• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Shinjiru

I've had this since launch but I'm just now getting around to playing it. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Can't wait to play more.

Calabi

This game is great. I dont really like horror games that much dont like the one note and being terrified all the way through. But I bought it on a whim and this works so well.

I managed to get everyone alive until the end without cheating or knowing the choices, some I made by a complete fluke on my first play through(I was a little disappointed and confused how someone did survive though). I'm kind of proud of that after hearing so many people failed at this. However Sam did panic in the end and fled killing everyone. Then she sacrificed herself, but eventually everyone survived.

It would make a good movie just watching it but having the choices and the "what do I do? oh shit what do I do?" moments just makes it way better. And the whole butterfly system mean all your choices have a meaningful effect. It boils it down to the most significant moments it didn't require you to do pointless actions, it was very efficient in it's flow.

They should make more games like it, using a similar game play style.

kaskade

Ended up getting this with the target buy two get one sale. Figured it be a good game for me and the girlfriend to play together. I feel like she'd enjoying making some choices while I have the controls.

Played an hour or two with my roommates. The presentation is amazing.
Screw you, wolverine and goggle man.
LOL @ spoilers.

My friend was streaming Until Dawn for charity over the weekend. I got to watch her encounter that first spoiler. She jumped and scooted back in her chair. It was so much fun to see.

Watching others play Until Dawn is easily as enjoyable as actually playing it yourself.

w0s

Okay consider my mind blown. Not saying it is GOAT or even game of the year but holy shit I did not expect to enjoy this game as much as I am.

I rented a movie on redbox this weekend and when i went to check out it said I could rent a game for free. There wasn't anything I wanted to play and always wanted to check out 'Until Dawn' anyways so I figured I would use it on that. I figured I would try it for hour and not pop it back in. Instead Over that day I made it to the final chapter and can't wait to go home and finish it off.

I am pissed that i screwed up one of my choices (my own fault I had the guidance totem in mind but didn't really think through what I was doing) it ended up costing me killing someone and a relationship that I was pretty happy about. Oh well. I wouldn't change it if I could because in these games I like living with my own consequences, but it doesn't really fit how I saw it playing out in my head. Maybe that is a good thing. The other two that have died I think fit pretty well in to how they would behave and being that it is a horror movie I really am okay with everybody not surviving.

This just really reinforces how much I do enjoy these types of games. I loved heavy rain despite the slow beginning and just can't get on board with people saying there isn't enough gameplay or that the QTE's aren't a good form of entertainment.

For those on the fence I after all these months I am really not a horror fan. I don't enjoy horror movies (and it isn't because I get scared, hell even in this after the first hours I started to know when jump scares would happen) but really enjoyed going through it even when the story or the way people would behave sometimes was campy.

If I have bought the standard edition, will I be able to buy the extra chapter from the Extended edition on the PlayStation Store?
To my knowledge, no. And from what I understand the bonus scene is very short and doesn't change the story one way or another. I wouldn't sweat it.

Alucrid

Banned
i think i watched 2-3 live streams of the game and i'm playing it now...still way different than the ones i watched. so goddamn good.

NeatoKuni

for those curious about the DLC scene it takes place in chapter 2 and all that happens is
Emily and Matt go looking for her missing bag and she pranks him by pretending a totem pole is attacking her and you get the option to either pull her arm out (which results in her laughing at you) or to investigate what’s grabbing her arm which leads to this gifset. If anything all the DLC did was make Matt seem kinda douchey, maybe it was just me but he was super pushy about having sex with emily to the point of clearing off a table in the snow and saying to just do it right there and he was just super thirsty. It did make Emily more likable but honestly Matt felt really out of character in the scene so it definitely felt like cut content that they threw back in to help sell pre-orders.

I have a couple of questions now that I'm about halfway through the game (chapter 5).

Are there trophies during the game, or only at the end depending on who survives? I have zero trophies, and I don't want to spoil myself and look up their definitions.

Do my answers during the therapy or "doctor" sessions factor much into the game? I recently got spooked by a clown puppet, and I chose clowns as scaring me, so if I chose scarecrows, would it have been a scarecrow? What about choosing what characters I liked or disliked? Snakes v rats?

I recently looked at some of the collectables in the main menu, and it seems I'm missing some stuff. Are things locked into chapters? Can I go back and get them, can I replay specific chapters when I'm done, or do I have to start over to get things I might have missed?

NeatoKuni

Are there trophies during the game, or only at the end depending on who survives? I have zero trophies,
You get certain trophies by who survives and you also get some when you encounter specific deaths. The only other trophies are collectible ones.

Do my answers during the therapy or "doctor" sessions factor much into the game? I recently got spooked by a clown puppet, and I chose clowns as scaring me, so if I chose scarecrows, would it have been a scarecrow? What about choosing what characters I liked or disliked? Snakes v rats?
Just keep playing and look for what you chose. A lot of the changes take place in the sessions themselves. iirc, how you rate the characters changes their attitude or something.

I recently looked at some of the collectables in the main menu, and it seems I'm missing some stuff. Are things locked into chapters? Can I go back and get them, can I replay specific chapters when I'm done, or do I have to start over to get things I might have missed?

Once you finish the game you get the option to select episodes. DON'T SELECT A NEW GAME, IT'LL DELETE YOUR COLLECTIBLES. ONLY CHOOSE THE EPISODES OPTION

oni_saru

I just finished playing this on Sunday!! Really enjoyed it. I love games like these. (i liked Heavy Rain, Beyond, Telltale stuff)

I ended up saving just two
would have been three but i didn't realize Matt still stayed in the house as Sam went to get out after Em left. Surprisingly Em lived even though i had planned to get her killed lol i found her super annoying but by the end she grew on me. I liked that she didn't snap despite all the shit that was happening unlike Ashley. Still mad Ashley killed Chris in my game. :/

Fav female character was Sam. And fav guy character was Chris!

Gonna try to platinum it!

Nola

Hubs picked this up for me for $5 on BF. LOOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!!!!!!! I managed to save 7 in my first playthrough without looking up hints. Planning to play a few more times. Hubs has been enjoying laughing at me every time I jump/scream at any remotely scary thing in the game....including when the title pops up on the main screen. o_O

RedAssedApe

Banned
regarding jessica
is the only condition you need to satisfy to save her in chapter 4 that you can't botch any of the quick time button presses? or does the path you take matter, i.e. you need to take all of the harder shortcuts?

also lol at matt and the herd
the fucking game purposely makes it seem like they are going attack you by bringing up the weapon cursor

Elitist1945

regarding jessica
is the only condition you need to satisfy to save her in chapter 4 that you can't botch any of the quick time button presses? or does the path you take matter, i.e. you need to take all of the harder shortcuts?

also lol at matt and the herd
the fucking game purposely makes it seem like they are going attack you by bringing up the weapon cursor

Yeah thank God I saw
PS Access' demo video and knew not to hit the deer.

Calabi

Hubs picked this up for me for $5 on BF. LOOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!!!!!!! I managed to save 7 in my first playthrough without looking up hints. Planning to play a few more times. Hubs has been enjoying laughing at me every time I jump/scream at any remotely scary thing in the game....including when the title pops up on the main screen. o_O

I kept jumping at the title as screen well. Why'd they do that.

eso76

Went in almost blind and it's a very interesting product.
Loving the therapist bits.

Just wish it had more freedom during actual gameplay and you could make choices besides the options you pick during cutscenes. Like, i dunno, NOT walking down the road where my character had just seen..scary stuff happening ahead ?
Game feels so linear I wonder if it's even possible to miss totems and clues.

Plus I get the feeling it always rewards "sensible, nice guy" choices which could become predictable. I mean, the mechanism behind it shouldn't be that transparent, and the outcome shouldn't just be good or bad or multiple playthrough where you try new options are going to feel forced.
I'm very early so I might be wrong and despite that I still think it's very entertaining and I want to see more games like it.

The tech should totally be used for a RE-Remake-Remake.

Slightly bothered by the framerate and lack of motion blur.

RedAssedApe

Banned
oh god...emily
slapping
ashley had me rolling. i love how despite everything they go through emily just continues to be herself lol

TheBear

Is it possible to turn off the "butterfly effect" thing and status updates?
Kind of just want to play it and not realise minor choices have had consequences.

Also is this game structured similar to VLR with choices?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Great game. Nice pallete cleanser after having played one open world game after another for the past few months. Play time clocked around 7 hours.

A bit annoying for the trophy hunters though due to a lot of them requiring bad things to happen to get popped lol. Then again i guess there's the whole replay value thing. Any way to skip cutscenes? That would make it be a bit more tolerable. Especially the "previously on until dawn" that plays before every chapter.

Just finished my first playthrough today and found it very fun. But, was the audio off for anyone else? It sounded tinny and had some echo, like the actor's audio was performed in a echo chamber or the mic was far away from their voice.

I tried my TV and my Wireless Golds with the Until Dawn preset and it still sounded off. Kinda bugged me since this game feels like it should have that part down pat.

eso76

Is it possible to turn off the "butterfly effect" thing and status updates?
Kind of just want to play it and not realise minor choices have had consequences.

Also is this game structured similar to VLR with choices?

I also thought it was a weird choice showing you the exact spot where branching happens.
Haven't finished the game yet (close though) and just wanted to know:
Can everyone be saved ?
Finding stuff and clues has no effect on the story, right ? What about therapy, do your answers affect anything major ?

I also thought it was a weird choice showing you the exact spot where branching happens.
Haven't finished the game yet (close though) and just wanted to know:
Can everyone be saved ?
Finding stuff and clues has no effect on the story, right ? What about therapy, do your answers affect anything major ?

Yes, everyone can be saved.

Without going into spoilers and trying to be vague, there are clues that when found affect future outcomes.

The therapy sessions affect the therapists office. It changes based on what you select. There are minor touches throughout the story based on what you chose. For example, I chose that I was afraid of spiders and a spider crawled across the TV screen when my viewpoint changed to that of a video camera.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Yes, everyone can be saved.

Without going into spoilers and trying to be vague, there are clues that when found affect future outcomes.

The therapy sessions affect the therapists office. It changes based on what you select. There are minor touches throughout the story based on what you chose. For example, I chose that I was afraid of spiders and a spider crawled across the TV screen when my viewpoint changed to that of a video camera.

yep you definitely want to find all the clues if you're trying to go for a perfect play through. applies to replays of the game as well even though you might have already found a clue in your first play through

Joni

Fuck, finished off the entire game with all collectibles except one glitched one. Select Episodes to pick it up again, but looks like all my collectibles have disappeared...

TheBear

Just finished my first playthrough today and found it very fun. But, was the audio off for anyone else? It sounded tinny and had some echo, like the actor's audio was performed in a echo chamber or the mic was far away from their voice.

I tried my TV and my Wireless Golds with the Until Dawn preset and it still sounded off. Kinda bugged me since this game feels like it should have that part down pat.

Yeah I found it really shitty also, moreso with cans on. Like you I expected it to be top notch

SomTervo

Can I just check – just how adult is this game?

Seeing a lot of family in the next couple of weeks, most of whom are super into horror and thrillers. So I'm considering grabbing this so we can all sit and have a good blast over Xmas.

However, my cousins may be in the room - they're not young young. 13 and 16 years old. Both enjoy the odd scary/intense film, probably 15 or 18 rates (UK). Is that OK for this game? Or is there any full-blown inappropriate/disturbing sex/harsh violence in there?

I doubt there is, but it would be good to hear more opinions.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Can I just check – just how adult is this game?

Seeing a lot of family in the next couple of weeks, most of whom are super into horror and thrillers. So I'm considering grabbing this so we can all sit and have a good blast over Xmas.

However my cousins may be in the room - they're not young young. 13 and 16 year old. Is that OK for this game? Or is there any full-blown sex/harsh violence in there?

sexual jokes but no nudity or acts (bummer lol). there is plenty of uncensored gore (think your average R-rated slasher film)...which may or may not be appropriate for the teens (depending on who you ask)

you can look at the esrb page if you don't care about spoilers.

SomTervo

sexual jokes but no nudity or acts (bummer lol). there is plenty of uncensored gore (think your average R-rated slasher film)...which may or may not be appropriate for the teens (depending on who you ask)

you can look at the esrb page if you don't care about spoilers.

Sounds all good to me. Classic "desensitised to violence but not sex" story. So violence is OK.

Cheers pal.

Plasma

Banned
Just got the game for my Christmas break, I barely know anything about it. Any tips before I get started?
Have fun and don't sweat it too much about making the "wrong" choices you can always play through again for an everybody lives run.

Szadek

I got the game for 20€ and I will start playing it soon.
Well,once the almost 12GB patch is done downloading, so I guess I won't play it anytime soon.

Cracklox

So picked this up cheap last week knowing minimal about it (heavy rain style game meets teens slasher flick with purdy graphics was about all I knew) and played through the first 4-5 chapters over a few play sessions, and it wasn't really grabbing me.

While waiting for 1 or two other 'long term' games I play to download updates and/or fix server issues last night I decided to give it 1 more chance to pull me in. Well, finished chapters 5, and 6 last night and I'm 100% sold now! Its getting really interesting and I'm excited to see where it goes.

I accidently spoiled one or things though when I was looking up how I get certain people to survive
turns out the old 'don't believe they're dead unless you see the brutally mutilated body' rule applies. Also accidently saw Joshs 'secret' identity but I believe that's gets revealed in chapter 7 where I'm up to anyway. Curious to know how he pulled off the sawblade part. Seems a little overly elaborate
. Also is it wrong that I take every opportunity
to revel in videogame self dismemberment. Option came for Mike to lop off his fingers and didn't think twice lol. At least that knife was able to serve me well with where I got to last night.

Also, not sure about the Heavy Rain comparisons. For better or worse that had a lot more QTE's that were used far more creatively. They're pretty basic here, but the story itself and choices within certainly seem a lot better so far.

TheBear

You get certain trophies by who survives and you also get some when you encounter specific deaths. The only other trophies are collectible ones.

Just keep playing and look for what you chose. A lot of the changes take place in the sessions themselves. iirc, how you rate the characters changes their attitude or something.

Once you finish the game you get the option to select episodes. DON'T SELECT A NEW GAME, IT'LL DELETE YOUR COLLECTIBLES. ONLY CHOOSE THE EPISODES OPTION

If I want to get good ending should I just play the chapters?

Also can anyone recommend a guide for getting the good ending? The ones I've seen are all character specific, I'd prefer if they did it sequentially

Also, a 'skip this non-interactive section I've already seen' feature is sorely missing. As it is, I have zero interest in replaying the game. I'm just not going to sit through seven hours of cutscenes I've already seen, just to watch the differences between one path or another.
Thanks for your review/thoughts. I was all set to buy this right now, but glad I read the OT first for some impressions as this has changed my mind on buying this. There's no way I'm sitting through cutscenes I've already seen on mulitple playthroughs.

I got the game for 20€ and I will start playing it soon.
Well,once the almost 12GB patch is done downloading, so I guess I won't play it anytime soon.
Glad I read that too! FUCK patches that big!

I got this as a present for Christmas and finally started it last night. I have just got to the beginning of the 3rd chapter and every jump scare has got me apart from the one
in the basement where Chris was messing around
. It really creates a tense and creepy atmosphere. I know I am probably meant to, but I already hate most of the characters and I am looking forward to how my opinion gets changed as the story progresses.

SlickVic

Just played for a good 6 hours straight to get to Chapter 8. Part of what compels me to play for so long is the moment to moment tension the game creates is incredibly well done and makes me want to see what happens next. But as someone who can't really stomach anything from the horror genre, I feel I'm also just very eager to be done with the game as soon as I can. I'm glad folks recommended it though since the game is another great example of interactive storytelling, but suffice to say I probably wont be able to dabble in multiple playthroughs.

Fox Mulder

Beat it and had fun. Only had one real death as two more were caused by the stupid sensitive motion gimmick. The controller was level on a table and still failed.

Just got the game and going to be digging into it soon but I see I missed out on a bonus chapter as part of a pre order bonus

Is the scene important or worth it?

If I have to youtube it, when in the game should I do so?

RedAssedApe

Banned
Just got the game and going to be digging into it soon but I see I missed out on a bonus chapter as part of a pre order bonus

Is the scene important or worth it?

If I have to youtube it, when in the game should I do so?

its just matt and emma going back down to look for her luggage right after everyone makes it to the cabin. its not really important to the game.

Beat it and had fun. Only had one real death as two more were caused by the stupid sensitive motion gimmick. The controller was level on a table and still failed.

i didn't have any trouble holding the ds4 still. bychance was this during the
end sequence in the cabin with the wendigo and it comes right up to your face? if so that actually just means you made the wrong choice. there's no way to survive as sam even if you stay still.

Top Bottom