• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UNCHARTED: The Lost Legacy - Western Ghats Gameplay Video (the open-world-ish area)

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Ugh, Laura Bailey's South African accent is so bad. I wish they recasted for this.

Shin-Ra

Underwater lighting 👌

Will I resist looking for treasure and drowning?

PcxlaTU.gif

Shin-Ra

Interesting swimming technique in the middle of that gif :D

Animation bug?
The player's probably dabbing the left analog to go slower round the tight corner without scraping the walls.

There is a glitch with the water splash when Chloe surfaces at 9:20 though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Already pre-ordered, don't need any more convincing so I'll skip this.

Damn. The Pro is still 1440p :(

Oh well, it's still a gorgeous game. Even more so than UC4.

It's acceptable when the game looks so good, the HDR will make a bigger difference anyway.

Harlequin

Naughty Dog do not work like this. They reccord the dialogues and movement of the characters at the same time with every actor in set.

There are a few The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 making-of videos with motion capture sessions.

For cutscenes, yeah, but for stuff like in-game lines that aren't necessarily linked to any specific character movements/have gameplay animation playing under them, they most likely just record in a normal sound studio (as has been pointed out multiple times in this thread) and it's entirely possible that they have separate sessions for each actor there.

Frostman

It's acceptable when the game looks so good, the HDR will make a bigger difference anyway.

Yep. The game is stunning, one of the best looking out there.

But I can't help but wondering what an ND game would look like 2160p cb.

TLOU part 2 will be something special built from the Ground up alongside the Pro.

Full-game length expansions like this is a really good idea imo. There arent that many aaa studios left that i am really following anymore and this is a really good way for them to increase their output. Hope it becomes a trend.

Neith

Banned
Yep. The game is stunning, one of the best looking out there.

But I can't help but wondering what an ND game would look like 2160p cb.

TLOU part 2 will be something special built from the Ground up alongside the Pro.

I mean 1440p native to 4k CB isn't going to blow your mind if they have good AA.

Full-game length expansions like this is a really good idea imo. There arent that many aaa studios left that i am really following anymore and this is a really good way for them to increase their output. Hope it becomes a trend.

Especially with Rockstar dropping the ball on SP.

Shin-Ra

Trying to determine if you can stealth you way through the second battle, I wonder if you can shoot a helmet off with a single shot then immediately melee finisher from behind. edit: or above.

SomTervo

I'm not going to spoil any of these videos for myself but I'm so pumped that we're less than a month away now.

Same here.

God.

Damn.

Stoked.

Not watching anything after I checked out that city infiltration gameplay and realised I'd spoiled a v. cool scene for myself.

jacobs34

This really looks like just the thing to get us out of the doldrums of summer. I'm knocking some games off of my backlog right now, but I'm ready for something new.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Got to play this area and it feels like a more fully realized version of what they were going for with the Madagascar level. There you just had one main path and a few diversions, but here there are 3 structures you need to visit, all with combat scenarios. I even found a little sidequest with fountains you had to disable in time. It is another nudge towards a real open world game, so I can't escape the feeling that they're testing the waters with these expanding areas.

I got 2/3 main objectives done before I had to stop. You get a map that gets updated, a phone and there's a new kind of collectible in photo-ops. I didn't find any yet in my session though. Overall I was pleased with what I played, def. an improvement over Madagascar gameplay-wise.

Venuspower

I am really hyped for this game.
Everthing I have seen so far looks really good.
Also lockpicking looks really nice. Can not remember if UC1 - UC4 already have that. But I hope that they will add this to TLOU Part II. Maybe as an alternative for the opening with shivs (faster vs. saving resources). Playing around with the photo mode will be funny again. Areas are looking impressive and also Chloe looks really nice ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Perfect for using photo mode.

Also looking forward how TLOU Part II and UC4/TLL will differ in terms of graphic.

I like Chloe's nails.

2YUmkmg.gif

I think they need to add some sort of very slight 'thrown off balance' animation when the platform starts moving down suddenly. It looks pretty bad right now, as there is no acknowledgment of the floor beneath her suddenly starting a sharp drop.

Alienfan

Yikes, really not feeling those characters interactions, voice acting seemed off also. More of an Uncharted 4 expansion than I thought it was, I haven't been following it closely I suppose. But it's ND, they've definitely earned the benefit of the doubt

I want a gamersyde vid with HDR.

I'm almost tempted to replay all of UC4 after popping it in for 30 mins this weekend.

It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen on a TV.

Gurish

Took five games but the game actually has competent stealth now.

Still doesn't seem to be a distraction mechanic tho. :/

In terms of the engine this is literally a mod for UC4. Basically the Halo 3 ODST of the series.

They probably don't think a distraction mechanic fits, it's not like they can't implement it, they did it in TLOU and it worked great, I tend to agree with them that it might feel out of place in UC settings and environments.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I'm tired of the whole Uncharted formular so i will probably not get this one.

Also Uncharted 4 was a huge letdown and this looks more of the same.

KORNdoggy

Frazer – apparently now of Indian descent

when was she not?

looks stunning though, great character choice for this and the voice work is on point. don't need anymore convincing, this thing is day 1.

Shin-Ra

I think they need to add some sort of very slight 'thrown off balance' animation when the platform starts moving down suddenly. It looks pretty bad right now, as there is no acknowledgment of the floor beneath her suddenly starting a sharp drop.
The elevator doesn't suddenly drop, it's a gentle start.

EDJhOAM.gif

Grisby

I'll scrub through it when I get home. Just a little tease though.

Gonna try and play/get back into a decent amount of multi before Destiny comes out.

Unknown?

Looking great, glad it's getting good impressions. Hope being so open doesn't ruin it though. I liked Madagascar, hope this section gives a real sense of exploration, but I love linear Uncharted.

Gurish

Got to play this area and it feels like a more fully realized version of what they were going for with the Madagascar level. There you just had one main path and a few diversions, but here there are 3 structures you need to visit, all with combat scenarios. I even found a little sidequest with fountains you had to disable in time. It is another nudge towards a real open world game, so I can't escape the feeling that they're testing the waters with these expanding areas.

I got 2/3 main objectives done before I had to stop. You get a map that gets updated, a phone and there's a new kind of collectible in photo-ops. I didn't find any yet in my session though. Overall I was pleased with what I played, def. an improvement over Madagascar gameplay-wise.

You know what I'm not afraid of the future (probably TLOU2 already?) of open world ND games, I know they are going to nail it and it won't feel force, meaningless and full of filler like how most of those games feels, I fully trust them to retain their core design values while maintaining the right amount of freedom an open world design can provide.

Revven

I feel like this is a combination of a more fully realized Madagascar & the unknown island part (Chapter 14 or 15 iirc?) when you're on the boat and investigating the island to find the entrance to Libertalia.

It's a combination in the sense of having Chloe writing stuff on her map and looking for stuff in each location; they did this in the chapter prior to finding Libertalia in UC4 where you were completely free to use the boat to navigate the islands and find clues. Eventually culminating in you finding a tower (just like in this video) that pointed you in a rough direction on where to go next. Except in this case, they've made it so you have three different goals/objectives rather than one.

And then the Madagascar part comes from finding optional stuff and it being the car rather than the boat. I felt the boat and islands part of UC4 was a better idea of what Madagascar should have been so I'm glad they're further expanding on this in this game and doing (seemingly) a much better job.

Also, interesting how the Para-9 with a suppressor is considered a power weapon...

That was awesome. Love how open they're making it without going open world. I wonder if TLoU:p2 will be similar. Also, visuals are insanely good, as expected. Looks quite a bit better than UC4.

Good characters - yeah.

The voice acting is still really bad though.

At no point did it sound like two humans having a conversation in a moving car.

Always sounded like two women in a studio - you can almost hear the paper they´re reading of. (In separate sessions, because I don´t think they were in the studio at the same time)

Wow, talk about clueless.

8byte

Banned
The amount of misinformation and assumptions from passers by is pretty nuts.

Just a lot of people who haven't followed the development leaving drive by comments based on a verticals slice of the game.

Looks good, can't wait to play it.

8byte

Banned
That´s cut-scene stuff most likely - yeah, I expect this to sound more natural.

The stuff in the vid was bad.

Do you have any basis for any of these comments at all, or are you just making assumptions here based on your own thoughts on how it sounds?

Anything?

Loudninja

That twist being that this is a fully non-linear level, an open-ended space you're free to explore at will. It's a small masterclass in design, the outrageously beautiful backdrop of India's Western Ghats kept in order by sight lines that are expertly crafted, always guiding your eye towards an objective that would otherwise be lost in the vastness. There are plenty of objectives, too - whether that's the three towers you're asked to visit as your primary tasks, or one of any number of diversions along the way. This, it turns out, is an Uncharted with optional puzzles and weapon crates that can be prised open with the new lock-picking mechanic. You certainly can't say it's just more of the same.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-for-uncharted-or-the-start-of-something-else

I'm just not hearing anything bad or off from the voice acting. Sounds great to me, just like UC4. The only thing I didn't like in that video was after Chloe tied the wench around the door. I don't see why Nadine, who was already in the jeep, couldn't have gotten in the driver's seat herself and pulled it open instead of the player having to run back over and do it.

Top Bottom