• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading the PS3 HD is like console sex

B-Ri

Argyle said:
I upgraded a couple of days ago, the Rock Band save WILL copy over.

Also, I stripped the head of the 4th screw :( but I managed to get it out with a pair of needlenose pliers.

did you download songs and install them?

CrushDance said:
The only cap I believe is 2GB for videos, due to piracy. I have a 60GB drive but I'm trying to save up and get a 500GB one. Allowing end users to buy any drive from any manufacturer is probably the best decision Sony made hardware wise.
OT but I have had 4GB movies on my PS3 HDD.

Schrade

Dante said:
There is no 250 cap. Unless you are talking about a FAT 32 external drive.
There is no 250gb cap with fat32 external drives.

God you guys, quit spreading this bad info!

Mustaphadamus said:
OT but I have had 4GB movies on my PS3 HDD.
Really? So the 2GB video cap isn't real, or was removed in a later update?

When Sony added DVD upscaling, they said that would be for HDMI only, but i've seen people in various message boards say that they are able to upscale DVDs through component as well.

So is Sony making changes without adding them to the list, or do they just give out the wrong information?

J-Rzez

People are really making a mess out of this for those wanting to upgrade. Some people saying you can't do this, only do that. What's the deal with this once and for all? Those with personal experience please...

Can you get a SATA drive:
-With greater than 8mb cache and it works fine?
-With faster than 5400rpm and it works fine?
-In larger than 250gb storage size?

And any external drive will be fine with the backup utility? Does this carry your account info and pwords? What's this about the Rock Band DLC not carrying over when you install expansion tracks?

I'm bored and want to get a bigger and better drive, like today :D

J-Rzez said:
People are really making a mess out of this for those wanting to upgrade. Some people saying you can't do this, only do that. What's the deal with this once and for all? Those with personal experience please...

And any external drive will be fine with the backup utility? Does this carry your account info and pwords? What's this about the Rock Band DLC not carrying over when you install expansion tracks?

nope, but the rest... yep works fine

Argyle

J-Rzez said:

I got a 250GB 5400rpm drive, so I can't answer all your questions.

Cache won't matter (in the sense that any amount of cache should work but more should be faster).

Any external drive formatted to FAT32 will work.

Account info and passwords are stored to flash in the console, not the hard drive, so if you are restoring the backup to the same console, everything should be as it was.

All my Rock Band DLC and my save game copied over fine.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Isn't this the same stuff we complain about being so annoying on PC? This is coitus interruptus at best.

nny

bjork said:
Wouldn't like... hooking the genesis to the 32x, be more like console sex?

Ad2.jpg

Ad3.jpg

Raist

Banned
So your definition of sex is playing a game for an hour, then 3 minutes of action, and then watching TV for an hour ?

ok

B-Ri

Raist said:
So your definition of sex is playing a game for an hour, then 3 minutes of action, and then watching TV for an hour ?

ok

better then the definition of rape:

Go to store, pick up 120gb hard drive, go to counter, pay $180 for it, get home, cry a bit.

DIrtyWeasel said:

When Sony added DVD upscaling, they said that would be for HDMI only, but i've seen people in various message boards say that they are able to upscale DVDs through component as well.

So is Sony making changes without adding them to the list, or do they just give out the wrong information?
I don't know man (shrugs). All I know is, I had deja vu in HD and it was like 4 gigs or so. I had it locally on my ps3, and I did the same with transformers too (that was like 4 GB too). This was back in November I think.

B-Ri said:
better then the definition of rape:

Go to store, pick up 120gb hard drive, go to counter, pay $180 for it, get home, cry a bit.
Yes, now it's official. You need to put down the keyboard and the controller, go out to the real world and get some fucking perspective.

kikonawa

DIrtyWeasel said:

its 4gb aprox limit, not 2GB HD movie rips are mostly split in 2 3.5gb files (for example)

Danj

akachan ningen said:
Can you use an ipod as an HDD to do the system backup thing before you switch?

Only if it's one of the old ones that supports USB Mass Storage mode. I hear the newer ones have had this mode removed.

Goldrusher

Pro-tip: Use a small pair of pliers to loosen the screws before using a screwdriver...otherwise, chances are véry high you'll damage them.

5losx3.jpg

Remy

I upgraded to 250GB back in January, and it was fairly cheap.

Amusingly, I stripped three of the screws on the drive caddy, and not having a dremel or an appropriately small set of needle nose pliers, I decided to say fuck it and just pushed the drive into place without it. And it does work - I just have to make sure I don't drop my PS3. :)

Perhaps I should call Sony and ask if they'll sell a replacement one...

Clockwork

vercity82 said:
Got a question im tempted to buy a 320gb for the ps3 so....

1.on my japanese accounts i cannot remember my password for dear lord will the restore back up remember everything thats on my current drive?

So all accounts and all will be as they are on my 60gb as this tempts me so much my devil may cry 4 seemed to run slow even after install as lack of space left on my drive :(

I didn't use the backup feature on my PS3 when I swapped to a 160gb Hitachi Travelstar 7k200 (7200rpm 16mb cache) last week. The 4gb flash drive I had was too small to use that feature, so I only ended up transferring my game saves.

After the swap my PS3 still had my account info, so I think that is saved on the firmware/internal flash memory.

KongRudi

Banned
Remy said:
Amusingly, I stripped three of the screws on the drive caddy, and not having a dremel or an appropriately small set of needle nose pliers, I decided to say fuck it and just pushed the drive into place without it. And it does work - I just have to make sure I don't drop my PS3. :)

Perhaps I should call Sony and ask if they'll sell a replacement one...

I think it says in the PS3-manual, in the HDD-replacement section, wich number to call if you loose or damage your screws.
But I only think they will send you new screws, not a new set of pliers. :)

Remy

KongRudi said:
I think it says in the PS3-manual, in the HDD-replacement section, wich number to call if you loose or damage your screws.
But I only think they will send you new screws, not a new set of pliers. :)

I really just want a full set of screws and a new caddy. I don't have a dremel tool or anything to pull out the stripped screws, and it'd be silly to buy one just for this. (Although I suppose buying a new set of pliers wouldn't hurt.)

WTFing

Banned
Upgraded from 20go to 160go.
I only did a backup of my game saves, and re-downloaded the PSN games I've bought on the new hard drive.

I wish my experience was as smooth as yours.

It took me about 3 hours in the end. My PS3 wouldn't recognize my USB hard drive. I guess it has to be formatted is some specific FAT32 way, and I couldn't get it setup properly. In the end I got so frustrated that I just copied all of my game saves over to my PSP memory stick, which you have to do one by one... then put my new hard drive in and copied them back, which you have to do one by one as well.

Had to re-download and install everything as well.

While I would be the first to say the Xbox 360 hard drives are way too expensive, I bought the 120gb drive and the upgrade was seamless. The PS3 experience was brutal. With openness comes the possibility of it being a pain.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Full Recovery said:
I upgraded to a 200gb 7,200 rpm 16mb cache and I felt so so very dirty.

(FYI 7,200 rpm does make an Installation improvement, and does not overheat my console)

So if you want to shave a few minutes off of that Capcom install, get a 7,200 rpm HDD.

Yup, I put a Hitachi travelstar 16MB 200 GB 7200 RPM drive in my PS3 last summer and it's been great. DMC4 install took 17 minutes. :D

TheDuce22

Banned
What the fuck? :lol You enjoyed changing the harddrive that much did you? Now try playing a game. It will totally blow your mind.

number1jagsfan said:
Hmm, why do I get the feeling there is an ulterior motive in this thread?

Its the equivalent of BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3 BUY A PS3.

Ptaaty

I have a 20GB PS3, like my 20GB 360 I find no need to upgrade to larger HDDs as I have a central computer acting as a media server.

I don't know I just find no appeal to having tons of storage on the machine...I keep all my stuff on one place on my PC and grab it from there.

What is the point of all that local storage? (buying tons of games that require 5GB installs not withstanding...)

B-Ri

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, now it's official. You need to put down the keyboard and the controller, go out to the real world and get some fucking perspective.

....?

wtf is your major malfunction?

DeadGzuz

Banned
TheDuce22 said:
What the fuck? :lol You enjoyed changing the harddrive that much did you? Now try playing a game. It will totally blow your mind.

It always amazes me when people reply to threads and ignore the substance. Are you that sensitive to anything positive about the PS3 that you feel the need to thread crap? How petty.

The thread title was just an eye catcher, it is an analogy, the process has nothing really to do with sex, sorry to confuse the slow folks around here.

P.S. Sorry about not providing a link to the BB deal, my friend spotted it and picked it up, I didn't havde the details myself. Thanks to those who filled in the details.

Top Bottom