• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn |OT| I know what you'll play this summer

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm watching Mr Robot and it's cool to see Malek is hitting it big now. He was born to play weird/creepy characters with those eyes.

Finally finished the game, and 2nd Platinum I have. Looking forward to Summer Camp style sequel if they make one.
Also this is want I wanted The Order should have been

Jeremy

I'm going for the Platinum but can't seem to get my episodes to correct themselves from my original run. Is this normal?

The specific problem I'm running into is that
Matt dies even though he jumped when Emily fell
. There's no point where I can alter this.

ron_bato

When I got to that part
I nope'd the hell outta there. Jessica was dead in my story, so I knew it was a trick. The thing is, by me just moving on from that part I missed a collectible. That's okay, I got it on my all deaths run. >:)

I'm being a spoiler Nazi, absolutely, but maybe declaring this borders on "spoiler?"

You're a smarter man than I.
I fucking fell for it like a complete sucker lol. But that was really one of the most fun parts of the game for me. I only felt that kind of shock before and I think it was during episode 3 of The Walking Dead Season 1 (the game not the series). Knowing it was such a bad idea and yet trying to rationalize what I was doing leading to that event - lol, I couldn't believe it.

I'm going for the Platinum but can't seem to get my episodes to correct themselves from my original run. Is this normal?

The specific problem I'm running into is that
Matt dies even though he jumped when Emily fell
. There's no point where I can alter this.

After your first playthrough, chapter select opens up but it always keeps for each chapter entry point the decisions you made on your first run. This means you can jump in the story at any chapter, but you can only alter the timeline from that point onwards, and your new decisions won't stick. You have to reach the ending in that single sit to see the new ending, but your chapter select will still keep the decisions you made on your first playthrough

You're a smarter man than I.
I fucking fell for it like a complete sucker lol. But that was really one of the most fun parts of the game for me.
You're absolutely right about that third sentence. I had so much fun going through the game, not knowing how my decisions would affect me in the end. And the second time around, even though the tension was mostly gone (I still got scared during a few parts, haha!), it was fun for different reasons, just to see how that play through would be different than my first.

I can't rave about this game enough. I gifted it to my friend and he and his girlfriend played through it all in on sitting, at expense of playing through the night and the morning. That was so cool to hear!

Played through this in one go yesterday with a friend and had an absolute blast.

We split characters between each other. I played Chris, Ashley, Jess, and Mike while he played Sam, Emily, Matt, and Josh.

Motherfucker got Jess killed when he was playing as Matt in the mines. Out of spite, I elbowed him during the "don't move" segment and got Mike killed. Revenge is sweet.

Then when he was playing Sam at the end, he ran for the switch at the first opportunity and sacrificed everyone to escape. God damn.

Pretty disappointed with our ending, especially all my favorite characters died because of my friend, but I suppose that's what happens when you share a playthrough.

Still had a ton of fun and absolutely loved the game. Hope for a successor.

Sorry if this has been asked...

How does Until Dawn hold up with Remote Play? Solid experience?

Not tried tbh, I guess it should be okay, although the shooting might be a bit of a panic. Also not sure how the "Keep Still" moments might work.

Finished my first play through last night and have to say it was absolutely brilliant, even the way they do the end credits is great. Really hope they go on to make another game in a similar way.

BumRush

Wow this community is really inactive.

Played the first 2-3 hours earlier. Absolutely incredible so far. With a good set of headphones it's actually scary (I expected cheese and jump scares, not atmosphere)

Replicant

Wow this community is really inactive.

Played the first 2-3 hours earlier. Absolutely incredible so far. With a good set of headphones it's actually scary (I expected cheese and jump scares, not atmosphere)

Most of us took chance and played it when it first came out (week before MGSV) and proud of it.

Jeremy

I've been trying to platinum but I just gave up. Some of this shit is absolutely miserable revisiting. No skipping scenes, one New Story at a time that deletes your collectibles and access to different episodes, can't change the story by switching through episodes, relying on QTEs to keep people alive. I guess the game isn't built around collecting achievements but all of those seem like oversight.

Luckily I still have
everyone alive in chapter 6 but god damn I don't know if I can watch those scenes over and over again. I fucked up with Matt and Emily and listening to them bitch at each other is miserable. And oh my god, the fucking STAIRS.

Anyway, I can play the game with my eyes closed at this point.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Bought it after seeing the teens react episode and I've just finished my first play through
Managed to keep 6 alive
7 including Josh wendigo. Unfortunately I fell for the voices in the mines and got Ash killed. Knew I made a mistake as soon as I selected to follow them but it wouldn't let me turn back

Annoyingly I missed just one clue in the Twins, and one clue for 1952

Really enjoyed the game. Usually cant stand horror because I'm a wimp

Jeremy

Bought it after seeing the teens react episode and I've just finished my first play through
Managed to keep 6 alive
7 including Josh wendigo. Unfortunately I fell for the voices in the mines and got Ash killed. Knew I made a mistake as soon as I selected to follow them but it wouldn't let me turn back

Annoyingly I missed just one clue in the Twins, and one clue for 1952

Really enjoyed the game. Usually cant stand horror because I'm a wimp

You can keep going through the cave with the voices to meet back up with Sam, Ash and Chris.

An-Det

After your first playthrough, chapter select opens up but it always keeps for each chapter entry point the decisions you made on your first run. This means you can jump in the story at any chapter, but you can only alter the timeline from that point onwards, and your new decisions won't stick. You have to reach the ending in that single sit to see the new ending, but your chapter select will still keep the decisions you made on your first playthrough

Question on this. I'm about to go through again (starting using chapter select so it doesn't wipe my collectibles), what would happen if I have to exit the game and choose Resume at the main menu (which is the only option if I fuck up an important qte), will it load with the original choices or the new run? Or is it recommended that I just start anew for the collectibles/save everyone run?

Jeremy

Man, I assumed that keeping everyone alive was up to skill, not a seemingly random choice you made 10 minutes earlier

I think that's just the nature of these types of games.

I finally platinumed and I'm trading in the game for Best Buy today. I bought the game during that sale last week (?) and also got a really nice trade-in value of $32. Not bad at all considering I actually paid $32 for the game.

BumRush

I think that's just the nature of these types of games.

Yeah, it was an extremely enjoyable experience anyway, but I only saved 3 people. Out of the 5 that died, none were from incorrect button presses, rather they were from the wrong choice.

Also... $32 trade in right now?

DR2K

Banned
Game falls apart when the
wendigos
were introduced. Would have preferred for no supernatural elements. I really loved the game before that. It was truly unique gaming experience and then it lost what made it scary and become like every other
zombie horror game.

Jeremy

Yeah, it was an extremely enjoyable experience anyway, but I only saved 3 people. Out of the 5 that died, none were from incorrect button presses, rather they were from the wrong choice.

Also... $32 trade in right now?

It was at $30 when I checked today which is still a hell of a deal.

BumRush

Game falls apart when the
wendigos
were introduced. Would have preferred for no supernatural elements. I really loved the game before that. It was truly unique gaming experience and then it lost what made it scary and become like every other
zombie horror game.

I agree. It was much scarier when you think that there's a
psychotic ex-sanitarium patient with a grudge against the Washington family hunting down the group one at a time

just started playing this tonight (not sure if I'll finish my 1st playthrough before Halloween ends but we'll see). Completed the 1st two chapters and did chap. 3 for a brief bit. I'm liking this game. The humor's good and I'm liking some characters more than others (others being those I haven't had a chance to spend some time playing with yet). Managed to trigger a couple of Butterfly Effect scenes so it'll be very interesting to see how things will play out

bombshell

Ok, I caved in and bought this in the PSN Halloween deals, even though the discount isn't as big as I had hoped.

I will not be able to really dive into it before tomorrow, but I'm very excited to play it.

At Chap. 6...and I'm fine with some of the recent decisions I've made so far

Character death spoiler
I never really did trust Josh and thought he was in cahoots with the killer so it was a pretty easy decision to have him killed >_>

Character death spoiler
I never really did trust Josh and thought he was in cahoots with the killer so it was a pretty easy decision to have him killed >_>
I'm not spoiling anything for you lazybones, but I'm black-tagging my commentary nonetheless.

The way I saw it, Chris has a thing for Ashley (and they totally needed to hook up), so it made sense for Chris to spare her. That was my justification for chopping Josh in half. And that death scene was fantastically gory!

Thinking about picking this up today, but it will probably be the standard edition, Is the extended editions content worth it/even much extended?

TheRyanx2

Neo Member
I picked this up recently at Best Buy during the sale and beat it a couple days ago. I had a blast playing through this. The horror tropes that I might find annoying in movies ending up being very fun here. It struck a good balance of knowing when to be self aware and when to play it straight. My main beef was with the decisions that lead up to
Matt's potential death
, which felt pretty unconnected to the situation you end up in. I wanted to do a "pure" run and let all the chips fall as they may, but did end up closing the game in panic a couple times towards the end when I made a mistake that got someone iced. I would love to see Supermassive make a sequel or something similar in the future.

They added pumpkins huh?
WNn4V6F.jpg

TheBear

I have a weird question. I'm currently playing through VLR, does Until Dawn and VLR share any similarities? I usually only like to play one narrative type game at a time but VLR is more of a visual novel.

Also, how long is it? Is it a multiple play through type game or one and done?

cheers

bombshell

Wow, this game looks better graphically than I thought.

Only up to chapter 3, but it's very fun so far and a couple jump scares got me good :D

-MD-

It's kind of a joke how heavily this game relies on jump scares. I'm on chapter 8 and I must have seen 2-3 dozen by now.

CHC

I'm very worried about Matt. By far my favorite character. Please tell me what to do to ensure that he survives.

ron_bato

I'm very worried about Matt. By far my favorite character. Please tell me what to do to ensure that he survives.

Let go man, just play the way you'd want to play it in your first try. Being surprised with some gruesome, random death is by far the most fun I've had in this game, and I got to experience 2 of them. Those were the highlights of my first run.

First half has a ridiculous amount of jump scares. Annoying really, and the main flaw with the game.
I don't agree. In my opinion, the jump scares are all part of the Fun House element to the game. And I had just as much fun watching my reaction with the Cheap Shots clips as I did getting scared. Also, I feel like SuperMassive nailed tension perfectly, so when those big scares come it's like a big payoff for all of the buildup. And, more importantly, they've masterfully crafted lulls between those tense moments, giving time to relax and get comfortable before thrown back into those tense feelings again.

If Nathan Drake ever retires,
Mike
would be a good replacement.

Lol as soon as I saw him climbing and jumping around it struck me how similar they were. Also I'm at
2 hours till' dawn iirc, the game really picked up after the part where Mike chases after Jessica.

IronLich

I just finished it today. Managed to make sure everyone survived.

Although
to hell with that final section of DON'T MOVE. They really make you feel that one. I understand the Rumble in the controller simulates the heartbeat of the character, but damn that thing is sensitive. I admit to Homequitting the game as soon as things went south. And they did. Three times. Because the DON'T MOVE is so strict, and even putting the controller down on a flat surface does nothing because the rumble causes shaking, and pushes it out of alignment. It came to the point I had to hold the controller down with two fingers to make sure it didn't move at all.

Otherwise, this may be in my Top 5 of the year. It really puts you into the shoes of these characters. You are ALWAYS second guessing every line of dialogue. Every quick or safe path. You don't want to slip, and get hurt, but you don't want to make your journey harder... but what if it's too late? No other game of its kind really puts you in that situation. You're just choosing replies and actions, and MAYBE it will have an effect on the narrative. Until Dawn definitely changes the progression. From the minor conflicts, to the major outcomes, you're not just molding the scenery, you're also molding the characters. It felt great.

Until Dawn was one of a kind. Kudos to Supermassive.

Quite honestly, I think this might be my game of the year.
Right? I get blank stares from my friends when I tell them this. "It's like an interactive movie; like Heavy Rain, but better. You've got to play it!" And then the ones who have played it go crazy about it and I pretty much say "told ya so!"

I got a work friend, who is a gamer, to buy it. Her and I talked at length about who died in our playthroughs. She's absolutely head over heels for the game, too. Everything about Until Dawn is perfect, except maybe not the FPS, but that never got in the way of me enjoying the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How do I get the
wolf to follow me to the end?
It left me right before I
blew up the hospital.

bombshell

How do I get the
wolf to follow me to the end?
It left me right before I
blew up the hospital.

I don't think you can get it to follow you all the way out.

If your butterfly effect says
"Mike's new friend survived" in the "Man's best friend" butterfly
then you saved it.

NeatoKuni

PSN just updated and there's a free dynamic theme if anyone wanted to snag it. It's awesome, gladly would've paid for it. I only wish the music was maybe an instrumental of some sort instead of the menu music.
CS6yMtOVAAAhkp6.jpg

CS6yXhDUwAALYSM.jpg

NA PSN download link

Darak

I don't know, I just finished the game and the experience was extremely underwhelming. The horror theme did absolutely nothing to me (I love horror movies, I just thing the scares were poorly done and way overused). But the worst thing is that I feel like I missed a lot of story since I lost three characters. One early death was infuriating, with the character doing something stupid without any player input at all. It made absolutely no sense.
Just why the hell did Matt waste the flare gun when I handed it to him in the radio tower? What was the point? We did just activated the power and were going to call for help, and there was a previous hint suggesting that path. What the hell? The game even insults me in my face saying in the butterfly that Matt died because he didn't have the flare gun two minutes later. WTF?
The other deaths were due to the overly sensitive motion sensor mechanic.

The game seriously needed a 'go to previous savepoint' feature for the moments where you screwed up, specially if they wanted small inconsequential twitch moments to become life-or-death scenarios. Also, a 'skip this non-interactive section I've already seen' feature is sorely missing. As it is, I have zero interest in replaying the game. I'm just not going to sit through seven hours of cutscenes I've already seen, just to watch the differences between one path or another.

In hindsight, I would have enjoyed a Youtube playthrough of this game far better than playing it, and that is the way I plan to experience any potential sequel or DLC. I respect the opinions of those who loved it, but I simply can't see this game in the same league as Heavy Rain, Beyond, Life Is Strange, or any of the Telltale games I've played.

someday

Banned
I'm playing this game for the first time and I'm absolutely fucking in love.! I went into this pretty blind so everything has been new including the plot, the previously on, and the therapist stuff. I play and then I sit there going wtf?!? I was shocked t see Ward as a main and dude from Mr. Robot. I'm having a blast even though one person has already died. Holy shit this is a great game!
Um another HOLY SHIT, I had to choose between Josh and Ashley. Wow.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I played it with friends over the weekend and they loved it, even though they both hate anything horror. I insisted to try it out anyway. We started out with the plan to just make it a few hours in and move on to something else, but we finished it that same night. Even replayed the final chapter to save everyone. Was glad to see the game appeals to non-horror fans as well.

Top Bottom