• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

USA Today: A disturbing sex trend called 'stealthing' is on the rise

Status
Not open for further replies.
..but if that's the case then any woman who tells a man she is on birth control but isn't..is also guilty of rape.

I mean, if I finished inside a girl who said she was on BC and then it pops up a few months later that she's pregnant with my kid and was never ever on BC I'd look in to my legal options yeah. Of course I'd also only do that with someone I trusted but still, shit happens.

Whether stealthing fits in to the bubble of what you consider rape or not is irrelevant, it's point blank, clear cut sexual assault.

Not to doubt USA Today but is there actual evidence this is a real widespread phenomena, or is this just one of those things news/newspapers sensationalize for viewers? Like the time they said teenagers soak tampons with vodka and stick it up their ass to get drunk (not true), or kids shooting random strangers to get inducted into gangs (very rare), etc.

I'm sure there are some asshole guys out there that do this, but its a huge gap between "i heard a guy that did this' to "its a trend".

Deepwater

Wow, at some of you. Fucking idiots.

Yes, it's rape.

Sex is a choice or agreement between to people, like any contract. It has provisions. You violate the provisions, you're liable.

Let's break it down for some of you children.

If he/she says "stop" in the middle of sex and you keep going, it's rape. Duh.

If he/she says "sure, if you use a condom," then you were only given consent to sex on the condition a condom is worn. If one is not worn, they are not consenting. JFC. If you keep going, It's rape. Not all rape is violent. Get over yourselves.

some men are incapable of treating it as rape unless there is a hypothetical female equivalent act. fucking idiots.

FyreWulff

Obviously it's a terrible thing to do...but I'm not sure it could be called rape 100% of the time.

If the person notices you removing the condom, tells you clearly to stop..but you continue to completion..then that's clearly rape.

..but if the person doesn't notice during the act ..is it rape? or just very wrong (due to tricking them into unsafe sex)?

yes, it's still rape

Not to doubt USA Today but is there actual evidence this is a real widespread phenomena, or is this just one of those things news/newspapers sensationalize for viewers? Like the time they said teenagers soak tampons with vodka and stick it up their ass to get drunk (not true), or kids shooting random strangers to get inducted into gangs (very rare), etc.

I'm sure there are some asshole guys out there that do this, but its a huge gap between "i heard a guy that did this' to "its a trend".

just look at the replies in this thread trying to explain how raping isn't rape and this isn't that far a leap to people doing this shit

Hylian7

Obviously it's a terrible thing to do...but I'm not sure it could be called rape 100% of the time.

If the person notices you removing the condom, tells you clearly to stop..but you continue to completion..then that's clearly rape.

..but if the person doesn't notice during the act ..is it rape? or just very wrong (due to tricking them into unsafe sex)?

If you steal something from someone and they don't notice...is it theft?

Maxinas

Now this is a weird trend...

"LOL guys I sneakily took off my condom and opened up my risk to contracting HIV and getting her pregnant and paying for her and a kid for the rest of my life! AWESOMMMEEEE"

This pretty much. It's beyond stupid. It's similar to a criminal actively leaving behind fingerprints or evidence that they did the crime and being proud of it, i just don't see any logic in this.

Acorn

I don't buy this being a new trend. Like suddenly assholes realised they could carry this out. I'm sure that this exact thing with a different name or none s happening when I was a teen in school getting sex ed like 16 years ago.

But hey more awareness doesn't hurt, so I guess the sensationalism can be overlooked.

Taker666

okay great. are you finished making your point now?

edit: I also did not know birth control prevented STDs. condom usage is a health issue as much as it is a pregnancy issue

Yep.

Just to make it clear, I have never nor would ever do "stealthing"..but from a legal point of view I think it would be very hard to find someone guilty of rape in regards to tricking someone into having unsafe sex. Now clearly STDs are another issue..if you knowingly do something that gives someone a dangerous disease then that should be a crime in itself.

Deepwater

Yep.

Just to make it clear, I have never nor would ever do "stealthing"..but from a legal point of view I think it would be very hard to find someone guilty of rape in regards to tricking someone into having unsafe sex. Now clearly STDs are another issue..if you knowingly do something that gives someone a dangerous disease then that should be a crime in itself.

this isn't a court of law

Taker666

This is a bad metric to use. You're literally saying it can't be rape if the victim doesn't notice it happening, which is kinda bad considering a lot of rape happens when the victim is passed out.

I mean... yeah, I'd probably agree to that.

As I said earlier in this thread, I had some extended family talking about doing just that so they wouldn't have to convince their husbands to have kids like actual adults should have to. I was fucking horrified. You're doing something your partner didn't consent to. That's rape.

Now, that's gonna be hard as fuck to prosecute and prove, obviously.

Well I was talking about the specific case of two people knowingly having sex while awake...but one tricking the other into having unsafe sex. Clearling if someone is drugged/passed out they can't give consent for any kind of sex and that would clearly be rape.

RDreamer

Well I was talking about the specific case of two people knowingly having sex while awake...but one tricking the other into having unsafe sex. Clearling if someone is drugged/passed out they can't give consent for any kind of sex and that would clearly be rape.

At this point you're just arguing that it'd be hard to prove in a court of law. I'm not sure why that matters as far as labeling it. If someone tells you they stealthily did something that their partner didn't consent to, then you don't need a court of law to prove they raped someone. You can fucking tell that person that just admitted it they raped someone. We, while talking about this scenario right now, can label this behavior rape regardless of how hard it is to actually prove.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This shit is by no means new. You'd hear about it ALL THE TIME in the AIDS crisis days. It was especially vile back then but by no means a good idea now. What idiots.

Dipper145

Had a girl do this to me back in my university days, was not happy about it and stopped seeing her after it happened.

Super messed up thing to do. Should definitely be a crime of some kind.

FStubbs

I mean, if I finished inside a girl who said she was on BC and then it pops up a few months later that she's pregnant with my kid and was never ever on BC I'd look in to my legal options yeah. Of course I'd also only do that with someone I trusted but still, shit happens.

Whether stealthing fits in to the bubble of what you consider rape or not is irrelevant, it's point blank, clear cut sexual assault.

I don't think you'd have legal options, really. You're paying child support.

AMERiSTAR

Neo Member
I mean come on dudes! You can post about anything online and not have to actually do it. What is there to gain besides STDs

I don't think you'd have legal options, really. You're paying child support.

I suppose and which is why I said I'd never do that with someone I didn't trust. I just meant that it's something that's clearly fucked up and I'd try and find possible legal options idk.

Round of applause to all the assholes in here who will never have to worry about choosing between the dangerous birth of an unwanted child and the undue shame of an increasingly difficult to acquire, expensive abortion, who will happily argue that a woman unduly and intentionally subjected to that sudden risk wasn't sexually violated. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

inb4 someone argues the semantics of being "sexually violated" vs. being "raped."

Oh, and not to leave male victims out (or anyone who isn't in danger of conceiving due to lack of protection), round of applause to all the assholes in here who seem completely incapable of understanding that, regardless of the risk of pregnancy or infection, there is still strong psychological response to rape and breaches of trust during intimate encounters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fuck's sake (heh), you're taking away their right to choose, their right to agency, and their control of their own body. Stop coddling shitstains that do this with lighter judgements, wrist slaps, and less severe terminology. Who and what are you trying to protect?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Wow, at some of you. Fucking idiots.

Yes, it's rape.

Sex is a choice or agreement between to people, like any contract. It has provisions. You violate the provisions, you're liable.

Let's break it down for some of you children.

If he/she says "stop" in the middle of sex and you keep going, it's rape. Duh.

If he/she says "sure, if you use a condom," then you were only given consent to sex on the provision that a condom is worn. If one is not worn, they are not consenting. JFC. If you keep going knowing full well you're breaking the agreement, knowing full well your partner would have told you to stop had they known what you were doing, It's rape. Not all rape is violent. Get over yourselves.

One and done.

If you've pulled this shit I wouldn't hesitate to call you a rapist.

ColdPizza

Banned
I don't buy this being a new trend. Like suddenly assholes realised they could carry this out. I'm sure that this exact thing with a different name or none s happening when I was a teen in school getting sex ed like 16 years ago.

But hey more awareness doesn't hurt, so I guess the sensationalism can be overlooked.

The "my pullout game is strong" meme is relatively new.

FyreWulff

okay so all you dime store fuckbaskets here's the thing

if someone doesn't consent to something, it's rape

if you think something might be rape, it is rape

if you have to ask yourself "is there the slightest hint they'd say no to what i'm about to do", it's rape

just because a woman has agreed to have sex that night does not mean you're free to whatever you want sexually to her "because she wanted sex already".

if a someone says they want sex but you need to use a condom, use the condom. sneaking the condom off is rape. they consented to condomed sex, not condomless sex.

if someone says they only want to make out, and you jam your fingers into their genitals because you want to "take control", you just raped them.

if a husband makes a wife have sex with them simply because they are married, it's rape. agreeing to marriage isn't agreeing to unlimited sex access. in fact, it has a specific term for the glade sniffers out there, marital rape.

okay, if you're gonna be pulling out edge cases, so here we go

if she says she wants a threesome with you and another guy, and you sneak in another guy into the room and have him have sex with her because you think it's funny, it's rape. Just because they consented to sex, consented to sex with multiple men, they did not consent to having sex with whatever multiple men you decided to change it to without their knowledge

so repeating again, get it through your heads

read it five times

sex and/or intimate touching without consent is rape.

consenting to sex and then having your consented-to-parameters changed is rape.

people can consent to narrowed parameters for how they want to do sex. Just because someone likes orgasms does not mean they will accept any orgasm forced upon them.

you can also orgasm while being raped. it's not something you can control.

consent can be withdrawn at any moment, time, by anyone, for any reason, and if you continue past it's rape. if you're balls deep inside her and about to explode and she says she's done, you pull out. "i just need to finish real quick" and keeping going is rape. Because the consent was withdrawn. This happens even in long relationships. It doesn't matter how much food you've given, money given, how many years together, you are at no time ever for a single god damn tick tock of the motherfucking grandfather clock of universal time ever entitled to access to another person's body for any reason what so ever.

no, "am i a rapist then if the condom broke by accident" replies,because that's not rape, that's an accident.

"do i need to ask her for consent for every little thing" affirmative consent is an awesome thing to practice. If you feel it's a burden to obtain consent, then stop having sex with other people because you're a god damn creep. Consent isn't always verbal.if you're heavy kissing in bed and you go "you want some of this d, babe?" and they nod yes, congrats you obtained consent. it isn't a goddamn field trip permission slip process like some people think it is. if you don't ask because you think they might say no or don't want to do it, you are on the highway to being a rapist, you chucklefuckasaurus rex.

women are already in a unique position of having to trust someone on average twice their size and strength when they want sex at a really vulnerable moment both physically and emotionally. and statistically,

hold on for it

most rape is committed by someone they know or love

so people trying to barter maybe-rape chips back and forth like "i dunno about that.. realllly" becaue they're more concerned about getting their fucking penis wet and badge unlocked that they forget there is a PERSON on the other side of this, get fucking consent. don't be a creep. don't be a rapist. all you have to do to not rape is simply not rape someone. it's not even complicated.

and goddamn every single time with the replies it's "but what if this woman does this" like you're trying to both sides this shit,

1) YOU NEVER SHOW UP IN MALE VICTIMS OF RAPES THREADS. IN FACT HALF THE TIME YOU POST THE FUCKING "NIIIIICE" JPG. There are male survivors on GAF that have literally given up participating in those threads because it's a tidal wave of "niiiice" and "he got some". Seriously. You. Never. Show. Up. When. Other. Men. Actually. Need . Supporters. It's all about "those fucking women and their rape card". Seriously just search for threads with rape in the title, ones about women will have a bunch of dudes running in to say women can rape too and pretty much just that line, while male ones are niiiice.jpg, what did she look like, welliwouldhadsexwithmyteachertoo, etc etc you actually almost NEVER EVER see those "women can be rapists too" posts in there. huh. strange. interesting.

if people spent half the time they do trying to categorize rapiness on their rapescale on obtaining consent, the world would be a much better place for everyone. Nobody would lose! NOBODY! LITERALLY NO DOWNSIDES TO OBTAINING AFFIRMATIVE CONSENT, EVER

Koomaster

I'm quite shocked it's not immediately considered rape. What the fuck else do you call it when the other person wouldn't consent to unsafe sex? A prank? This practice is sick, dangerous and should most definitely be illegal.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Let me get one of those kids and STDs.

Not even going to try and phantom this. What's the fucking point when this has only negative effects? You get her preggers? Lose. Get an STD? Lose. Get charged with sexual assault and rape? Lose.

Slayven

if you have to ask yourself "is there the slightest hint they'd say no to what i'm about to do", it's rape

just because a woman has agreed to have sex that night does not mean you're free to whatever you want sexually to her "because she wanted sex already".

if a someone says they want sex but you need to use a condom, use the condom. sneaking the condom off is rape. they consented to condomed sex, not condomless sex.

if someone says they only want to make out, and you jam your fingers into their genitals because you want to "take control", you just raped them.

if a husband makes a wife have sex with them simply because they are married, it's rape. agreeing to marriage isn't agreeing to unlimited sex access. in fact, it has a specific term for the glade sniffers out there, marital rape.

if she says she wants a threesome with you and another guy, and you sneak in another guy into the room and have him have sex with her because you think it's funny, it's rape. Just because they consented to sex, consented to sex with multiple men, they did not consent to having sex with whatever multiple men you decided to change it to without their knowledge

read it five times

people can consent to narrowed parameters for how they want to do sex. Just because someone likes orgasms does not mean they will accept any orgasm forced upon them.

consent can be withdrawn at any moment, time, by anyone, for any reason, and if you continue past it's rape. if you're balls deep inside her and about to explode and she says she's done, you pull out. "i just need to finish real quick" and keeping going is rape. Because the consent was withdrawn. This happens even in long relationships. It doesn't matter how much food you've given, money given, how many years together, you are at no time ever for a single god damn tick tock of the motherfucking grandfather clock of universal time ever entitled to access to another person's body for any reason what so ever.

no, "am i a rapist then if the condom broke by accident" replies,because that's not rape, that's an accident.

"do i need to ask her for consent for every little thing" affirmative consent is an awesome thing to practice. If you feel it's a burden to obtain consent, then stop having sex with other people because you're a god damn creep. Consent isn't always verbal.if you're heavy kissing in bed and you go "you want some of this d, babe?" and they nod yes, congrats you obtained consent. it isn't a goddamn field trip permission slip process like some people think it is. if you don't ask because you think they might say no or don't want to do it, you are on the highway to being a rapist, you chucklefuckasaurus rex.

women are already in a unique position of having to trust someone on average twice their size and strength when they want sex at a really vulnerable moment both physically and emotionally. and statistically,

hold on for it

so people trying to barter maybe-rape chips back and forth like "i dunno about that.. realllly" becaue they're more concerned about getting their fucking penis wet and badge unlocked that they forget there is a PERSON on the other side of this, get fucking consent. don't be a creep. don't be a rapist. all you have to do to not rape is simply not rape someone. it's not even complicated.

and goddamn every single time with the replies it's "but what if this woman does this" like you're trying to both sides this shit,

1) YOU NEVER SHOW UP IN MALE VICTIMS OF RAPES THREADS. IN FACT HALF THE TIME YOU POST THE FUCKING "NIIIIICE" JPG. There are male survivors on GAF that have literally given up participating in those threads because it's a tidal wave of "niiiice" and "he got some". Seriously. You. Never. Show. Up. When. Other. Men. Actually. Need . Supporters. It's all about "those fucking women and their rape card". Seriously just search for threads with rape in the title, ones about women will have a bunch of dudes running in to say women can rape too and pretty much just that line, while male ones are niiiice.jpg, what did she look like, welliwouldhadsexwithmyteachertoo, etc etc you actually almost NEVER EVER see those "women can be rapists too" posts in there. huh. strange. interesting.

if people spent half the time they do trying to categorize rapiness on their rapescale on obtaining consent, the world would be a much better place for everyone. Nobody would lose! NOBODY! LITERALLY NO DOWNSIDES TO OBTAINING AFFIRMATIVE CONSENT, EVER

Should be in the op of all threads like this

MechaX

31Fj3LL.gif

Man... I know some out there are like "my pullout game is on fleek," but goddamn.

Yes, I get that condomless sex is most times better. Personally, I tried it once, and no matter how good it felt at the time, it was absolutely not worth the fallout that happened afterwards.

Plus, if you're at the point where you have to sneak around doing anything in a sexual situation, you need to take a long hard look at yourself. Or just remember FyreWullf's post.

FStubbs

read it five times

hold on for it

Awesome post. Tell that to the President.

Two Words

My main problem with calling it rape is trying to assign equivalent punishment for it.

Let's say Chris and Mandy make the adult decision to have sex. Mandy tells Chris that she wants him to wear a condom. Chris says okay, but intentionally has unprotected sex with her anyways. Let's say for whatever reason Mandy was unaware that it was unprotected. After the fact, Mandy realizes that Chris didn't put on a condom.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have Chris bear the full weight of rape charges. Is Chris a shitty person? Yes. Should be liable to face legal troubles for his actions? Yes. But it is my opinion that a rape conviction is excessive. A lot of this has to do with how I feel about our legal system in general. I'll admit that my view on this can be flawed. But my feeling is that somebody who goes out and rapes people in the typical instance of rape is somebody who is largely incurable. At that point, it is just best to protect our society from this person. My feeling is that Chris' case may not fall into that. I would like for there to be a lighter sentencing that essentially says "You fucked up bad and you're gonna pay for this, but we're not going to lock you up for half your life over it."

My main problem with calling it rape is trying to assign equivalent punishment for it.

Let's say Chris and Mandy make the adult decision to have sex. Mandy tells Chris that she wants him to wear a condom. Chris says okay, but intentionally has unprotected sex with her anyways. Let's say for whatever reason Mandy was unaware that it was unprotected. After the fact, Mandy realizes that Chris didn't put on a condom.

I don't think it would be a good idea to have Chris bear the full weight of rape charges. Is Chris a shitty person? Yes. Should be liable to face legal troubles for his actions? Yes. But it is my opinion that a rape conviction is excessive. A lot of this has to do with how I feel about our legal system in general. I'll admit that my view on this can be flawed. But my feeling is that somebody who goes out and rapes people in the typical instance of rape is somebody who is largely incurable. At that point, it is just best to protect our society from this person. My feeling is that Chris' case may not fall into that. I would like for there to be a lighter sentencing that essentially says "You fucked up bad and you're gonna pay for this, but we're not going to lock you up for half your life over it."
Girl bitch WHAT? Chris potentially exposed Mandy to a host of sexually transmitted diseases-- not to mention a fucking FETUS that SHE would have to remove HERSELF against all political odds. How is that not invasive/rapey?

Gattsu25

Banned
Sex with condoms is a necessarily evil if you're both not willing to deal with the consequences.

First time without one was like...

yidUzHnBk32Um9aMMw.gif

There's a difference between:
A. Having (consensual) sex without a condom
B. Getting consent to have sex with a condom and then tricking your partner into unprotected sex that they didn't consent to

Non-consensual sex is called Rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom