• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st] has the best fighting game tutorial since VF4: Evo.

Awesome, thanks for that info! Still downloading over wi-fi so I won't be able to play at lunch looks like. :( Oh well, will jump on once work's over.

The options to upload and download are on the System Settings menu. Just break out that Google Translate app, and it'll be obvious. :)

Edit: Also, I am absolutely in love with this game. There is no barrier to becoming, bare minimum, an intermediate player, if not an advanced one. They have you do really simple combos in various, common situations, then teach you more advanced ones later on.

Just figured out yet another badass feature for this game that, in my opinion, officially puts it beyond VF4 Evo.

The 5th option from the top on the pause menu in mission mode is Demonstration, which has the game show you how to do a combo. If you pause during a demonstration, the 6th option, Demonstration Assist, becomes available. The way it works is, you watch the demo until it gets to a part that's difficult for you or something. Wherever you pause, when you activate it, it will create a "takeover" point, if you will, at that part of the combo. Basically, the demo will play out until that point, and then it's up to you to complete the combo. So if there's a difficult section, like some tough link, you can practice just that link. You can combine this with the "restart mission on failure" option to make it even more streamlined.

This feature has never been in a fighting game before. It's about as easy as learning a combo can get.

I'm just floored by this game. My God!

Skilletor

Just figured out yet another badass feature for this game that, in my opinion, officially puts it beyond VF4 Evo.

The 5th option from the top on the pause menu in mission mode is Demonstration, which has the game show you how to do a combo. If you pause during a demonstration, the 6th option, Demonstration Assist, becomes available. The way it works is, you watch the demo until it gets to a part that's difficult for you or something. Wherever you pause, when you activate it, it will create a "takeover" point, if you will, at that part of the combo. Basically, the demo will play out until that point, and then it's up to you to complete the combo. So if there's a difficult section, like some tough link, you can practice just that link. You can combine this with the "restart mission on failure" option to make it even more streamlined.

This feature has never been in a fighting game before. It's about as easy as learning a combo can get.

This is a legitimate game changer, lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier

This is really really good

Uraizen

Banned

... seriously? I have needed a feature like this for so long in many fighters.

Now we just need some god tier netcode and this game is perfect.
Not happening, I know.

Arc System Works desperately needs this in their fighting games.

French-Bread coming out of nowhere with one of the best tutorials.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro

This is super dope!

petran79

Banned
Do they still include Autocombos by pressing A button?

It is harder avoiding autocombos than doing actual combos.Feels like cheating

Don't want to derail, but the Killer Instinct tutorial/dojo is hands-down my favorite fighting game tutorial. But I'm happy if this takes that spot :)

danmaku

Wow, amazing work. French Bread suddenly getting ahead of the pack.

I totally slept on this game, is it true that it has no airdashes? Pretty strange for an anime fighter.

Been playing this in the arcade for about a year, and UNIEL before that. It's the best ground-based 2D fighter out there at the moment in my book. Combos are on the long end, but no air dashes plus a limited juggling system gives them a defined limit.

Balance was also very well done in UNIST, maybe one S-tier character (Akatsuki), but every character very capable of competing. Francepan has buffed almost all the characters in this latest iteration, so I'm curious on how that'll turn out in the meta, but assuming they can get it near the 3.0 Arcade version, it should work out to be a great balance.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I see that this game has color palettes that can change up a character's look, kind of like KOF XIII had. Was that in the original UNIEL? I can't remember.

What about single player content?

Plenty of modes available:

Arcade
Chronicle (Story)
Versus
Network
Adhoc (Vita)
Score Attack
Time Attack
Survival
Training
Tutorial
Mission
Customize
Gallery
Option
Playstation Store

WarRock

Balance was also very well done in UNIST, maybe one S-tier character (Akatsuki), but every character very capable of competing. Francepan has buffed almost all the characters in this latest iteration, so I'm curious on how that'll turn out in the meta, but assuming they can get it near the 3.0 Arcade version, it should work out to be a great balance.

one S-tier character

(Akatsuki)

mother of God

how things have changed

This all sounds great, especially the demonstration assist. I looooved UNIEL and I'm really excited for UNIST. I wish Aksys could give us more than a vague window for the Western release. At this point, I'm just leaning towards getting a JP copy since I don't really need English text for this.

Do they still include Autocombos by pressing A button?

It is harder avoiding autocombos than doing actual combos.Feels like cheating

Don't mash, and you'll be fine. Mission mode is so good. They start you off with a bunch of combos that you can learn in seconds. My advice is, stick to the first 2 or 3 combos they teach you in levels 1-x and 2-x, as those are their "recommended" combos for beginners in the situations they describe in the tags next to their names (e.g. "from a low hit with crouching A" or "from an overhead with forward C").

How much does this cost if I want to import it? Is there a story mode?

Buying PSN Yen codes cost me about $60 USD. It has a story mode, but if you want to understand it, you'll have to use the Google Translate mobile app. You shouldn't have a lot of trouble enjoying using that to enjoy it, either, thanks to its Instant (as in real-time) Translation feature.

Don't want to derail, but the Killer Instinct tutorial/dojo is hands-down my favorite fighting game tutorial. But I'm happy if this takes that spot :)

I'm a fan of KI and its tutorial system, but it's at least 2 or 3 levels beneath UNIST, on every metric.

Wow, amazing work. French Bread suddenly getting ahead of the pack.

I totally slept on this game, is it true that it has no airdashes? Pretty strange for an anime fighter.

There's a system mechanic called Assault. Press forward + D on the ground or in mid-air, and your character does a sort of short jump forward that you can do a single aerial attack out of after a certain period of time.

By the way, the game's awesome tutorial teaches you how to do an assault to bait your opponent into blocking high, then attacking low to open them up. Because this game is dope.

Is this the game made by the Melty Blood guys?

Co-developed, but yes.

Been playing this in the arcade for about a year, and UNIEL before that. It's the best ground-based 2D fighter out there at the moment in my book. Combos are on the long end, but no air dashes plus a limited juggling system gives them a defined limit.

I have agreed with this sentiment since UNIEL hit console. My understanding is that Akatsuki shared the top tier with a few other characters, but that the 3.20 update (and new characters) that console shipped with shook up the game's balance to the point where nobody really knows where everyone stands just yet.

What makes UNIST the best fighting game? What about single player content?

FTFY. :p

In my opinion, other than a general design philosophy of fairness and reason in a genre plagued by jank and complexity, it's the Grind Grid system. Basically, it rewards smart fighting game play. If you're familiar with the lingo, it's a kind of "footsies meter."

It's a meter shared by both players. If you walk forward, you build it while your opponent loses it. If you get cornered, it starts to drain. There's a 10-second timer around it, and whoever has the most GRD meter when it ticks gains Vorpal State, which is a resource that can be hoarded until the next tick, spent as payment for one of several universal mechanics, or lost.

Frankly, it's the most elegant fighting game mechanic I've ever seen.

I see that this game has color palettes that can change up a character's look, kind of like KOF XIII had. Was that in the original UNIEL? I can't remember.

UNIEL had them, too. Each returning character got 10 more colors in UNIST.

This all sounds great, especially the demonstration assist. I looooved UNIEL and I'm really excited for UNIST. I wish Aksys could give us more than a vague window for the Western release. At this point, I'm just leaning towards getting a JP copy since I don't really need English text for this.

You really don't, especially when the demonstrations for each tutorial/mission explain their utility pretty effectively.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
"Ground-based 2D fighter" is music to my ears. I had some fun with UNIEL for a bit and with this being even better and more balanced, I'm all over it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Plenty of modes available:

Arcade
Chronicle (Story)
Versus
Network
Adhoc (Vita)
Score Attack
Time Attack
Survival
Training
Tutorial
Mission
Customize
Gallery
Option
Playstation Store

FTFY. :p

In my opinion, other than a general design philosophy of fairness and reason in a genre plagued by jank and complexity, it's the Grind Grid system. Basically, it rewards smart fighting game play. If you're familiar with the lingo, it's a kind of "footsies meter."

It's a meter shared by both players. If you walk forward, you build it while your opponent loses it. If you get cornered, it starts to drain. There's a 10-second timer around it, and whoever has the most GRD meter when it ticks gains Vorpal State, which is a resource that can be hoarded until the next tick, spent as payment for one of several universal mechanics, or lost.

Frankly, it's the most elegant fighting game mechanic I've ever seen.

So this game finally teaches you how to play it?

Maybe it will actually build a decent size community now in anticipation of Cross Tag Battle.

Is Akatsuki still good in this new balance patch? I wanted to play the last one, but apparently he wasn't very good at the time. What makes/made him S tier?

Caim

Is Akatsuki still good in this new balance patch? I wanted to play the last one, but apparently he wasn't very good at the time. What makes/made him S tier?

Akatsuki is really good even after this latest patch.

EDIT: Beaten. Was trying to find the late[st] patch notes not the 3.20 but I can't find it.

A lot of his stuff is plus (including being much more than before) hitboxes on a lot of moves were increased too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B05szmR2yYh4TnV2aWRqU2s3Mms/view

On the tier list discussion, I never saw a really authoritative breakdown by the Japanese players of who is top, but there were two lists posted which can give you an idea.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/12035-unist-tier-list/

First one was posted by a game strategy site in Japan called esports runner, which is currently defunct.

================================================
S
Seth, Vatista, Akatsuki, Phonon

A
Eltnum, Hyde, Linne, Orie, Byakuya, Merkava

B
Chaos, Nanase, Carmine, Yuzuriha, Walenstein, Gordeau, Hilda
================================================

Second was posted by a player named KGY from kansai:

https://twitter.com/bureoeve/status/790851243329540097

========================
UNI tiers for beginners:

S Seth Phonon Vatista

A Hyde Byakuya Orie Akatsuki Carmine Gordeau Merkava Eltnum Rinne Nanase Yuzuriha Chaos Hilda Walenstein Mika

Some matches are worse than others but all characters can win!
========================

A poster named Loody from Dustloop provided the character breakdown of the Over the World event:

========================
http://inbirth.info/2017/06/02/171626

There were 16 teams of 3 and character distribution looked like this

Seth - 6
Nanase - 4
Hyde - 4
Linne - 4
Byakuya - 4
Orie - 3
Hilda -3
Akatsuki -2
Chaos - 2
Merkava -2
Phonon - 2
Yuzu - 2
Carmine - 2
Wald - 2
Vatista - 2
Gord - 2
Mika - 1
Eltnum -1
========================

So as you can see, there was a pretty even distribution of characters. Again, all this is going to change in the 3.20 version, so don't take it to heart just yet.

Incidentally, I got some time with the PS4 version, as well as the Vita version last night and I have to say, this is literally a god-tier fighting game product. If you like fighting games at all, you should be playing this. The training and mission options alone are straight up an advancement not only for the series but also the genre. What actually has surprised me as well is how well this game works with cross-save. I play PS4 matches on my TV at night, cross-save to my Vita in the morning and then play through the Chronicle mode on the way to work. It's almost like a Switch! So this is what Sony was going for with their dual device strategy lol. I seriously love it, and the quality of the Vita version is also really strong. Game only has four buttons, so it's mad easy to play.

I want to pick this game up but I know I won't get the most out of the tutorial and combos without it being in English.

Hopefully the late 2017 release date doesn't end up being too far away. I really enjoyed my time with UNIEL on PS3.

BossRush

This is gonna be a nightmare picking a character, everyone is really fun, though based on aesthetics alone Chaos and Akatsuki might be my guys

Uraizen

Banned
Everybody in this game is viable and strong now. Play whoever you want without worrying about tiers. Tiers are way too early to discuss anyway.

Button press timing tutorial is a GOD SEND! That is one of my biggest struggles. I really hope this is added to other games.

My mind is BLOWN!!!

On the tier list discussion, I never saw a really authoritative breakdown by the Japanese players of who is top, but there were two lists posted which can give you an idea.

http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/forums/topic/12035-unist-tier-list/

First one was posted by a game strategy site in Japan called esports runner, which is currently defunct.

Second was posted by a player named KGY from kansai:

https://twitter.com/bureoeve/status/790851243329540097

A poster named Loody from Dustloop provided the character breakdown of the Over the World event:

So as you can see, there was a pretty even distribution of characters. Again, all this is going to change in the 3.20 version, so don't take it to heart just yet.

Incidentally, I got some time with the PS4 version, as well as the Vita version last night and I have to say, this is literally a god-tier fighting game product. If you like fighting games at all, you should be playing this. The training and mission options alone are straight up an advancement not only for the series but also the genre. What actually has surprised me as well is how well this game works with cross-save. I play PS4 matches on my TV at night, cross-save to my Vita in the morning and then play through the Chronicle mode on the way to work. It's almost like a Switch! So this is what Sony was going for with their dual device strategy lol. I seriously love it, and the quality of the Vita version is also really strong. Game only has four buttons, so it's mad easy to play.

The game in its current state is days old. I wouldn't trust any tier lists. Literally nobody has more than a couple of days experience with Wagner and Enkidu, for example, so there isn't nearly enough data to evaluate their strength. They seem legit, though.

I want to pick this game up but I know I won't get the most out of the tutorial and combos without it being in English.

Hopefully the late 2017 release date doesn't end up being too far away. I really enjoyed my time with UNIEL on PS3.

I promise you can get about 90% of the information simply by watching the in-game demonstrations. The other 10%, you can use the Google Translate mobile app for.

This is gonna be a nightmare picking a character, everyone is really fun, though based on aesthetics alone Chaos and Akatsuki might be my guys

After finishing every character's level 1 and 2 combos, I've only ruled out 5 out of the 20 characters as potential mains. They're all too fun.

Button press timing tutorial is a GOD SEND! That is one of my biggest struggles. I really hope this is added to other games.

My mind is BLOWN!!!

Seriously, man. I was having trouble with one of the recommended Advanced Akatsuki combos, because it has you launch, jump cancel, then do two delayed aerial moves.

So I enabled combo assist right after the jump cancel, so I could experiment with the timing of the delay without having to struggle with the initial 6B, 66B, 2C > 5C portion, which is also pretty tricky. I drilled the delayed hits until I understood them and got used to them, then turned off the assist and got the combo down in a few tries. Now, I'm just drilling it to get more consistent at the whole thing.

This game, man. Literally any other game, and it would've required that I jump in a forum/Discord server, explain my problem, ask for help... but with this, if I needed to, I could enable input display and compare my button press timings with the demo, if I still couldn't figure it out.

Kikirin

This is super rad. Looking forward to the NA release even more now!

Perineum

I will buy the PS4 version literally just to support this kind of tutorial. This needs to become a standard across the board.

I'm awful at anime fighters, but oh well.

Bought a Sanwa stick and buttons to mod my HRAP 4. Already bought a 4 way gate, so for me this question is moot, but does anyone have an opinion on october-gate restrictors for Francepan games? They always tend to have tougher diagonals than other fighting game companies, so wondering if that would have been an optimal set-up.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the heads up! I wishlisted the game on Steam after seeing this thread...or so I thought. I'd love a fighting game with a nice tutorial like that.

But now I'm seeing the Steam game was a previous version? Is this game with its tutorial planned for Steam or only PSN?

Thanks for the heads up! I wishlisted the game on Steam after seeing this thread...or so I thought. I'd love a fighting game with a nice tutorial like that.

But now I'm seeing the Steam game was a previous version? Is this game with its tutorial planned for Steam or only PSN?

At the moment only a PSN release has been confirmed. Whether or not a PC release will come is unknown. It's likely to happen since Arc Sys has been getting better about porting their games to PC, but probably not until after the game's localized release later this year.

i-Jest

We already have UNIST. It doesn't need to become a standard. Why bother with another game? lol

Because not everyone who plays fighting games plays Under Night. If there are ways to making the genre more accessible, without compromising a games depth, then shouldn't that get promoted so others can build off that and create a more enjoyable experience? Would that not push the genre forward as a whole?

Top Bottom