• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

US, Canada and Mexico set to submit joint bid to host 2026 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulzeeb

To put your words into perspective

enhanced-buzz-12247-1360164879-1.jpg

yeah, but depending on your country of origin, you will need 3 different documents to go to all the matches (Passport, U.S Visa, Canadian Visa)

Santiako

yeah, but depending on your country of origin, you will need 3 different documents to go to all the matches (Passport, U.S Visa, Canadian Visa)

That's the biggest hurdle for this to go through. The long distances are fine, but the multiple borders with different requirements makes this bid a terrible choice.

As a Mexican, no thanks, I rather see a more competent country with better infrastructure get it instead of us getting it and trash our economy like Brazil by making new infrastructure that will go to waste once it's over. Pass.

azyless

Eh, I don't see the point, three big countries that could easily host it by themselves. It'd be a nightmare for international fans too.
Anyway, between Qatar and the 48-teams WC, who knows if I'll even care at that point.

To put your words into perspective

enhanced-buzz-12247-1360164879-1.jpg
To be fair stadiums were limited to like half of the country except for Manaus.

Yeah, with the bullshit at the border and travel bans etc, I don't imagine it would be tempting for fans and players from across the world to come the US. Let Canada host.

Honestly I hope one day Texas can host a world cup. We have about a dozen stadiums that can hold 40,000+ and that doesn't include the 2 baseball parks that can be re-structured to host soccer games. From Jerry world in Dallas to NRG in Houston, to the Alamo Dome in San Antonio and DKR in Austin, all the way out to the Sun Bowl in El Paso, which is a stones throw from Mexico. Once Texas gets that bullet train that connects Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio, the state would be a prime host for an event like this. We just need to make sure the bathroom bill fails

ryseing

NYC, LA, or Mexico City. There aren't any other realistic choices.

Nah, Jerry World for the spectacle.

Honestly I hope one day Texas can host a world cup. We have about a dozen stadiums that can hold 40,000+ and that doesn't include the 2 baseball parks that can be re-structured to host soccer games. From Jerry world in Dallas to NRG in Houston, to the Alamo Dome in San Antonio and DKR in Austin, all the way out to the Sun Bowl in El Paso, which is a stones throw from Mexico. Once Texas gets that bullet train that connects Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio, the state would be a prime host for an event like this. We just need to make sure the bathroom bill fails

Problem with Texas is that a decent chunk of seating in those stadiums, especially the college ones, is bleacher, which FIFA does not allow.

NRG and Jerry World will definitely get games though.

It'd be interesting in general to see the proposed list for American stadiums. Seattle, LA, and NYC (Giants Stadium) have to be on there.

We may have the infrastructure, but I don't feel like giving in to the ludicrous demands of the pampered FIFA bigwigs that come parading through. Cars they don't pay for. Drivers they don't pay for. Hotels they don't pay for. Hookers they don't pay for.

All for the honor of hosting their games.

No thanks. FIFA and F1 are two of the most awful sports organizations in existence. Which is a shame because they're the most interesting.

Shall we talk about Qatar? Because the organization who we're willing to suck up to is THE SAME as the one who doesn't give a shit about what they've created by giving the bid to Qatar.

But hey, that's okay because we have the infrastructure and they don't.

It isn't a vacuum guys.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Eh, I don't see the point, three big countries that could easily host it by themselves. It'd be a nightmare for international fans too.
Anyway, between Qatar and the 48-teams WC, who knows if I'll even care at that point.

This was the stadium spread for Copa America:

vWGyDvP.jpg

Why does the Midwest hate football, America?

Nah, Jerry World for the spectacle.

Problem with Texas is that a decent chunk of seating in those stadiums, especially the college ones, is bleacher, which FIFA does not allow.

NRG and Jerry World will definitely get games though.

It'd be interesting in general to see the proposed list for American stadiums. Seattle, LA, and NYC (Giants Stadium) have to be on there.

Oh I didn't know that. In that case Minute Maid and Arlington's baseball park will definitely have to be used.

2014-football-world-cup-venues-map.jpg

Yes, Manaus was an outlier, but there were still significant distances between many of the other sites. Plus, the logistical planning was generally quite poor for where and when the games were played in Brazil. That's why the USMNT had to travel so far so often. Smarter planning could easily keep the distances shorter if, say, certain groups played in the U.S. Northeast and Canada, while other groups were in the U.S. Southwest and Mexico, or what have you.

By having the least interest in football, at least televised football?

There's not enough interest for televised football in Canada alone.

It's an inexpensive sport for children to play, not much else.
Well that didn't stop the US from hosting one in 1994. I'm not trying to be funny. Back then most Americans hadn't ever watched a full soccer game on tv before that. They didn't even have a professional soccer league even!

Well that didn't stop the US from hosting one in 1994. I'm not trying to be funny. Back then most Americans hadn't ever watched a full soccer game on tv before that. They didn't even have a professional soccer league even!

It kicked off a big interest in soccer.

I'd love for the World Cup to come back to the States and think sharing it amongst 3 countries would be much more economical, with less financial risk.

azyless

By having the least interest in football, at least televised football?

There's not enough interest for televised football in Canada alone.

It's an inexpensive sport for children to play, not much else.
You do know the World Cup is broadcasted everywhere in the world right ? Talking about interest for the sport is pretty ridiculous when it's in freaking Qatar in 5 years, a notable football nation since the dawn of time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So what you're saying is, that it is okay for a team that isn't competitive with the rest of the upper echelon of teams to buy it's way into the World Cup?

...I mean, that's certainly par for the course, but to actually read it always amuses me.
With 48 teams and a seeding placement there's plenty of competition for Canada to mettle against before facing actual danger in the tournament.

Realeza

Banned
Would be awesome to see a game at Seattle's Century Link Field. Went to check the Copa Centenario game there last year and it was 🔥

TheMan

I like the spirit of the idea, but seems unwieldy for 3 geographically large countries to host the cup. I bet all the games would actually be held in one country, and so that country should go ahead and be the actual host

Xando

They even got FIFA to change the World Cup to a Winter event so, you know.
What you should be asking is, is Canada willing to pay enough ?

Man i can't wait to see qatar win against some large european country due to dubious referee decisions and somehow make it to KO round.

So since Canada's team can't qualify to compete in the world cup, at least Canada can appear as a sponsor?

Host countries get automatic entry. And the 2026 World Cup will probably expand to 48 teams. So while Mexico and the U.S. probably wouldn't need an automatic entry, there's no doubt that Canada would get one as host with 48 teams allowed in. (The only time I can recall more than a single nation hosting was Japan and South Korea jointly hosting, and both those nations received automatic entry, but I don't recall if both qualified on their own or not.)

azyless

The second part of my statement was-

"...I mean, that's certainly par for the course, but to actually read it always amuses me."
I know ! Just meant to add to your statement not go against it. Just saying FIFA itself has been pretty clear on that for a while now.

Host countries get automatic entry. And the 2026 World Cup will probably expand to 48 teams. So while Mexico and the U.S. probably wouldn't need an automatic entry, there's no doubt that Canada would get one as host with 48 teams allowed in. (The only time I can recall more than a single nation hosting was Japan and South Korea jointly hosting, and both those nations received automatic entry, but I don't recall if both qualified on their own or not.)
They were both automatically qualified and seeded in the first pot, they didn't participate in qualifications. Same for Austria/Switzerland in Euro 2008 and Poland/Ukraine in 2012.

Meier

Sounds like a nightmare (at least for border and airport security) with the direction the USA is headed in

What about the wall? Fans from muslim countries? Etc.

By 2026, all these fuckos destroying our country will be out of power and we'll have reversed all the stupid shit said fuckos have done.

It's not like the same group would play games in Mexico, the US and Canada. With this many teams and groups, it will be easy for each country to host a number of games in the opening round and then winnow it down as it progresses.

Eila

What a time to be alive. Hope it happens. Mexico has like 3 stadiums that are outright ready (Azteca, Omnilife, BBVA) and I imagine that the US would take the burden of most groups which should be enough to not make this crazy expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom