• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Updated Nintendo Patent For Modular, Customisable Control Options - 8/2016

Clessidor

She also said October. That's extremely unlikely now unless it's treated like a normal Direct with 2-days' notice. I don't see a reveal happening this year. If I'm right, I'll have expected it. If I'm wrong, I'll be surprised. I'm done, and frankly I'm not really all that hyped at this point.

Nintendo does announcements on wednesdays and thursdays as well. ANd yes, there are Pokémon news on thursday. But that is no reason not to announce an reveal event.
I think it's still possible Nintendo wants to announce the event exactly a week before the actual reveal.
Honestly we don't know. It's still early in the second week of october. Expecting a delay is still too premature.

Well if it is a hybrid they really don't have much of a choice.

A design like the sticks on the WiiU gamepad make the thing less portable, even if they shrunk it in size.

However you wouldn't want two slider pads like on the 3DS to be the main option to control a home console game.

I feel like if this is a system you can dock and take with you, you are going to be able to need to alter the system its self in some ways in order to make it best suited for portability, and desired control when you play more complex games at home.

I think they will sell a new Pro Controller too for those (us) hardcore homeconsole players.

There'll be something this month. Either at the investor's meeting or before.

The meeting is basically just a deadline for the latest time we can know something. I think NateDrake's advice previously of looking forward to it, so you can be surprised if anything comes sooner, is the smartest at this point in time.

(Semi-serious: We need to get a GAF support group going on where we can all just play games or something instead of getting too worried about this stuff.)

ggx2ac

Omg we got him red handed. He just said an announcement is coming this month!

-.-'

He obviously means when Kimishima is going to make an announcement of an announcement of the NX during the financial briefing.

We're going to be waiting 15 more days for anything expected to be definitive.

ggx2ac

Also, one of the Nintendo Twitter accounts was finally active.

Nintendo of Europe posted a tweet to promote Zelda I for NES Mini Classic. So you can guess what all the responses to it were. lol

Scrawnton

It really is crazy how many patents have been released and all of the public knowledge about features Nintendo invented and they still remain silent. At least with Wii U we didn't have to wait long at all to see what the system was after things started leaking. This is crazy. Still, based off patents I think the system is a cell phone like device with detachable buttons.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Stop setting random dates and times of expectation. An announcement will come this month. It's only October 11....

There's nothing random about my guesses. It's based on patterns. All businesses follow patterns. I could maybe see them saying something tomorrow, but if no date is confirmed this week then nothing can happen next week unless it's a normal Direct, and that's not something you're likely to know. Most likely, all we're getting this month is a slightly better idea of the situation on the 26th or 27th. I see no reason to believe otherwise. If I'm wrong, it'll be a good thing so abandoning all hope of anything happening this month can only benefit me. Time to focus on more pertinent things.

So, we'll look at it like this for October.

October 12- chance for NX announcement
October 13- chance for NX announcement or reveal if announcement comes on October 12
October 18- No chance because of Pokémon demo
October 20- best chance for NX full reveal
October 26- 100% guaranteed the word NX will come out of someone's mouth at the investors meeting

TLZ

Banned
Meh. I still believe Emily when she said NX will be revealed in October.

I thought maybe we'd get an announcement today and the reveal on October 20th. Today isn't looking so smooth though.

You're better off waiting until the week of the 17th. Anything before that is a nice surprise.

Dmax3901

Having no further announcements made about the NX by the time the investor meeting rolls round would be pretty embarrassing imo. For that reason alone I wouldn't be surprised to hear something beforehand.

EDIT: To clarify: if the NX is not announced beforehand, surely Nintendo would know that all questions from investors and hardcore fans alike would be about the NX and where the hell it is. So perhaps they'll tell us SOMETHING beforehand, even if it's just what month we can expect an announcement.

I'm disappointed in Nintendo. Fans all across their social media keep asking for NX info and they can't even acknowledge any of them is sad.

They should've known this would happen, especially when the Wii U is dead since forever and 3DS is only getting Pokémon. Games keep people busy and without games people want to know what's next. We've known about NX for over a year and a half now.

I know they said 2016, but dammit you going to wait the last day of the year! We may not be the "targeted" audience for NX, but atleast you can acknowledge and say "don't worry NX reveal is coming this year" to the Nintendo fans.

And if Kimishima unveils NX to the investors I'll be highly disappointed in him. I know he's more of a business man, but he never communicates with the consumer fan base. He can't even show us the product before the meeting since we are the ones buying it? Again, he doesn't have to do it, but Iwata would do it.

I'm not throwing expectations on him like he should be like Iwata, but come on man you don't give us any news or games to play and you can't show us the damn system first over investors who are clueless to the kind of business your even running??

Anth0ny

officially two weeks until the investor meeting

if they were going to do a live event, I would have expected invitations to go out today at the latest (two weeks notice for a grand reveal before the investor meeting). looks like that's not happening.

if the october reveal is still happening, we'll get an announcement of a nintendo direct next week for a direct the week of the investor's meeting, probably monday the 24th or tuesday the 25th

or i'm completely wrong and nintendo like announces a direct and the direct happens less than 24 hours later. who the fuck knows.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
And said invites will come with a warning statement:

"You better not mention a word about this, you understandin' me sunshine? Cos if you do, well, let's just say, d'ya remember Matt Casablanca from IGN? Of course not, no one remembers Matt Castlevania of IGN, not after he got a little too comfortable with the Nintendo leaks.

Don't be dumb and keep mum."

So we won't know about those anyway.

maxcriden

I'm disappointed in Nintendo. Fans all across their social media keep asking for NX info and they can't even acknowledge any of them is sad.

They should've known this would happen, especially when the Wii U is dead since forever and 3DS is only getting Pokémon. Games keep people busy and without games people want to know what's next. We've known about NX for over a year and a half now.

I know they said 2016, but dammit you going to wait the last day of the year! We may not be the "targeted" audience for NX, but atleast you can acknowledge and say "don't worry NX reveal is coming this year" to the Nintendo fans.

And if Kimishima unveils NX to the investors I'll be highly disappointed in him. I know he's more of a business man, but he never communicates with the consumer fan base. He can't even show us the product before the meeting since we are the ones buying it? Again, he doesn't have to do it, but Iwata would do it.

I'm not throwing expectations on him like he should be like Iwata, but come on man you don't give us any news or games to play and you can't show us the damn system first over investors who are clueless to the kind of business your even running??

I agree it would be exceptionally unusual (and unlikely) to unveil the console at the investor meeting and not a concurrent/prior/subsequent event geared to the public. Kimi-san is a businessman but he has never indicated being out of touch with what the gaming populace expects from a reveal, so I don't expect the full unveiling would be to investors before the public.

Anth0ny

I agree it would be exceptionally unusual (and unlikely) to unveil the console at the investor meeting and not a concurrent/prior/subsequent event geared to the public. Kimi-san is a businessman but he has never indicated being out of touch with what the gaming populace expects from a reveal, so I don't expect the full unveiling would be to investors before the public.

which is exactly why, if we don't hear shit before the investors meeting... i'm not expecting the most fan friendly news AT the investors meeting ._.

maxcriden

which is exactly why, if we don't hear shit before the investors meeting... i'm not expecting the most fan friendly news AT the investors meeting ._.

Yeah. I think that is a safe assumption. Best thing to hope for then is "we will still hear about NX in some detail this year" and especially "NX is coming in March as planned."

Having no further announcements made about the NX by the time the investor meeting rolls round would be pretty embarrassing imo. For that reason alone I wouldn't be surprised to hear something beforehand.

EDIT: To clarify: if the NX is not announced beforehand, surely Nintendo would know that all questions from investors and hardcore fans alike would be about the NX and where the hell it is. So perhaps they'll tell us SOMETHING beforehand, even if it's just what month we can expect an announcement.

Yeah, they'll have an announcement made about the NX by the time the investor meeting rolls around: They'll announce that it's still planned for March 2017 and that they'll reveal it before the end of the year.

If that's not an announcement, then I don't know what is.

maxcriden

It doesn't seem EG or Emily or WSJ have reported any major leaks recently, unless I missed them. I believe their prior leaks are correct. There's no doubt in my mind the reveal was originally planned for E3, with the console coming in November (based on the Trev leak) and then planned for September when the console was delayed to March, and now...should be imminent.

It doesn't seem EG or Emily or WSJ have reported any major leaks recently, unless I missed them. I believe their prior leaks are correct. There's no doubt in my mind the reveal was originally planned for E3, with the console coming in November (based on the Trev leak) and then planned for September when the console was delayed to March, and now...should be imminent.
Eurogamer has been completely quiet since July. Emily said she was done last month, but around mid September is when she tweeted the NX reveal would be October. I hope she didn't mean the investors meeting

Eurogamer has been completely quiet since July. Emily said she was done last month, but around mid September is when she tweeted the NX reveal would be October. I hope she didn't mean the investors meeting

She could have well been guessing or wishful thinking like the rest of us. Expect another very similar tweet with November.

Clessidor

She could have well been guessing or wishful thinking like the rest of us. Expect another very similar tweet with November.

She actually made it quite clear that she isn't guessing. It's something she reported. If you believe her is up to you. But she seems certain.

Nintendo doesn't owe their fans anything, but I agree that they're not doing themselves any favors by being so quiet. When you really think about it, Nintendo has been in this weird place since E3 2015 where they've been hoarding information. I can understand the reasoning, given what happened with the Wii U and Iwata's passing, but they need to move on and at least attempt to get people excited again. Mobile apps and a NES re-release are all fine and good, but those are short-term solutions to a much bigger problem.

It's not even about a potential NX delay anymore. It's about what is clearly a lack of confidence the company has in their products.

At least, that's the way I see it.

Nintendo doesn't owe their fans anything, but I agree that they're not doing themselves any favors by being so quiet. When you really think about it, Nintendo has been in this weird place since E3 2015 where they've been hoarding information. I can understand the reasoning, given what happened with the Wii U and Iwata's passing, but they need to move on and at least attempt to get people excited again. Mobile apps and a NES re-release are all fine and good, but those are short-term solutions to a much bigger problem.

It's not even about a potential NX delay anymore. It's about what is clearly a lack of confidence the company has in their products.

At least, that's the way I see it.

It's not about owing fans anything. It's about common sense. Sure, Nintendo could just cancel NX or never release any games anymore. They don't owe us a reveal, but NeoGAF is also a place where we talk about the industry. And NX is supposed to release in less than 5 months, yet we don't know what it is. That makes no sense. And it's our right to criticize Nintendo's lack of sense.

As you said, it just sounds like they're clueless or lack the confidence. When your product release in 5 months without even showing it, it just feels like an afterthought. NES Mini had as much marketing time as NX if NX indeed releases in March 2017.

KooopaKid

Banned

Agreed. How hard is it to throw us a bone? Are they never looking at what's going on online? Early word of mouth comes from here. It's baffling they are still not acknowledging this and using it to their advantages.
Or the games are simply not ready to be shown yet and a delay is in order.

Agreed. How hard is it to throw us a bone? Are they never looking at what's going on online? Early word of mouth comes from here. It's baffling they are still not acknowledging this and using it to their advantages.

You only get one shot at a first impression.

KooopaKid

Banned
You only get one shot at a first impression.

No I'm not talking about revealing the thing but just announcing a reveal window would be enough. They could also start some teasing like revealing parts of the logo or small parts of the design of the console week by week. Something.

maxcriden

I hope and genuinely assume she didn't but we shall see.

maxcriden

Tomorrow is Thursday. The EU PR has an odd lack of releases. Could it be Mother 3 day? Also, Thursday comes from Thor's day. Thor flick coming out next year is subtitled Ragnarok. People say this is do or die time for Nintendo and could be armageddon for them as a company otherwise. AKA Ragnarok. Also, tomorrow is the 13th day of the month. 13 is an unlucky number but not in Japan. Also, Nintendo likes to "leave luck to heaven." Therefore, tomorrow should see some NX news.

Tomorrow is Thursday. The EU PR has an odd lack of releases. Could it be Mother 3 day? Also, Thursday comes from Thor's day. Thor flick coming out next year is subtitled Ragnarok. People say this is do or die time for Nintendo and could be armageddon for them as a company otherwise. AKA Ragnarok. Also, tomorrow is the 13th day of the month. 13 is an unlucky number but not in Japan. Also, Nintendo likes to "leave luck to heaven." Therefore, tomorrow should see some NX news.

Haha, well, there it is..

You should write the Norse equivalent of The Da Vinci Code. Bravo!

But yeah tomorrow's as good as day as any for them to announce the reveal date.

I hope and genuinely assume she didn't but we shall see.
I fully believe she meant prior to the Investors Meeting. Emily knows how it works. She knows people look to her to have inside info. She's not going to just say "October NX reveal" for the fun of it or just as a guess. If she was guessing she would've clarified and said that.

Yeah. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging fans on Twitter atleast lol.

😉

Haha, thanks. I forgot to mention also that Color Splash comes out today (it's already the 13th there) in Japan. So that last (potential) hurdle will be up as well.

Yeah, Paper Mario is out now in Japan. So, that's it. There's nothing coming to Wii U except BotW and that's multiplat coming next year. 3DS only has Pokémon.

I'm still holding on to a reveal next week. They could announce the NX date today. Nothing is impossible, but it's just out of the norm that's all lol.

risq_aus

Banned

Actually today is Thursday in Japan and it's almost over.

marmoka

Banned
We will get news next week, Thursday probably (because I feel it).

And if not next week, then at the investors meeting. Last April they made official there that the system was delayed to March, this time they could confirm it's still scheduled for March. So there will be something this month.

Calm Mind

NeoGAF's own Calendar Man.

Hermii

Makes about as much sense as every other prediction I seen of why its going to happen a specific day.

ggx2ac

Makes about as much sense as every other prediction I seen of why its going to happen a specific day.

I just want it to happen on the same day as any Pokémon news so the thread title can say, "We interrupt this Pokémon News for an NX Announcement!"

Although I don't know the character limit on thread titles.

ggx2ac

It looks like one of the NX leakers have taken down their Twitter account.

Rubyvolution aka Nintendoubted

Don't know why, I can't say yet if it was because of bullshit info from that account's "sources" until after the NX is revealed.

(Which again is why I say for those NX leakers to corroborate or verify info with major media outlets that have industry connections etc etc)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Maybe they were upset because Ruby from Love Live Sunshine seems to always appear at the bottom of popularity polls.

Top Bottom