• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valve soft launches Source 2 with Dota 2 port, Dota 2 Xbox reticule found, L4D3 refs

Interfectum

How would it be difficult? Left analog moves hero, right analog points direction. ABXY has the skills/spells, if its directional just tap, if not hold down for the range. Boom, dota with controller. Actually shoulder/triggers would be better as you could still move and change direction while using skills. Just same with items but have them in buttons or triggers whatever is not used for skils/spells.

Its never going to be as good as mouse + keyboard as the whole game is pretty much desigend around that.

Courier controls, map pinging, town portal scrolls, 3+ active items in your inventory, inability to watch fights as you are moving (fixed camera), Meepo, Nature's Prophet, etc, etc

It wouldn't work.

How would it be difficult? Left analog moves hero, right analog points direction. ABXY has the skills/spells, if its directional just tap, if not hold down for the range. Boom, dota with controller. Actually shoulder/triggers would be better as you could still move and change direction while using skills. Just same with items but have them in buttons or triggers whatever is not used for skils/spells.

Its never going to be as good as mouse + keyboard as the whole game is pretty much desigend around that.

So you have a fixed camera angle on your hero? Definitely wouldn't work.

Orayn

What you're describing is a nice idea for console MOBAs in general, but it wouldn't work well for Dota because there are way too many skills and items that need actual ground targeting with a mouse cursor and not just aiming in a single direction relative to your hero.

Yeah honestly, I DO believe it could be done, but your last statement....that's exactly why. I think they actually have to redesign the entire game.

FloorEssence

Neo Member

For heroes with more than 4 spells? What about a full inventory of active items, that's 6 extra buttons alone. How would you play meepo? How would you use sunstrike across the map? How would you quickly look on the other side of the map and then return without a minimap. How do you target single target spells? Ground targetting? How about last hitting? How do you type item names in the shop, or were you planning on spending a lot of time just sitting in base awkwardly scrolling through the complex item menu rather than playing How do you control multiple units, multiple illusions.

The game is nothing like Diablo 3 which has no targetting and is all hack and slash, single unit with no need for a map or global abilities, micro etc etc. I could go on for hours listing every little inconvenience but it seems some people here haven't played before.

Neper

Neo Member
They are making a crapload of money with DotA2 on their own platform (Steam), and it is helping attracting literally millions of users to it, why release it elsewhere?

collige

Banned

The problem is that an XBOX/PS4 controller has 16 buttons and two analog sticks. Dota requires 6 buttons for skills, 6 for items, then more for all of the following functions:
-Reselecting your hero
-cycling through units
-attack moving
-opening the shop
-pausing
-leveling up
-voice chat
-pinging

That's 20 at the very minimum, without getting into the issues of control groups and camera control. Then there also the issue of how to handle mouse based elements like selling items, fortifying, and buybacking if you're eschewing the pointer interface entirely. Porting Dota 2 to a regular controller would be impossible without fundamentally changing the game.

Volodja

You don't control your unit alone in Dota, it's an RTS type of control, you need to select it because you may have more units than one.
You NEED to move around the map indipendently from your hero, move other units, do 2 things at once.
A MOBA with a controller can be made, it can even be BASED on Dota 2, but it won't be Dota 2.
In a lot of cases you have to instantly switch between your hero and a specific point in the map, not even around you, but in the whole map. Dota is balanced around these concepts, changing controls means having to rebalance everything and that balance is necessary for Dota to work because it is a competitive game, the moment you break this balance you have a shitty product, really.
It can be done, but it would be a lot of work and the resulting game wouldn't be what we play now.

It's not going to have cross platform play though is it.

I remember the same being said about Diablo 3 and that worked well on consoles.
Diablo 3 on console is not exactly the same as Diablo 3 on pc.
And Diablo is infinitely easier to port than Dota to begin with because of the camera being centeredd on the hero and the control being direct.
The fact that it wouldn't have cross platform play doesn't matter, because some heroes would be more unusable than others in a console enviroment, some strategies harder to counter.
Chen would need to be remade completely.

flkraven

Yeah honestly, I DO believe it could be done, but your last statement....that's exactly why. I think they actually have to redesign the entire game.

Didn't people say the same thing about FPS games back in the day? I remember thinking that an FPSs had to be played with Keyboard and Mouse, but fast-forward to 2014 and console versions of CoD and Battlefield sell like gangbusters. I still feel the PC is the superior control scheme, but I own and play these games on console. Who says Dota couldn't be a similar?

flkraven

The problem is that an XBOX/PS4 controller has 16 buttons and two analog sticks. Dota requires 6 buttons for skills, 6 for items, then more for all of the following functions:
-Reselecting your hero
-cycling through units
-attack moving
-opening the shop
-pausing
-leveling up
-voice chat
-pinging

That's 20 at the very minimum, without getting into the issues of control groups and camera control. Then there also the issue of how to handle mouse based elements like selling items, fortifying, and buybacking if you're eschewing the pointer interface entirely. Porting Dota 2 to a regular controller would be impossible without fundamentally changing the game.

This might illicit a flame response, but how about Kinect?

Raic

Neo Member
Courier controls, map pinging, town portal scrolls, 3+ active items in your inventory, inability to watch fights as you are moving (fixed camera), Meepo, Nature's Prophet, etc, etc

It wouldn't work.

Buttons + shoulders is 8 buttons thats 4 for abilities and 4 for items. As for courier you could use a button(start or select) which opens a circle menu which is used a lot in games for console. Using teleport would open whole screen sized map which you click on.

As for fixed camera yeah, probably have to live with that. Or, you could just for example press the right analog to toggle fixed/not fixed camera. When its not fixed you can move it around and hero will always be looking in the center of the view.

Meepo, well there I can't think of anything thats remotetly usable way to do it.

Interfectum

Didn't people say the same thing about FPS games back in the day? I remember thinking that an FPSs had to be played with Keyboard and Mouse, but fast-forward to 2014 and console versions of CoD and Battlefield sell like gangbusters. I still feel the PC is the superior control scheme, but I own and play these games on console. Who says Dota couldn't be a similar?

A "MOBA" is possible on a controller. Dota 2 is impossible on a controller without some major changes which would no longer make it "Dota 2."

I feel like this has already been explained. It would be impossible to have Dota 2, as it is now, play well on a console without sacrificing a lot of what makes the game great. It just would not work.

Interfectum

Buttons + shoulders is 8 buttons thats 4 for abilities and 4 for items. As for courier you could use a button(start or select) which opens a circle menu which is used a lot in games for console. Using teleport would open whole screen sized map which you click on.

As for fixed camera yeah, probably have to live with that. Or, you could just for example press the right analog to toggle fixed/not fixed camera. When its not fixed you can move it around and hero will always be looking in the center of the view.

Meepo, well there I can't think of anything thats remotetly usable way to do it.

You can have 6 active items. Many heroes have over 4 abilities. And lots of heroes like Meepo require control of multiple units. Not to mention items like the Necronomicon.

collige

Banned
This might illicit a flame response, but how about Kinect?

I've never used the Xbox One Kinect, so I can't really comment on that. Mouse action would probably work better, but then you would either have to use a regular controller with one hand for skills or would have to manually click on them on screen. Not to mention how tired your arms would get after 40 straight minutes.

Raic

Neo Member
You can have 6 active items. Many heroes have over 4 abilities. And many heroes other than Meepo would be unplayable as well. Not to mention items like the Necronomicon.

I am aware, just giving you reasons why it could work. Ofc the game will require changes, for example on heroes with 6 abilities right now. But I do not think it needs complete overhaul which is something I feel people are saying would need to be done. How many has 6 items that needs to be in usable state all the time?

syko de4d

If MS wants a PC-moba on its console they should maybe try to get Smite, i think that would make more sense on console.
Dota2 wouldnt just work. Even Blizzards new Moba would be hard. You can make a moba on console but that moba should be designed for consoles from the start.

FloorEssence

Neo Member

Yet put Quake on console and see how well played that would be.. better than Dota yes but CoD is designed for console in mind and FPS games had to be dumbed down for console.

Nevertheless how would it even be done? It's essentially an RTS game with more keys to push. It would have to be extremely dumbed down, to the point where it's not even Dota anymore and would be incredibly inferior to the PC version. I don't think graphics really matter all that much when comparing console/PC versions, but if the game is completely stripped of it's elements removing all depth and ultimately enjoyment I can't see why anyone would actually want the game on console. I think people are just buying into the hype that it's the biggest game on steam but haven't actually played before.

Interfectum

I am aware, just giving you reasons why it could work. Ofc the game will require changes, for example on heroes with 6 abilities right now. But I do not think it needs complete overhaul which is something I feel people are saying would need to be done. How many has 6 items that needs to be in usable state all the time?

One of many examples: Two kinds of wards, mana boots, dust of disappearance, town portal, sheep stick = 6 active items

It would need a complete overhaul and Dota 2's balance would be completely upset, thus requiring a whole new balance team to keep the game competitive. At that point just make a new MOBA.

moggio

Banned
MAYBE with the Steam controller.

Maybe.

Even that is questionable for Dota controls. If someone can do it, I'm all for it. But I just have a hard time believing someone would be able to play demonstrably well against a keyboard and mouse.

Valve have already stated that Dota 2 does not work well with the Steam controller.

Dota 2 won't be coming to consoles, but I wouldn't be surprised if Dota TV was.

Guri

I don't play Dota 2, but while I don't believe in the game on consoles, I consider the possibility of adding controller support for PC. You guys say it would be very hard (or impossible) to implement. Could it work by holding A, B, X or Y, a small menu shows up, you use the analog sticker to select an action/item and it executes? To be clear, I wouldn't be interested and I'm sure you guys will think "why add controller support?", but I just wonder if that's why they added the reticule.

moggio

Banned
I don't play Dota 2, but while I don't believe in the game on consoles, I consider the possibility of adding controller support for PC. You guys say it would be very hard (or impossible) to implement. Could it work by holding A, B, X or Y, a small menu shows up, you use the analog sticker to select an action/item and it executes? To be clear, I wouldn't be interested and I'm sure you guys will think "why add controller support?", but I just wonder if that's why they added the reticule.

You can't play the game with a controller. You would be at an insurmountable disadvantage.

Darklord

Banned

You can't have controller support on the PC version. It's too fast and needs certain timing that a controller can't do. Players lose their shit enough already without being put into games with people on a handicap. It would be like adding controller support to Starcraft 2.

deadman69

many heroes have more than 4 abilities, also how do you do items?

Bsigg12

You can't play the game with a controller. You would be at an insurmountable disadvantage.

On a PC, sure. If they went through a developed a decent control scheme and had it out on a console, everyone would be on the same playing field. It could be done it's just a matter of is Valve really willing to rebuild control schemes specific to a console or would they be better off doing a new game entirely?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Contacted Besada, since Nirolak isn't online atm. Hopefully this gets sorted.

what gets sorted? It's a discussion about Valve's new games, engine and tools if this means anything for the console. Nobody is trolling, it's actually quite informative.

what gets sorted? It's a discussion about Valve's new games, engine and tools if this means anything for the console. Nobody is trolling, it's actually quite informative.

This thread is about Source 2 and not if Dota is coming to Xbox it or how it could translate to a controller.

Volodja

If you think it wouldn't need to be completely redone, you probably haven't thought this through.
The mouse and keyboard controls are integral part of the balancing effort for all the active items and skills, for the size of the maps, for the cooldowns and the channeling times.

Nature prophet being able to instantly move THEN teleport on the other side of the map is not something you can do on controller because you can't move around the map as fast. Blinking and instantly doing an aimed spell would be hard as shit. Being able to do complex commands instantly zipping around the screen is integral for a number of heroes (Storm Spirit).

Chen, Enchantress, Meepo would be unusable (and helm of the dominator would lose its purpose).

Illusion heroes would have less control over their shit, and this includes manta users.

Items that require you to aim at specific targets would have their efficacy reduced because of the controllers being slower than a mouse, thus buffing some heroes with instant reaction spells (like leap) or bkb against shit like blink hex and the like.

Hell, just think how awkward it would be to last hit and deny with a controller.

On a PC, sure. If they went through a developed a decent control scheme and had it out on a console, everyone would be on the same playing field. It could be done it's just a matter of is Valve really willing to rebuild control schemes specific to a console or would they be better off doing a new game entirely?
Specific mechanics and heroes would be impacted differently by the control changes, thus destroying the pretty damn complex balance of the game.

I repeat, it is possible to make a MOBA on consoles that is somewhat closer to PC mobas, but it won't be a direct Dota port, it'd be incredibly different and it would have to be completely rebalanced.

But yeah, we are kind of dragging this whole thing out of topic.

GoaThief

This thread has deteriorated from Source 2 engine tools/editor conversation to 'is Dota 2 coming to XBO y/n'
Have to agree it's a bit off putting.

Started nice, fast forward to end and it's basically irrelevant noise. I would much prefer to be reading all the little tidbits people have discovered whilst poking around in the Source 2 stuff.

I'm particularly eager for L4D3 information too.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
This thread is about Source 2 and not if Dota is coming to Xbox it or how it could translate to a controller.

blame whoever changed the thread title then.

If you just want to treat it like the comment section at the bottom of a news post then that's fine. There's no discussion to be had so I won't bother.

hey, Nirolak edited that part in :p

I know I know, it's nobodies fault! (except Nirolak's :p) But what it's meant is that we've gone down the slippery slope into 'can PC MOBAs work on consoles'. Which in of itself is a legitimate discussion, but sorrtttaa getting further off the beaten track of why this update is exciting.

aeolist

Banned

they would simply have to remove enough mechanics, items, and heroes that it would be a different and much simpler game, plus they'd have to entirely rebalance it around the remaining parts.

they could make a console dota game, sure. it wouldn't be dota 2.

Concept17

It's almost been 5 years since L4D2 came out.

5 years. Half a decade since the GOTG came out.

Come on Valve, just let it out.

Interfectum

I know I know, it's nobodies fault! But what it's meant is that we've gone down the slippery slope into 'can PC MOBAs work on consoles'. Which in of itself is a legitimate discussion, but sorrtttaa getting further off the beaten track of why this update is exciting.

I think the discussion is can Dota 2 work on controller. The answer to that is no. If the discussion was could a MOBA work on a controller, then the answer would be yes as we've already had an example on consoles.

Top Bottom