• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Nintendo Patent For Modular, Customisable Control Options - 8/2016

Clefargle

So this thread became the new unofficial NX reveal guessing thread? As a long term Nintendo fan I'm used to waiting and knowing nothing. So masochistic

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why was it announced so far in advance? Is it about the mobile game?

Well we already knew the update was coming and then they had the general Direct, but barely talked about it. So it made sense to explain that more details would come in a dedicated Direct.

maxcriden

So this thread became the new unofficial NX reveal guessing thread? As a long term Nintendo fan I'm used to waiting and knowing nothing. So masochistic

tumblr_mf711vHUIx1s0qwlko1_500.gif

I was reading a post earlier today where someone mentioned they were 3 years old when I of Time released. 3! These young whippersnappers today with their cellular telephonic devices and their open-toed shoes don't know how good they have it. (I was 10 when the game came out. 😉) Well, back in my day we had to wait for our gaming news. For months and sometimes years! By the time E3 rolled around we had to wait another month fir our Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines to arrive in the mail! If we were lucky there were a few grainy shots of Dinosaur Planet and the like. Rassum frassum...these darn kids don't know how good they have it!

tumblr_mf711vHUIx1s0qwlko1_500.gif

I was reading a post earlier today where someone mentioned they were 3 years old when I of Time released. 3! These young whippersnappers today with their cellular telephonic devices and their open-toed shoes don't know how good they have it. (I was 10 when the game came out. 😉) Well, back in my day we had to wait for our gaming news. For months and sometimes years! By the time E3 rolled around we had to wait another month fir our Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines to arrive in the mail! If we were lucky there were a few grainy shots of Dinosaur Planet and the like. Rassum frassum...these darn kids don't know how good they have it!

Thanks now I feel old cause I can relate to that :-(

Ugh the title of this thread keeps throwing me off. Patents don't get "updated." Oh well, any excuse for NX talk!

someone from noe stated that nx will be revealed this year. from nx reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX...person_confirms_reveal_this_year_states_that/

Yeah I saw that, it seems to be a reaffirmation of what Nintendo execs have said before. So while it's nothing new, and they can certainly change their minds and save it for next year, it's good to hear that it's still currently their internal plan. October really seems like the last chance for a reveal this year though, unless by "publicly share more information" they mean talk about a reveal date in January...

Sigh...

ggx2ac

"Nintendo will publicly share NX information this year".

I mean it's funny some people keep thinking it won't be revealed until January. 😂

Nintendo will publicly share NX information this year by... announcing the reveal date of NX to occur in January.

ramparter

Banned
"Yes NX is still coming, it will be released March 2017 along with Breath of the Wild and a few other titles long in development, please be excited for full reveal, early 2017."

spekkeh

Banned

I mean it's funny some people keep thinking it won't be revealed until January. ��

I have no idea how you get a confirmation of revealing anything from that post. It's the most coded, safe way of saying something possible.

"we will share more information about NX within this year" could literally mean Hey guys, we're not going to say anything about NX this year, please understand the full reveal is somewhere in spring, happy hannukah. Heck, "within this year" could even mean October 2017.

Hermii

Ugh the title of this thread keeps throwing me off. Patents don't get "updated." Oh well, any excuse for NX talk!

Yeah I saw that, it seems to be a reaffirmation of what Nintendo execs have said before. So while it's nothing new, and they can certainly change their minds and save it for next year, it's good to hear that it's still currently their internal plan. October really seems like the last chance for a reveal this year though, unless by "publicly share more information" they mean talk about a reveal date in January...

Sigh...
Why can't they reveal it in November?

Nintendo will publicly share NX information this year by... announcing the reveal date of NX to occur in January.
I know you already know this and you're probably joking around so I'll put this for others on what Kimishima said

“However, it’s not merely the successor to the handheld 3DS or stationary console Wii U. This will be hardware that’s been made with a new way of thinking. I’d like to announce more particulars regarding its specs and how it works another time this year.”

Specs and how it works is a reveal of the system I think. Maybe he could mean just concepts, but I would hope he meant "here's what the NX looks like".

I have no idea how you get a confirmation of revealing anything from that post. It's the most coded, safe way of saying something possible.

"we will share more information about NX within this year" could literally mean Hey guys, we're not going to say anything about NX this year, please understand the full reveal is somewhere in spring, happy hannukah. Heck, "within this year" could even mean October 2017.

Ugh because the president said it in April. Nintendo of Canada CEO said it in June and now they're saying it in October.

I'm pretty sure when they say "within the year" they actually mean within 2016 because it's supposed to launch in March.

Why can't they reveal it in November?

I guess they can, but it's rather unorthodox to reveal a new product which isn't launching until Spring that close to the holiday shopping season. I know we keep saying things like "can't reveal now, Paper Mario, PSVR, Pokemon" and those are essentially memes at this point and not serious, but revealing a new product right at the start of the holiday shopping season ensures that your product will compete for attention with products that are already for sale, which isn't a good place to be for a product which is months away from launching.

Maybe it's not as big a problem as it seems, but it just makes sense that if they want to make the biggest splash possible then they should make sure to reveal it either before or after the holiday shopping season, when hundreds of currently available products are being heavily marketed.

Scrawnton

I still think it needs to be revealed before PS4 Pro is released to possibly block people from buying a more powerful version of what they already have and possibly save the money for NX.

Trago

Waiting this long into the season of big games coming out to reveal your new console seems a bit crazy. That's a lot of attention to divert.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still think it needs to be revealed before PS4 Pro is released to possibly block people from buying a more powerful version of what they already have and possibly save the money for NX.

This may be what Nintendo is waiting for. Week before kind of thing.

MuchoMalo

Banned

Sigh...

December 26th: Nintendo announces an NX reveal set for the third week or January.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I love being optimistic about today, only to be attacked for saying that I was pessimistic about something. What an inviting community.

marmoka

Banned
Calm down people, calm down. It will be revealed between next week and Halloween. I really visualize the reveal soon, actually I visualize it next week, in the 20th, Thursday.

I mean it's funny some people keep thinking it won't be revealed until January. ��

"..publicly share more information about NX within this year" could mean a lot of things. 'Sharing the information' that NX is delayed to holiday 2017 would still constitute this.

"..publicly share more information about NX within this year" could mean a lot of things. 'Sharing the information' that NX is delayed to holiday 2017 would still constitute this.
Meh. I still believe Emily when she said NX will be revealed in October.

I thought maybe we'd get an announcement today and the reveal on October 20th. Today isn't looking so smooth though.

marmoka

Banned

Consider that the employer is not allowed to say anything about NX.
Nintendo officially mentioned this year in the past, so all he can say, it's Nintendo's same official words.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, some guy on reddi/twittert who supposedly knows a guy from TT games says it's happening within 2 weeks. The excitement is palpable.

Trying to relate to this thread...I'd be really surprised if this was used in any meaningful way, though it'd be cool if they sold game specific versions purely for cosmetic purposes.

Link to this tweet / Reddit post (just entered this thread :p )?

I have officially gone into the realm of just being tired by all of this silence. It's starting to get worrisome. I can't even imagine a reason that they would say absolutely nothing by this point, even if they happen to have solved some quantum physics calculations.

It's just a video game console, and as a video game fan, I would appreciate being able to be excited about it. And yet I am denied.

:(

Link to this tweet / Reddit post (just entered this thread :p )?

Here

(FWIW in the comment thread they say that it was TT games who leaked the Wii U controller, which sounds right to me. So they may have legit info. But who knows if this guy actually talked to someone from TT games.)

I don't know if it's wise to continue discussing reddit rumors in here though.

Then again this is a patent thread so who knows what the hell is acceptable anymore.

Hermii

Here

(FWIW in the comment thread they say that it was TT games who leaked the Wii U controller, which sounds right to me. So they may have legit info. But who knows if this guy actually talked to someone from TT games.)

I don't know if it's wise to continue discussing reddit rumors in here though.

Then again this is a patent thread so who knows what the hell is acceptable anymore.
Whatever we do with the exception of discussing the actual patent, there will be the same outcome so just enjoy the thread while it lasts.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A reveal right before the investor's meeting gives them plenty to talk about and makes perfect sense.

I'm officially expecting a delay now.

I still think that's premature, especially if we give any credence to anything Emily Rogers has been saying (since she said it's ahead of schedule). Nintendo might just be crazy enough to do the reveal in November or December, we really don't know. This is fairly unprecedented territory.

Of course if October comes and goes with no new info then Emily Rogers' statements might be a bit less convincing, but I really doubt there's a chance we don't hear anything in October. At the very least they will talk about it at the investor meeting. Not necessarily a full reveal though.

If the NX doesn't get revealed in October then I'm sorry I'm off the NX being a hybrid. Eurogamer was saying it was set for September reveal. Emily said it would be October reveal.

Yeah, I know dates can get pushed, but how many times can it get pushed?

MuchoMalo

Banned
I still think that's premature, especially if we give any credence to anything Emily Rogers has been saying (since she said it's ahead of schedule). Nintendo might just be crazy enough to do the reveal in November or December, we really don't know. This is fairly unprecedented territory.

Of course if October comes and goes with no new info then Emily Rogers' statements might be a bit less convincing, but I really doubt there's a chance we don't hear anything in October. At the very least they will talk about it at the investor meeting. Not necessarily a full reveal though.

She also said October. That's extremely unlikely now unless it's treated like a normal Direct with 2-days' notice. I don't see a reveal happening this year. If I'm right, I'll have expected it. If I'm wrong, I'll be surprised. I'm done, and frankly I'm not really all that hyped at this point.

Delay announcement on the 26th, reveal in Q1, release in June. I'm sticking to that.

marmoka

Banned
There are still 19 days left till November.

I would be really disappointed if we had no news by October 21st evening.

And I would be worried if they didn't mention anything about NX at the investors meeting.

If something has to happen, it will be next week, not yet.

Top Bottom