at the end. Either way, the U-boat heads over the cliff. Because there is so much more water it doesn't just hit the bottom like a knife, but instead skims off the bottom, takes terminal damage, and gets stuck. When the waters recede, you're left with the U-boat sitting on a (mostly) rock shelf. QED. :D

Anyone who upgraded their PS3 HDD recently have any problems with it recognizing the trophies? I had the platinum trophy in this and it doesn't recognize this. At first it said 42% in the xmb, then I load the game and it says 0%. Pixeljunk Eden and Super Stardust HD sync back perfectly and yet Uncharted hasn't. Any help? thanks.

Mesijs

Trophy hunting now. Already completed the game 100% before the trophies, now playing again on crushing.

It's going surprisingly well. The sewers scene went quite ok, some deaths but not like before. And the scene just before the church also went great, only died like 2/3 times before nailing it totally. I SO love the whole crushing thing, you have to move quickly and sometimes take great risks or die a certain death and then it pays off.

Mesijs said:
Trophy hunting now. Already completed the game 100% before the trophies, now playing again on crushing.

It's going surprisingly well. The sewers scene went quite ok, some deaths but not like before. And the scene just before the church also went great, only died like 2/3 times before nailing it totally. I SO love the whole crushing thing, you have to move quickly and sometimes take great risks or die a certain death and then it pays off.

My crushing run was not only easier but much more enjoyable than my normal run. Go figure.

DrPirate

Banned
Freedom = $1.05 said:
My crushing run was not only easier but much more enjoyable than my normal run. Go figure.

Same here.

On Hard, there were some parts I would spend 30-45 minutes on.

On Crushing, the Sewers part, the Outside and Inside the church parts, breezed through them on 1 or 2 tries max. And had a much better time doing so as well.

swoon

Metalmurphy said:
It wasn't a flood, it got stuck during high season, even though it seems a bit high anyway, but hey, blame global warming.

fitzcarraldo.gif

once you get it up the mountain, doesn't mean you have a place for it...

Mesijs

Yeah I like crushing also more than hard. It's because you use all the mechanics a lot more. Blindfiring with the shotgun, blind grenade throwing, stealth, melee, run 'n gunning: you just use everything at it's time to survive. Every mechanic has it's specific purpose and everything works how it should be.

Bought it last weekend. Played for a couple of hours last Saturday and then I had to put it off until today. Just beat it 5 minutes ago.

Pretty short but damn that was fun. Can't believe I waited two months after buying the PS3 to pick up this gem. Undoubtedly my second favorite PS3 game; it's right behind MGS4 in my book. It was just as good as GAF made it up to be. :D

Near the end, the game really took me by surprise.
Survival action horror!? Nearly shat my pants in the boat fighting the cursed Spaniards. :lol

Just started my trophy run on Hard. Ran into a weird issue, and I wanted to see if anyone has heard of anything like this. So far, I've collected 20+ treasures. I have the trophy for collecting 20 treasures, but not the one for collecting 15. What the hell is going on...

zoukka

Started a second run for some trophies but my god I think I'm going to quit already.

Enter a new area -> *popping sounds* -> kill some pirates

I hate this cover-shit.

TabSel

what a pitty, I can't come to grips with Uncharted.

The control scheme bothers me. I don't see where I am shooting to, I can't twist the camera AND run AND search the cross hair AND aim AND get coffer AND... too much at the same time for me...

I tried to love it, but... the controls... :-(

FirewalkR

TabSel said:

The control scheme bothers me. I don't see where I am shooting to, I can't twist the camera AND run AND search the cross hair AND aim AND get coffer AND... too much at the same time for me...

Right now, somewhere in Canada, a Kitton is crying.

Darkpen

Banned
TabSel said:

really? I don't understand what you're having trouble with, unless you're just not used to third person shooters or something? Maybe try lowering the difficulty?

L1 to aim over the shoulder? R1 to shoot while running around?

There are several things that need desperate improvements in Uncharted, but I'm not sure if that's what you're having trouble with.

Mesijs

TabSel said:

I don't get you... It's like every other game but smoother. You can't even run while aiming by the way...

Replicant

Darkpen said:
There are several things that need desperate improvements in Uncharted, but I'm not sure if that's what you're having trouble with.

The control does take quite a while to get used to. My suggestion is to keep trying because you'll eventually get used to it (except in some annoyingly hard places in Crushing mode).

One thing that I don't think I completely understand is how the grenades/bombs work. I can't seem to figure out where I'm throwing it to.

Facism

i remember my one issue with the aiming back in my first 4 playthroughs was how there was no 'float' or momentum to the aiming. It was quite precise and i'm usually a sloppy aimer (hurr hurr)

The only problem I had with the controls, that isn't actually a control problem at all, is that the aim sometimes isn't pointing to the right place. But this is a visual problem only, bullets go where they're supposed to but the gun isn't aiming at that place lol.

M3Freak

Banned
Metalmurphy said:

That doesn't make sense because that then means the entire forest would have had to been under water. The sub up there makes no sense at all unless it was transported there. But, why would that be? I don't know..

That sub is one of the few flaws in the game.

Facism

M3Freak said:
That doesn't make sense because that then means the entire forest would have had to been under water. The sub up there makes no sense at all unless it was transported there. But, why would that be? I don't know..

it looks nice, though :)

Dragon

Banned
M3Freak said:

You're right. Let's ignore the fact that the
last couple of chapters deal with the supernatural
and concentrate on a sub being stuck at an impossible place!

Replicant

Oh, I have one main complaint: if you're designing a game where the visual cues of your slowly depleting life relies on the game turning black/white, then FFS don't make the cross-hair of your weapon white in color (and small to boot). It's very eye-straining and difficult to see. I can't remember the amount of time I die because I can't see where the cross-hair is located even during normal health mode. Imagine how it looks when Drake is about to die.

Gibb

Replicant said:
Oh, I have one main complaint: if you're designing a game where the visual cues of your slowly depleting life relies on the game turning black/white, then FFS don't make the cross-hair of your weapon white in color (and small to boot). It's very eye-straining and difficult to see. I can't remember the amount of time I die because I can't see where the cross-hair is located even during normal health mode. Imagine how it looks when Drake is about to die.

shouldn't aim when you're about to die :D

as I remember, the cross-hair never seemed to have bothered me (finished both on SD and 52" LCD TV)

M3Freak

Banned
TheBranca18 said:

I don't think so. I thought it was pretty clear that it was some kind of
virus/disease that mutated the Spaniards.

RavenFox

Banned
M3Freak said:

Really? Damn Raiders of the Lost Ark was real to me man :-/. Dude take a breather...
The game also deals with the supernatural; have some faith.

wouwie

Replaying Uncharted (again) on a rainy sunday in Autumn is so nice. Especially while being in the levels leading up to the Monastery. These levels definately have a more darker, misty look.

I love Uncharted. Make the shoot-outs a bit smaller and add some more puzzling and platform, scrap the plot twist and you'll have my favourite game of forever.

Each time i play, i'm still amazed by what Naughty Dog managed to accomplish. The graphics are still insane, the atmosphere is spot on, the AI, the sound effects, the splendid music, the characters, the feeling of being on an adventure... Incredible.

I honestly can't wait until Uncharted 2 is unveiled.

Johnkers

Is the save for Unchrated locked? As in, would I be able to log into my account from another PS3, start a new game there and if I don't finish it, log in at home and copy the save from that PS3 to mine and continue on my merry way? Trophies included?

Thanks!

Ethereal

One of these days I will get around to playing Uncharted again on Hard and maybe Crushing..... but too much on my pile of shame at the moment that I still need to get through

So I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld, and it really makes me appreciate the work Naughty Dog did in Uncharted w/ the animations and the fluidity of Nate's movement.

It's like night and day.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
hmhmm So arne works in Naughty Dog?
ND developed the EDGE tool set ? The Firengine too ?

TheBranca18 said:
There is
nothing supernatural
in the game. The curse is obviously
a pathogen, since Navarro intends to weaponize and sell it.

As for the U-boat, two things come to mind. First, it's more than 60 years old. Fast-running water can carve some pretty spectacular divots in that amount of time, and overgrowth would still have time to return; maybe the cliffs were made (or exaggerated) since the wreck. Still, that seems like special pleading.

The idea already proposed of a split-stream in the river is eminently plausible. The U-boat takes one path upstream, and then on purpose or after disaster takes another path downstream, which leads it over the cliff. The setting doesn't seem intended to be in the Amazon delta, but the major tributaries of the Amazon are very large rivers themselves (including 7 of the top 50 longest rivers in the world). They could easily include big oxbows and split meanders far up their length. That would mean that the El Dorado complex is on an island in the river, which fits with the fact that Sully and Nathan take a boat there.

arne

Fersis said:
hmhmm So arne works in Naughty Dog?
ND developed the EDGE tool set ? The Firengine too ?

This was totally random!

ND has a team in-house which works on PS3 tech, out of which came the EDGE tool set.
BUT we didn't do the Firengine.

Kittonwy

Banned
arne said:
This was totally random!

ND has a team in-house which works on PS3 tech, out of which came the EDGE tool set.

Are you still there? I don't see your name in the kennel. It's sad to see Hirokazu no longer there. Is sir kion always wearing so much blingbling? >:|

Revolutionary said:
So I'm playing Tomb Raider Underworld, and it really makes me appreciate the work Naughty Dog did in Uncharted w/ the animations and the fluidity of Nate's movement.

It's like night and day.

Ha probably doesn't mean too much since Uncharted is still my favorite new series I have played this
gen but I totally agree. I only played the TRU demo but it just made me realize how for me anyway
Uncharted has completely replaced that series and I used to love Tomb Raider.

arne said:
This was totally random!

It must make you guys pretty proud to have created a game in such a relatively short development time
that still has very little competition graphically and plays like a absolute dream.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
arne said:
This was totally random!

Oh, i was just being curious.
Thanks for the info.
PD: Uncharted rocks :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So Uncharted is basically the game that turned my Xbot roommate into a PS3 believer. He beat me to getting the Platinum because he loved it so much.:lol

RoboPlato said:
So Uncharted is basically the game that turned my Xbot roommate into a PS3 believer. He beat me to getting the Platinum because he loved it so much.:lol

Well its imitated dark depressing cousin Gears turned me into a Xbox believer so its only fair.

arne

Kittonwy said:
Are you still there? I don't see your name in the kennel. It's sad to see Hirokazu no longer there. Is sir kion always wearing so much blingbling? >:|

Yeah, I'm just super terrible at updating our Kennel right now -- yeah, I have to do it. There's like 5 or 6 other guys I have to get up too that we've hired recently. I'm sure they secretly hate me for not adding them to the Kennel.

Maybe I'll get to it this week.

Not, but he really is missing a tooth
not

Fersis

Yeah, i think that it is Phyrengine not Firengine.
Sorry about that.
PD:Uncharted rocks.

Top Bottom