• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US, Canada and Mexico set to submit joint bid to host 2026 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
A joint bid from the US, Canada and Mexico to host the enlarged 2026 World Cup is expected to be finalised this year for submission to Fifa, according to Victor Montagliani, the president of the region’s Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf). Speaking to the Guardian before Saturday’s annual Concacaf congress on the Caribbean island of Aruba, Montagliani contrasted the prospect of the countries’ cooperating on a World Cup with the division represented by the wall along the border with Mexico planned by Donald Trump.

“Canada, the US and Mexico are aiming for a joint bid, the idea has been around for a while, discussions are continuing and it is a very exciting proposition if it comes to fruition,” Montagliani said. “We have had nothing but positive remarks about it and it is a very strong sign of what football can do to bring countries together.”

Full article: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/06/us-canada-mexico-joint-world-cup-bid-2026

What does GAF think about this? It seems like the countries involved already have the infrastructure in place to run it solo, a joint bid seems like a cool idea IMO.

ZOONAMI

Sounds cool to me. Probably prolongs the length of the cup and makes it more difficult for die hards to see all the games, but overall expands the audience.

Bill Clinton presents:
The NAFTA bid for world cup 2026

9084766-large.jpg

clinton-bocanegro.jpg

Sounds expensive for fans and teams that have to fly back and forth to see/play games? I should be out of Toronto by then.

Flux

And Mexico is going to pay for it! *

*American health Care, EPA, NASA, VA Affairs and there's been so many things slashed I am sandbagging my own joke.

Distances would be huge. Aside from that it seems like a good idea.

It probably wouldn't be much different than the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Brazil is a massive country, and I recall the USMNT had to travel some pretty serious distances during that tournament.

Plus, they wouldn't be going far into Canada, probably only Toronto and Vancouver, maybe Montreal, and those are all near the border. And it wouldn't surprise me if Mexico only hosted games in Mexico City. Of course, the distances across the U.S. itself would be big, but that's to be expected.

Hobbles

It probably wouldn't be much different than the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. Brazil is a massive country, and I recall the USMNT had to travel some pretty serious distances during that tournament.

Plus, they wouldn't be going far into Canada, probably only Toronto and Vancouver, maybe Montreal, and those are all near the border. And it wouldn't surprise me if Mexico only hosted games in Mexico City. Of course, the distances across the U.S. itself would be big, but that's to be expected.

To put your words into perspective

enhanced-buzz-12247-1360164879-1.jpg

Icolin

Banned
So Canada is playing again since 1986! also free points to the teams that end up in our group.
Jokes aside, by that time, guys like Ballou Tabla and Alphonso Davies will be in their prime, the Canadian Premier League will be up and running, MLS will have more and more Canadian players, and the 3 MLS teams will continue to pump out players from the academy. And then there's the players playing abroad in Europe and South America.

Canada isn't getting results anytime soon, but we're clearly on an upwards trend, and will continue to be with more guys like Alphonso Davies coming through.

lord

Pelé and Maradona became world champions at the Azteca. The historical significance of that stadium cannot be understated.
It's true but it's in shambles by now, it would've been re built by now if it wasn't for the "historical significance".

clemenx

Banned
This is dumb, neither of those countries have any need to do a joint event. Save that for really small countries.

Should go to USA anyways and in 2022

Sounds like a nightmare (at least for border and airport security) with the direction the USA is headed in

What about the wall? Fans from muslim countries? Etc.

I hate this. Three huge countries shouldn't co host a WC. If France can host one by themselves I don't see why the US shouldn't. Mexico should not host a WC in the near future. Our government will be a bigger mess!

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's true but it's in shambles by now, it would've been re built by now if it wasn't for the "historical significance".
The Azteca has been receiving sporadic improvements in the past few years. I think they just got WiFi capabilities a few months ago. Not to mention, the thing is 9 years away. There's time to remodel.

Ōkami

No chance of this happening, pretty sure FIFA said some time ago they wouldn't be taking join bids, especially when all countries ara capable enough of running it themselves, the US already did it, and Mexico did it twice.

Unless this is Justin's masterplan to get Canada into the worldcup.

I mean if they do it in 2022 is fine, just get the damn cup out of Qatar.

MutFox

Banned
So who would get the free in as the host country?

Pretty sure Mexico and US would get in by qualifying.
That leaves Canada. :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I hate this. Three huge countries shouldn't co host a WC. If France can host one by themselves I don't see why the US shouldn't. Mexico should not host a WC in the near future. Our government will be a bigger mess!
While I agree partly with this, Mexico has a bunch of stadiums already built that are up to the standards of those in Europe. Guadalajara and Monterrey's new stadiums are top notch, and there's no reason those cities would need massive infrastructure improvements.

Wasn't Cruz Azul in talks to build a new stadium in Mexico City too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom