• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Whew! Finally finished this game 100%! I was a little disappointed in the second half of the game and lack of the ability to really
save Josh without him going Windego.
Overall though a decent game and I look forward to another game by the developer. Hopefully they will recast some of the actors and actresses, I enjoyed a good portion of them.

Carnby

I immediately recognized Larry Fassender in the game. I was like "that's the guy in You're Next!" I love that movie btw.

Finished the game this afternoon, I really loved it. This has single-handedly sold me a PS4, and it didn't disappoint me one bit. Only thing I would improve so far it's the save system. I think it's good that you have only one save slot and that you are forced to stick with the consequences of your actions for your first playthrough, but I feel they should open up a bit more options for the subsequent playthroughs, basically stealing the same save system LiS has, which is nothing short of perfection. Multiple save slot to save multiple "stories" at once, the ability to branch from a saveslot into another one, the ability to play chapters in simple collectibles mode... all those options should be available after your first, unchangeable, playthrough.

By the way here's the outcome of my first (and thus "real") playtrhough:

Ashley:
I got her killed by following the wishpers in the caves and then inspecting the trap door. I DID read that wendigos were able to mimic their pray, but the game managed to trick me by showing me Jess being alive and lost just before that section. So stupid of me, I was rooting for her and Chris to come out alive :(
Chris:
I saved him: I chose to save Ashley vs Josh and refused to shot her, so she opened the door for me when I needed it.
Josh:
I saved him, even though he ended up being a wendigo: I found the journal and some other clue about Hanna. I guess this is the best scenario for him, there's not properly rescuing him, right?
Mike:
I saved him... but I didn't save the wolf. I kicked it in chapter 5, so he didn't follow me in chapter 9. I'm a bad person, I know.
Jess:
I got her killed by choosing to run in chapter 10 instead of hiding. This was also my fault, by then it was very well established that the best way to escape from a wenidgo is by standing still, but I panicked and tried to run nonetheless.
Emily:
I saved her. She was bitten, but refused to shoot her as Mike
Matt:
The first one I got killed: I escaped the herd, but when we got to the radio tower he shot the flare gun immediately, and I tried twice to get to Emily instead of jumping. I got him killed by the hook in his mouth. Ouch
Sam:
I got her killed by failing the second "don't move" quicktime event in the final scene. This really pissed me off, I managed to survive the first one by letting the pad down on the couch, and when I saw she and Mike where plotting to blow everything up I regained control of it ready to some button prompt... and that was the end of the cheerleader

So that's and even split, 4 rescued and 4 gone. I guess I can't complain too much :)

Bane

Josh:
I saved him, even though he ended up being a wendigo: I found the journal and some other clue about Hanna. I guess this is the best scenario for him, there's not properly rescuing him, right?

Regarding Josh,
no, that's his "survived" ending. I did the same thing as you with Jessica. As soon as it switched to the Wendigo's vision I realized I fucked up and felt incredibly stupid.

T.O.P

Banned
Yup, just finished this, so far it locked down a place in my goty top 3

I'll do a second playthrough on Halloween with some friends coming over...and i'll try really fuckin hard to save one certain character wich got killed by my cat jumping on my lap :|

Can i have a sequel already? pls

Just received this as a gift yesterday, started last night.....

I didn't want to stop. This game is fantastic. It has the perfect amount of campiness, tension, jump scares and overall atmosphere. Is it a ghost story, psycho killer escape simulator, psychological horror? I'm only a bit into it, but I'm loving that it seems to be
all three at once so far.

CHC

So honestly is it gonna be worth playing this game if I already know who the killer is? I spoiled it for myself accidentally and now I feel somewhat less interested, even though all I saw was a name with no context at all.

So honestly is it gonna be worth playing this game if I already know who the killer is? I spoiled it for myself accidentally and now I feel somewhat less interested, even though all I saw was a name with no context at all.

There's more going on in this game then you think.

Replicant

Play the game. You'll have fun.

Played through this in one sit-down last night. Holy cow was I immersed. You can tell the writers are true horror fans of all genres.

I'm excited to play through again. Going to have to cheat and see the trophy list because I did pretty well and got very few.

Only things that pulled this away from one of my top games from the past 5-10 years were the collectibles and the frame rate. Game was gorgeous, but there were way too many jittery scenes that pulled me away.

Stupid one collectible causing Josh to die

Kalentan

Okay so my survivors were:

Sam, Chris and Emily

To think I thought I was going to complete the game will everyone surviving.

So when I choose a chapter, will it load all of my choices up until those chapters?

Made it out with everyone except for
Jess and Matt. Matt
was one of my favorites so that was a tough one to swallow (no death-related pun intended). The method for getting him through alive seems kind of nonsensical though.

I bought this yesterday at best buy for 20 and talked my gf into playing it. She gets scared very easily and the most gaming she's done is very casual super smash play. I gave her the controller from the very beginning and she could legit not put it down. I'm amazed at how fast she memorized the Playstation controls without looking because I have gamer friends that look down sometimes. Before we knew it 4 hours passed and she was loving it. She didn't know games that played like this existed so I'm excited to show her the walking dead since it plays similar and she's a big fan of the show. This game is one of my favorite this year so far.

chadskin

I bought this yesterday at best buy for 20 and talked my gf into playing it. She gets scared very easily and the most gaming she's done is very casual super smash play. I gave her the controller from the very beginning and she could legit not put it down. I'm amazed at how fast she memorized the Playstation controls without looking because I have gamer friends that look down sometimes. Before we knew it 4 hours passed and she was loving it. She didn't know games that played like this existed so I'm excited to show her the walking dead since it plays similar and she's a big fan of the show. This game is one of my favorite this year so far.

Show her Life is Strange! Show her Life is Strange! Show her Life is Strange!

brau

Played it with my wife, first game she has ever asked me if we could keep playing. Sessions of 2 to 3 hrs too. Had a blast playing this with her.

Show her Life is Strange! Show her Life is Strange! Show her Life is Strange!

I thought she would enjoy Life is Strange, but she said the presentation and narrative are not as engaging as UD. She did say she was curious to see where the story went. But overall, has not asked me to play the game.

UD is so far one of the biggest surprised for me this year. Such a great experience. I actually wish the production behind this game was in Resident Evil. Looks so good.

Same thing, I bought this as a game for my gf and I to play together and she couldn't get enough of it. If I didn't take force some breaks we probably would have powered through it in two sittings.

Holy shit this game is good! I picked this up yesterday because it was $40 @ BB($32 w/GCU) and I'm blown away. I ended up playing for three hours straight last night and it only felt like one. I enjoyed Heavy Rain enough but this is on a whole other level. It's the characters that are really impressing me. I actually care about these idiot kids. I gotta give it up to the actors and the performance capture for really sucking me into the story and making me truly feel for the first time like I'm playing a movie. This is what Beyond and The Order tried to do and failed at, good characters. Who knew all it takes is good characters that actually get you invested in the story and their ultimate fate to turn a decent game into a great one.

Easily my favorite story-driven game since The Last of Us. This is exactly what I was looking for to get into the Halloween spirit! Now I'm REALLY pissed that Sony didn't advertise this at all. It's fucking baffling.

Made it out with everyone except for
Jess and Matt. Matt
was one of my favorites so that was a tough one to swallow (no death-related pun intended). The method for getting him through alive seems kind of nonsensical though.
When you do what you need to do to save Matt it makes sense within the context.

ron_bato

Finally bought Until Dawn! I was hoping to hold off until Halloween but I couldn't wait any longer.

Played for about an hour to an hour and a half, and so far it's everything I hoped it would be. The acting, and writing sure is on point for what I was expecting and hoping for. I usually play choice based games by trying to be myself, but I thought I'd be a little bit more fun and try to play characters based on their personalities.

I tried going with motion controls for a bit, but I didn't like how they work when you're aiming. What control set did you guys use? Would you recommend sticking with traditional controls, or do the motion controls add a lot to the experience?

Also, I think I've been pressing the share button too much lol. There's just so many possibilities in terms of great shots to take. The game is definitely one of the best looking games out there right now.

My girlfriend finished this game last night, so fucking good and my biggest surprise of the year. Everything was going kinda decent until the last hour when she made some mistakes. Went from 6 people to two real quick. I can't wait to start my personal playthrough to try and have everyone live.

The final survivors were
Sam and em. My gf flipped the switch too early and I witnessed the face of regret immediately. Lol

ron_bato

Just got prompted for a massive 8.6 GB patch, this is going to take me 8 hours to download lol.

Anybody got patch notes? Can't seem to find any.

Hasney

I just wish I knew what was up with PS4 patching sometimes. I freed up 30GB and this patch and the Rocket League patch were both bitching at me for more space. Rebuilt database just in case and nothing, taking it to 50GB free worked fine.

Patch Notes: Version 1.03
Fixes to prevent progression blocker in Episode 9 (including fix for existing save games suffering from the issue)
Option for inverted Y aiming controls added to Settings menu
Fixes for unlocking "Ashley Snaps" and "The Exorcism of Emily" trophies
Improved stability of Episode selection menu
Various bug fixes

"11.7 GB? Does this come with the MGSV Chapter 3?"

Lol such a big patch for so little.

Patch Notes: Version 1.03
Fixes to prevent progression blocker in Episode 9 (including fix for existing save games suffering from the issue)
Option for inverted Y aiming controls added to Settings menu
Fixes for unlocking "Ashley Snaps" and "The Exorcism of Emily" trophies
Improved stability of Episode selection menu
Various bug fixes

"11.7 GB? Does this come with the MGSV Chapter 3?"

Lol such a big patch for so little.

Unmentioned Halloween chapter?

Certainly seems a bit beefy for so little.

Solobbos

Still hoping for changes to the chapter replay options. Would love to collect everything by just playing the chapters I need to.

leehom

I've played eps 2 multiple times and can't unlock Matt's scene at the end of the chapter. Does anyone know what I need to do to trigger it?

Edit: So fucking retarded. Playing eps and skipping them does NOTHING. You have to start from the episode where you want to change the story and completely finish the game for the events to save.

Wasted so many hours replaying missions to get the outcome I wanted only to find it was useless.

They should've added a skip cut scene option in the 10 gig patch after you completed the game so you don't waste so much time re-watching every single one billion times.

Finaika

Thinking about getting it to play with my wife. I need to know though, because of recent happenings, is there a scene where somebody is hanged?

One of them can die by suspending in the air with a hook lodged into his throat.

Other than that, haven't seen any hanging deaths though.

I picked this up from the Best Buy sale and sadly I'm not impressed so far. I'm somewhere around chapter 3 or 4 so it's early yet.

My main beef is this game seems to be entirely devoid of creativity. Every scenario, cheap jump scare and piece of dialogue has been experienced a thousand times before in other places. Now I'm not the type to demand everything to reinvent the wheel. The slasher genre has rules and I'm totally ok with that. It's just not being done particularly well here.

I'm just hoping this is going somewhere interesting. My wife is absolutely loving it however. If it weren't for that I probably would have traded it in today.

Basically the whole time I'm just wishing it was a survival horror game a la Resident Evil 1-3.

ron_bato

Just beat it for the first time and I loved it. And lol at me for falling for one of the oldest genre staples in the book.

when Ashley went away from the group to inspect whether Jessica was still alive in the mines -- I opened the shaft and got decapitated. It sucks because I really liked her. But wow - that was gruesome

Game is gorgeous too, which is helped by the excellent lighting and camera work in the game. Must have taken something like 600 screenshots in the game. The score is really excellent too. Well done. I'll be replaying again soon, this time with my cousins. It should be fun to see how they react and what decisions they make.

Erevador

Playing through this with my girlfriend and having an absolute blast. I am firmly aware of the game's limits, but they are in no way impeding our enjoyment.

We just got
to the radio tower
. This is probably the most pure fun that I have had with a game experience so far this year.

when Ashley went away from the group to inspect whether Jessica was still alive in the mines -- I opened the shaft and got decapitated. It sucks because I really liked her. But wow - that was gruesome
When I got to that part
I nope'd the hell outta there. Jessica was dead in my story, so I knew it was a trick. The thing is, by me just moving on from that part I missed a collectible. That's okay, I got it on my all deaths run. >:)
We just got the radio tower
. This is probably the most pure fun that I have had with a game experience so far this year.
I'm being a spoiler Nazi, absolutely, but maybe declaring this borders on "spoiler?"

Top Bottom