• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Upgrading the PS3 HD is like console sex

Baha said:
I'm interested in upgrading my ps3's hdd in about a week or so and I'm planning on doing it as follows:

1. format the new hdd in an enclosure via my PC (fat32)
2. run the backup utility to backup my current hdd to the new one
3. swap drives
4. Restore

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Also, does the backup utility backup all the accounts on the system?

The PS3 formats your new HD already. Don't need to use your PC.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Cirekiller said:
The PS3 formats your new HD already. Don't need to use your PC.
He needs to format it FAT32 if he wants the backup utility to save to it.

Zoe

chubigans said:
It does NOT save PS1 or PS2 game saves on the virtual memory card. You need to back those up manually.

Fu---

Oh wait. All of mine were backed up.

So in trying to get the fucking screws out of my PS3's hard drive cage, I completely fucked up the cage in the process. It's warped now, beyond repair.

Is there any way to seat the hard drive WITHOUT the cage? Can I buy a generic cage at a computer store? What the hell do I do? That entire enclosure is a piece of shit, Sony. The screws, everything. Fucccckk.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I ended up using pliers to help unscrew the HDD out. I ended up baging the screw loose. It was a pain. My restore is going right now but the drive I bought off unity electronics works.

Zoe

You have to get a replacement from Sony, but people HAVE gotten them in there. I didn't do that though, so I don't know the details.

Baha

Well, in my experience, a hard drive that's not secured in a case or enclosure will be fine as long as you don't move the console a lot or shake the entire thing. I've seen PC's with unsecured hard drives hanging by their cables.

Baha said:
Well, in my experience, a hard drive that's not secured in a case or enclosure will be fine as long as you don't move the console a lot or shake the entire thing. I've seen PC's with unsecured hard drives hanging by their cables.

yeah but im just worried about having to get it out once it's in there...

shit...this sucks.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Kagari said:
How did you get the screws out of the old HDD without stripping them? I found this extremely hard while trying to upgrade my friend's 20GB.

That happened to me on the 4th screw. I had to break the tab off. It really didn't create a problem putting in the new 160 GB hard drive, 3 screws hold it as well as 4, but it was still annoying. Mine was also a 20 gig.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Private Hoffman said:
yeah but im just worried about having to get it out once it's in there...

shit...this sucks.
I was close to bending the enclosure a little but I got the pliers and turned them manually. A pain but it saved me from wrecking the enclosure. I'm glad it's done now. It felt like I was killing the drive while trying to get it out.

Luigison

Other than a HDD, what can be "upgraded"? Also, what's the point of Linux on PS3 when I have perfectly fine Quad PC?

Speevy

Banned
Okay, my new drive arrived today.

Got the blue screw out, but how the heck do you get these other ones out? Good grief, Satan must have screwed these in with an evil machine.

Speevy said:

Got the blue screw out, but how the heck do you get these other ones out? Good grief, Satan must have screwed these in with an evil machine.

its ridiculous...

i had to use so much force i ended up breaking the enclosure.

why did sony cheap out on this area?? its insane

klee123

chubigans said:
It does NOT save PS1 or PS2 game saves on the virtual memory card. You need to back those up manually.

Actually it does

Last month I've backed up my PS3 HDD from 60GB to 320GB. I had like 6 virtual memory cards and they were all restored when I backed everything up.

klee123

Speevy said:

Yeah, the blue screw is a pain in the arse to deal with. I actually used a drill to completely remove it. I replaced it with a much better screw so If I ever need to replace my HDD again (doubtful), at least I won't have to go through that shit again.

For the others, those weren't too hard, just use those small screw drivers and you should no problems.

marwan

Banned
Kagari said:
How did you get the screws out of the old HDD without stripping them? I found this extremely hard while trying to upgrade my friend's 20GB.

and i thought i was the only one with that problem. I ended up with 2 cuts on my hand from the screw driver slipping off the HDD and into my hand, *OUCH*, it was extremely painful and my hands were bleeding. I was so frustrated. I ended up installing the 320GB HDD without the case/bracket, just shoved it in(took like 10 tries till it fit). i had to wait till morning to take my 60GB to a computer shop to unscrew the screws, i ended up grinding the screw teeth so a computer shop was my only chance. When i got them removed, i pulled out the 320GB and installed the bracket.

biocat

I just bought a 250GB Hitachi for my PS3 today for about $80.

Alright deal?

Anyways, my laptop only has 120 in it now so I think I'll be putting the 250 in there and passing the 120 onto my PS3.

Not that any of that matters, but I guess I'll be the next one in here complaining about tight blue screws.

Wish me luck!:D

biocat said:
I just bought a 250GB Hitachi for my PS3 today for about $80.

Alright deal?

Anyways, my laptop only has 120 in it now so I think I'll be putting the 250 in there and passing the 120 onto my PS3.

Not that any of that matters, but I guess I'll be the next one in here complaining about tight blue screws.

Wish me luck!:D

You don't need luck. A moron can do it. (No offense meant to those who've had trouble.)

I've done many PS3 upgrades for family and friends now. I actually know more people with HDD upgrades than with standard PS3s now.

Main Tips to consider:

Use the proper screwdriver size, first and foremost.

If the screws are really tight, break their initial grip first with a pair of needlenose pliers, then proceed to the screwdriver.

Easy.

Argyle

klee123 said:
Actually it does

Last month I've backed up my PS3 HDD from 60GB to 320GB. I had like 6 virtual memory cards and they were all restored when I backed everything up.

PS1 and PS2 saves are backed up if you are upgrading your hard drive (restoring the backup to the same PS3)

PS1 and PS2 saves are not backed up if you have to exchange your console (restoring the backup to a new PS3)

marwan

Banned
Speevy said:
Well my screws are messed up, and SCEA won't help me.

What do I do?

did you grind the teeth? (that's what happened to me). take it to some tech store and have them unscrew it for you.(make sure you backup first)

Speevy

Banned
marwan said:
did you grind the teeth?

Stripped the screws, all of them.

Sony says "We're just tech support, we don't carry that."

I swear, the PS3 may not be an unreliable machine, but their tech support sucks.

How can the screws be so messed up that you can't grab them with a needlenose plier? Seriously - if people don't have the proper size screwdriver, you crack the screws with the pliers first. This is not rocket science.

Teddman

Speevy said:
It's not easy, and that's why users are having trouble with it.
No kidding. If you're going to user modification route, PS2 + HDLoader spanks the HD implementation in the PS3. Pretty sad that this gen is a step backwards in hard drive functionality.

marwan

Banned
Speevy said:
Stripped the screws, all of them.

Sony says "We're just tech support, we don't carry that."

I swear, the PS3 may not be an unreliable machine, but their tech support sucks.

take it to Best Buy if there is one next to you, i remember they had a repair department, have them do the unscrewing for you, if they have the right tools they can get it done for you in a minute.

Speevy said:
Well my screws are messed up, and SCEA won't help me.

What do I do?

did the same thing, I use needle nosed pliers after that and I was able to unscrew them and I put them all back accept for 1 and I went to my local home depot and bought some more screws.

Zoe

Sh0k said:
Anybody knows if I can use the 60GB from the PS3 in an external USB enclosure in my PC ?

Just make sure you get one that takes SATA. Some are PATA only.

You'll have to reformat it too.

Sh0k

I believe the one I have is a SATA enclosure, I'm using it on my PC with a 160GB pulled from an Apple MacBook. My idea was to put the 160GB in the PS3 and put the 60GB from the PS3 in the external enclosure. I don't really need that much space on my PC, 60GB is enough to back up my pictures and music.

I have another question, if I do the backup in the current external HD I have, can I move the backup data to my PC, do the hard drive exchange, move the data back from my PC to the 60GB and restore my PS3 ?

Integra

Neo Member
*giggles* you know... when you explain the process like that.... I can see how it can be considered console sex. :lol

:( :( :( :( :(

Currently in the midst of this - installing the new hard drive was plenty easy. But now, when restoring from my backup - it's been staying at 93% with 3 minutes remaining for the past ten minutes or so. Is my backup corrupted or something? :( :(

edit: what do you know, right after I posted this it started moving again. my apologies for the (in retrospect) pointless bump.

Speevy

Banned
badcrumble said:
:( :( :( :( :(

Currently in the midst of this - installing the new hard drive was plenty easy. But now, when restoring from my backup - it's been staying at 93% with 3 minutes remaining for the past ten minutes or so. Is my backup corrupted or something? :( :(

edit: what do you know, right after I posted this it started moving again. my apologies for the (in retrospect) pointless bump.

It does this on everyone's system.

So before I do mine, what is the *proper* size screwdriver? I read you need a JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) size, but no one at the hardware store knew what that was.

I ended up getting a Philips Head #1 x 3" because that looked right, but I don't want to go in there and start stripping crap if it isn't.

Top Bottom