• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

crimilde

Banned
Then maybe stop making assumptions like it is a detrimental thing and wait until you play the damn game.

Maybe it wasn't clear, but I was explaining what other people were talking about when referring to unskippable cut-scenes.

But yeah, I'm out of here. Too many passionate people around. :)

Buddy at work asked me to find a picture of the killer and I think I just spoiled the game for myself.
It showed the name of the killer, which is also the name of a character I've seen in trailers.
I was so looking forward to this too. :(

I'm maybe 60% or 70% into the game...

It exceeded my expectations, your choices DOES MATTER and the difference it makes so huge. Without a doubt Until Down has the highest reply value in a while.

So far the game is a very solid 8.5.

Yeah, I'll need to check this one out eventually. I have a feeling they delivered on their promise of actual consequences for the player's choices, unlike most of the choices you make in Telltale games, which are only slight deviations from a main narrative that is set in stone regardless of what you do.

They also seem to have nailed that typical atmosphere you expect to see in movies of this genre.
Let's hope the VA holds up, that's one thing that can easily ruin the experience in a game like this.

Shancake

Price point may deter players?

Ugh, was hoping that stupid ass argument wouldn't rear its ugly head.

I wrote this review and couldn't help but mention it.. Most players could finish it in 7-8 hours and not want to play it again... Putting this against a game like Metal Gear Solid which is releasing within the same week for the same price. Value seems a little off for the average gamer that can only buy one game every few months...

I know, this game is meant to be replayed to get the best ending.
Also hot damn the PS Camera function sounds awesome. I may have to pick one up as well.

One of the more playful elements of Until Dawn was the scare-cam. Provided you’ve hooked up your Playstation Camera to your PS4 you can have it automatically record certain ‘jump-scare’ moments which litter the game, which you can then share online. While jumpscares are usually completely rubbish and a terrible cliche of horror conventions, the addition of having your scares recorded actually makes it a fun feature and the feature plays into the craze of ‘Let’s Play’ videos of people obsessing over horror games on YouTube just to watch someone’s reaction.

Nemesis_

I know some of us on here probably wouldn't care but in a crowded week where you've got games like MGS, Mad Max and Gears of War on the horizon which both have considerable replay or value for money, a game that is essentially only good for one or two playthroughs might be put on the backburner.

Having worked in retail previously I think people forget that not everyone buys every single game that comes out.

I think it's a valid complaint. But also one that probably strikes a few nerves after The Order fiasco.

I wrote this review and couldn't help but mention it.. Most players could finish it in 7-8 hours and not want to play it again... Putting this against a game like Metal Gear Solid which is releasing within the same week for the same price. Value seems a little off for the average gamer that can only buy one game every few months...

I can understand that, but it's unfair to use that a reason to criticise the price point. You can't really compare a linear cinematic game to the likes of Mad Mad and MGS and say one might have been better to lower its price so its value proposition stands out against the others.

Nicely written review for the most part though.

I know, this game is meant to be replayed to get the best ending.
Also hot damn the PS Camera function sounds awesome. I may have to pick one up as well.

Exactly. There's multiple endings and while I do accept some people won't replay it, it's unfair to criticise the price point because some people don't want to get the most out of their purchase. That's not really the games fault.

I know some of us on here probably wouldn't care but in a crowded week where you've got games like MGS, Mad Max and Gears of War on the horizon which both have considerable replay or value for money, a game that is essentially only good for one or two playthroughs might be put on the backburner.

Having worked in retail previously I think people forget that not everyone buys every single game that comes out.

I think it's a valid complaint. But also one that probably strikes a few nerves after The Order fiasco.

I can appreciate that, but I still think the price point criticism is an unfair one.

spekkeh

Banned
What you want a story game to be 100 hours of padding?

Buddy at work asked me to find a picture of the killer and I think I just spoiled the game for myself.
It showed the name of the killer, which is also the name of a character I've seen in trailers.
I was so looking forward to this too. :(

Luckily you're both wrong.

Let's hope the VA holds up, that's one thing that can easily ruin the experience in a game like this.

It's the best one I've seen/heard in ages.

do we have an estimate on length of the game?

Mine was around 9 hours.

Whether you agree or not a price point will always be an issue for most people.
Nobody is saying the game is shit, I just think $39.99 would have been a better price point.
I'm still buying it though.

Whether you agree or not a price point will always be an issue for most people.
Nobody is saying the game is shit, I just think $39.99 would have been a better price point.
I'm still buying it though.

Full price is very valid given the voice actors, story and the looks and sounds of this game. This is a full AAA production.

Top Bottom